PDA

View Full Version : $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

horsepig
05-12-2011, 09:55 AM
Labor probs or not, we best be looking for some FA help.

Just for one minute, imagine yourself at the helm of the ship.

$30, maybe $40,000,000 for a DL guy? Look at that number-$40,000,000! I saw a program the other day where a really dumbass son-in-law stole his Mom-in-law's check book. He forged her sig and tried to cash a check at the bank for 686 billion$. Even my Mom-in-law don,t have that scratch.

I just cannot concieve giving some "young" jock $40,000,000!

Shouldn't I get some kind of guarantee?

chazoe60
05-12-2011, 10:03 AM

$30, maybe $40,000,000 for a DL guy? Look at that number-$40,000,000! I saw a program the other day where a really dumbass son-in-law stole his Mom-in-law's check book. He forged her sig and tried to cash a check at the bank for 686 billion$. Even my Mom-in-law don,t have that scratch.

I saw that story too, cracked me the eff up. I think he even spelled it wrong and wrote out Billions, with the "S" on the end like it needed to be plural. Afterall, he dint want just 1 billion he wanted 686 of them billions.

chazoe60
05-12-2011, 10:04 AM
Oh and IIRC, his plan was to start his own record label. :laugh:

BroncoNut
05-12-2011, 10:05 AM

horsepig. Good to see you post again. I've missed you.

yeah, 40 mil is a bit much for a young jock

Denver Native (Carol)
05-12-2011, 10:06 AM

What exactly are you trying to say - that no DL is worth what you noted here? Where did you get the figure that is what the Broncos would need to offer a DL? Your post is a little confusing - especially where you threw in the part of a person stealing his mom-in-law's check book - what does that have to do in regards to the Broncos signing a FA DL :confused:

BroncoNut
05-12-2011, 10:07 AM
What exactly are you trying to say - that no DL is worth what you noted here? Where did you get the figure that is what the Broncos would need to offer a DL> Your post is a little confusing - especially where you threw in the part of a person stealing his mom-in-law's check book - what does that have to do in regards to the Broncos signing a FA DL :confused:

this post is a little inflammatory. almost an attack on Horsepig.

Ravage!!!
05-12-2011, 10:13 AM
I agree with Carol, what the heck is the OP saying here? I just see a bunch of numbers and nothing tying them together. Talking about rookies? FA? what abotu 40 million?

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
05-12-2011, 10:16 AM
I saw that story too, cracked me the eff up. I think he even spelled it wrong and wrote out Billions, with the "S" on the end like it needed to be plural. Afterall, he dint want just 1 billion he wanted 686 of them billions.

That made me chuckle. :lol:

"gimme some a dem billions!"

horsepig
05-12-2011, 10:27 AM
Damn it Carol, all I'm saying is-can YOU yourself, imagine offering some 28 year old physical freak, most likely totally spoiled by the way, $40,000,000? The reason I typed it out. It's not just some 40 mil deal, it's actually $40,000,000.

horsepig
05-12-2011, 10:28 AM
Just a comment on the nuttyness of it all, nothing to do with what the team actually has ro do to get these people.

horsepig
05-12-2011, 10:37 AM
By-the-by, I run a few trucks that apply cattle manure on fields, $1,000,000 would make me think I'd died and gone to pergatory (I know I won't get in upstairs).

Shananahan
05-12-2011, 10:40 AM
I think I could imagine it just fine if I was a billionaire who owned a football team and the cost of labor was usually relative to talent/quality. Basically your point is that big numbers are big.

BroncoNut
05-12-2011, 11:05 AM
By-the-by, I run a few trucks that apply cattle manure on fields, $1,000,000 would make me think I'd died and gone to pergatory (I know I won't get in upstairs).

souls in purgatory are destined for heaven. I love you and will continue to pray for you

Ravage!!!
05-12-2011, 12:06 PM
Damn it Carol, all I'm saying is-can YOU yourself, imagine offering some 28 year old physical freak, most likely totally spoiled by the way, $40,000,000? The reason I typed it out. It's not just some 40 mil deal, it's actually $40,000,000.

