PDA

View Full Version : Broncos' Allen plays waiting game

TXBRONC
05-15-2011, 08:23 AM
Krieger: Broncos' Allen plays waiting game
By Dave Krieger
Denver Post Columnist
Posted: 05/15/2011 01:00:00 AM MDT

Dennis Allen has a dream job. The son of a pro football player, he grew up to be a standout college player and then a coach. Now, at age 38, he's a first-time NFL defensive coordinator.

He's ready. He has schemes and blitzes, multiple fronts designed to disguise multiple fronts.

Just one problem: He has no one to coach.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_18066245

I hope they labor disputed settled soon because I want see what Allen brings to the table.

TXBRONC
05-15-2011, 08:32 AM
Krieger: Broncos' Allen plays waiting game
By Dave Krieger
Denver Post Columnist
Posted: 05/15/2011 01:00:00 AM MDT

For now, trapped between the factions in a senseless labor dispute, the Broncos' new D-coordinator draws his diagrams and watches his video and waits for his audience to arrive.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_18066245

Freakin stupid is what this labor dispute is. :tsk:

Denver Native (Carol)
05-15-2011, 01:28 PM
I liked the following from the article:

"I tell you what, the amazing thing about coaches is we always find something to do," the Broncos' sixth defensive coordinator in six years said Friday with the NFL lockout plodding through its third month.

"Like right now we've spent the last couple days sitting around studying the AFC West. Most of us haven't played in this division, so we're just kind of taking a look at Kansas City and San Diego and Oakland and trying to look at matchups and kind of schematically what these teams are going to do."

The best Allen could do was provide players with their new defensive playbooks when the lockout was lifted for a matter of hours last month. It's a little head start on what may well be an abbreviated training camp.

"As much as anything else, they can get familiar with the terminology so that the first time they hear something, whether it be schematically a defense we're going to call or just a technique in how we're going to play something, they've heard it before," Allen said.

"It's obviously not as good as if they've got the coach right there explaining everything that's on the page and there's interaction and questions and answers. But it's better than no information at all."

And there's a lot of new information. With bookend pass rushers Elvis Dumervil and rookie Von Miller, the Broncos hope to attack on defense from Day One.

"With an aggressive, pressuring style of defense, we've put together a team that's going to be able to get after the quarterback," Allen pledged.

http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_18066245

TXBRONC
05-15-2011, 02:28 PM
I liked the following from the article:

http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_18066245

Man do I wish stupid labor dispute was over. I'm sorry I sound like a broken record but I just wish this stupid labor dispute was over. :tsk: :tsk: :tsk:

BigSarge87
05-15-2011, 03:11 PM
Man do I wish stupid labor dispute was over. I'm sorry I sound like a broken record but I just wish this stupid labor dispute was over. :tsk: :tsk: :tsk:

I'm with ya TX, its frustrating as hell. But I'm still willing to lose a few games this year (or even the season, gulp) to insure the players don't ruin the league for a decade. By players, I mean their lawyers.

I should stop reading articles on it. The more I read the more it makes me sick the way the lawyers are absolutely abusing the owners, fans, players and the courts to get rich. I'll never understand how Doty didn't rule the decertification as a sham when it was the exact definition of a sham. There's no way the NFLPA took the risk of decertifying without some prior reassurance from the court they would get away with it. If it would have backfired they would have lost everything. No article anywhere (that I could find) ever explained why it wasn't a sham except to say "The sham defense will never hold up to Doty".

I hope the Supreme Court change their minds and decide to get involved and the NFLPA's lawyers get 'good 'ol boyed' by the owners the same way it seems they got to Doty. Just seems like there is a lot of 'not so pure' politics involved. I'm absolutely sure that NO ONE besides the owners have the best interests of the game as their highest priority in these matters.

I know this has nothing to do with the OP. Sorry.

Go Allen! There.

rcsodak
05-15-2011, 03:17 PM
http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_18018583?obref=obinsite

Kiz: There are two eternal truths in Broncos Nation. Josh McDaniels did nothing right. John Elway can do no wrong. Trouble is: Neither belief is 100 percent accurate. If McDaniels had been in charge of this draft, then failed to land a true defensive lineman until the final round, he would have been lambasted for being reckless and arrogant. It is difficult to convincingly argue that Miami's Orlando Franklin, an offensive lineman whose best position in the NFL remains to be determined, was a top 75 talent in this draft. The Broncos picked Franklin 46th overall. Isn't that the very definition of a reach, based on need? Nobody knows how long an aching knee of Bowers will hold up. But, if Bowers can stay on the field, there's a Pro Bowl in his future. That was indeed a risk worth taking with the 14th pick of the second round by a Denver team in desperate need of playmakers.

