PDA

View Full Version : Please explain you (Mebane) boner

OldschoolFreak
05-07-2011, 05:10 PM
Hey there-

Will someone please explain why everyone on here has a big 'ole boner for the Broncos getting Brandon Mebane I FA. Don't get me wrong, I've got nothing against the guy and like everyone else, DT is my top position of need for the team. I just don't know the kid. I've never really watched him play and from what I've seen his stats aren't exactly overwhelming.

So, from those who know his game, what is about the kid that has everyone on here talking about him as the best potential DT pickup for Denver?

BroncoWave
05-07-2011, 05:26 PM
Just for the record, DT is probably the worst position to judge just based on stats.

Ziggy
05-07-2011, 05:29 PM
He has a very low center of gravity, plays with great leverage, he's young and just starting to come into his prime. He can also play either tackle position very well. He's a guy that can both hold the point of attack and get some pressure on the QB.

Shananahan
05-07-2011, 05:36 PM
He has a very low center of gravity, plays with great leverage, he's young and just starting to come into his prime. He can also play either tackle position very well. He's a guy that can both hold the point of attack and get some pressure on the QB.
Excellent summary. The being young and just hitting his stride part is the reason I would most like to sign him. Good DTs in their prime are almost never available in FA.

spikerman
05-07-2011, 05:44 PM
More than anything he seems to be far superior to any of the current Broncos' DTs - of course that doesn't seem to say much.

BroncoBJ
05-07-2011, 07:54 PM
It happens every year on these boards. 1 or 2 people like a certain player. They talk about him. Then all of a sudden a bunch of brainless posters get all hyped and they all want him and act like they've loved him his whole career. :lol:

Its like no one has a mind of thier own sometimes. :coffee:

Shananahan
05-08-2011, 12:49 AM
So you don't think they should try and sign him? You don't think he should be the #1 target at DT? Based on their moves so far I don't think Denver is going to be making any ridiculous or irresponsible signings, but I have to think landing Mebane without doing so is way up there on their hopes for free agency.

Lonestar
05-08-2011, 08:43 AM
It happens every year on these boards. 1 or 2 people like a certain player. They talk about him. Then all of a sudden a bunch of brainless posters get all hyped and they all want him and act like they've loved him his whole career. :lol:

Its like no one has a mind of thier own sometimes. :coffee:

Great post absolutely hit that out I the park.

Personally I know very little of other players besides the ones that play against us. Have almost no time to watch other games lately.

One of the reasons I'm here is to hear what others think and what is new.

But then I do my own research and make up my own mind before posting.

spikerman
05-08-2011, 09:10 AM
I was listening to Sirius NFL radio last week and they were talking about him. They mentioned that Denver was just one of five or six teams that could make a run at him. Apparently he's a restricted free agent, but in their opinion some team would be willing to sacrifice a draft choice (if I remember correctly, they figured it would be a 3rd rounder) for him.

Either way, Denver cannot go into the next season without addressing the position. Their best DT on the roster is a castoff from another team (Vickers). Whether it's Mebane or somebody else, Denver is in serious need of somebody.

Lonestar
05-08-2011, 12:04 PM
I was listening to Sirius NFL radio last week and they were talking about him. They mentioned that Denver was just one of five or six teams that could make a run at him. Apparently he's a restricted free agent, but in their opinion some team would be willing to sacrifice a draft choice (if I remember correctly, they figured it would be a 3rd rounder) for him.

Either way, Denver cannot go into the next season without addressing the position. Their best DT on the roster is a castoff from another team (Vickers). Whether it's Mebane or somebody else, Denver is in serious need of somebody.

The "owning" team places tender on the player from 1-4 rounder or so. I we sign him then we owe them that pick next year.

If he is as good as they way he is I'd be shocked if he does not have a first on him. Frankly I'd gladly pay that for a bone-fide stud DT

It was what I and almost everyone else was willing to so this year.

We then donnot have to go through the 2 year learning curve most Dl guys seem to take.

We have an instant starter that is a proven stud.

hotcarl
05-08-2011, 12:56 PM
i always have a boner

BroncoBJ
05-08-2011, 01:10 PM
Great post absolutely hit that out I the park.

Personally I know very little of other players besides the ones that play against us. Have almost no time to watch other games lately.

One of the reasons I'm here is to hear what others think and what is new.

But then I do my own research and make up my own mind before posting.

Yea, same here. Usually if I don't know much about a certain player, I don't go on here and talk about him like I've always loved him. But its funny how it happens every year. During draft and during free agency. You always see people talking about a player and then everyone just starts to love that player. Or if everyone hates a player and doesn't want him, then everyone will hate him. Its pretty crazy how it is.

