PDA

View Full Version : Broncos could bring back Justin Bannan, Jamal Williams

turftoad
05-15-2011, 11:56 AM
On March third, the Broncos released defensive linemen Justin Bannan and Jamal Williams in cost-cutting moves.

The cuts were seen as part of the team’s attempt to correct the mistakes of the Josh McDaniels era. Bannan and Williams were overpaid and seemed like better fits for a 3-4 defense than John Fox’s scheme.

Read the rest here: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/05/15/broncos-could-bring-back-justin-bannan-jamal-williams/

TXBRONC
05-15-2011, 12:11 PM
On March third, the Broncos released defensive linemen Justin Bannan and Jamal Williams in cost-cutting moves.

The cuts were seen as part of the team’s attempt to correct the mistakes of the Josh McDaniels era. Bannan and Williams were overpaid and seemed like better fits for a 3-4 defense than John Fox’s scheme.

Read the rest here: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/05/15/broncos-could-bring-back-justin-bannan-jamal-williams/

It's not hatered to criticize McDaniels' personnel moves. They sucked wind.

topscribe
05-15-2011, 12:11 PM
It is my understanding that Bannan is considered a better fit for the 4-3, and I
think I remember his saying something to that effect in one of his radio
interviews . . .

-----

turftoad
05-15-2011, 12:12 PM
A leaner Vickerson plans to fit just fine in new defense for Broncos

The rest: http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_18054727?source=rss

TXBRONC
05-15-2011, 12:13 PM
It is my understanding that Bannan is considered a better fit for the 4-3, and I
think I remember his saying so in one of his radio interviews . . .

-----

Agreed. I also think they are mistaken Bannan has spent his entire career in a 3-4 defense.

Lonestar
05-15-2011, 12:37 PM
Just DI not see how he is going to be a 3 down player at DT @285.

He was not good enough at 310.

nevcraw
05-15-2011, 01:08 PM
Just DI not see how he is going to be a 3 down player at DT @285.

He was not good enough at 310.

ask the new DC -- he thinks he will.

Sinthor
05-15-2011, 01:51 PM
I was not surprised that Jamal Williams was cut; it seemed clear age had caught up with him as he was not the same as he had been at San Diego. I WAS surprised they cut Bannan, as he seemed to have played well and been the one consistent piece of the d-line that I saw last year. Wouldn't be a shock to me at all if they ended up bringing him back..

TXBRONC
05-15-2011, 02:20 PM

Yep. It's up to Allen to figure it out.

BigSarge87
05-15-2011, 02:34 PM
I just realized I can type www.broncosforums.com WAY faster than I can type my full name.

Wow.

Sorry, back to topic.

Yes Bannon, no Williams.

topscribe
05-15-2011, 02:35 PM

With his athleticism and quickness, Vick looks to be a UT. He never had the
opportunity to play that since the D-line in a 3-4 amounts to three glorified NTs . . .

-----

dogfish
05-15-2011, 02:36 PM
yea, let's bring back the guys that started for the worst run defense in the league. . .

now that's ****ing brilliant!

topscribe
05-15-2011, 02:36 PM
I just realized I can type www.broncosforums.com WAY faster than I can type my full name.

Wow.

Sorry, back to topic.

Yes Bannon, no Williams.

:shocked:

:laugh:

-----

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
05-15-2011, 02:43 PM
interviews . . .

-----

I sure hope he's a better fit in a 4-3 if we bring him back, because, well....

TXBRONC
05-15-2011, 03:02 PM
yea, let's bring back the guys that started for the worst run defense in the league. . .

Dog it's good to see ya friend. :beer:

I understand your frustration I just hope Fox and Allen know what they're doing.

HORSEPOWER 56
05-15-2011, 03:14 PM
interviews . . .

-----

He's also made it public that he's willing to take less money to go back to Baltimore. He wants to play for a winning team... That ain't us...

BigSarge87
05-15-2011, 03:15 PM
I think Allen is kinda stuck with whoever they can get him so of course he's going to praise them at this point. I wouldn't be suprised if he had his fingers crossed behind his back when he said that, though.

Lonestar
05-15-2011, 03:26 PM

Think your right but then, it may be down for any port in a storm time since the fubared the draft.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
05-15-2011, 03:55 PM
I realize it's not a popular sentiment, but I think J-Wall would be a good fit in Fox's D. John Fox has a history of using guys that are prototypical 3-4 NT's in his 4-3. Kemoteau is no more athletic than J-Wall is.

