PDA

View Full Version : Broncos add some nastiness to O-line

Denver Native (Carol)
05-06-2011, 02:39 PM
ENGLEWOOD, Colo. - The Denver Broncos didn't grab the defensive tackle they so desperately needed in the NFL draft. They did get an offensive tackle with a mean streak in the mould of those run-stuffers in Miami's Orlando Franklin.

Franklin, a native of Jamaica who grew up in Toronto before moving to Florida, moved from left guard to left tackle his junior season. But the Hurricanes' dominant drive blocker will play right tackle in Denver, where he could be protecting Tim Tebow's blind side if the second-year Florida quarterback beats out Kyle Orton this fall.

What Franklin really looks forward to is boring holes for Tebow or the Broncos running backs.

"I like to think of myself as the most physical offensive lineman that was in this draft, and I am looking forward to bringing that nature to the Denver Broncos," Franklin said.

It's hard to overlook the six-foot-five, 322-pound offensive lineman nicknamed "Big O" now, but that was precisely his family's fear while Franklin was growing up in Canada.

"He's big and physical and knocks people off the ball. He gets his hands on you and you're usually going the other way," Fox said.

So, the Broncos bypassed such heralded run-stuffing prospects as Marvin Austin and Stephen Paea to select Franklin in the second round of the NFL draft last week.

"Orlando helps us big time at tackle," said John Elway, chief of football operations. "It makes us pretty solid up front."

Given his nose for nastiness, it's no surprise Franklin considers run-blocking his strength and he's eager to drive defensive linemen back for a mobile quarterback like Tebow.

rest of article - http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=capress-fbn_broncos_franklin-6776999

Buff
05-06-2011, 03:42 PM
I love this pick.

The presence of Tebow and Franklin alone ought to boost our redzone scoring percentage by about 25%.

G_Money
05-06-2011, 03:54 PM
Add Vai Taua as a UDFA and that'll help too. Lord, I hope our new OL coach can teach the guys how to crack a hole open and which guy they're supposed to block...

If he can - and I like him, so I think he can - then maybe we can put the ball over the goal line a few times, and Franklin should help in that regard.

~G

Grover
05-06-2011, 03:54 PM
I'm also hoping that Lendale White returns healthy and dedicated. He could be an excellent short yardage and goal line back for us, with this Big RT paving the way.

NightTerror218
05-06-2011, 04:45 PM
I figured going into the draft we would draft a RT that would protect Tebows blind side and I love this pick. He is the mighty RT we needed for a left handed QB.

TXBRONC
05-06-2011, 05:02 PM
Add Vai Taua as a UDFA and that'll help too. Lord, I hope our new OL coach can teach the guys how to crack a hole open and which guy they're supposed to block...

If he can - and I like him, so I think he can - then maybe we can put the ball over the goal line a few times, and Franklin should help in that regard.

~G

According to Dogfish Dave Magazu is very good. He's not Gibbs but he might be the next best thing. Also if I have heard correctly we're going to move back to more of a zone blocking scheme. :elefant:

Magazu enters his ninth NFL season and first with the Broncos, after coaching the Panthers’ tight ends (2003-06) and offensive line (2007-10) under Fox. Despite playing the last four games of the 2009 season without their two starting offensive tackles, the Panthers became the first team in NFL history to have two running backs (Jonathan Stewart, DeAngelo Williams) each rush for more than 1,100 yards. Prior to joining Carolina, Magazu spent 23 years coaching offensive lines at the collegiate level.

http://www.denverbroncos.com/team/coaches/Dave-Magazu/fe80848f-4a5e-49a8-b08c-7d4e97b898df

G_Money
05-06-2011, 05:11 PM
Trust me, the guy I was screaming that we needed from Fox's staff was Magazu - I was stoked that he came over. I was afraid we were gonna lose him to the Vikings, and then we'd be really screwed. He knows how to coach an OL, and how to INSTRUCT them in being better at their jobs, something that's been sorely lacking around here. Heck, he helped Boston College get their rep for churning out quality OL prospects.

He coaches a hybrid Zone/Man scheme which torches people in the run game but allows for bigger linemen. It was fun to watch it in Carolina with no QB - hopefully we can get a guy who can throw the rock here too (lookin at you Tebow, that's your job) and be a dual threat offense in a way Carolina rarely was.

Welcome to Denver, Mr. Magazu. :salute: Turn Franklin into a great offensive tackle and not just a mean one.

Unlike our current TE coach and former OL coach, I know that's in your skillset. And while you're at it, turn Walton into the nut-punching dirty SOB I know he can be at center.

TIA.

~G

TXBRONC
05-06-2011, 05:19 PM
Trust me, the guy I was screaming that we needed from Fox's staff was Magazu - I was stoked that he came over. I was afraid we were gonna lose him to the Vikings, and then we'd be really screwed. He knows how to coach an OL, and how to INSTRUCT them in being better at their jobs, something that's been sorely lacking around here. Heck, he helped Boston College get their rep for churning out quality OL prospects.

He coaches a hybrid Zone/Man scheme which torches people in the run game but allows for bigger linemen. It was fun to watch it in Carolina with no QB - hopefully we can get a guy who can throw the rock here too (lookin at you Tebow, that's your job) and be a dual threat offense in a way Carolina rarely was.

Welcome to Denver, Mr. Magazu. :salute: Turn Franklin into a great offensive tackle and not just a mean one.

Unlike our current TE coach and former OL coach, I know that's in your skillset. And while you're at it, turn Walton into the nut-punching dirty SOB I know he can be at center.

TIA.

~G

I don't know much about him but I did know that he developed Kalil and Gross into pro bowlers.

rcsodak
05-07-2011, 08:59 AM
I love this pick.

The presence of Tebow and Franklin alone ought to boost our redzone scoring percentage by about 25%.

Can you break that down for us, Buff?

TIA.
:beer:

:D

rcsodak
05-07-2011, 09:02 AM

~G

I'd venture to say he's hardly the zbs guru some are making him out to be. This franchise already had the best, at one time, until shanny sent him walking.

Just hope this guy is what made the rb's at carolina...and not the other way around.

TXBRONC
05-07-2011, 09:59 AM
I'd venture to say he's hardly the zbs guru some are making him out to be. This franchise already had the best, at one time, until shanny sent him walking.

Just hope this guy is what made the rb's at carolina...and not the other way around.

They ran a pretty successful version of the zone blocking scheme in Carolina. Also the guy has developed two pro bowl offensive linemen in Jordan Gross and Ryan Kalil.