Abso-freakin-lutely!

horsepig
05-15-2011, 03:35 PM
Yeah, RC, that one's a head scratcher. Allen and Fox must have been locked in the closet during that pick.

TXBRONC
05-15-2011, 03:43 PM
I'm with ya TX, its frustrating as hell. But I'm still willing to lose a few games this year (or even the season, gulp) to insure the players don't ruin the league for a decade. By players, I mean their lawyers.

I should stop reading articles on it. The more I read the more it makes me sick the way the lawyers are absolutely abusing the owners, fans, players and the courts to get rich. I'll never understand how Doty didn't rule the decertification as a sham when it was the exact definition of a sham. There's no way the NFLPA took the risk of decertifying without some prior reassurance from the court they would get away with it. If it would have backfired they would have lost everything. No article anywhere (that I could find) ever explained why it wasn't a sham except to say "The sham defense will never hold up to Doty".

I hope the Supreme Court change their minds and decide to get involved and the NFLPA's lawyers get 'good 'ol boyed' by the owners the same way it seems they got to Doty. Just seems like there is a lot of 'not so pure' politics involved. I'm absolutely sure that NO ONE besides the owners have the best interests of the game as their highest priority in these matters.

I know this has nothing to do with the OP. Sorry.

Go Allen! There.

No big deal.

BigSarge87
05-15-2011, 04:00 PM
Cute.

Denver Native (Carol)
05-15-2011, 04:48 PM
Name: Orlando Franklin
College: Miami Number: 74
Height: 6-6 Weight: 316
Position: OT Pos2: OG
Class/Draft Year: rSr/2011
40 Time: 5.11 40 Low: 5.06 40 High: 5.22
Projected Round: 2-3 Stock: High: 2 Low: 3
Rated number 8 out of 87 OT's

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=69937&draftyear=2011&genpos=OG

rcsodak
05-15-2011, 06:24 PM
Name: Orlando Franklin
College: Miami Number: 74
Height: 6-6 Weight: 316
Position: OT Pos2: OG
Class/Draft Year: rSr/2011
40 Time: 5.11 40 Low: 5.06 40 High: 5.22
Projected Round: 2-3 Stock: High: 2 Low: 3
Rated number 8 out of 87 OT's

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=69937&draftyear=2011&genpos=OG

3picks in rds 2-3, carol. They had to address OT before the most glaring deficit of the team?

Like Klis said....if this was mcd...... :eek:

nevcraw
05-15-2011, 07:45 PM
3picks in rds 2-3, carol. They had to address OT before the most glaring deficit of the team?

thats cuz you and the sports writers can't see the big picture. McD is judged for the many many stupid moves and elway has yet to show the impulsiveness of 6 year old on a sugar high that defined the reign of terror of Mcd.

TXBRONC
05-15-2011, 08:10 PM

Klis didn't write it the article Mark Kiszla did.

Denver Native (Carol)
05-15-2011, 08:19 PM

Why don't we wait and see what kind of a team Elway puts on the field before criticizing. Possibly the most glaring deficit will be addressed in a trade or FA. :confused:

rationalfan
05-15-2011, 08:27 PM
thats cuz you and the sports writers can't see the big picture. McD is judged for the many many stupid moves and elway has yet to show the impulsiveness of 6 year old on a sugar high that defined the reign of terror of Mcd.

don't use revisionist history. mcd was criticized by many people on here and everywhere for every single move after the cutler situation. he was never given a fair chance to prove his worth. unfortunately, his worth wasn't much.

TXBRONC
05-15-2011, 08:41 PM
Why don't we wait and see what kind of a team Elway puts on the field before criticizing. Possibly the most glaring deficit will be addressed in a trade or FA. :confused:

Elway and Fox have explained several times the thinking that that went into making the picks that they did. I believer they have given sound reasoning for making the picks they made. I was really hoping that Denver would draft at least one defensive tackle and that was a little disappointing. However, I'm going roast them because they didn't take one. They say they stuck to their board and while some really reputable analysts make note of the fact that Denver didn't a defensive tackle they still think Denver did a good job. Obviously we wont know if they didn't for about three years but attm it looks likes Denver did a pretty good job overall.

All indications are that Ryan Harris wont be retained. If that's case then we needed an offensive tackle. Maybe with Franklin's nasty disposition on the field Denver can bring some physicality to the offensive line especially in short yardage and goal line situations.

