PDA

View Full Version : Bye Week Blues

BroncoAV06
10-23-2008, 10:42 PM
In case you were wondering why you feel a bit woozy the reason is we have all been on the roller coaster that is the Denver Broncos. This off-season Denver hit pay dirt with its first two picks in the draft landing a potential franchise left tackle, Ryan Clady, and a fire cracker beside Marshal in wide-out Eddie Royal. With the continuing development of Jay Cutler behind center the offense with its two news toys came out on fire. The first few weeks they looked just like a Big 12 team. Even with out Brandon Marshal for the first game of the season Denver's offense put up 40+ against the lowly Raiders and really found out what they had in Eddie Royal. After that 3-0 start the Broncos have sputtered to a 4-3 record with a defense that looks just like last years and an offense that enjoys shooting itself in the foot.

The bye week could not have come at a better time with a banged up team and captains starting to spout off about work ethic. I don't think we will see the caliber of offense we saw to start the season but I fully expect Cutler to build on his 64% completion rate, 266 yds/gm, and add to his 12 TD's; Marshal to build on his reception total, and someone to well I don't know if there will be a solid run game. Now they are not perfect, the offense needs to keep its mitts on the ball and Jay, which is scary, still can take his game to the next level. But the question that has yet to be answered what will the defense do?

30th in total defense, 394.6 yards against, 6.2 yards per play, 27.9 ppg, 195 points surrendered overall.

That what the tombstone of the defense reads at the moment. Detroit and Kansas City are the only two teams worse then Denver on defense, both give up over 400 yards a game and at the moment the Lions are on pace to not win a game and KC is looking at only winning one game, and it just happened to be against the Broncos. All we heard early in the season is that the defenders were just not on the same page, it will be ok, they will work it out, uh no. How many post game pressers does it take with a defender saying those things till it happens? So far it is seven and counting... In the after math of the MNF meltdown players while not coming out and saying it were putting a lot on the shoulders of this team during the bye week, maybe even the outcome of the season. The bye week has worked out for such teams as the St. Louis Rams. Not only were the 0-4 with horrid a horrid offense and defense but they fired Scott Lanihan as well. Jim Haslett was able to rally the troops and the Rams are coming off victories over Washington and Dallas (all be it without Romo) and feeling good heading into New England which should be an interesting match-up of teams on cloud 9. Can the Broncos pull it together?

I am usually always looking for the bright spot, trying to take all I can away from the game as a fan, but at the moment not so much. 3-4/4-3 its just not working. With a defense that was having so much trouble getting Slowik's 4-3 scheme down a 3-4 try-out would seem like a no brainer but it just compounds the problems. In a 3-4 you need gap control and everyone to be on top of their responsibilities, this defense does neither well. Holes open backers and safeties are late to fill and there is no such thing as a pass rush. Add salt to the wound as the whole field is now open with the lose of Pro Bowl, all universe defender Champ Bailey and LB Boss Bailey. Can it be fixed in a week? No, but can the players get back to basics, yes. Now I don't think basics is going to improve anything but at least players hustling to the right spots and using the correct forms to make tackles would be nice.

One thing is for sure the Broncos have to decide. What defense will this team run? No switch-ups mid season, at the moment it is I guess what they have to do to get by. Do they shoot for a 3-4, mold Moss and Doom into outside linebackers, try and get Robertson to by into playing the 3-4 nose position, Crowder/Thomas as the ends or just go with the good ole 4-3. The Broncos loaded up on lineman this off-season, moved DJ into his natural spot and were hoping to find any type of pass rush and we know how that went. In either case the defense you would assume would again be a major focus. When you only have one player at each level that you know you can count on you have work to do, Doom up front, DJ behind, and Champ in the secondary. Now Thomas is still a wild card IMO, but he is still young and entering his 3rd season, which in most cases is when you start to see lineman emerge, there is a ray of hope there. As for the rest? I think we know what positions need an upgrade. The Broncos have not sat idle, they have made some transactions which have brought in return multiple draft picks for the up coming draft which gives the organization the ability to key in on a player and move into position to grab him or just add. With the recent success of the Broncos drafts you have to finally feel good about who will be coming in next year. You never know, just two picks could be the glue it takes for the defense.

As for the rest of the year its plenty cloudy. The thing that benefits the Broncos is that the pre-season favorites by most writers to represent the AFC in the Super Bowl, the San Diego Chargers have stumbled out of the gate as well and are not playing up to their ability, Oakland well they are a mess, and Kansas City admits to it being a rebuilding year. At 4-3 the Broncos still lead the division all be it by one game and have beat the Chargers. The players have a week. Yell, fight, get it all out, but above all else they need to realize that it is still wide open. Win the division and who knows what happens next. They will be down men, down on themselves I am sure at points, but the Miami game will show what this team is made of. Character was the priority and this team was supposed to have loads of it, now is the time to show it.

MasterShake
10-24-2008, 12:20 AM
Cool post, but I don't remember ANY writers picking the Broncos to go to the Superbowl or even win the West. San Diego has been the team de jour for like 5 years now.

NightTrainLayne
10-24-2008, 10:50 AM
Cool post, but I don't remember ANY writers picking the Broncos to go to the Superbowl or even win the West. San Diego has been the team de jour for like 5 years now.

I think you mis-read that. It says that the Chargers were the consensus pre-season pick to represent the AFC in the Superbowl.

MasterShake
10-24-2008, 11:20 AM
I think you mis-read that. It says that the Chargers were the consensus pre-season pick to represent the AFC in the Superbowl.

Yup, I sure did. Damn Chargers suck.

slim
10-24-2008, 10:13 PM
I am glad we have a bye this week. I don't think I could stomach another game right now.

Bronco9798
10-26-2008, 08:43 AM
I am glad we have a bye this week. I don't think I could stomach another game right now.

Ive never been a fan of the bye week. I am this year. I needed a week off from being disgusted.

slim
10-27-2008, 09:03 PM
Ive never been a fan of the bye week. I am this year. I needed a week off from being disgusted.

LOL...good point. I used to hate the bye week with a passion. I guess when your team sucks, it's really not that bad. :D