PDA

View Full Version : Kyle Orton, Brian Dawkins among 15 Broncos at first team workout today

Denver Native (Carol)
05-10-2011, 02:53 PM
Stay or no stay, Brian Dawkins said go.

The Broncos' veteran safety, player rep and co-captain got his teammates together this morning at South Suburban Sports Dome for an hour-long conditioning workout with trainer Loren Landow of the Steadman-Hawkins Clinic.

It's the first time in this unsettled NFL offseason that Broncos players have gathered as a group. Broncos coach John Fox and his staff are not allowed to supervise or view the players' workout during the NFL's labor lockout.

"This not about one way being the right way or another way is the wrong way," Dawkins said after the workout. "This is about providing a safe haven for those who want to come out and work."

Dawkins sent out a mass text/e-mail to his teammates this weekend inviting any player that was in the Denver area to start showing up for regular team workouts Tuesday and Thursday. Despite the short notice, 15 players attended the first session Tuesday. Quarterback Kyle Orton showed up early to throw passes to receiver Eric Decker. More are expected as word spreads for the session Thursday.

rest of article - http://www.denverpost.com/broncos2009/ci_18033633?source=rss

Shananahan
05-10-2011, 03:21 PM
I hate the age he showed on the field last year, and at his salary I'd normally say let the guy go, but Dawkins might just be worth every cent of that $6million to the team, especially the young safeties we just drafted.

Juriga72
05-10-2011, 03:32 PM
I would cry at one of these guys tearing a ACL, then the owners going..."Non-football injury....sorry fella".

thats my worst nightmare......

T.K.O.
05-10-2011, 03:34 PM
AWESOME ! just AWESOME !
i like the fact that we have guys who are willing to show they give a shit about how the broncos do next year,even through all the lockout crapola !!!
go B-dawk and co.
i wonder if the draftees would be able to attend....since its not an official NFL function,i dont see why they cant "hang out" with dawkins and the others:confused:

HORSEPOWER 56
05-10-2011, 03:39 PM
AWESOME ! just AWESOME !
i like the fact that we have guys who are willing to show they give a shit about how the broncos do next year,even through all the lockout crapola !!!
go B-dawk and co.
i wonder if the draftees would be able to attend....since its not an official NFL function,i dont see why they cant "hang out" with dawkins and the others:confused:

Sure the rookies can attend. They aren't even under contract, yet. Some of the NO rookies were participating in Brees' Saints camp so there's no reason the Broncos rookies can't.

The question is, who is paying for it? Remember, these rookies aren't getting paid, yet. Normally, the team takes care of shelling out for OTAs and off-season conditioning programs. They can't right now.

In New Orleans case, Brees paid for it out of his own pocket. Unless the other players who have some money are paying for the rookies to fly out to Denver and for their meals, hotel rooms, etc, I doubt any will participate. They aren't rich... yet.

rationalfan
05-10-2011, 03:42 PM
no way in hell the rookies participate in these "camps." the risk of getting injured before signing a contract is, well, too risky.

the one thing this "camp" makes me think: in a season with a weird offseason, teams that can find a way gel have a step up on the competition - unless the competition just has better talent.

Juriga72
05-10-2011, 03:48 PM
Some lawyer was on ESPN here stating that IF a guy does get hurt in "NON-official team work outs" they can void his contract and cut him with NO penalty.

WTF....... really? way to "Win hearts and minds" of us fans

LordTrychon
05-10-2011, 03:55 PM
Some lawyer was on ESPN here stating that IF a guy does get hurt in "NON-official team work outs" they can void his contract and cut him with NO penalty.

WTF....... really? way to "Win hearts and minds" of us fans

That would depend from contract to contract, and hasn't actually been done yet.

Hypothetically, in some circumstances, yes a team would be able to do that.

But since no team has done that as of right now, I don't think I'll vilify them for it.

Juriga72
05-10-2011, 03:58 PM
Just sayin..... that the owners are talking thru their own lawyers ahead of any injury that "This indeed is within our legal right"

THAT makes them kinda bitchy.... coming out ahead of the game like that

Denver Native (Carol)
05-10-2011, 04:07 PM
I hate the age he showed on the field last year, and at his salary I'd normally say let the guy go, but Dawkins might just be worth every cent of that $6million to the team, especially the young safeties we just drafted.

And Dawk had injuries last year. I want to see a healthy Dawk this year, as I feel he still "has it".

