PDA

View Full Version : NFL players ask for $707 million in damages in TV dispute

Denver Native (Carol)
05-12-2011, 01:19 PM
MINNEAPOLIS — The NFL's locked-out players asked a federal judge Thursday for at least $707 million in damages stemming from a dispute with the league over $4 billion in broadcast revenue.

U.S. District Judge David Doty took the request under advisement after a two-hour hearing that included arguments from attorneys for the league and the players. Such an award could amount to a huge piece of leverage in the players' fight with the NFL over the next collective bargaining agreement.

Jeffrey Kessler, the lead attorney for the players, urged Doty to rule quickly because of the ongoing lockout. The players have argued the league can make it through the lockout in part because it illegally secured the $4 billion "war chest" by renegotiating TV contracts for 2011 that allows the league to get paid even if there are no games to televise.

rest of article - http://www.denverpost.com/breakingnews/ci_18050097

Denver Native (Carol)
05-12-2011, 01:20 PM
MINNEAPOLIS -- The NFL's locked-out players asked a federal judge Thursday for at least $707 million in damages stemming from a dispute with the league over $4 billion in broadcast revenue.

NFL Players Association lawyers said that the $707 million figure is a baseline for damages, with more subjective factors, such as digital rights, pushing that number significantly higher, according to NFL Network's Albert Breer.

U.S. District Judge David Doty took the request under advisement after a two-hour hearing that included arguments from attorneys for the league and the players. Such an award could amount to a huge piece of leverage in the players' fight with the NFL over the next collective bargaining agreement.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81fcc9e1/article/judge-hears-arguments-from-nfl-players-in-tv-rights-case?module=HP_headlines

Davii
05-12-2011, 01:23 PM
I don't know what to make of this. I agree with the player's that IF the owners negotiated a lower price to still have a revenue stream then they broke the law with regards to the union. Tough to prove though.

Denver Native (Carol)
05-12-2011, 01:33 PM
This is the part I do not understand:

Jeffrey Kessler, the lead attorney for the players, urged Doty to rule quickly because of the ongoing lockout. The players have argued the league can make it through the lockout in part because it illegally secured the $4 billion "war chest" by renegotiating TV contracts for 2011 that allows the league to get paid even if there are no games to televise.

Are not all of the owners of the NFL business people - they made their money elsewhere than the NFL - so why would they need the $4 billion to be able to make it through the lockout??????

GEEZ - this thing gets more confusing the longer it goes.:mad:

underrated29
05-12-2011, 01:45 PM
Hopefully No....

While I still place 51% of the blame on the owners. This ruling would only extend the lockout. We need one side to crumble and fast. Right now that is the players, they have less leverage. But if they win, then they will get more and prolong this endouver.

Doty- Just say Neigh!

BigSarge87
05-12-2011, 01:49 PM
I am seriously worried the NFL will never recover from the events of this offseason. It makes me sick to think about spending my money on NFL related goods/services to know that most of it is going to support unbelievably extravagant lifestyles of people who don't appreciate it. Ugh.

NightTerror218
05-12-2011, 01:59 PM
The players always want more money, all I read about. The owners want to fix sliding revenues. Why do the players need million and millions? The owners are business men and worked/earned there money or were born into it. The players just want to be as rich as them, most dont even play for the love of the sport any more. This crap is turning me away for football and back in basketball or baseball. Hell i might even go to golf.

Nomad
05-12-2011, 02:08 PM
The players always want more money, all I read about. The owners want to fix sliding revenues. Why do the players need million and millions? The owners are business men and worked/earned there money or were born into it. The players just want to be as rich as them, most dont even play for the love of the sport any more. This crap is turning me away from NFL football and back in basketball or baseball. Hell i might even go to golf.

I guess without football on Sunday it'll make these Alaskan winters even longer.....I haven't experienced on yet!

underrated29
05-12-2011, 02:19 PM
The players always want more money, all I read about. The owners want to fix sliding revenues. Why do the players need million and millions? The owners are business men and worked/earned there money or were born into it. The players just want to be as rich as them, most dont even play for the love of the sport any more. This crap is turning me away for football and back in basketball or baseball. Hell i might even go to golf.

