PDA

View Full Version : Dennis Allen on 102.3

WARHORSE
05-10-2011, 05:09 PM
Paraphrase.........."The rules in the NFL are geared towards the offense. We dont want to adjust to opposing offenses, we want to make them adjust to us. So we're building a fast, aggressive, nasty defense that is going to attack the offense, and get after the quarterback. We're going to make them make mistakes cause we're going to be playing very fast, and very aggressively."

I love it, and I like what I heard.

He didnt exclude the run defense either.

http://www.stationcaster.com/player_skinned.php?s=96&c=743&f=77048

Traveler
05-10-2011, 09:57 PM
Paraphrase.........."The rules in the NFL are geared towards the offense. We dont want to adjust to opposing offenses, we want to make them adjust to us. So we're building a fast, aggressive, nasty defense that is going to attack the offense, and get after the quarterback. We're going to make them make mistakes cause we're going to be playing very fast, and very aggressively."

I love it, and I like what I heard.

He didnt exclude the run defense either.

http://www.stationcaster.com/player_skinned.php?s=96&c=743&f=77048

I'll wait till I see it before I get too excited.

silkamilkamonico
05-10-2011, 10:23 PM
I can't hear what you're saying cuz I'm too busy listening to what you're doing....

TXBRONC
05-10-2011, 11:07 PM
Like the others I like what he had to say but I want see the end product before getting to excited.

WARHORSE
05-11-2011, 05:19 AM
Im gonna go ahead and get excited now.

If it pans out.....I'll be even more excited....and validated.

If it doesnt........well at least I had this moment. :coffee:

:D

Lonestar
05-11-2011, 09:22 AM
Not sure that even after getting all the new toys this draft they will make all that much difference.
This defense has been broken for years, about when Wilson was starting to hut hard hoping to knock RBs down instead of wrapping up BT then because of all the broken hand fingers etc hard to do that in a cast/club. He was a Great leader but a shell of his earlier years in tackling.

Lonestar
05-11-2011, 09:23 AM
Let me add we have to get viable DTs in order to DO much if anything.

Traveler
05-11-2011, 09:53 AM
Just remember, our fired coach said he would be bringing a more aggressive, attacking type defense when he first arrived. That lasted all of six games.

While I am excited to see what a defensive minded staff will bring to the table, I will reserve judgement until after the season. We are in the midst of a total rebuild on defense, no matter what EFX says publically.

With the lockout hampering the teams initial preparation this offseason, the product we'll see early on won't be too pretty. But, as long as they get better towards the end of the year, put me squarely in the "team is heading in the right direction" camp.

I will say that I am excited that John Fox will challenge the players toughness in ways similar to what he did when he first came to the Panthers.

When he addressed the team at his first mini-camp a few months later, he talked to them like the son of a Navy SEAL.

"He challenged us," offensive tackle Todd Steussie said. "He thought we had good players and the potential to be a good team, but after watching some film he didn't necessarily think we had the toughness to be a good team.

"Obviously that's a challenge. You’re always fighting for your job in this business, so you don’t want anybody questioning whether you’re tough. That was the starting point of the growing process."

http://extras.berkshireeagle.com/NeTrp/superbowl/2004superbowl/default.asp?id=article12

Hopefully he does the same here. We can all agree this team has been lacking in both mental and physical toughness for quite some time. It'll be fun watching the transformation.

Shananahan
05-11-2011, 10:34 AM
Yeah. I mean, why not?

Expectations tempered and all that, but it's hard for me not to. The last time we had a defensive mindset as a team was what... '94? Combine a solid, stout and steady defensive guy like Fox with the protege of a guy known for creative aggression and who knows what could happen. Throw in a bunch of young, promising talent on the the defense and it should be, at the very least, fun to watch.

BigDaddyBronco
05-11-2011, 10:45 AM
Just remember, our fired coach said he would be bringing a more aggressive, attacking type defense when he first arrived. That lasted all of six games.

While I am excited to see what a defensive minded staff will bring to the table, I will reserve judgement until after the season. We are in the midst of a total rebuild on defense, no matter what EFX says publically.

With the lockout hampering the teams initial preparation this offseason, the product we'll see early on won't be too pretty. But, as long as they get better towards the end of the year, put me squarely in the "team is heading in the right direction" camp.

I will say that I am excited that John Fox will challenge the players toughness in ways similar to what he did when he first came to the Panthers.

Hopefully he does the same here. We can all agree this team has been lacking in both mental and physical toughness for quite some time. It'll be fun watching the transformation.
Heck, I want to see what he does after they get some tape and start adjusting to the defense. That has been the issue with the last 8 defensive coordinators we have had. "Shyt guys, they've figured us out, let's just try and slow them down..." Watching the Steelers or Packers moving guys around around and attacking from all kinds of different places sure seems to work.

HammeredOut
05-11-2011, 10:45 AM
Yeah. I mean, why not?