Additionally, J-Wall atleast had some good games last year. I believe Bannan graded out negatively in almost every game he played in last year. He was easily our worst starting defensive lineman, with the exception of McBean. Even Thomas graded out better than Bannan most games.

I'm befuddled as to why some are so eager to see Bannan come back. He was the worst player of a four man rotation invovled in one of the worst run D's this team has ever seen.

BigSarge87
05-15-2011, 04:05 PM
I don't follow the stats religiously like some of you do. I said I'd be interested in Bannon only because I vaguely remember him making a decent play once in a while. I can't remember Williams even being in the game.

If the numbers say Williams will be better, sweet. Either way, they probably only get playing time if we come up with nothing out of FA, right?

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
05-15-2011, 04:08 PM
I don't follow the stats religiously like some of you do. I said I'd be interested in Bannon only because I vaguely remember him making a decent play once in a while. I can't remember Williams even being in the game.

If the numbers say Williams will be better, sweet. Either way, they probably only get playing time if we come up with nothing out of FA, right?

You're probably right. I personally thought Williams played well in the second half of the season. He was always doubled, and never was moved off the LOS.

Bannan on the other hand, was never doubled, and yet still gave up big plays.

Vickerson actually graded out better than all of them.

I Eat Staples
05-15-2011, 06:48 PM
I really don't want to see either of them in a Broncos uniform ever again.

And Vickerson getting leaner? What the hell? Since when does a player moving from DE to DT lose weight?

rcsodak
05-15-2011, 07:15 PM
I really don't want to see either of them in a Broncos uniform ever again.

And Vickerson getting leaner? What the hell? Since when does a player moving from DE to DT lose weight?

He's losing FAT and adding muscle. Muscle, last I saw, weighed more.
He's into it. The coaches are into it. They want speed and strength....not slow and fat.

BORDERLINE
05-16-2011, 12:33 PM
I hope they don't bring them back. Williams disappeared in games at times. Kind of crazy how a 300+ pound fat guy can just vanish into thin air. I think McFadden is still running through Mile High as we speak

rcsodak
05-16-2011, 12:47 PM
I hope they don't bring them back. Williams disappeared in games at times. Kind of crazy how a 300+ pound fat guy can just vanish into thin air. I think McFadden is still running through Mile High as we speak
One player was not the reason for the lack of D.

TXBRONC
05-16-2011, 01:37 PM

I don't see us getting much out of a 35 year old nose tackle who over the last few years has had trouble staying healthy.

gobroncsnv
05-16-2011, 10:47 PM
Yeah, the coaches have indeed expressed that they think they have some decent DT's already on the team. My jury is still out on that...

TXBRONC
05-17-2011, 07:01 AM
Yeah, the coaches have indeed expressed that they think they have some decent DT's already on the team. My jury is still out on that...

I'm with everyone who is skeptical that the defensive tackles we have are decent. But I am hopeful because Fox knows defense and Allen seems like he's a up and comer as a defensive coordinator.

That said, even with as good as Fox with defense I'm not sure any amount of scheming can stem the effects of aging.

Lonestar
05-17-2011, 08:56 AM
He's into it. The coaches are into it. They want speed and strength....not slow and fat.

Yet when the rubber meets the road if your "anchor" at DT is outweighed by the center or either guard by 20+ pounds that means the LB will be fighting off those same guys before they can make the tackle

Lonestar
05-17-2011, 08:58 AM

Who would that be? Vickerson is the only DT we have under con tract

SOCALORADO.
05-17-2011, 09:37 AM
I'm with everyone who is skeptical that the defensive tackles we have are decent. But I am hopeful because Fox knows defense and Allen seems like he's a up and comer as a defensive coordinator.

That said, even with as good as Fox with defense I'm not sure any amount of scheming can stem the effects of aging.

Ok, Tex. Let the record show that Tex is "hopeful" of Fox and his coaching abilities in all facets of the game. We all got it.

Now, you better start packing on those pounds man, cause DEN has nobody to man the middle of that 32nd ranked d-line. You know, the one that was run over by a freight train up the middle all last year.
Anyone who thinks that coaching can cure this mess on the line with the players currently on the roster is on dope.
You should be "hoping" for FA, cause its all you got left.

TXBRONC
05-17-2011, 11:11 AM
Ok, Tex. Let the record show that Tex is "hopeful" of Fox and his coaching abilities in all facets of the game. We all got it.

Now, you better start packing on those pounds man, cause DEN has nobody to man the middle of that 32nd ranked d-line. You know, the one that was run over by a freight train up the middle all last year.
Anyone who thinks that coaching can cure this mess on the line with the players currently on the roster is on dope.
You should be "hoping" for FA, cause its all you got left.