Agent of Orange
05-08-2011, 01:28 PM
Isn't there a Hallmark greeting card that says, "Having a Mebane boner means never having to explain your Mebane boner."?

SoCalImport
05-08-2011, 02:28 PM
Well since hearing that he's possibly available (on here) I've seen a few Seahawk blog/articles/forums that state that he's a priority for Seattle to get signed and that letting him walk would be the biggest mistake since letting Steve Hutchinson get away.

Haven't watched any tape but if what seahawks press and fans are saying is anything to go by, then he's a young stud DT.

G_Money
05-08-2011, 02:33 PM
He is a dominant run stuffer at the one or three technique (between center and guard, or guard and tackle). When he was in games, the Seahawks couldn't be run on in his direction. When he was out, their run D suffered greatly.

He takes double teams and still holds his ground, he can push a pocket from the inside and make a QB uncomfortable even though he's not a pass-rusher by any stretch, and he's young enough to still be good for quite a while.

His skillset is precisely what we've been lacking since, well, forever, and that's why so many people have a Mebane boner. Or at least why they should.

~G

G_Money
05-08-2011, 02:37 PM
He's also stat-unselfish, which is fairly important in DTs but especially run-stoppers. Mebane has a job: keep the hole closed, the trash off the smaller, quicker LBs we're gonna be using, and watch that LB get the glory for the tackle or sack.

I like both Mebane and Cofield for different reasons (Cofield gets up the field better) but they're both stat-unselfish with a team-first mentality and the skills to be quality defensive linemen.

~G

Lonestar
05-08-2011, 10:02 PM
Let's just hope we can get a Quality DT. Since they blew it several times inthe draft.

TXBRONC
05-08-2011, 10:28 PM
They took the best players available according to their board.

atwater27
05-08-2011, 11:13 PM
As long as we can get a young, promising DT on board; or 2, I will be fully happy. I've said it 1000 times... Asides from QB and LT, there is no more important position than DT. And there is not one position with fewer dominant athletes to choose from. It has a high injury percentage, a high diva percentage, a high show me the money and screw the team that drafted me come free agency percentage, and a higher 'make the whole side of the ball look better than they really are percentage. The more you have on your team, the better. Baltimore understands this, the 90's Cowboys did too. The Lions currently do as well. Apparently, we've missed the memo so far.

Ravage!!!
05-08-2011, 11:25 PM
As long as we can get a young, promising DT on board; or 2, I will be fully happy. I've said it 1000 times... Asides from QB and LT, there is no more important position than DT. And there is not one position with fewer dominant athletes to choose from. It has a high injury percentage, a high diva percentage, a high show me the money and screw the team that drafted me come free agency percentage, and a higher 'make the whole side of the ball look better than they really are percentage. The more you have on your team, the better. Baltimore understands this, the 90's Cowboys did too. The Lions currently do as well. Apparently, we've missed the memo so far.

the 90's cowboys won with offense, and the Ravens and Lions have how many Super Bowls?

As I just pointed out in another thread, From 2007-2011, the Patriots have drafted a cornerback or safety six times in the first or second round.... seems they missed the memo as well.

atwater27
05-08-2011, 11:35 PM
the 90's cowboys won with offense, and the Ravens and Lions have how many Super Bowls?

As I just pointed out in another thread, From 2007-2011, the Patriots have drafted a cornerback or safety six times in the first or second round.... seems they missed the memo as well.

I am not saying you can't win in many ways, I simply think the best blueprint is in fortifying the inside trenches with the best. Ask Ray Lewis what he thinks about that strategy. By the way, the Cowboys defense was a highly underrated unit that gave that offense everything they needed to succeed. And it all started up front. As far as the Pats are concerned, they are nothing without Tom Brady. As far as the Lion's comment, come on now, you know exactly what I'm getting at. They made a consious decision to invest in their interior D-line last season and in this draft. Now watch the fireworks.

Ziggy
05-09-2011, 01:25 AM
The Cowboys defenses of the 90's became an elite defense when they picked up Charles Haley and won 3 championships in 4 years. He was the edge rusher that they were lacking.

Mebane would be a good signing. Some will complain about the money that it will take to get him, but had we drafted Dareus, the Broncos were looking at more than a 12 million dollar/year investment with no new CBA. Mebane will come cheaper, and he's a proven commodity in the NFL. As it stands, we'd also have to give up a 3rd round pick. Again, it would be well worth the investment.