Can I imagine it? Sure. We see it all the time in sports. Not hard to imagine at all.

nevcraw
05-12-2011, 01:24 PM
so is this a commentary about how we over pay our athletes or DL's shouldn't get 40mil? or athletes who are spoiled should not get paid? or what??

Buff
05-12-2011, 01:43 PM
so is this a commentary about how we over pay our athletes or DL's shouldn't get 40mil? or athletes who are spoiled should not get paid? or what??

Horsepig just wanted to let everyone know he's a communist. Nothing to see here.

Timmy!
05-12-2011, 01:56 PM
http://corruptcitizen.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/cool-story-bro.jpg

rcsodak
05-13-2011, 06:02 AM
So adding the 0's makes it worse? :confused:

rcsodak
05-13-2011, 06:03 AM

So you spread bullshit?

Good to know. :lol:

KCL
05-13-2011, 08:30 AM

It's a lesson that if you have daughters...try to make sure if they get married..they marry a smart, honest man who isn't lazy.

Ravage!!!
05-13-2011, 10:54 AM
It's a lesson that if you have daughters...try to make sure if they get married..they marry a smart, honest man who isn't lazy.

Hell no. Its being sure they marry the young 28 year old athletic freak.

horsepig
05-13-2011, 11:14 AM
So you spread bullshit?

Good to know. :lol:

I walked right into that one (no jokes about stepping in it, please).

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
05-13-2011, 02:14 PM

Hell no. Its being sure they marry the young 28 year old athletic freak.

My 13 year old is growing up to be both!

:happy:

HORSEPOWER 56
05-13-2011, 03:28 PM

Just to throw some numbers out there...

Jarvis Green: 4 yr. $20 million…..CUT
Justin Bannan: 5 yr. $22 million….CUT
Jamal Williams: 3yr. $16 million….CUT

$58,000,000 and not one still on the roster or able to keep us from being #31 in the league vs the run.

If I were Pat Bowlen, I'd file suit vs the three of them and Wink to get my damned money back for fraud (we were under the impression they were real D-Linemen), or breach of contract, or something...

Oh we get to try again this year from square one, too. :rolleyes:

sneakers
05-15-2011, 02:13 AM
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Broncospsycho77
05-15-2011, 06:59 AM
For what it's worth, one of the best things about labor markets in sports leagues like the NFL, NBA, EPL, and others is that, when you look at it all, unlike a lot of other aspects of the world... It runs efficiently.

For 90% of the players in this league, the amount of money they make is a surprisingly good indicator of how good they are at their position.

That doesn't happen in a lot of markets.

Sure, there'll be a Jarvis Green out there, who is overpaid by millions upon millions based on pure hype and overreacting to the market (costs greater than benefits for the organization)... But then in addition, the NBA might have a Rod Smith who consistently overperforms his salary over the duration of his career (benefits greater than costs for the franchise). But the coolest part? The players that suck will see a fair reduction as they price adjusts to their worth, and the players that are great see an increase over time (Reggie Bush and Brandon Lloyd come to mind here, respectively).

So is it worth arguing the merits of a market in absolute terms that fosters billions of dollars around based on the players that are the recipients of said funds? Well, no. But the league's own source of income should be the thing that's bellyached, as their sources of revenue (advertisers, media rights, merchandise, ticket sales, owners' personal investments) allow the collective pot to rise. Don't say that the players are the ones that shouldn't be making as much as they do or not deserving it -- economically, they're earning about the correct percentage of the whole pie that is devoted to them... Instead, it would be better to plant the argument somewhere else. Like voting with your feet. Tired of how much they make? Then watch something else, don't buy any product with the insignia, and convince your friends of the travesty of a multibillion-dollar entertainment industry.

But blaming the players for being good at what they're doing in a surprisingly efficient market? That's just misplaced anger.