Ravage!!!
05-15-2011, 08:42 PM
McD was judged on the Cutler trade, then continued to prove those detractors right. McD has earned EVERY single right to be called the worst coach the Broncos have ever had... and what most fans have ever SEEN.

Until this regime has done anything NEARLY as dumb and idiotic as McD had done over and over again, then its absurd to say that the choices should be judged on the same level. As of right now, Fox and Elway haven't made a mistake. They will, for certain, but until that point.......

TXBRONC
05-15-2011, 08:53 PM
don't use revisionist history. mcd was criticized by many people on here and everywhere for every single move after the cutler situation. he was never given a fair chance to prove his worth. unfortunately, his worth wasn't much.

RF he didn't handle that situation very well so he didn't make a very good first impression. That aside, it doesn't matter what we think about in the long run Bowlen's opinion is the one that truly matters. The bottom line for me is that I like players a chance to prove themselves.

Lonestar
05-15-2011, 09:48 PM

Well I'll guess that many will jump on the last statement just because they hate the guy.

And beloved John will do no wrong.

The irony of it all.

Actually the hypocrisy of them all.

Lonestar
05-15-2011, 09:53 PM

That has yet to be determined unless the members here drum all of his draft chiices out of town also.

I suspect unless the current coaching staff feels the need to purge them just because, most of not all will prove themselves more than adequate, to get the on done.

Now when I say adequate I mean solid starters for years to come.
Maybe not pro blowers like all of johns men have already been pro claimed but solid work horses OCR the next decade.

Timmy!
05-15-2011, 09:58 PM
Actually the hypocrisy of them all.

http://www.reece-eu.net/gallery/var/albums/funny/Pot%20Kettle%20Black.jpg?m=1272636617

TXBRONC
05-15-2011, 09:59 PM
McD was judged on the Cutler trade, then continued to prove those detractors right. McD has earned EVERY single right to be called the worst coach the Broncos have ever had... and what most fans have ever SEEN.

Until this regime has done anything NEARLY as dumb and idiotic as McD had done over and over again, then its absurd to say that the choices should be judged on the same level. As of right now, Fox and Elway haven't made a mistake. They will, for certain, but until that point.......

I didn't the moves joshy was making but I did give him a chance. If had won more games I think the criticism would have died down considerably.

rationalfan
05-16-2011, 11:02 AM
That aside, it doesn't matter what we think about in the long run Bowlen's opinion is the one that truly matters.

can i use this to counter every flawed, re-tread topic on this board? please?

if only it was that easy.

TXBRONC
05-16-2011, 11:03 AM

You don't need my permission.

rationalfan
05-16-2011, 11:34 AM
You don't need my permission.

again, if only it was that easy.

rcsodak
05-16-2011, 12:04 PM

Lol....how long you think that would float?

TXBRONC
05-16-2011, 01:40 PM
again, if only it was that easy.

You're not being rational. :D

Bosco
05-16-2011, 02:54 PM
I'm starting to warm up to this Allen kid. Working under two very good defensive minds in Fox and Williams should have him on the path to being a very good DC.

rcsodak
05-16-2011, 03:39 PM
I'm starting to warm up to this Allen kid. Working under two very good defensive minds in Fox and Williams should have him on the path to being a very good DC.
Well, luckily for him the ceiling will be pretty low, and he wont have any big shoes to fill.

Bosco
05-16-2011, 04:16 PM
Well, luckily for him the ceiling will be pretty low, and he wont have any big shoes to fill.

That will certainly help.

SOCALORADO.
05-16-2011, 04:19 PM

Yeah, as long as Fox is the HC, not really worried about Allen screwing up, being that Fox ultimately will have the overall say in how the defense will play, line up, scheme, etc,etc.

rcsodak
05-16-2011, 04:30 PM
Yeah, as long as Fox is the HC, not really worried about Allen screwing up, being that Fox ultimately will have the overall say in how the defense will play, line up, scheme, etc,etc.
Oh? I haven't read where he'll be like that at all. He was singing allens praises loud enough, it came across more like he'll help, give advice, maybe intercede only if necessary?

Bosco
05-16-2011, 04:40 PM
Oh? I haven't read where he'll be like that at all. He was singing allens praises loud enough, it came across more like he'll help, give advice, maybe intercede only if necessary?

I imagine that Fox will keep tighter reigns on him at the start and then let him have more control as he becomes more experienced.

rcsodak
05-18-2011, 01:18 PM
Well, one can only guess....