PDA

View Full Version : Worst Broncos Defense Ever

broncofaninfla
10-23-2008, 11:46 AM
A copy and paste from Rocky Mountain News, not for the squeamish:

The Broncos defense, after Monday night's 41-7 loss to New England, is on pace to allow 6,313 yards for the season, which would rank as the worst in franchise history - and seventh among the all-time worst for total yards allowed in NFL history according to the Elias Sports Bureau.

The Baltimore Colts gave up an NFL-high 6,793 yards in 1981. The 1983 Packers are second (6,403 yards), followed by the 2000 Seahawks (6,391), 1984 Vikings (6,352), 1995 Bengals (6,349) and 1986 Buccaneers (6,333). None of these teams finished above .500.

NameUsedBefore
10-23-2008, 01:02 PM
It kinda hurts to know our schedule is a cake-walk, too.

atwater27
10-23-2008, 01:47 PM
The suckiest part is that we have the offensive talent to be one of the most prolific offenses ever. Wake the heck up, stop these indefensible fumbles and let's go!

Den21vsBal19
10-23-2008, 02:28 PM
I read something the other day that the worst defense in history in terms of interceptions was Slowick's Packers with 8 for the year........

After 7 games, we're on course to shatter that record with a pitiful 2 :mad:

The good news.....................the Lions & Seahawks have a solitary pick each :laugh:

LRtagger
10-23-2008, 02:32 PM
I read something the other day that the worst defense in history in terms of interceptions was Slowick's Packers with 8 for the year........

No surprise there.

He will DC the worst defense in GB franchise history and the worst defense in Den franchise history.

Quite the resume he is building.

Dean
10-23-2008, 11:04 PM
A copy and paste from Rocky Mountain News, not for the squeamish:

The Broncos defense, after Monday night's 41-7 loss to New England, is on pace to allow 6,313 yards for the season, which would rank as the worst in franchise history - and seventh among the all-time worst for total yards allowed in NFL history according to the Elias Sports Bureau.

The Baltimore Colts gave up an NFL-high 6,793 yards in 1981. The 1983 Packers are second (6,403 yards), followed by the 2000 Seahawks (6,391), 1984 Vikings (6,352), 1995 Bengals (6,349) and 1986 Buccaneers (6,333). None of these teams finished above .500.

I can just hear Dandy Don Merrideth telling Coward Cossell that records are made to be broken.

The good news.....................the Lions & Seahawks have a solitary pick each :laugh:

So. . . you are saying that there is a chance.

Sometimes you have to either laugh or cry.

lex
10-23-2008, 11:20 PM

Correction: Our CBs are on pace to get 3. Champ had that controversial one in the second game. That means our CBs are on pace to get a controversial INT the second of every 7 games...which means our CBs would get their 3rd on the 16th and last game. Our DTs are on pace to get 2 INTs on the season.

horsepig
10-24-2008, 04:58 AM
This is the worst defense I've ever watched with any interest. I don't see any easy answers either. If we rebuild this D through the draft plus 1 acceptable FA/year it's gonna be a while boys.
P.S. Sorry Champ.

Den21vsBal19
10-24-2008, 05:10 AM
Correction: Our CBs are on pace to get 3. Champ had that controversial one in the second game. That means our CBs are on pace to get a controversial INT the second of every 7 games...which means our CBs would get their 3rd on the 16th and last game. Our DTs are on pace to get 2 INTs on the season.
Sorry, I meant that approaching the mid-point of the season we've got a pitiful 2 picks, extrapolate it out to somewhere around 4 to 5 for the season...............bit of a come down from Champ's 10 of a couple years back :mad:

Something I've just seen in the RMN (http://www.rockymountainnews.com/news/2008/oct/23/fantasy-football-week-8-stock-watch/) ~

Nearly halfway through the season, the Broncos and Chiefs are giving up 5.4 and 5.6 yards per rush, respectively. That’s an extraordinary statistic when you consider that the Rams are the only other team that gives up more than 5.0 yards per rush. In fact, 25 of the 32 teams are under 4.5.

To put these figures in perspective, LaDainian Tomlinson has never averaged more than 5.4 yards per carry in any season in his Hall of Fame career (including his record-setting 28-TD season in 2006). Emmitt Smith, the NFL’s all-time rushing leader, never averaged 5.4 yards per carry, either.