Expectations tempered and all that, but it's hard for me not to. The last time we had a defensive mindset as a team was what... '94? Combine a solid, stout and steady defensive guy like Fox with the protege of a guy known for creative aggression and who knows what could happen. Throw in a bunch of young, promising talent on the the defense and it should be, at the very least, fun to watch.

roughly 8 out of 10 seasons Elway went to the playoffs, he had a top 10 defense in the league, and good portion of those were in the top 5. So I guess you can say that they were defensive minded the entire time.

SOCALORADO.
05-11-2011, 11:50 AM
http://www.healblog.net/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/yawn-300x200.jpg

Lonestar
05-11-2011, 12:18 PM
While I am excited to see what a defensive minded staff will bring to the table, I will reserve judgement until after the season. We are in the midst of a total rebuild on defense, no matter what EFX says publicly With the lockout hampering the teams initial preparation this offseason, the product we'll see early on won't be too pretty.

We can all agree this team has been lacking in both mental and physical toughness for quite some time. It'll be fun watching the transformation.

Typically defenses come together faster than do offenses.

Your last sentence could not be truer, if restated 40 times.
Lots of aging vets wanted to come here for more than a decade sonthey could tale part in Club Dove Valley.
Josh tried to change that mentality, with many of the vets unhappy about it.
Now perhaps they will get the drift that its here to stay.

Ravage!!!
05-11-2011, 12:39 PM
The league is about passing and getting TO the passer. The rules have been made to benefit the passer and the pass catchers. Getting after the passer is a HUGE priority in the NFL.

Josh didn't know what the hell he was doing, thats what upset the vets.

rcsodak
05-11-2011, 01:11 PM
So saying its a passing league, and seeing mcd make the team just that, and you say he still didn't know what he was doing?
And he had the league leader at gettting TO the passer until he got hurt. AFTER the draft! That was his fault?
I bet a dollar to donuts, if he was still HC, the Dline was the #2 pick. Followed by more D. He was an OC. He started with what he knew, first. Just as fox did.
Mcd signed a 4 yr deal, and most likely was drafting for the other side of the ball next.
My opinion, since nobody that knows him has intimated anything other than his having a very good football mind.

I sure hope y'all give TT more time to progress than you have mcd/orton.....at least for his sake.

Juriga72
05-11-2011, 01:21 PM
So saying its a passing league, and seeing mcd make the team just that, and you say he still didn't know what he was doing?
And he had the league leader at gettting TO the passer until he got hurt. AFTER the draft! That was his fault?
I bet a dollar to donuts, if he was still HC, the Dline was the #2 pick. Followed by more D. He was an OC. He started with what he knew, first. Just as fox did.
Mcd signed a 4 yr deal, and most likely was drafting for the other side of the ball next.
My opinion, since nobody that knows him has intimated anything other than his having a very good football mind.

I sure hope y'all give TT more time to progress than you have mcd/orton.....at least for his sake.

Uh yeah...
Third down passing was key here. I guess you missed the whole season with Kyle missing wide open recievers, or throwing 5 yard outs on 3rd an 7

but nice try anyways

slim
05-11-2011, 01:31 PM
Oh good, another McD debate...

TXBRONC
05-11-2011, 02:03 PM
Oh good, another McD debate...

Yep.

slim
05-11-2011, 02:05 PM
Yep.

I guess there's nothing else to talk about.

Freaking lockout :yardog:

TXBRONC
05-11-2011, 02:09 PM
I guess there's nothing else to talk about.

Freaking lockout :yardog:

I guess not. It's not like this thread was suppose to be about our NEW defensive coordinator.

Ravage!!!
05-11-2011, 02:10 PM
The team was already a passing team. The league is a passing league and didn't change because of McDaniels... and McD may have had a good football mind, but absolutely did NOT know what he was doing as an HC. He proved that, just as many have proved they are good coordinators and are not good HCs. McD was a HORRENDOUS HC. Giving him "more time" only would have given him more time to sink us deeper into the silt at the bottom of the ocean.

He already gave us the WORSE record in Denver history and #2 overall pick. I guess the ONLY thing that could have been good about keeping McD around is that he would have gotten the #1 overall pick next year.

These "most likely" and "betting donuts" crap is pure speculation. I would speculate ( given his short but historically horrendous stint in Denver) is that he would have pissed someone else off, traded them away and then would have blown another draft by taking another player we JUST got rid of. Then telling us the reason he drafted him was because he 'reminded' him of the very player he traded away.

But I'm with Warhorse on this one. At least we know it coming from a defensive mind that had success getting to the QB in the past with other teams.

WARHORSE
05-11-2011, 02:16 PM
Yeah. I mean, why not?

Damned straight.:beer:

Why not?

Who are WE to be tempered by the outlook of others????

Sure, we've been beaten down by free falling high expectations before, but did that stop the NAVY SEALS who went in and got osama off his computer??

Did that stop Tim Tebow when they told him he wouldnt be a college QB???

Did that stop Donald Trump from digging for Obamas birth certificate????