T.K.O.
05-10-2011, 04:14 PM
i highly doubt any NFL team would ever get away with voiding a players contract when he was just trying to stay in "football shape" during an offseason.:salute:
that said, i do see where it would be wise for the unsigned draftees to wrap themselves in bubble wrap and sit very still....

zbeg
05-10-2011, 04:19 PM
i highly doubt any NFL team would ever get away with voiding a players contract when he was just trying to stay in "football shape" during an offseason.:salute:

I think a team absolutely would if it saved them a few million dollars and gave them an excuse to get out of a bad contract.

It's a business, and it's sometimes a cold, heartless one. And there's plenty of acrimony on both sides that neither side is exactly feeling sympathetic.

T.K.O.
05-10-2011, 04:25 PM
And Dawk had injuries last year. I want to see a healthy Dawk this year, as I feel he still "has it".

even if Dawk does'nt have "it" on the field his expertise and fire for the game is worth millions to the young players and we could do a lot worse for great depth at safety !!!!!!!!!!
:salute::beer:

rationalfan
05-10-2011, 05:28 PM
i admit my ignorance about rookies and today's "camp":

RT @OFranklin74: Workouts today whooped my butt. I was training w @EKD92 he's a freak I'm glad to be his teammate and apart of Bronco nation

TXBRONC
05-10-2011, 05:28 PM
Good. I hope more will join them.

TXBRONC
05-10-2011, 05:29 PM
I would cry at one of these guys tearing a ACL, then the owners going..."Non-football injury....sorry fella".

thats my worst nightmare......

Well doesn't sound like they are doing anything to strenuous.

Juriga72
05-10-2011, 05:42 PM
Well doesn't sound like they are doing anything to strenuous.

Lets go back to Tony Dorrsett....lol all he was doing was running in shorts.

Of course he was old as hell

Ravage!!!
05-10-2011, 05:47 PM

Yeah, but we can't expect (nor want) these guys to sit around on their asses either. Hell, what do tyou want them to do, stay in a protected room wrapped in bubble wrap? Thats the only way you can guarantee not getting injured by something as simple as jogging.

TXBRONC
05-10-2011, 06:14 PM

During the strike in '82 the Redskins kept practicing as a team during the strike. They credit that move for helping them win the Super Bowl that year. They didn't anything that was intense but the practicing helped them to build cohesiveness.

Juriga72
05-10-2011, 07:28 PM
During the strike in '82 the Redskins kept practicing as a team during the strike. They credit that move for helping them win the Super Bowl that year. They didn't anything that was intense but the practicing helped them to build cohesiveness.

Can you imagine Kyle out there....

"Ok..lets get a beer guys.... I am tired"

Dawk..."Kyle... you just tied your shoes"

Lonestar
05-10-2011, 08:14 PM
Just as they have not signed a contract for the most oar until or during training camp.
Therefore the otas are not covered either.

Same difference. I suspect the "union" lawyer is trying to scare players away from"team" drills.

There the players wil talk amongst themselves abiut what is going on. Many will get wise to the union this way and therefore it will be discouraged by them.

I suspect ther will be splinter groups that want to get back to work and uniOns do not like that.

TXBRONC
05-10-2011, 10:43 PM
Can you imagine Kyle out there....

"Ok..lets get a beer guys.... I am tired"

Dawk..."Kyle... you just tied your shoes"

I don't know if would be quite like this. I think it woud be more ok guys lets go get some Jack and Coke. :lol:

Ravage!!!
05-10-2011, 10:54 PM
I think it would be like

Kyle: "hey guys, wait up... I just have to tie my shoes. OH DAMNIT.. I sprained my ankle!!"

TXBRONC
05-10-2011, 10:58 PM
I think it would be like

Kyle: "hey guys, wait up... I just have to tie my shoes. OH DAMNIT.. I sprained my ankle!!"

That's just cold. :tsk: :lol:

Juriga72
05-11-2011, 06:45 AM
Even Brain Griese's lab thinks thats funny....

LordTrychon
05-11-2011, 09:15 AM
Just sayin..... that the owners are talking thru their own lawyers ahead of any injury that "This indeed is within our legal right"

THAT makes them kinda bitchy.... coming out ahead of the game like that

Are you sure it was a lawyer for the owners, and not just a lawyer in general who was giving a legal outlook for the benefit of ESPN and their viewers?

Juriga72
05-11-2011, 09:28 AM
Are you sure it was a lawyer for the owners, and not just a lawyer in general who was giving a legal outlook for the benefit of ESPN and their viewers?

IMHO.... They said he was one of the owners lawyers.

vettesplus
05-11-2011, 10:54 AM
maybe the NFL needs to just be disolved...can you imagine how great the indoor arena league could be ...

The Glue Factory
05-11-2011, 11:08 AM
maybe the nfl needs to just be disolved...can you imagine how great the indoor area leauge could be ...