Hence, you could say that the Broncos and Chiefs make every running back who faces them look better than LaDainian Tomlinson and Emmitt Smith in their prime.

Also, lest you think that the Broncos and Chiefs are only bad against the rush, both are giving up 7.8 yards per pass, which basically means that every quarterback who faces them plays like one of the best quarterbacks in the NFL.

:sad:

JKcatch724
10-24-2008, 05:30 AM
seventh worst?! c'mon guys. we can do worse than that! it's a team effort!

broncofaninfla
10-24-2008, 07:39 AM
"Nearly halfway through the season, the Broncos and Chiefs are giving up 5.4 and 5.6 yards per rush, respectively. That’s an extraordinary statistic when you consider that the Rams are the only other team that gives up more than 5.0 yards per rush. In fact, 25 of the 32 teams are under 4.5.

To put these figures in perspective, LaDainian Tomlinson has never averaged more than 5.4 yards per carry in any season in his Hall of Fame career (including his record-setting 28-TD season in 2006). Emmitt Smith, the NFL’s all-time rushing leader, never averaged 5.4 yards per carry, either.

Hence, you could say that the Broncos and Chiefs make every running back who faces them look better than LaDainian Tomlinson and Emmitt Smith in their prime.

Also, least you think that the Broncos and Chiefs are only bad against the rush, both are giving up 7.8 yards per pass, which basically means that every quarterback who faces them plays like one of the best quarterbacks in the NFL. "

Wow, we really do suck. We are so deep in the depth's of "suck" that even if we were able to improve on defense we would STILL suck. We are so bad it would take a VAST improvement just to reach mediocrity. We would be better served to cut a majority of our defense now and sign some hungry FA’s straight off of the street and let them play.

HolyDiver
10-24-2008, 08:33 AM
Worst Defense I can remember since 1971............We actually have decent talent, just no heart. That's what the Defenses of the early 70's had....plenty of heart.

NameUsedBefore
10-24-2008, 08:43 AM
"Nearly halfway through the season, the Broncos and Chiefs are giving up 5.4 and 5.6 yards per rush, respectively. That’s an extraordinary statistic when you consider that the Rams are the only other team that gives up more than 5.0 yards per rush. In fact, 25 of the 32 teams are under 4.5.

Also, least you think that the Broncos and Chiefs are only bad against the rush, both are giving up 7.8 yards per pass, which basically means that every quarterback who faces them plays like one of the best quarterbacks in the NFL. "

Wow, we really do suck. We are so deep in the depth's of "suck" that even if we were able to improve on defense we would STILL suck. We are so bad it would take a VAST improvement just to reach mediocrity. We would be better served to cut a majority of our defense now and sign some hungry FA’s straight off of the street and let them play.

Every QB who has played against us has a 100+ rating except one.

*And that one had a 90+ rating.

It's awful.

Den21vsBal19
10-24-2008, 09:07 AM

It's awful.

Merely awful would be an improvement...............this is embarrassing :mad:

Den21vsBal19
10-24-2008, 09:17 AM
Worst Defense I can remember since 1971............We actually have decent talent, just no heart. That's what the Defenses of the early 70's had....plenty of heart.
I was watching a DVD of the 77 AFCCG vs the Faiders the other night, trying to cheer myself up, and that was the thing that really stood out about the defense, they were FLYING to the ball, and gang-tackling................

These guys, they seem to form an orderly queue to wave the ball carrier past :frusty:

Drill-N-Fill
10-24-2008, 09:50 AM

It's awful.

I heard somewhere we were on pace to beat that record also (opp QB ratings).

EastCoastBronco
10-24-2008, 10:38 AM

There's a simple mathematical algorithm to explain this phenomenon. It goes something like this...

No pressure = No Picks

TheRecession
10-26-2008, 02:49 AM
Yes my friends ( As the Maverick would say ) it is time to destroy and rebuild the defense. This includes trading Champ Bailey, Dre Bly and Elvis Dumervil. I say this because they all have good value and we are totally going to be a 3-4 team next year.

Elvis Dumervil does not fit the 3-4 scheme for the simple fact he will never be able to stand up, Champ Bailey is at the age where he is breaking down with these hamstring/groin injuries every season, Dre Bly? Who knows if he has any value but i will take anything for him.