SOCALORADO.
05-09-2011, 08:56 AM
Mebane was tendered at a 3rd round pick, but that was 1 week before the old contract had expired. SEA did this knowing there was a lockout looming to let him know that he was their top priority. If the lockout is lifted, Mebane will more than likely become a UFA.
However, Carroll has made it known that Mebane is his top priority. He will simply match any offer made for him unless its a crazy, 2 1sts and a player type deal. (And Joshy doesnt work here anymore, so for forget that)
Mebane aint goin anywhere. It impossible to pry top notch DTs away from their repective teams. Mebanes a pipe dream.
SEAs new GM has already made it known to the fans that the last time a top tier linemen got away from SEA, it was a huge embarassment for the city, (Hutchinson) and that this would NEVER happen again.
Aint happening. Pipe Dream.

Just hope DEN can grab Cofield/Patterson.
No....pray.

G_Money
05-09-2011, 11:11 AM
I agree, I don't think the Seahawks let him get away, but if they did he's the guy I'd like best. Cofield is the next guy on my list, though as I said he plays a slightly different style. If we're gonna play an up-the-field attacking D, might as well do it at every position, right?

~G

rcsodak
05-09-2011, 11:42 AM

DE is the 3rd most important position.

To build a solid D base, though, you start with the inside power triangle.
34=NT/2ILB's
43=2DT's/MLB

rcsodak
05-09-2011, 11:49 AM

To be fair, though, NE was able to because of the line they already had. Now look at them the last couple years, and tell me they couldn't have used some help on their DL.

Part of me thinks BB has the same god-complex (on D) shanny has with rb's. They both draft later intending to coach them up.

Poet
05-09-2011, 11:54 AM
Also, the Patriots have Wilfork, and have drafted a few DT's recently, Fields from Boston College comes to mind.

SOCALORADO.
05-09-2011, 12:15 PM
Also, the Patriots have Wilfork, and have drafted a few DT's recently, Fields from Boston College comes to mind.

DT Ron Brace from BC.
NE has had 2 1sts and 2nds for what seems like forever too. They can afford to take DBs high as a luxury pick becuase they have extra picks to begin with.

Poet
05-09-2011, 12:29 PM
DT Ron Brace from BC.
NE has had 2 1sts and 2nds for what seems like forever too. They can afford to take DBs high as a luxury pick becuase they have extra picks to begin with.

Argh, I always get those two guys confused, and I'm not sure why.

New England needs a pass rusher, they have for years and that's what's killing them defensively more than anything.

I think Denver has a plan for the defensive line. It will unfold.

SOCALORADO.
05-09-2011, 12:39 PM
Argh, I always get those two guys confused, and I'm not sure why.

New England needs a pass rusher, they have for years and that's what's killing them defensively more than anything.

I think Denver has a plan for the defensive line. It will unfold.

I actually think they had a kinda bad draft.
They did get another 1st next year though, but i am a bit leery of some of their picks.
I guess time will tell. I like the Dowling pick though.

turftoad
05-09-2011, 02:10 PM
Let's just hope we can get a Quality DT. Since they blew it several times inthe draft.

Exactly TX!! They also said they were going to address it very aggressive during free agency. I think they knew thier own board better than anyone else.
That said, lets hope they hold true to thier word about free agency, if it ever happens.

TXBRONC
05-09-2011, 02:35 PM
Exactly TX!! They also said they were going to address it very aggressive during free agency. I think they knew their own board better than anyone else.
That said, lets hope they hold true to their word about free agency, if it ever happens.

As I've said before I feel better about how this regime is handling things than I do about the prior.

Ziggy
05-09-2011, 05:00 PM
Mebane was tendered at a 3rd round pick, but that was 1 week before the old contract had expired. SEA did this knowing there was a lockout looming to let him know that he was their top priority. If the lockout is lifted, Mebane will more than likely become a UFA.
However, Carroll has made it known that Mebane is his top priority. He will simply match any offer made for him unless its a crazy, 2 1sts and a player type deal. (And Joshy doesnt work here anymore, so for forget that)
Mebane aint goin anywhere.

If Mebane becomes and UFA, teams don't have to give up any picks for him. Yes, we'll have to outbid Seattle, but like I said in my last post, the Broncos were willing to pay Dareus over 12 million/year if Carolina had taken Miller first. As much as I like Dareus, Mebane is a proven commodity. Carroll may match any offer, but in the end it will be up to Mebane himself and not Carroll. Hopefully Elway recruits as well as he played.

rcsodak
05-09-2011, 05:03 PM
Put a poison pill in the offer.....walaah! Lol

tomjonesrocks
05-09-2011, 06:14 PM
I think there's a lot of truth in the OP. I have a hard-on for Mebane because of all the hype here and the fact that I read he was the cream of the DT FA class--not because I really know much about him.