NO!!!!!

I AM excited, and I will BE excited, until my own expectations come crashing down on my own head........which aint happenin.:D

I will say this: We have a defensive minded coach. First one here since.....gulp.....Wade Phillips was listening to Willy and the Poor Boys.

The FOCUS.....is on the defense.

Bout time.

And I got my popcorn.:coffee:

Shananahan
05-11-2011, 02:40 PM
roughly 8 out of 10 seasons Elway went to the playoffs, he had a top 10 defense in the league, and good portion of those were in the top 5. So I guess you can say that they were defensive minded the entire time.
Did you read my post at all?

TXBRONC
05-11-2011, 03:05 PM

That looks like coffee not popcorn. :D

WARHORSE
05-11-2011, 03:31 PM
That looks like coffee not popcorn. :D

Its popcorn flavored coffee with bits of real popcorn buddy.;)

TXBRONC
05-11-2011, 04:07 PM
Its popcorn flavored coffee with bits of real popcorn buddy.;)

Don't choke. :lol:

Lonestar
05-11-2011, 07:43 PM

I suspect the folks wanting someone other than Fox will be whining if we are not in the playoffs at eoy.

Some are never happy.

BeefStew25
05-11-2011, 07:55 PM
I suspect the folks wanting someone other than Fox will be whining if we are not in the playoffs at eoy.

Some are never happy.

You are so full of eoy.

spikerman
05-11-2011, 08:29 PM
Damned straight.:beer:

Why not?

Who are WE to be tempered by the outlook of others????

Sure, we've been beaten down by free falling high expectations before, but did that stop the NAVY SEALS who went in and got osama off his computer??

Did that stop Tim Tebow when they told him he wouldnt be a college QB???

Did that stop Donald Trump from digging for Obamas birth certificate????

NO!!!!!

I AM excited, and I will BE excited, until my own expectations come crashing down on my own head........which aint happenin.:D

I will say this: We have a defensive minded coach. First one here since.....gulp.....Wade Phillips was listening to Willy and the Poor Boys.

The FOCUS.....is on the defense.

Bout time.

For some reason as I read this, I picture John Blutarsky giving the speech. :D

TXBRONC
05-12-2011, 07:10 AM
The team was already a passing team. The league is a passing league and didn't change because of McDaniels... and McD may have had a good football mind, but absolutely did NOT know what he was doing as an HC. He proved that, just as many have proved they are good coordinators and are not good HCs. McD was a HORRENDOUS HC. Giving him "more time" only would have given him more time to sink us deeper into the silt at the bottom of the ocean.

He already gave us the WORSE record in Denver history and #2 overall pick. I guess the ONLY thing that could have been good about keeping McD around is that he would have gotten the #1 overall pick next year.

These "most likely" and "betting donuts" crap is pure speculation. I would speculate ( given his short but historically horrendous stint in Denver) is that he would have pissed someone else off, traded them away and then would have blown another draft by taking another player we JUST got rid of. Then telling us the reason he drafted him was because he 'reminded' him of the very player he traded away.

But I'm with Warhorse on this one. At least we know it coming from a defensive mind that had success getting to the QB in the past with other teams.

McDaniels managament style was much the same as digging a hole to bury dirt.

horsepig
05-12-2011, 09:10 AM

If it pans out.....I'll be even more excited....and validated.

If it doesnt........well at least I had this moment. :coffee:

That is the most successful strategy on defense Horse. The only problem is you have to have the "horses" to pull it off.

The Ravens, for instance, dictate what the offense can do during a game. The Jets and Raiders try also. The Steelers and Bucs too.

Man, I'd like to root for a defense like that, I just don't see it beginning with a Sam LB.

WARHORSE
05-12-2011, 04:32 PM
For some reason as I read this, I picture John Blutarsky giving the speech. :D

Im bowing right now....just to make it more real for ya.:D

WARHORSE
05-12-2011, 04:39 PM
That is the most successful strategy on defense Horse. The only problem is you have to have the "horses" to pull it off.

The Ravens, for instance, dictate what the offense can do during a game. The Jets and Raiders try also. The Steelers and Bucs too.

Man, I'd like to root for a defense like that, I just don't see it beginning with a Sam LB.

Well who asked you to post?

I can see Von Miller hitting Phillis Rivers. Hard.

I can see Doom strip sacking Cassell.

I can see them both in the huddle saying, meet you at Jason Campbell.

I noticed something about the tape I saw on all the defensive picks......they all got film dropping the QB with ease. They all got production. They all play in the backfield. They all got good hands.

I gotta love that.

You know who Im really stoked about? Mike Mohammed.

For some reason, as I watch him play, I just think hes going to be a player for us.

Bring it on defense.

DEFENSE!! DEFENSE!!! DEFENSE!!!:salute:

hamrob
05-12-2011, 09:24 PM
I like Allen...he definitly sounds like a good hire. I love the focus on defense...I just hope that Elway doesn't allow the 3 runs for 9yds offense!