Now the bright spot is we have guys in place in the front 7 already BUT we do need a ILB and a NT. Ahem Ahem TERRANCE CODY from Alabama.

G_Money
10-26-2008, 03:21 AM
You can't play the 3-4 without a NT, and if we can't GET Cody in the draft, what then? I have Cody and Moala as two of the top DL in the draft, and they simply may not be there. Raji could do it, though he's been more upfield since he slimmed a little and got suspended - if we can keep him motivated. He's motivated this season for sure, but he's also been a screw-up.

Also, it takes DL a couple of years normally to make an impact, and we have Safety and MLB (or ILB if we go to a 3-4) needs as well. If you trade both corners and our only legit pass-rusher, now we need to re-stock pretty much every position on defense. The LBs are pretty small to play in that much space while getting blocked by all the free OL and TEs on every play. The reason the LBs are 250-260 in a normal 3-4 is so they can play de-facto DE roles when they're not blitzing. Jamie Winborn ain't doin' that. DJ's our biggest LB and he's not doin' that.

I think a 3-4 could open a spot for Larsen inside, which would be interesting. DJ, Larsen, a draftpick like McKillop and Moss (or somebody) would be at least fun for a while. None of them would really be considered proto-typical players for a 3-4 except maybe Moss, though.

Still, we need A LOT of help on D. We're not getting Albert Haynesworth in FA, so we'll have to fix the interior of our line some other way.

And if we go Safety/LB in the first two rounds, then we're not curing our NT woes in the draft without a lot of luck.

*shrugs* Great 3-4 DL last a long time in this league because they aren't that common. It's a pretty selfless job, to let the LBs get all the glory while you get busted in the face by two guys every week. Not every 320 pound player is willing to do it.

And switching to the 3-4 without at least one of those guys is gonna make it hard to succeed.

I could see us going to a 3-4 with our next DC, but I wouldn't call it a sure thing - and it's definitely a risk with the personnel we currently have, or are likely to be able to obtain.

Personally I don't care if we run the 4-3 or the 3-4 or the 46, as long as we run it well and with heart.

This heartless, schemeless stuff of the last two years has to stop.

~G

TheRecession
10-26-2008, 03:30 AM
The 4-3 is just about dead in Denver obviously. Its time for a new direction and this is the way i see it.

Peterson/Crowder/Thomas are the DE's

Jarvis Moss, DJ, Woodyard, Larsen, "draft pick" as our LBs

They may take a little while to develope but hey its taking us 8-9 years to develope those unselfish 4-3 guys to have us ranked 31st in defense. The kid from Michigan could play NT in the 3-4 also.

As far as corner back, Well we needed to draft a couple of them anyway. That's unless we move Champ to FS maybe? That could fill one of our safety needs instantly. I mean if Champ cannot run with top flight WRs anymore without pulling a hammy or whatever then why not allow him to play FS and see everything coming? He is a great tackler and would have to buff up just a tad bit but it could work like the eagles did with Troy Vincent to extend his career.

Then we would only need a ILB and a NT and a corner. Dumervil has to go he has no place in the 4-3 and has good value. Could land us a high 2nd round pick.

JKcatch724
10-26-2008, 03:49 AM
The 4-3 is just about dead in Denver obviously. Its time for a new direction and this is the way i see it.

Peterson/Crowder/Thomas are the DE's

Jarvis Moss, DJ, Woodyard, Larsen, "draft pick" as our LBs

They may take a little while to develope but hey its taking us 8-9 years to develope those unselfish 4-3 guys to have us ranked 31st in defense. The kid from Michigan could play NT in the 3-4 also.

As far as corner back, Well we needed to draft a couple of them anyway. That's unless we move Champ to FS maybe? That could fill one of our safety needs instantly. I mean if Champ cannot run with top flight WRs anymore without pulling a hammy or whatever then why not allow him to play FS and see everything coming? He is a great tackler and would have to buff up just a tad bit but it could work like the eagles did with Troy Vincent to extend his career.

Then we would only need a ILB and a NT and a corner. Dumervil has to go he has no place in the 4-3 and has good value. Could land us a high 2nd round pick.

I agree with your general point, but at this point moving Champ to saftey is idiotic. That would be like moving Peyton Manning to tight end. Champ, like Manning, is a master at his position. To move him would be a complete slap in the face.