That didn't stop me from urging the Broncos to sign him though. :P Honestly I just want a DT to actually sign here...ANY DT...just sign someone for the love of...

SOCALORADO.
05-10-2011, 08:02 AM
If Mebane becomes and UFA, teams don't have to give up any picks for him. Yes, we'll have to outbid Seattle, but like I said in my last post, the Broncos were willing to pay Dareus over 12 million/year if Carolina had taken Miller first. As much as I like Dareus, Mebane is a proven commodity. Carroll may match any offer, but in the end it will be up to Mebane himself and not Carroll. Hopefully Elway recruits as well as he played.

1st, thats if the new CBA allows him to be a UFA. Even then, all accounts are that Mebane likes SEA, he has no inclination of leaving, and Carroll will match any offer. Your dreaming.
2nd. More than likely if a team wanted Mebane they would have to break the bank to do so, knowing Carroll will match any offer, so they would offer up a sign and trade deal with SEA. That way, SEA gets what they want, and the respective team gets Mebane at a very expensive price.
3rd. The new GM has already publicly stated that they will not make a mistake in dealing with Mebane like the former GM did with Hutchinson.
4th. IF things DO go bad for SEA with Mebane, SEA can just franchise him at 8 mil for 1 year. Then they can work out a long term contract.
So tell me, how much is Mebane worth??
Whats really sad is that this is where DEN fans are relegated to.
Hoping for a pipe dream.

Lonestar
05-10-2011, 10:03 AM
Good post Socal.

But not sure they can play the franchise card at this point.

Think that needed to be done before they tendered him a 3rd rounder.

Yes they can match any deal but add a poison pill and he is ours.

That said I do not beleive for a minute that fox will press for a bug name DT, since his D is set up for fast LB and pass rushing DEs.

If we get someone it will because John knows it is the right thing to do. That is a BIG IF.

Fan in Exile
05-10-2011, 11:34 AM

The problem with saying this is that the FO is allowed to make trades. They traded back which caused them to miss out on Jenkins whom they liked. They also traded up but picked a TE. They didn't get a DT because they made decisions not to. They gambled and we'll have to see how it pays off this year.

Personally I think it's short sighted not to haven taken a DT this year. It's not the end of the world or anything and there is still FA, but it will complicate things long term.

Of course they could always pull their fat out of the fire by hitting on a undrafted free agent, but that's a much more risky proposition.

Shananahan
05-10-2011, 11:41 AM
1st, thats if the new CBA allows him to be a UFA. Even then, all accounts are that Mebane likes SEA, he has no inclination of leaving, and Carroll will match any offer. Your dreaming.
2nd. More than likely if a team wanted Mebane they would have to break the bank to do so, knowing Carroll will match any offer, so they would offer up a sign and trade deal with SEA. That way, SEA gets what they want, and the respective team gets Mebane at a very expensive price.
3rd. The new GM has already publicly stated that they will not make a mistake in dealing with Mebane like the former GM did with Hutchinson.
4th. IF things DO go bad for SEA with Mebane, SEA can just franchise him at 8 mil for 1 year. Then they can work out a long term contract.
Hoping for a pipe dream.
I don't get the second point. I admit to not knowing Seattle's exact cap status, but what makes them out-biddable? And why would Mebane sign with Seattle at a lower rate knowing he's just going to be traded?

And I don't understand your 'what's really sad' comment about where Denver fans are 'relegated'. Every fanbase of teams that need DT help is hoping to sign Mebane. Of course it isn't realistic, but that isn't what this thread is about.

Your 'it will never happen so I'll pretend like I don't care' stance is kinda silly.

rcsodak
05-10-2011, 01:42 PM
Hoping for a pipe dream.

Who says tags will be available? And even if they are, if they didn't already, they may have screwed the pooch. And thees always the ugly, hardly used 'poison pill' offer sheet, that could ultimately force Sea to let him go.

Pipe dream? Maybe. Impossibility as you have it? Not necessarily.

SOCALORADO.
05-10-2011, 02:48 PM
I don't get the second point. I admit to not knowing Seattle's exact cap status, but what makes them out-biddable? And why would Mebane sign with Seattle at a lower rate knowing he's just going to be traded?