:fish:

broncofaninfla
05-11-2011, 05:22 PM
They only worked out for a hour, can't say I'm impressed with that. Glad there are some efforts to get better as a team though.....

Juriga72
05-11-2011, 05:41 PM
They only worked out for a hour, can't say I'm impressed with that. Glad there are some efforts to get better as a team though.....

Lazy union workers.....

Denver Native (Carol)
05-11-2011, 09:25 PM
Brian Dawkins on the Drive yesterday:

Brian Dawkins talks about the offseason workouts with a few of the Broncos as well as how the lockout has effected him and the team.

http://www.1043thefan.com/channels/thedrive/Story.aspx?ID=1415805

TXBRONC
05-11-2011, 09:47 PM
Brian Dawkins on the Drive yesterday:

Brian Dawkins talks about the offseason workouts with a few of the Broncos as well as how the lockout has effected him and the team.

http://www.1043thefan.com/channels/thedrive/Story.aspx?ID=1415805

I hope more Broncos will show up so they can work on team chemistry.

Denver Native (Carol)
05-11-2011, 09:49 PM
I hope more Broncos will show up so they can work on team chemistry.

We will see who is there tomorrow.

TXBRONC
05-11-2011, 09:57 PM
We will see who is there tomorrow.

The crew asked Dawkins if they practicing anything out of the play book of course he said no. Maybe they'll work on that later but I think they are hamstrung to certain extent since it completely new all of them. Since no one that I'm aware of has ever played for Fox so they don't have anyone with experience on either side of the ball who knows what everything means in both play books. That is one advantage that teams like New Orleans has over Denver.

Denver Native (Carol)
05-11-2011, 10:18 PM
The following explains more of what was done at the workout.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_18037456

TXBRONC
05-12-2011, 06:59 AM
The following explains more of what was done at the workout.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_18037456

I read the story and watched the video clip. I'm sure the kind of training they're doing will help in conditioning the players but to me the biggest benefit that can come from it is team cohesion.

rcsodak
05-13-2011, 06:08 AM
I read the story and watched the video clip. I'm sure the kind of training they're doing will help in conditioning the players but to me the biggest benefit that can come from it is team cohesion.
Bus trip to stripper joints will get That done.

TXBRONC
05-13-2011, 06:48 AM
Bus trip to stripper joints will get That done.

There would be unity until the wives found out. :

rcsodak
05-13-2011, 07:08 AM
Cohesion: everybody's alibi. ;)

HORSEPOWER 56
05-13-2011, 08:27 PM
I think a team absolutely would if it saved them a few million dollars and gave them an excuse to get out of a bad contract.

It's a business, and it's sometimes a cold, heartless one. And there's plenty of acrimony on both sides that neither side is exactly feeling sympathetic.

Heck yeah. I'm sure Washington is hoping Haynesworth is working his ass off right now. Nothing could be better for them than to be able to cut him and not have to pay him any more money.

TXBRONC
05-13-2011, 09:36 PM
Heck yeah. I'm sure Washington is hoping Haynesworth is working his ass off right now. Nothing could be better for them than to be able to cut him and not have to pay him any more money.

Yeah but there's a snowball's chance in hell of Haynesworth working his ass off.

HORSEPOWER 56
05-13-2011, 09:42 PM
Yeah but there's a snowball's chance in hell of Haynesworth working his ass off.

Too true.

bcbronc
05-14-2011, 04:22 AM
was Tebow there?

:boink:

Juriga72
05-14-2011, 07:07 AM

Well that arrest of his might just do the trick......lol

HORSEPOWER 56
05-14-2011, 08:00 AM
was Tebow there?

:boink:

Nope, but technically Kyle wasn't either. He showed up early, threw some passes to Decker and Gronkowski at the far end of the field, then left when the team workout run by Dawkins started. So in essence, it was a PR move for him where he played catch and didn't actually break a sweat or workout with the team.

The one guy I would say really NEEDS to workout, left. I dunno, maybe being in better shape might help his mobility and escapability and maybe build up his mental and physical toughness so he can actually play a whole season without getting hurt all the time. Maybe?

If there's one dude on the team that should be working his ass off on physical conditioning, it's Orton. It's quite sad that Jay Feeley, the Cardinals' kicker, showed that he was more of an athlete than Orton did last year.

TXBRONC
05-14-2011, 08:27 AM
Nope, but technically Kyle wasn't either. He showed up early, threw some passes to Decker and Gronkowski at the far end of the field, then left when the team workout run by Dawkins started. So in essence, it was a PR move for him where he played catch and didn't actually break a sweat or workout with the team.