There is a legitimate argument for this "detroy and rebuild" theory, but you have to have SOME kind of nucleus. On this defense, that means Champ, Dumervil, and D.J. Hell, maybe even throw guys like Marcus Thomas and Nate Webster in that mix.

I do agree that Dre Bly has to go. He is just not what he was earlier in his career. In fact he's been subpar since he's come to Denver. I also agree young guys like JMFW, Woodyard, Larsen, and Barrett should see some real action. THIS SEASON. Couldn't be worse than what we have. Why not see what they can do.

TheRecession
10-26-2008, 03:55 AM
I agree with your general point, but at this point moving Champ to saftey is idiotic. That would be like moving Peyton Manning to tight end. Champ, like Manning, is a master at his position. To move him would be a complete slap in the face.

There is a legitimate argument for this "detroy and rebuild" theory, but you have to have SOME kind of nucleus. On this defense, that means Champ, Dumervil, and D.J. Hell, maybe even throw guys like Marcus Thomas and Nate Webster in that mix.

I do agree that Dre Bly has to go. He is just not what he was earlier in his career. In fact he's been subpar since he's come to Denver. I also agree young guys like JMFW, Woodyard, Larsen, and Barrett should see some real action. THIS SEASON. Couldn't be worse than what we have. Why not see what they can do.

I understand that he was or is the best at his position. However when you keep pulling hammy and groins just running deep with guys it means its time for a change. Champs a classy dude i think he would look at it as an oppurtunity to become a ball hawking safety. Imagine a guy with his skills and athletic ability and brains seeing the play develope from the middle of the field? Would a team even dare throwing over the top even vs cyoung corners like Jack Will or Paymah/ draft pick?

JKcatch724
10-26-2008, 04:28 AM
I understand that he was or is the best at his position. However when you keep pulling hammy and groins just running deep with guys it means its time for a change. Champs a classy dude i think he would look at it as an oppurtunity to become a ball hawking safety. Imagine a guy with his skills and athletic ability and brains seeing the play develope from the middle of the field? Would a team even dare throwing over the top even vs cyoung corners like Jack Will or Paymah/ draft pick?

I don't doubt at all that he would be a pro bowl caliber safety. Hell, if we lined him up at WR he'd probably do major damage. He's that kind of athlete. But injuries are part of the game, and it's not the fact that he can't run with any WR in the game, because he can. Champ is proud of his position, and he should be. He's arguably the best CB ever, and if he thought a move would help the team, I'm sure he'd speak up.

As far as people in favor of trading Champ, I understand where you're coming from, but I couldn't disagree more. Without Champ our defense has ZERO identity or leader. Yes, we could get a top notch talent or two for Champ right now, but it would just be trading a hundred dollar bill for five twenty dollar bills. Champ is someone we can build our defense around, if nothing else.

TheRecession
10-26-2008, 04:37 AM
True true. But i dont think you can build your defense from a 31 year old corner bro. Making this kinda move would give him another 3-4 years of being elite. Im not saying he cant run with WRs down the field anymore, Im saying everytime he has to turn on the burners and run deep he pulls something...Even last year.

I mean just think about it the key to protecting your corners is having a good front 7 correct? We have Linebackers galore. We could add an ILB and another pass rushing OLB maybe.

Who better than the blanket bailey back there to save the day? I just feel like we can get by with a good front 7 and having Champ as the blanket over the top, Who also hits like a safety... On the flipside if we could trade him and pick up a starting Safety and a starting defensive linemen or even another young corner with fresh legs and bump and run ability then i would.

But i prefer the first option moving him to safety. Trading Dumervil for a high 2nd round pick and drafting a CB with that pick....The kid out of Uconn would be perfect there.

JKcatch724
10-26-2008, 04:57 AM
True true. But i dont think you can build your defense from a 31 year old corner bro. Making this kinda move would give him another 3-4 years of being elite. Im not saying he cant run with WRs down the field anymore, Im saying everytime he has to turn on the burners and run deep he pulls something...Even last year.

I mean just think about it the key to protecting your corners is having a good front 7 correct? We have Linebackers galore. We could add an ILB and another pass rushing OLB maybe.