Try hockey. You'll love it!

NightTerror218
05-12-2011, 02:49 PM
I guess without football on Sunday it'll make these Alaskan winters even longer.....I haven't experienced on yet!

O come on, winter will never end without football to look forward too. Alaska is dark enough during the winter I dont need the Sunday bright spot to disappear too.

NightTerror218
05-12-2011, 02:51 PM
Try hockey. You'll love it!

Hockey and basketball are the only sports to be in Alaska it seems like. I do watch hockey games in person. But not as dedicated to it as my Broncos.

BroncoStud
05-12-2011, 03:05 PM

I lived in Alaska for 2 years. Visited Tok and a number of other really cool villages. The Pribilof Islands... Alaska is a great state man.

LTC Pain
05-12-2011, 03:26 PM
A poster at the DP indicated that the NFL players are "the product" in this whole mess. I respectfully disagree with that and submit that the product is fan entertainment. The owners hire/pay the players to provide this product. The owners owe players nothing more than what they are contracted for. And it's obvious from negotiations the players want more $$$$ from the owners. The higher the players drive up owner costs with BS litigation like this the more of it will get passed onto the fans to pay for. I'm ready to talk about replacement players!

NightTerror218
05-12-2011, 03:38 PM
A poster at the DP indicated that the NFL players are "the product" in this whole mess. I respectfully disagree with that and submit that the product is fan entertainment. The owners hire/pay the players to provide this product. The owners owe players nothing more than what they are contracted for. And it's obvious from negotiations the players want more $$$$ from the owners. The higher the players drive up owner costs with BS litigation like this the more of it will get passed onto the fans to pay for. I'm ready to talk about replacement players!

I would take a bunch of College FAs to play. Would still be fun to watch just like college. There are so many people who would run after the chance to play in the NFL, replacements would be easy to find and they will still be entertaining to watch.

NightTerror218
05-12-2011, 03:39 PM
I lived in Alaska for 2 years. Visited Tok and a number of other really cool villages. The Pribilof Islands... Alaska is a great state man.

I live in Alaska, going on 3 yrs now. Tok is way too cold during winter, but not as bad as some of the villages with -90 with wind chill. I have been fortunate to only be in -50 with wind chill when out in the small villages.

broncohead
05-12-2011, 03:41 PM
O come on, winter will never end without football to look forward too. Alaska is dark enough during the winter I dont need the Sunday bright spot to disappear too.

Ya its my home state (serving now) and football kept me busy. Its hard to feel bad for ppl who make millions but want more. Try getting a job like the rest of us and when u can't ull be running back.

NightTerror218
05-12-2011, 03:44 PM
Ya its my home state (serving now) and football kept me busy. Its hard to feel bad for ppl who make millions but want more. Try getting a job like the rest of us and when u can't ull be running back.

Geez all sorts of Alaskan Broncos fans coming out. IF.....there is football we will have to take over a sports bar during football season.

BigSarge87
05-12-2011, 05:04 PM
Geez all sorts of Alaskan Broncos fans coming out. IF.....there is football we will have to take over a sports bar during football season.

Your all coming out? JK, too easy. :elefant::eek::listen::elefant:

I went to Anchorage for a couple of weeks a few years ago. Was able to to on a Blackhawk 'tour' of the surrounding area. It was pretty sweet. I even bought an ulu knife!

Having it 11:30pm and the sun still up was pretty crazy though. Messed me up for a few days!

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
05-12-2011, 05:51 PM
I don't know what to make of this. I agree with the player's that IF the owners negotiated a lower price to still have a revenue stream then they broke the law with regards to the union. Tough to prove though.

I thought the court ruled the NFL couldn't have that money if they continued the lockout.

Additionally, the players are not the ones that negotiated the TV contract.

I just don't see how the players can justify asking for that money.

The negotiation tactics are starting to nauseate me.....:mad:

zbeg
05-12-2011, 07:10 PM
I am seriously worried the NFL will never recover from the events of this offseason. It makes me sick to think about spending my money on NFL related goods/services to know that most of it is going to support unbelievably extravagant lifestyles of people who don't appreciate it. Ugh.