And I don't understand your 'what's really sad' comment about where Denver fans are 'relegated'. Every fanbase of teams that need DT help is hoping to sign Mebane. Of course it isn't realistic, but that isn't what this thread is about.

Your 'it will never happen so I'll pretend like I don't care' stance is kinda silly.

The GM has already made it known to the fans that he will not let another Steve Hutchinson deal be made for Mebane. SEA will match any offer is what i mean. Why would Mebane leave SEA? He has stated he likes it there.
It will never happen. Pipe dream.

From Eric Williams, word from Mebane's agent:
"They (SEA) made it clear that they would like Brandon to stay," Price said. "And Brandon has made it clear that he’d like to be there. So we’re really working hard to keep Brandon there."
http://www.fieldgulls.com/2011/3/1/2023135/brandon-mebane-tagged-as-original-round-rfa

Pete Carroll is no dummy. He knows that when Mebane wasnt playing, SEA was ghashed for huge yards on the ground last year. Mebane is their most important defensive player, and Carroll knows it. He aint leaving.

Shananahan
05-10-2011, 03:33 PM
That's all fair and good, and I'm not saying you're wrong, but what if somebody outbids Seattle? I mean, like I said I haven't looked at salary caps but why are they out-biddable?

Beyond that, I never said it wasn't a pipe dream. I just find your condescension toward fans hoping for something unlikely really lame.

rcsodak
05-10-2011, 03:46 PM
The GM has already made it known to the fans that he will not let another Steve Hutchinson deal be made for Mebane. SEA will match any offer is what i mean. Why would Mebane leave SEA? He has stated he likes it there.
It will never happen. Pipe dream.

From Eric Williams, word from Mebane's agent:
"They (SEA) made it clear that they would like Brandon to stay," Price said. "And Brandon has made it clear that he’d like to be there. So we’re really working hard to keep Brandon there."
http://www.fieldgulls.com/2011/3/1/2023135/brandon-mebane-tagged-as-original-round-rfa

Pete Carroll is no dummy. He knows that when Mebane wasnt playing, SEA was ghashed for huge yards on the ground last year. Mebane is their most important defensive player, and Carroll knows it. He aint leaving.

Mr Bowlen said shanny would coach til he left of his accord. Your point?

Just as mcd said.....EVERYBODY is movable if it'll help the team.
maybe they have someone else that can do what he did, and think a pick would help them.
Owners/coaches will say anything to improve value.

SOCALORADO.
05-10-2011, 03:54 PM
That's all fair and good, and I'm not saying you're wrong, but what if somebody outbids Seattle? I mean, like I said I haven't looked at salary caps but why are they out-biddable?

Beyond that, I never said it wasn't a pipe dream. I just find your condescension toward fans hoping for something unlikely really lame.

Hoping for pipe dreams is really lame.
And its becoming the standard here, which is also really lame.
Thats what i mean by relegated.
Relegated to hoping for something thats never gonna happen.
Just reaks of desperation.

Shananahan
05-10-2011, 04:07 PM
Methinks you are overreacting a little bit in some weird attempt at negativity.

Hoping to sign a young and talented player at a position of drastic need is not desperation, it's optimism. If everybody were somehow hitching all their hopes and dreams to him, I might see where you're coming from. As it is, all I've seen are people talking about how great it would be if Denver landed him, something which you have yet to show as an impossibility.

SOCALORADO.
05-10-2011, 05:00 PM
Methinks you are overreacting a little bit in some weird attempt at negativity.

Hoping to sign a young and talented player at a position of drastic need is not desperation, it's optimism. If everybody were somehow hitching all their hopes and dreams to him, I might see where you're coming from. As it is, all I've seen are people talking about how great it would be if Denver landed him, something which you have yet to show as an impossibility.

Oh just wait, my young, 87 posts on this board, friend!
The bandwagon is on its way!
This happens every year.
And that wagon is always on time.

rcsodak
05-10-2011, 06:35 PM
Oh just wait, my young, 87 posts on this board, friend!
The bandwagon is on its way!
This happens every year.
And that wagon is always on time.

You act like it only occurs on Bronco sites. :laugh:

Superchop 7
05-10-2011, 06:41 PM
Penile erection is a physiological phenomenon where the penis becomes enlarged and firm. Penile erection is the result of a complex interaction of psychological, neural, vascular and endocrine factors, and is usually, though not exclusively, associated with sexual arousal. Penile erection can also occur due to a full urinary bladder. In some males, erection can occur spontaneously at any time of day, and is known as nocturnal penile tumescence when occurring during rapid eye movement sleep.