Who better than the blanket bailey back there to save the day? I just feel like we can get by with a good front 7 and having Champ as the blanket over the top, Who also hits like a safety... On the flipside if we could trade him and pick up a starting Safety and a starting defensive linemen or even another young corner with fresh legs and bump and run ability then i would.

But i prefer the first option moving him to safety. Trading Dumervil for a high 2nd round pick and drafting a CB with that pick....The kid out of Uconn would be perfect there.

I get where you're coming from. I really do. But Champ is the best CB in the game right now, 31 or not. And you don't trade the best. 31 for Champ is not 31 for your average NFL player. If ever he doesn't look like the best, it's because our front seven is horrible. Drafting more unproven CBs would just be a complete waste if we got rid of him.

As far as Dumervil, we probably would get a high second for him, and that wouldn't be worth it. Take a look at our recent second round picks. I'll take Elvis any day.

And we do NOT have linebackers galore. DJ is the only one we have worth a damn. Webster plays with heart, which I'm all for, but at the end of the day he's not good. And as far as injuries go, the other Bailey brother has a problem with that.

TheRecession
10-26-2008, 05:22 AM
I think we have some pretty good LBs, With DJ, Woodyard, and Moss, So thats basically what i mean when i say i think we have LBs......I also like Louis before he got hurt, Winborn is a thumper at LB also...The only special LB we have is DJ though. And Jarvis Moss could be special with more reps @ OLB. My friend thinks he could be a 12-14 sack guy as a OLB pass rusher.....That was coming from a guy who hated him as a DE from day one.

Spencer Larsen i think would be perfect in the 3-4 since he is so physical and a huge thumper... I dont know i guess my opinions is based on what it hink of the players personally. So i guess we will have to agree to disagree on the LB galore thing.

PatricktheDookie
10-26-2008, 05:29 AM
No offense, but I think you're insane.

JKcatch724
10-26-2008, 05:33 AM
I LOVE Woodyard and Larsen. Mostly Larsen. Screw anybody who writes him off because he's too slow. He knows the game and acts accordingly. And Woodyard is a mid round talent at the least. How he didn't get drafted is beyond me. Undersized, who cares. Both these guys just play the game.

I don't know how you can include Moss in the LBs galore. He hasn't lined up one snap at LB. Not sayin he wouldn't have a chance in a 3-4 system as an OLB, but yu can't just assume that.

Boss Bailey is not that good. Winborn (or Green, whichever one the coaches have a bigger hard-on for) will come in and play better than Boss. I'm confident about that.

TheRecession
10-26-2008, 05:37 AM
Moss played vs the patriots a couple plays as a OLB. And got pressure one time. I just think his body has OLB written all over it now. For the simple fact he could use his speed alot more. When your hands in the ground it eliminates you as a pass rusher if u only have one move as he does.

But hey im out of here im about to get banned again......See ya whenever they let me back.....If they ever let me back.

Nice choppin it up with you about this topic.

WARHORSE
10-26-2008, 07:50 AM
Moss was in on a half a sack with Dumerville at OLB. Dont really know how he will pan out either way, but I dont see him as a bust.....yet.......like most here.

Champ is coming towards the end of his contract. If he agrees to move to safety when the Broncos deem it best, resign him. But if he wants to break the bank with his next contract, he may end up on another roster via trade. Champ is lockeroom class, and someone you want on your team. I think he can play free safety, np. He wont be Ronnie Lott, but nothing gets behind him, he wont miss tackles and I think his INT total would be off the charts.

Number one, we need to stop the run. Thats the first priority.

Bronco9798
10-26-2008, 08:06 AM
Champ may leave on his own once his contract is up, or he might even ask to be traded. I'm sure he is getting a bit frustrated with playing on this defense. I wouldn't be too sure if he just leaves on his own. You can see the frustration during interviews this year, more than ever. I think he's about ready to play elsewhere. He's tried long enough here and the talent level year in and out just hasn't been there. Not sure if there is any real indication if that is ever going to change.

lex
10-26-2008, 09:20 AM

On the mane I made a thread about the possibility of moving Champ to safety. One of the reasons was the wear and tear that you pointed out. But additionally, I think Champ playing safety would lend itself to him being more involved in plays. If Champ is playing deep halves, its harder to avoid him and he sees more of the field in front of him. This would provide greater opportunity for him to react to plays and possibly come up with INTs instead of simply being avoided, which is the case now.

