PDA

View Full Version : Labor Impact on Broncos

ydave77
05-10-2011, 11:48 AM
I know nobody like reading the labor related posts, or hearing the nonsense from owners or players.
I am curious though, as I see many here favoring the players side, are you altruistic, or am i missing something?

I have always been on the owners side, because I am on the Broncos side.
If we continue to have rising salary caps, will football go the way of baseball? With no cap last yr, our salary outlay last yr was 6th LOWEST...
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/09/19/team-by-team-salary-cap-numbers-if-there-were-a-salary-cap/

Will football eventually be dominated by the Cowboys, Redskins, and other high spending teams? Whether Bowlen is truly cash strapped or not, I dont think we will be one of the highest spending teams, and will be at a disadvantage accordingly.

The current owners proposal has an elevated salary floor, and a reduced cap, which by my eyes is perfect, keeps everyone on a level playing field. Nobody can hugely outspend the others.

Does this make sense, or am I missing something?

rationalfan
05-10-2011, 11:59 AM
good questions/points. unfortunately they're not as sexy as debating why the team drafted a dlineman or if tebow's growing a mustache.

BigDaddyBronco
05-10-2011, 12:07 PM
I don't really care what chunk of the revenues the owners get vs. the players, that is what the fight is ultimately about. A few percentage points that equate to a few billion dollars.

Hopefully the deal that gets made includes a rookie salary cap, a 16 game schedule, and some kind of increased health benefits for retired players.

I think the owners really screwed themselves with the last deal and the middle ground is probably somewhat less than the players have had. I understand why the players union is fighting that, that is what they do. They could make some concessions to keep the game financially strong and improve the NFL health care system for retirees, but it seems like they want to maximize the earning potential for the stars as much as anything.

T.K.O.
05-10-2011, 01:15 PM
good questions/points. unfortunately they're not as sexy as debating why the team drafted a dlineman or if tebow's growing a mustache.

maybe someone can start a "photshop the best stash on Tebow" thread:laugh::shocked:

ydave77
05-10-2011, 04:12 PM
I don't really care what chunk of the revenues the owners get vs. the players, that is what the fight is ultimately about. A few percentage points that equate to a few billion dollars.

Hopefully the deal that gets made includes a rookie salary cap, a 16 game schedule, and some kind of increased health benefits for retired players.

I think the owners really screwed themselves with the last deal and the middle ground is probably somewhat less than the players have had. I understand why the players union is fighting that, that is what they do. They could make some concessions to keep the game financially strong and improve the NFL health care system for retirees, but it seems like they want to maximize the earning potential for the stars as much as anything.

I agree, that I could care less who "wins", or gets more money, as long as it doesnt affect competitive balance. If the players "won", but there was a salary floor very close to the salary cap, to force every franchise to spend equally I could care less.
I just want to make sure we have an even playing field, and the Broncos can compete as well as any other team.
We can't go the way of baseball, because Bowlen doesnt have Steinbrenner money...

Lonestar
05-10-2011, 06:50 PM
On the side of the owners. Hard to sidwith greedy morons that will blow through their bonuses and money and be broke 4 years after getting cut.
The owners made a bad Deal in the past CBA and have to fix it.
Or the NFL becomes the haves and have nots.

Juriga72
05-10-2011, 07:57 PM
On the side of the owners. Hard to sidwith greedy morons that will blow through their bonuses and money and be broke 4 years after getting cut.
The owners made a bad Deal in the past CBA and have to fix it.
Or the NFL becomes the haves and have nots.

So now its guys who made BILLIONS in business...."Made a bad deal" 4 years ago?

really???? You think that guys who make money hand over fist made a "Bad deal"...

wow..just wow

Agent of Orange
05-10-2011, 09:06 PM

No, its not that. Its that no one knows what are the true sticking points. There are so many issues, ranging from the commissioners ability to spend players to salary structure.

The guy does make a good point though that the owners could be divided.

rcsodak
05-11-2011, 04:50 AM

really???? You think that guys who make money hand over fist made a "Bad deal"...

wow..just wow

What part do you not understand?

How many times/ways does it have to be said for you to fathom that the owners saw that the deal was unsustainable and needed to be killed and replaced?
That's WHY they're billionaires in the first place. They are forward thinkers, and remedy problems before they lose their asses.

ydave77
05-11-2011, 08:42 AM

wow..just wow

Juriga,

My question to you is:
Do you really care that much about the players well being, or hate the owners enough to want the players to "win"? Even if that means ever escalating salary caps, which the Broncos will never be near, and the loss of competitive balance with high spending teams and low spending teams?

missingnumber7
05-11-2011, 09:11 PM
I know nobody like reading the labor related posts, or hearing the nonsense from owners or players.
I am curious though, as I see many here favoring the players side, are you altruistic, or am i missing something?

I have always been on the owners side, because I am on the Broncos side.
If we continue to have rising salary caps, will football go the way of baseball? With no cap last yr, our salary outlay last yr was 6th LOWEST...
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/09/19/team-by-team-salary-cap-numbers-if-there-were-a-salary-cap/

Will football eventually be dominated by the Cowboys, Redskins, and other high spending teams? Whether Bowlen is truly cash strapped or not, I dont think we will be one of the highest spending teams, and will be at a disadvantage accordingly.

The current owners proposal has an elevated salary floor, and a reduced cap, which by my eyes is perfect, keeps everyone on a level playing field. Nobody can hugely outspend the others.

Does this make sense, or am I missing something?

Not having a cap also took out the mins as well. Not having a league min or veteran min will hurt the league more than not having a cap.

I'm really not pro players or pro owners, I just want to see football.