PDA

View Full Version : If Miller and Dumervil both make the probowl, how can a DB not?

Agent of Orange
05-06-2011, 08:19 PM
OK, lets face it, if Miller and Doom each have 12 or more sacks, they each stand a good chance to make the pro bowl. Think its not realistic? Well, consider that each probably helps the other tremendously. If the defense loads up against one, it makes it easier for the other.

With that premise in mind, aside from sacks, there is a tremendous likelihood of generating a lot of turnovers. Does it almost seem assured that, if Doom and Miller make it, a DB will too?

Montana Battlin Bear
05-06-2011, 09:01 PM
It would make it a lot more likely, I believe that is the reason they went and got the ballhawking safety Rahim Moore... He'll be able to sit back and intercept passes

Shananahan
05-07-2011, 01:48 AM
I've been vexed by a similar question: If Tim Tebow passes for 5,000yds and 50tds, runs for 2,000yds and 20tds as well as winning the NFL MVP, wouldn't it stand to reason that somebody else on offense will have had a good season?

Shananahan
05-07-2011, 02:01 AM
I guess if you want a serious answer to this silly question, my answer would be no. It's not a mathematical formula; nobody would be 'assured' anything. Obviously the likelihood of interceptions, fumbles, etc increases with pressure on the QB. The likelihood of two 12+ sack players in one season is low to the point that if it occurred I would be more interested in the depth of the playoff run than the Pro Bowl.

Aside from Nolan, Allen is probably the most excited I've been about a coordinator coming to Denver in a long time. Williams was a guy I had hoped Denver would go after, but he's had a lot of success in NO utilizing disguised formations, blitz packages and fronts. With him the goal is not force a punt, but to force a turnover. Many things Allen has said in interviews makes it sound like his defensive values are in line with Williams'. I hate to get my hopes up again, but perhaps this time with a HC who favors that side of the ball we could have a DC succeed and last for longer than one season.

Shananahan
05-07-2011, 02:04 AM
This was really a thread to complain about your simulated Madden season, right?

Montana Battlin Bear
05-07-2011, 02:57 AM

damn, you're a mind reader haha

Agent of Orange
05-07-2011, 07:17 AM
I've been vexed by a similar question: If Tim Tebow passes for 5,000yds and 50tds, runs for 2,000yds and 20tds as well as winning the NFL MVP, wouldn't it stand to reason that somebody else on offense will have had a good season?

I guess if you want a serious answer to this silly question, my answer would be no. It's not a mathematical formula; nobody would be 'assured' anything. Obviously the likelihood of interceptions, fumbles, etc increases with pressure on the QB. The likelihood of two 12+ sack players in one season is low to the point that if it occurred I would be more interested in the depth of the playoff run than the Pro Bowl.

Aside from Nolan, Allen is probably the most excited I've been about a coordinator coming to Denver in a long time. Williams was a guy I had hoped Denver would go after, but he's had a lot of success in NO utilizing disguised formations, blitz packages and fronts. With him the goal is not force a punt, but to force a turnover. Many things Allen has said in interviews makes it sound like his defensive values are in line with Williams'. I hate to get my hopes up again, but perhaps this time with a HC who favors that side of the ball we could have a DC succeed and last for longer than one season.

Why did this require 3 seperate posts? LOL

TXBRONC
05-07-2011, 07:58 AM
I don't know. It's sounds great and yes it can happen but it's not something that I would consider at the point.

nevcraw
05-07-2011, 09:45 AM
cart:horse

Agent of Orange
05-07-2011, 09:54 AM
cart:horse

Yeah, well you should never put the 'nev' before the 'craw' but some people do.

nevcraw
05-07-2011, 10:14 AM
Yeah, well you should never put the 'nev' before the 'craw' but some people do.

cute

CoachChaz
05-07-2011, 11:13 AM
Lets ask this question when we have a lesser CB. Champ already makes the Pro Bowl with no help. Giving him help could make him a lock based on his name alone.

However...how many Pitt CBs make the Pro Bowl when Harrison and Woodley get double digit sack totals?

Shananahan
05-07-2011, 11:48 AM
Why did this require 3 seperate posts? LOL
Why did this question require a thread?

Rick
05-07-2011, 11:54 AM
I wouldn't guarantee that they WILL each get 12 sacks+ per.

They are capable of it, no question, but will they get the CHANCE?

If there is Doom, Ayers(seems to fit better at DE), and Miller all out there with pass rush abilities....will the teams sit back there and pass or will they just run until we finally prove we can stop it?

Shananahan
05-07-2011, 12:04 PM
And if they do choose to run until we finally prove we can stop it, how many yards will they have run for? If that number is big enough number, will somebody receive recognition for it?

Agent of Orange
05-07-2011, 01:42 PM
Why did this question require a thread?

Why did you access the thread? It certainly didn't need your one post in three seperate parts.

Agent of Orange
05-07-2011, 01:46 PM
I wouldn't guarantee that they WILL each get 12 sacks+ per.

They are capable of it, no question, but will they get the CHANCE?

If there is Doom, Ayers(seems to fit better at DE), and Miller all out there with pass rush abilities....will the teams sit back there and pass or will they just run until we finally prove we can stop it?

I know it seems like we're bad at stopping the run, and its true we weren't very good at stopping the run. But when you think back to the season, that was exaccerbated by the fact that the team also had problems pressuring the QB and getting off the field on 3rd downs, which, in turn, led to other teams holding on to the ball longer and running more.

If you can get off the field on 3rd downs more and/or generate turnovers, you diminish the other teams opportunities to run.

nevcraw
05-07-2011, 02:04 PM
awesomest thread bra!! - ask a silly what if question and then nip at the responses..

yes!

frauschieze
05-07-2011, 06:34 PM
Since when is the ProBowl comprised of all the most deserving players?

TXBRONC
05-07-2011, 07:24 PM
Since when is the ProBowl comprised of all the most deserving players?

All the players I vote for are the most deserving. ;)

BroncoBJ
05-07-2011, 09:14 PM
If Lloyd and Royal both make the pro bowl this year, and Orton and Tebow both start 8 games each. Will both Orton and Tebow then make the pro bowl as well? :confused:

rcsodak
05-07-2011, 09:54 PM
Lets ask this question when we have a lesser CB. Champ already makes the Pro Bowl with no help. Giving him help could make him a lock based on his name alone.

However...how many Pitt CBs make the Pro Bowl when Harrison and Woodley get double digit sack totals?

You mean the least talented area of their team?