Im not so sure we're switching to the 3-4 but either way, Im all for trading Bly. Ive never liked him.

lex
10-26-2008, 09:22 AM
Champ may leave on his own once his contract is up, or he might even ask to be traded. I'm sure he is getting a bit frustrated with playing on this defense. I wouldn't be too sure if he just leaves on his own. You can see the frustration during interviews this year, more than ever. I think he's about ready to play elsewhere. He's tried long enough here and the talent level year in and out just hasn't been there. Not sure if there is any real indication if that is ever going to change.

Thats awesome considering a major reason for the defense being as bad as it is, is Slowik who Champ lobbied for.

BroncoJoe
10-26-2008, 09:53 AM
I thought this was going to be a thread about Iran.

:heh:

Bronco9798
10-26-2008, 10:01 AM
I thought this was going to be a thread about Iran.

:heh:

Remember my Iran thread at the Freak? :D

BroncoJoe
10-26-2008, 10:02 AM
Remember my Iran thread at the Freak? :D

Not only remember it, but loved it. You should run for President.

topscribe
10-26-2008, 12:03 PM
All right, you guys. I had to Hi-5 you, Joe, but now :focus:

-----

topscribe
10-26-2008, 12:19 PM

Actually, your thoughts about the young guys were my first thoughts.

J. Williams, of course, will be forced into action, in the rotation if nothing
else. I think they probably will try to start Paymah because of Williams' size.
Nearly every team has a big receiver now, and Bly has proven he has
trouble especially against big receivers, and, although Williams is a terrific
jumper, he is still just a skosh over 5-9, if he forgets to comb his hair.

Larsen showed incredible field intelligence and awareness in college as a MLB.
He's a lot like Lynch in that way, and in his ability to make up for any lack
of speed (but he's faster than one might think) by often being there before
the ball is. And he can tackle.

Woodyard was a beast in preseason. Just a beast. He can tackle. Frankly,
I don't know why he has not shown up on the field at the position. Put him
in there.

And why is Barrett on the PS, with the clowns the Broncos have at safety?
Dude is very big, and he is very fast. Are they worried he might be lost out
there as a rookie? What would one call Lowry this last Monday? Lowry was
AAAWWWWFFFFUUUULLLL. When a guy like that can put the erstwhile
starter on the bench, what's to lose with putting anybody out there? Hell,
I might even be an improvement: I run about a 4.3 40 . . . that is, 4.3 yards
in 40 seconds.

-----

Ziggy
10-26-2008, 02:16 PM
Actually, your thoughts about the young guys were my first thoughts.

J. Williams, of course, will be forced into action, in the rotation if nothing
else. I think they probably will try to start Paymah because of Williams' size.
Nearly every team has a big receiver now, and Bly has proven he has
trouble especially against big receivers, and, although Williams is a terrific
jumper, he is still just a skosh over 5-9, if he forgets to comb his hair.

Larsen showed incredible field intelligence and awareness in college as a MLB.
He's a lot like Lynch in that way, and in his ability to make up for any lack
of speed (but he's faster than one might think) by often being there before
the ball is. And he can tackle.

Woodyard was a beast in preseason. Just a beast. He can tackle. Frankly,
I don't know why he has not shown up on the field at the position. Put him
in there.

And why is Barrett on the PS, with the clowns the Broncos have at safety?
Dude is very big, and he is very fast. Are they worried he might be lost out
there as a rookie? What would one call Lowry this last Monday? Lowry was
AAAWWWWFFFFUUUULLLL. When a guy like that can put the erstwhile
starter on the bench, what's to lose with putting anybody out there? Hell,
I might even be an improvement: I run about a 4.3 40 . . . that is, 4.3 yards
in 40 seconds.

-----

I'm guessing for the same reason that he was a 7th round pick. He lacks the instincts to make a difference. You can have all of the athletic ability in the world and not be a good football player. There is a reason that they picked up a scrub out of free agency at safety and started him before they took Barrett (who already knows the D) and played him. I hope they are wrong about Barrett, but I haven't seen anything to say that the Broncos and the rest of the NFL were wrong about him in the draft.

gobroncsnv
10-26-2008, 04:19 PM
This heartless, schemeless stuff of the last two years has to stop.