The one guy I would say really NEEDS to workout, left. I dunno, maybe being in better shape might help his mobility and escapability and maybe build up his mental and physical toughness so he can actually play a whole season without getting hurt all the time. Maybe?

If there's one dude on the team that should be working his ass off on physical conditioning, it's Orton. It's quite sad that Jay Feeley, the Cardinals' kicker, showed that he was more of an athlete than Orton did last year.

Feeley is a freakin beast. :nod:

hamrob
05-14-2011, 09:45 AM
I read somewhere, that they plan to start working on the playbook beginning in late May early June. That may be when more of the team comes together to practice. For now, guys like Tebow are probably getting a better workout sticking to their own routine.

TXBRONC
05-14-2011, 11:14 AM
I read somewhere, that they plan to start working on the playbook beginning in late May early June. That may be when more of the team comes together to practice. For now, guys like Tebow are probably getting a better workout sticking to their own routine.

Dawkins was on the radio earlier this week talking about these little workout sessions that he's organized and it was mentioned that Tebow wasn't there. The host quipped jokingly something to the effect that Tebow a slacker. Dawkins knew it was joke but made a point to let them know that Tebow is the complete opposite. You can't get higher praise from someone as respected as Dawkins is.

topscribe
05-14-2011, 06:28 PM

Except for I saw a photo of Orton running sprints with the guys. You didn't
see that? So you are going to take his decision to leave early and make up
your own story about why he left, right?

Figures. :coffee:

-----

rcsodak
05-14-2011, 06:47 PM

I'm sure.....

Team unity is overrated.

threefolddead
05-14-2011, 08:03 PM
If a guy gets injured at these team practices the team has no obligation to pay him once the season starts because of the labor situation. Thats keeping a lot of guys away from these organized practices and I know I wouldn't be there. I'd rather do the routine I'm comfortable with then risk the uncertainty of these practices.

T.K.O.
05-15-2011, 11:53 AM
is'nt Orton one of the teams union reps ?
i think many of the players are trying to walk the fine line of being ready if/when the lockout is lifted and not coming across as "judas' to their fellow players:confused:

Lonestar
05-15-2011, 12:21 PM
Dawkins is the rep.

Northman
05-15-2011, 12:40 PM
Except for I saw a photo of Orton running sprints with the guys. You didn't
see that? So you are going to take his decision to leave early and make up
your own story about why he left, right?

Figures. :coffee:

-----

I tried looking for that pic, do you have a link?

Sinthor
05-15-2011, 01:59 PM
I didn't see that either, at least at the practice the article talked about. That article said he left before the main workout began. So he was there obviously just to get some throwing time in. Not a huge deal...I'm sure he's working out on his own as well.

topscribe
05-15-2011, 02:28 PM
I tried looking for that pic, do you have a link?

Well, rats . . . Now I can't find it. However, I do think I goofed, and I think the
DP did, too. I believe I saw it with this article (http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_18033633), but now they've changed the
picture. That they would makes sense, since that apparently was not snapped
during one of Dawkins' workouts.

So I've embarrassed myself, and I owe HP an apology (sorry, HP http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh256/AZDynamics/Smilies/thnervous.gif ) for the way
I responded to his remark -- although I still don't know why he is now so hostile
toward Orton. HP was pretty open-minded, and Orton has not since played a
down, so I kind of wonder whether Kyle kicked HP's dog or what.

Anyway, what really transpired was that Orton worked with his drops and passes
with Decker and Bronkowski at the other end of the field -- to get away from
the press, as I understand it -- and then left. Which is no big thing to me: a
QB does not need the skills or conditioning that the rest of the team needs.
And Rod Smith said he wasn't worried about it in an interview since, so no big
whoop to me, from what I know right now, anyway.

-----

TXBRONC
05-15-2011, 02:35 PM
Dawkins is the rep.

I'm guessing you mean union rep. Unless we have more than one Orton is the team rep. I read it the post just before the lockout went into effect.

topscribe
05-15-2011, 02:45 PM
Well, rats . . . Now I can't find it. However, I do think I goofed, and I think the
DP did, too. I believe I saw it with this article (http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_18033633), but now they've changed the

So I've embarrassed myself, and I owe HP an apology (sorry, HP http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh256/AZDynamics/Smilies/thnervous.gif ) for the way
I responded to his remark -- although I still don't know why he is now so hostile

-----

Here it is (the picture). It was in this article (http://www.broncoszone.net/).

And now I see I was wrong about the DP, too.

I'm batting a thousand . . . :tsk:

-----

Northman
05-15-2011, 02:58 PM
Here it is (the picture). It was in this article (http://www.broncoszone.net/).

