PDA

View Full Version : Denver Broncos quarterback quandary won't be solved soon

Denver Native (Carol)
05-07-2011, 12:14 PM
So much of the correspondence and public discourse over the past few months, or at least since John Elway said at the Super Bowl that Kyle Orton was the Broncos' starting quarterback, has had to do with who should play quarterback for the local franchise and why.

There is the idea Orton is the team's best chance to win at the moment, his very real struggles down the stretch last season not withstanding.

There is the idea that Tim Tebow is the future, 50 percent completion rate or no 50 percent completion rate.

There is the idea that, in just a smattering of selections, Brady Quinn should at least get a fair shot.

There is talk about why the Broncos' hierarchy of Elway, coach John Fox and general manager Brian Xanders won't give the no-questions-asked, no-disclaimer-needed blessing to any of the three quarterbacks. Or, at least there is talk about why they won't simply hand Tebow the job before he does or doesn't win it on his own.

And the bottom line of bottom lines is ... Elway and Fox didn't pick any of the three quarterbacks. They didn't draft or sign them, didn't wine and dine them, didn't shake their hands after the contracts were signed.

They inherited them. They want to kick the tires a bit before deciding who gets in the driver's seat.

rest of article - http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_18010977

Shananahan
05-07-2011, 12:19 PM
I still don't buy that storyline. If that's the case, why were they letting people know that Orton could be had for a 2nd rounder several months ago?

rationalfan
05-07-2011, 12:26 PM
I still don't buy that storyline. If that's the case, why were they letting people know that Orton could be had for a 2nd rounder several months ago?

please keep in mind the difference between the media saying orton could be had for a 2nd rounder and the broncos saying the same thing. big difference.

Denver Native (Carol)
05-07-2011, 12:29 PM

I don't recall anywhere that Elway/Fox/Xanders stated that Orton could be had for a 2nd rounder several months ago.

rcsodak
05-07-2011, 12:40 PM
rest of article - http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_18010977

I thought Fox wine-and-dined TT leading up to the draft last year?

rcsodak
05-07-2011, 12:42 PM
please keep in mind the difference between the media saying orton could be had for a 2nd rounder and the broncos saying the same thing. big difference.

Just evidence that when a 'journalist' opines something, and it appeals to the reader, it somehow becomes fact.

Denver Native (Carol)
05-07-2011, 12:45 PM
I thought Fox wine-and-dined TT leading up to the draft last year?

Even if he did, all Fox saw at that time was film on Tebow in college. He still needs to see how any of the QB's do under the, more than likely, new offensive scheme that the Broncos will have.

Davii
05-07-2011, 12:52 PM
Even if he did, all Fox saw at that time was film on Tebow in college. He still needs to see how any of the QB's do under the, more than likely, new offensive scheme that the Broncos will have.

Not completely true Carol. Fox did wine and dine Tim before last years draft, and Tim tried to pull a fast one and pick up the tab. Fox, as the Panther's head coach, went to Tebow's pro-day at Florida, and I believe also attended the Senior Bowl. Additionally, if I remember correctly Tebow had a workout in Carolina, so that would be three time, at least, that Fox saw him workout in person.

After reading a few things about Fox and Tebow's dinner, etc I am convinced Fox wanted Tebow in Carolina.

tomjonesrocks
05-07-2011, 12:54 PM
Wow, what an informative article. That sure cleared things up.

Must be the offseason.. :lol:

Slick
05-07-2011, 01:09 PM
Why would anyone want to see more of Orton or Quinn. They're both turds. Let's find out if Tebow is worth a shit.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
05-07-2011, 01:36 PM
Hmmm, Elway said that it's, "not a forgone conclusion" that Orton would be traded. However, he never denied that he was on the market for a 2nd.

I wish I could find the link that stated the Broncos had sent the word out Orton was available for a 2nd. It was actually right after Elway took over, but prior to Fox being hired.

robert ethan
05-07-2011, 01:49 PM
Bronco QBs are terribly underrated. There are starters in the league who couldn't crack the top three in Denver. I think all three also had more impressive starts to their NFL careers than Elway did for that matter.

Dzone
05-07-2011, 01:51 PM
I think if Orton is gone and the job is Tebows to lose, there will be a different type of energy. Tebow just has that effect. Call it whatever you want: Charisma, the IT factor, leadership, etc. Tebow has IT, Orton does NOT.

Agent of Orange
05-07-2011, 01:52 PM
You can read into it whatever you want. Elway saying Orton is the starter could easily be perceived as an attempt at maintaining his trade value.

TXBRONC
05-07-2011, 02:52 PM
I think if Orton is gone and the job is Tebows to lose, there will be a different type of energy. Tebow just has that effect. Call it whatever you want: Charisma, the IT factor, leadership, etc. Tebow has IT, Orton does NOT.

Imo if Tebow beats Orton outright that's even better.

Shananahan
05-07-2011, 03:49 PM
Just evidence that when a 'journalist' opines something, and it appeals to the reader, it somehow becomes fact.
Yeah, I guess it is. Here's the original link with a link to the article Klis wrote. I must not have paid attention at the time, because Klis doesn't quote anybody or anything. http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/01/04/broncos-will-want-second-round-pick-for-orton/

That said, it's a good chance that he was told that by a source. I just do not buy all this 'We're going to see how they look in training camp and then decide" stuff. If they wait that long, they will have lost the opportunity to maximize his value.

Shananahan
05-07-2011, 03:51 PM
Imo if Tebow beats Orton outright that's even better.
Why, do you think Tebow will get hurt and we'll need a backup? If Tebow beats Orton out in camp then all he will do is sit on the bench for the season and leave when he's done. Why not get what you can for him now?

Denver Native (Carol)
05-07-2011, 03:58 PM
Yeah, I guess it is. Here's the original link with a link to the article Klis wrote. I must not have paid attention at the time, because Klis doesn't quote anybody or anything. http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/01/04/broncos-will-want-second-round-pick-for-orton/

That said, it's a good chance that he was told that by a source. I just do not buy all this 'We're going to see how they look in training camp and then decide" stuff. If they wait that long, they will have lost the opportunity to maximize his value.

The article Klis wrote was on Jan 4th - Don't remember when Elway was hired, but if by that time, it had to be just before Jan 4th. Also, we did not even have a new head coach hired by that time, so I have to assume that Klis was not told by a source, but rather the 2nd round pick was his opinion.

TXBRONC
05-07-2011, 07:27 PM
Why, do you think Tebow will get hurt and we'll need a backup? If Tebow beats Orton out in camp then all he will do is sit on the bench for the season and leave when he's done. Why not get what you can for him now?

Are you serious about saying we wont need a back up quarterback?