~G

You forgot talentless.

Italianmobstr7
10-26-2008, 04:25 PM
We're not trading Champ or Bly. I think it's ridiculous to even think about doing that. Those are 2 of our best 3 players on defense. Getting rid of Champ would be absolutely freaking stupid.

topscribe
10-26-2008, 04:31 PM
We're not trading Champ or Bly. I think it's ridiculous to even think about doing that. Those are 2 of our best 3 players on defense. Getting rid of Champ would be absolutely freaking stupid.

Well actually, think about it: Would you rather have Champ or Super Mario?
I love Champ to death. He's my favorite Bronco, now what Rod is gone. And
Champ is probably a better CB than Mario is a DE . . . in fact, you can probably
say that about any DE.

But what is going to get the Broncos to the Super Bowl? Let's face it: a
powerful front seven and mediocre backfield trumps a great backfield and a
mediocre front seven. At this time, we have neither: We have a mediocre
both.

If Champ's trade could bring us a 2007 New York Giant type pass rush,
then, yeah, I'd consider it. It would break my heart to see Champ go, but
I would consider it . . .

-----

spikerman
10-26-2008, 05:36 PM
Well actually, think about it: Would you rather have Champ or Super Mario?
I love Champ to death. He's my favorite Bronco, now what Rod is gone. And
Champ is probably a better CB than Mario is a DE . . . in fact, you can probably
say that about any DE.

But what is going to get the Broncos to the Super Bowl? Let's face it: a
powerful front seven and mediocre backfield trumps a great backfield and a
mediocre front seven. At this time, we have neither: We have a mediocre
both.

If Champ's trade could bring us a 2007 New York Giant type pass rush,
then, yeah, I'd consider it. It would break my heart to see Champ go, but
I would consider it . . .

-----Great point, and don't forget to add that although the Broncos have Champ, they still have the 32nd ranked pass defense in the NFL. There are too many other weaknesses on this team for a great CB to make that much of a difference.

SmilinAssasSin27
10-26-2008, 07:02 PM
My first instinct after reading the title was that I thought the destroy part already happened.

I don't know what type of we will/should run in 2009, but it has to have better players...pure and simple. We have the worst Safeties in the league, a backup LB manning the middle and a bunch of youngsters on the DL who have heard NO CONSISTENT VOICE for at least 3 years. Add to that the awful FA signing of Boss to play OLB. Our defensive talent consists of 2 players...and Elvis doesn't make the list. Wht should he? As fun as it is to watch him get after the QB, it's just as painful watching him get blown up on running plays. Champ and DJ.

Both should stay...the rest should be replaced...AGAIN!

broncosinindy
10-27-2008, 10:20 AM
I think we have some pretty good LBs, With DJ, Woodyard, and Moss, So thats basically what i mean when i say i think we have LBs......I also like Louis before he got hurt, Winborn is a thumper at LB also...The only special LB we have is DJ though. And Jarvis Moss could be special with more reps @ OLB. My friend thinks he could be a 12-14 sack guy as a OLB pass rusher.....That was coming from a guy who hated him as a DE from day one.

Spencer Larsen i think would be perfect in the 3-4 since he is so physical and a huge thumper... I dont know i guess my opinions is based on what it hink of the players personally. So i guess we will have to agree to disagree on the LB galore thing.Woodyard DOES NOT fit the 3-4 scheme no way no how. he is horrible at taking on blockers. but he is SWEET in space. 4-3 is his positin. YOu guys want to move a guy to a position he has never played before and has struggled at the position he was slotted to play with moss. thats just nuts and another 2-3 more years. DJ would have to play inside in the 3-4 i am not overly impressed with his pass rush skills.

MOtorboat
10-27-2008, 10:31 AM
Woodyard DOES NOT fit the 3-4 scheme no way no how. he is horrible at taking on blockers. but he is SWEET in space. 4-3 is his positin. YOu guys want to move a guy to a position he has never played before and has struggled at the position he was slotted to play with moss. thats just nuts and another 2-3 more years. DJ would have to play inside in the 3-4 i am not overly impressed with his pass rush skills.

I believe I am correct in this statement: Robertson is the only player currently on our roster (LB-DL) to be on a team that has played the 3-4 in either college or the pros...and he doesn't even like playing in it.