I've worked to hard to take off weight I don't want to put it back on. :D

I hope you're not calling dope because I never said they could just stand pat. They said they have plan for free agency we'll see what happens.

turftoad
05-17-2011, 12:34 PM
I've worked to hard to take off weight I don't want to put it back on. :D

I hope you're not calling dope because I never said they could just stand pat. They said they have plan for free agency we'll see what happens.

No to mention that it going to take more than one draft to fix a McDaniels depleted roster. :tsk:

dogfish
05-17-2011, 01:07 PM
“If I ever get a chance to play Carolina I’m going to make them pay for passing up on me,” Dareus told Michael Irvin on WQAM Monday via BuffaloBills.com. “Denver I’ll get a chance to play them in the regular season and I’m going to make it hell for them every time I play against them.”

“My sole focus was for me not to give you a reason to not pick me and you still don’t?” Dareus said. “Okay, I understand you have needs somewhere else, but if you need somebody to control your front and be a commander across the front and not let anything happen? I work my butt off to do that, and you pass me up still? Okay, I’ve got something for you.”

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/05/17/marcell-dareus-plans-to-make-it-hell-for-broncos-for-passing-on-him/

Ravage!!!
05-17-2011, 01:22 PM
oh brother... I hope our guys don't fall over while shaking in their boots.

nevcraw
05-17-2011, 01:29 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/05/17/marcell-dareus-plans-to-make-it-hell-for-broncos-for-passing-on-him/

I am sure we will all be happy with Von but I think dareus is going to be a beast and love the attitude for getting retribution on those that passed.

topscribe
05-17-2011, 01:36 PM

Makes me even more glad the Broncos passed him up. Such arrogance.

I'm sure Von Miller will have something to say when they have the ball . . .

-----

nevcraw
05-17-2011, 01:44 PM

-----

LOL - yeah - he should have said -- "good choice panthers / broncos for passing on me. Von will be a much better player".

topscribe
05-17-2011, 01:46 PM
LOL - yeah - he should have said -- "good choice panthers / broncos for passing on me. Von will be a much better player".

How about, "I am grateful to the Broncos for considering me. Von Miller is a great player, too"?

I guess that might seem unreasonable on this board. Figures. :coffee:

-----

TXBRONC
05-17-2011, 01:58 PM

-----

I don't see it as arrogance. He's going to play with chip on his shoulder.

nevcraw
05-17-2011, 02:29 PM
How about, "I am grateful to the Broncos for considering me. Von Miller is a great player, too"?

I guess that might seem unreasonable on this board. Figures. :coffee:

-----

if the tough talk in this manly sport make you uneasy there's alway ballroom dancing. ;)

Lonestar
05-17-2011, 02:43 PM
No to mention that it going to take more than one draft to fix a McDaniels depleted roster. :tsk:

Once again the mantra Joshes depleted roster.

Pray tell who are these players he for rid of.

Maybe the 8 starters from 08 that iirc are not in the NFL any longer. Certainly none of them are starters.

If you mean jay, BM, ts, Hamilton,hills, the aging center. All but jay was given a chance to adapt, learn the Playbook and perform.

Jay whined his way out of town after asking for a Trade the day Josh was announced and having his panties in a wad as normal.
BM was given a chance to act like an adult but failed to do so.
Ts no one knows for sure but iirc he is #3 TE in det.
Hamilton could not hold a block in fact had problems years ago in pass protection.
Hollis I'll give you that one
Casey Same as Hamilton.
So tell me. How depleted. Was it.

Lonestar
05-17-2011, 02:45 PM
Btw all were replaced with players that did as well or better than those they replaced.

So who did we lose. that was not replaced already, perhaps you should be bit pissd about the poor players that mikey left behind. that Josh had to replace.

Lonestar
05-17-2011, 02:50 PM

-----

What else would you want him to say.

I'd encourage him to be vocal like that to me it shows purpose and competitive blood.

TXBRONC
05-17-2011, 02:54 PM

On the offensive side of the ball to be sure.

On the defensive side of the ball McDaniels just kept the status quo. The only difference is that that he switch to 3-4 base alignment.

I Eat Staples
05-17-2011, 02:56 PM

But I read that he weighed less...

BORDERLINE
05-17-2011, 03:00 PM
One player was not the reason for the lack of D.

Oh I concur.

I just imagine a guy that Fat and Huge would be hard to move around. He looked like a swiffer wet jet on my kitchen floor.

rcsodak
05-18-2011, 12:53 PM
But I read that he weighed less...yes....NOW. ;)