If the NHL can recover from a completely lost season (which they have), the NFL absolutely can recover. Professional football is too big and too popular to not recover, even if it doesn't happen right away.

The 1982 and 1987 seasons had a bunch of BS, too - but they're blips in the history of the league, really.

Additionally, the players are not the ones that negotiated the TV contract.

I just don't see how the players can justify asking for that money.

The reason why the players can justify asking for that money is because the NFL and NFLPA agreed that all contract negotiations with the TV networks would be on behalf of both parties, since it's a partnership. The NFL also agreed that they would negotiate in good faith on behalf of the NFLPA so that both parties would get maximum benefit.

When the NFL instead entered into an agreement with the TV networks that was at a lower price but with a provision that would benefit only the owners (which is essentially to receive 100% of the TV money in the event of a lockout that would not be shared with the players since they were locked out), then they broke the agreement they made with the NFLPA, and did not in fact negotiate in good faith.

The NFL broke its promise to the players, and that's why the players are seeking penalties for doing so.

Poet
05-12-2011, 08:25 PM
This is the equivalent of when the owners were set to make 4 billion dollars even if there wasn't a game of football played this year.

It's your cyclical greed, nothing more or less.

hamrob
05-12-2011, 09:01 PM
I don't know what to make of this. I agree with the player's that IF the owners negotiated a lower price to still have a revenue stream then they broke the law with regards to the union. Tough to prove though.Right now...there is no "Union". So, how could they break any law concerning the CBA?

Denver Native (Carol)
05-12-2011, 09:05 PM
Here is some more information on this:

After the hearing, NFL Players Association lawyer Tom Heiden spelled out what the players are seeking in damages: $707 million stemming from the television contract, plus additional undetermined compensation arising from digital and RedZone Channel rights, as well as the extra game given to NBC last fall.

The players are also asking for compensatory and punitive damages that would punish and deter future behavior. That could add a number tripling the original number on to the total for the NFL, raising it well into the billions.

NFLPA outside counsel Jeffrey Kessler argued that the $4.078 billion secured by the league -- approximately $457 million of which doesn't have to be repaid, and the rest of which serves as a no-interest loan -- acts as protection in the event of the lockout and merits "exemplary damages" to be awarded to the players.

NFL outside counsel Gregg Levy responded that the players hadn't sought monetary damages arising from the credit subsidy in earlier hearings, and that "shaped and influenced the NFL's legal strategy," adversely effecting the league's ability to argue its case.

The players cited $400 million in revenue from DirecTV, as well as $40 million from ESPN and $17 million from Verizon, as money that didn't needed to be repaid. They also went over the 2011 totals from each of the league's partners -- $610 million from CBS, $713 million from FOX, $775 million from NBC, $976 million from ESPN and $555 million from DirecTV. In regards to those funds, Kessler said the league "ignored their obligations and conceded their breaches."

"A message needs to be sent," said Kessler. "You must comply with the law of this land."

Levy argued that the league's behavior was "not egregious, outrageous or unconscionable." He said "the question isn't what the NFL could have sought, it's what the networks were willing to pay."

Levy's contention was that DirecTV benefits from its relationship with the NFL, even in the absence of games being played, that the value of digital rights was being blown out of proportion, and that there was no way to prove how much the networks would've paid to get out of lockout provisions written into their contracts.

full article - http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81fcc9e1/article/judge-hears-arguments-from-nfl-players-in-tv-rights-case?module=HP_headlines

zbeg
05-13-2011, 03:13 AM
Right now...there is no "Union". So, how could they break any law concerning the CBA?

Federal antitrust law is still around - and the union was in place (as well as the CBA) when any alleged wrongdoing occurred.

Northman
05-13-2011, 03:47 AM

Excellent point. For the first time in ages ive actually been watching the NBA again and immensely enjoyed the NFL playoffs right now because im tired of the NFL BS.

zbeg
05-13-2011, 04:55 AM
Excellent point. For the first time in ages ive actually been watching the NBA again and immensely enjoyed the NFL playoffs right now because im tired of the NFL BS.

Hoo boy, you're not going to be happy this fall.