And now I see I was wrong about the DP, too.

I'm batting a thousand . . . :tsk:

-----

No biggie for me, i was merely curious. I dont take much stock into how much time players put in right now. The whole arrangement is chaotic so i dont expect players to come out 100% right now anyway.

HORSEPOWER 56
05-15-2011, 03:05 PM

-----

You don't owe me anything, topper. In this day and age of "link or it didn't happen" people tend to get too carried away and nobody trusts anyone anymore. After your response, I figured I'd misread the article myself.

I am encouraged that at least some of the players are getting together to work out together as a team but at this point, it really doesn't mean much other than a little bit of camaraderie.

I guess the reason I threw it out there wasn't to try to pick on Kyle, but the Orton vs Tebow conversation has been beaten, dissected, brought back to life, and killed again more than Frankenstein's monster and it seems that everyone is trying everything from asking Von Miller if he wants to work out to showing up to a voluntary player workout put on by Dawkins as evidence why one is so much better or more of a leader than the other.

Really that's it. The FO needs to make a decision this year on who stays and who goes at the QB position based on what they want in a QB. The other guy needs to go - as soon as the decision is made. I've never seen a QB controversy like this (Elway vs Maddox wasn't much of one and Jake vs Jay was child's play compared to this one). The house is divided and keeping both guys will keep it that way.

Denver Native (Carol)
05-19-2011, 12:33 PM
Tim Tebow is in town.

The Broncos' quarterback is joining a group of his teammates at the South Suburban Sports Dome to throw passes and go through a conditioning workout.

Tebow arrived at 10 a.m. — an hour early — to throw to receiver Britt Davis and tight end Dan Gronkowski.

Tebow also spent more than 15 minutes taking snaps from center J.D. Walton.

It is Tebow's first appearance at the group practices organized by safety Brian Dawkins.

Quarterback Kyle Orton, who was at team workouts last week, is not participating today.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_18095806

rcsodak
05-19-2011, 01:03 PM

-----

At the bottom of the article, she lists all the players that were there. Orton was listed.

vandammage13
05-19-2011, 02:12 PM
....Anyway, what really transpired was that Orton worked with his drops and passes
the press, as I understand it -- and then left. Which is no big thing to me: a QB does not need the skills or conditioning that the rest of the team needs.
-----

This is probably the type of thinking that results in Orton getting injured every year....(Not to mention having nothing left in the tank at the end of games) :coffee:

TXBRONC
05-19-2011, 02:14 PM
This is probably the type of thinking that results in Orton getting injured every year....(Not to mention having nothing left in the tank at the end of games) :coffee:

Maybe but it could be just about anything.

vandammage13
05-19-2011, 02:17 PM
Maybe but it could be just about anything.

It might not be the primary cause, but it certainly doesn't help him.

TXBRONC
05-19-2011, 02:22 PM
It might not be the primary cause, but it certainly doesn't help him.

Absolutely. It's way to rough of a sport not be the best shape that you can be in.

rcsodak
05-19-2011, 03:43 PM
Maybe since he's in the last year of his deal, and knows these are all non-NFL sanctioned, it may not be the smartest thing to do. In fact, more and more agents are advising against it, per Sirius NFL. And should anybody get hurt, they could very well be Fubar.

Nobody ever said he was stupid.

turftoad
05-19-2011, 04:55 PM
To bad neither Tebow OR Orton "organized" these workouts like Cutler did with the Bears. :shocked:

Where's the leadership? :mad:

rcsodak
05-19-2011, 05:09 PM
To bad neither Tebow OR Orton "organized" these workouts like Cutler did with the Bears. :shocked:

:eek:

No you DINNIT!!!

Juriga72
05-19-2011, 06:56 PM

Well..... To be true, Greg Olsen ( Tight end) got kicked off a HIGH SCHOOL field he was using to keep in shape... then Cutty tried to get some guys together...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/04/14/greg-olsen-locked-out-high-school_n_849420.html

Denver Native (Carol)
05-19-2011, 07:13 PM

Hey turf - don't give him too much credit - it was for some of the offensive players only, and he was not the only one who put it together :D

from article

According to ESPNChicago.com, Bears' quarterback Jay Cutler organized team workouts with a select group of skilled offensive players on Tuesday.

There is no official word on exactly who was there but Hanie, Cutler and Davis all had recently admitted to being involved in the planning process. The group did practice passing and route running, ESPN said.

http://www.chicagonow.com/blogs/chicago-bears-huddle/2011/05/jay-cutler-organizing-offensive-workouts.html

TXBRONC
05-19-2011, 07:45 PM

:whoknows: