PDA

View Full Version : Cardinals interested in Orton?

LawDog
05-06-2011, 11:55 AM
Several outlets (Mile High Report, PFT, Dan Patrick Show) have commented on rumors that the Cardinals have an interest in trading for Orton. I don't believe teams can be in actual conversations with respect to player trades at the moment so not sure how valid this is. It may just be a ploy by the Cardinals to try and drive down the price for Kolb once trades are allowed. Who knows... anyway, discuss if you like.

TXBRONC
05-06-2011, 12:06 PM
Several outlets (Mile High Report, PFT, Dan Patrick Show) have commented on rumors that the Cardinals have an interest in trading for Orton. I don't believe teams can be in actual conversations with respect to player trades at the moment so not sure how valid this is. It may just be a ploy by the Cardinals to try and drive down the price for Kolb once trades are allowed. Who knows... anyway, discuss if you like.

The story orignated from a Phoenix newpaper. The guy who led with said that he thinks the Cardinals interest in Orton is more of plan B if they can't land Kevin Kolb.

MileHighCrew
05-06-2011, 12:11 PM
Maybe we can trade Orton for the kicker that beat us single handed last year

robert ethan
05-06-2011, 12:21 PM
Brady Quinn is better than Kolb. Hell, Matt Leinart was better than Kolb.

LTC Pain
05-06-2011, 12:26 PM

How? Please explain in detail!

BroncoAV06
05-06-2011, 12:26 PM
Uh yeah that Matt Leinart really lit it up in Arizona. Can't forget his awesomeness as Schuabs back up!

BroncoStud
05-06-2011, 12:36 PM

Kolb hasn't played enough to show one way or another, from what I've seen he looks promising. Quinn just looks nervous on the field. Leinart has a noodle.

vandammage13
05-06-2011, 12:45 PM
I doubt the Cards could seriously be interested in Orton after that game he played against them last year. They saw first hand just how bad Orton can be...Then again, this is the Cardinals we're talking about here.

Denver Native (Carol)
05-06-2011, 12:56 PM
The story orignated from a Phoenix newpaper. The guy who led with said that he thinks the Cardinals interest in Orton is more of plan B if they can't land Kevin Kolb.

When the Arizona Cardinals didn't select a quarterback in the NFL draft last weekend, it signaled to the rest of the league that they want to land a veteran signal-caller when a labor agreement is reached and free agency begins.

According to KHTK-TV in Phoenix, the Cardinals have targeted Denver Broncos quarterback Kyle Orton.

The Cardinals and Broncos haven't had serious discussions, according to the source, because Philadelphia Eagles quarterback Kevin Kolb is still No. 1 on the Cardinals' wish list. The Broncos believe the Cardinals are interested in Orton as their "Plan B" in case a deal for Kolb cannot be completed.

http://prod.www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81fb4e5d/article/report-cardinals-interested-in-broncos-qb-orton-

SOCALORADO.
05-06-2011, 01:36 PM
If DEN can get a 2nd or 3rd from ARI or MIN, who also are rumored to be in the hunt for a veteran to keep Ponder focused, do it.

vandammage13
05-06-2011, 01:39 PM
If DEN can get a 2nd or 3rd from ARI or MIN, who also are rumored to be in the hunt for a veteran to keep Ponder focused, do it.

I doubt Minn would be interested in giving up a 2nd for Orton after they drafted Ponder that early. A 2nd rounder is a pretty steep price to pay for someone they are most likely planning on being a stop-gap guy. McNabb can be had on the cheap and is a perfect "stop-gap" guy at this point in his career.

TXBRONC
05-06-2011, 01:49 PM

Do you really want him to explain it? :shocked:

TXBRONC
05-06-2011, 01:50 PM
http://prod.www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81fb4e5d/article/report-cardinals-interested-in-broncos-qb-orton-

The PFT link that LawDog provided also had a link inside of it to that Phoenix newspaper FWIW.

TXBRONC
05-06-2011, 01:53 PM
I doubt Minn would be interested in giving up a 2nd for Orton after they drafted Ponder that early. A 2nd rounder is a pretty steep price to pay for someone they are most likely planning on being a stop-gap guy.

Agreed, that would be a shocker if the Vikings made a deal for Orton. It would be an even bigger shocker to get a 2nd or 3rd from the Vikings if they were interested in Orton.

robert ethan
05-06-2011, 01:57 PM

Kolb is 27 years old, has 11 career TDs, 15 Int, and has won 30% of his starts. Both Quinn and Leinart have better numbers than in the NFL, they are the same age, and they were much higher rated coming out of college. Kolb was playing on much better teams than the other two as a pro as well. I wouldn't give a 7th round pick for the guy.

vandammage13
05-06-2011, 01:58 PM
Agreed, that would be a shocker if the Vikings made a deal for Orton. It would be an even bigger shocker to get a 2nd or 3rd from the Vikings if they were interested in Orton.

Right, I'm sure the Vikings would be interested in Orton...Just not at the price we are shopping him for. Unfortunately, we may be forced to take a 4th rounder for Orton when all is said and done due to all the serviceable QBs that will be available once the CBA gets worked out. (Hasselbeck, McNabb, Bulger, Kolb, Orton)

chazoe60
05-06-2011, 02:02 PM
I don't care where he goes or for what price, so long as he just GOES AWAY!

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
05-06-2011, 02:03 PM

I'm having a hard time understanding what you really think and feel about this situation.

Could you be more specific? :laugh:

or did I just open up a can of worms?

slim
05-06-2011, 02:06 PM
Kolb is 27 years old, has 11 career TDs, 15 Int, and has won 30% of his starts. Both Quinn and Leinart have better numbers than in the NFL, they are the same age, and they were much higher rated coming out of college. Kolb was playing on much better teams than the other two as a pro as well. I wouldn't give a 7th round pick for the guy.

Well, let's see.

Leinart has 14 TDs, 20 Int and has wan 38% of his starts.

Quinn has 10 TDs, 9 Int and has won 28% of his starts.

Yes, Leinart and Quinn both have far superior numbers in the NFL. There is no doubt about it.

cardoso
05-06-2011, 02:07 PM
PLEASE just get him out of here at any cost!!!!!!!

vandammage13
05-06-2011, 02:09 PM

I agree, but it would be nice to get a 2nd rounder for him. I don't see us getting that, but if we did it would be like icing on the top.

chazoe60
05-06-2011, 02:09 PM
I'm having a hard time understanding what you really think and feel about this situation.

Could you be more specific? :laugh:

or did I just open up a can of worms?

That's it AW4M, its go time.

BTW, you think you'll be going to a game next season?

robert ethan
05-06-2011, 03:05 PM
Well, let's see.

Yes, Leinart and Quinn both have far superior numbers in the NFL. There is no doubt about it.
Eagles have been a strong team for a long while. Take a look at McNabb or Vick's record there during the past four years.

BORDERLINE
05-06-2011, 03:13 PM
Maybe we can trade Orton for the kicker that beat us single handed last year

http://thefantasygeek.files.wordpress.com/2010/12/jay-feely-vs-the-broncos.png

Almost the saddest sunday to be a Broncos fan last year. :tsk:

TXBRONC
05-06-2011, 04:35 PM
Well, let's see.

Kolb would probably be terrific in Arizona.

nevcraw
05-06-2011, 05:01 PM
Im not so sure the Broncos trade Orton.

slim
05-06-2011, 05:09 PM

When they lost Warner they went in the tank.

Leinart sure wasn't the answer.

The Glue Factory
05-06-2011, 05:50 PM
http://thefantasygeek.files.wordpress.com/2010/12/jay-feely-vs-the-broncos.png

Almost the saddest sunday to be a Broncos fan last year. :tsk:

Topped only by the Raiders blowout. :shots:

NightTerror218
05-06-2011, 06:05 PM
Im not so sure the Broncos trade Orton.

I would see that as high on the priority list if they name Tebow the starter. Orton is overpaid would free up some nice money to sign DT...like Jenkins

Agent of Orange
05-06-2011, 06:20 PM

Why? He's played in the WCO his whole time in the league. Orton has played in more than one offense.

I just wish they would do it already so all the Orton fans can move on to following their new team.

Magnificent Seven
05-06-2011, 06:36 PM
Trade Orton to Cardinals for Patrick Peterson! :D

vettesplus
05-06-2011, 07:03 PM
so um 1 question, if we trade Orton who is going to QB the broncos???? tebow...ya right in your bra!!!!

Dzone
05-06-2011, 07:15 PM
I just wish they would do it already so all the Orton fans can move on to following their new team.
LMAO!!! Good one!:beer::lol:

SmilinAssasSin27
05-06-2011, 07:21 PM
I like Orton and think he can do some positive things for us, but if Tebow is clearly the future, I'd be cool w/ a DT or a 2nd rd pick.

TXBRONC
05-06-2011, 07:54 PM
At 6:00pm CST I was watching Total Access they mentioned the article out of the Phoenix newspaper FWIW.

rcsodak
05-06-2011, 09:16 PM
I doubt Minn would be interested in giving up a 2nd for Orton after they drafted Ponder that early. A 2nd rounder is a pretty steep price to pay for someone they are most likely planning on being a stop-gap guy. McNabb can be had on the cheap and is a perfect "stop-gap" guy at this point in his career.
lmao...

Mcnot?
...yeah...what's $12MILLION for a" stopgap" interception throwing qb amongst friends, right? :laugh:

And orton wont go where he's not in line for competing for starter. He's gonna make starter money, on a 1yr contract, and wanting to get an extension. That puts minn out of the talks.
It puts az/sea/wash/mia in the bird cage seat though.

TXBRONC
05-06-2011, 10:10 PM
Trade Orton to Cardinals for Patrick Peterson! :D

Yeah I bet they would jump all over that deal. :lol:

Juriga72
05-07-2011, 06:10 AM
Yeah I bet they would jump all over that deal. :lol:

They drafted Lienart...and signed Anderson.... lol

TXBRONC
05-07-2011, 07:59 AM
They drafted Lienart...and signed Anderson.... lol

This is true but even the Cardinals aren't that crazy.

nevcraw
05-07-2011, 09:51 AM
I would see that as high on the priority list if they name Tebow the starter. Orton is overpaid would free up some nice money to sign DT...like Jenkins

sure -- but when is that going to be? Not going to happen before pre-season competition. By then for most teams it would be too late to bring in a potential starting QB.

BORDERLINE
05-07-2011, 10:54 AM
what if we give them Orton they hive us Hightower. I would be happy with that

TXBRONC
05-07-2011, 12:15 PM
what if we give them Orton they hive us Hightower. I would be happy with that

Hightower hasn't been particulary productive. I would rather have a draft pick.

Poet
05-07-2011, 12:50 PM

..............:eek:

rcsodak
05-07-2011, 01:10 PM
..............:eek:

I don't think he'll be as good as Schaub turned out. Frankly, he hasn't shown much, other than being able to put up bookoo yards, back in '09.

And evidently, that's a bad thing, going by what posters around here say. :cool:

Poet
05-07-2011, 01:11 PM
I don't think he'll be as good as Schaub turned out. Frankly, he hasn't shown much, other than being able to put up bookoo yards, back in '09.

And evidently, that's a bad thing, going by what posters around here say. :cool:

The guy has some question marks, but wouldn't give up a seventh rounder?

Yeesh.

rcsodak
05-07-2011, 01:16 PM
The guy has some question marks, but wouldn't give up a seventh rounder?

Yeesh.

Well, he's prolly worth more than that. But a 1st?

If it was me, he'd be worth no more than a 3rd, with maybe a future pick depending on his output.

Poet
05-07-2011, 01:24 PM
Well, he's prolly worth more than that. But a 1st?

If it was me, he'd be worth no more than a 3rd, with maybe a future pick depending on his output.

I would give up a first round for him. In context, I think what he's done has been pretty good. At this point, he has experience, and is starter worthy, that means a lot during this lockout.

chazoe60
05-07-2011, 01:34 PM

Yards aren't a bad thing, they're just nothing without points.

Dzone
05-07-2011, 02:23 PM
Orton is a starting NFL quarterback. Thats according to non other than John Elway! Demand a 2nd!!! In 3 or 4 years, Orton will be out of the NFL because he totally sucks.

rcsodak
05-07-2011, 02:58 PM
I would give up a first round for him. In context, I think what he's done has been pretty good. At this point, he has experience, and is starter worthy, that means a lot during this lockout.

What, in gm 1 last year, caught your eye? After he 'won' the competition and took most of the reps.

rcsodak
05-07-2011, 03:00 PM
Orton is a starting NFL quarterback. Thats according to non other than John Elway! Demand a 2nd!!! In 3 or 4 years, Orton will be out of the NFL because he totally sucks.

Nice to see you hold elway in such low regard.

FanInAZ
05-07-2011, 04:33 PM
Phoenix’s CBS affiliate is taking a poll to see who Cards fans would want to be their next QB; the latest results are as follows:

Keven Kolb: 11 votes 41%
Marc Bulger: 6 votes 22%
Kyle Orton: 5 votes 19%
Matt Hasselback: 3 votes 11%
Other: 2 votes: 7%

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
05-07-2011, 11:39 PM
That's it AW4M, its go time.

BTW, you think you'll be going to a game next season?

Dude I really hope so...I'm just not holding my breath because I just started a new business. I think something miraculous would have to happen for that work, but I'm still hopin' against hope brother!

Shananahan
05-08-2011, 12:47 AM
What's AJ Feeley up to these days?

LTC Pain
05-08-2011, 09:15 AM

The Cardinals can have Orton for there first round draft pick last year - Dan William, DT.

Lonestar
05-08-2011, 12:06 PM
The Cardinals can have Orton for there first round draft pick last year - Dan William, DT.

Works for me. :salute:

Sinthor
05-08-2011, 01:48 PM
Phoenix’s CBS affiliate is taking a poll to see who Cards fans would want to be their next QB; the latest results are as follows:

Keven Kolb: 11 votes 41%
Marc Bulger: 6 votes 22%
Kyle Orton: 5 votes 19%
Matt Hasselback: 3 votes 11%
Other: 2 votes: 7%

Well, I live in Phoenix, and I've got to tell you, most actual Cardinals fans are very new to the sport. The rest are fans of other teams (like me) that also root for the Cardinals when the Cards aren't playing their favorite team.

I can't believe how hyped Keven Kolb is being. Too bad for him he's not about to be drafted because he'd be #1 overall! I don't think Kolb is going to turn out to be the superstar some folk think. He didn't look great in the games he played last year. Bulger is a guy who could come in to AZ and maybe pull a Kurt Warner. He's pretty darn good. Orton would do ok for the Cards as well. But Matt Hasselback as the last guy? People are crazy. Hasselback may only have a year or two left, but he's still very good. Didn't get much coverage up there in Washington, but he's a good QB.

Myself, I'd rather the Cards get Bulger or Orton (if one of their current young guys can develop) or else draft another QB next year. Frankly though, i'd be surprised if McNabb doesn't end up finishing his career in AZ. He already lives here during the offseason.

HammeredOut
05-08-2011, 02:37 PM
I think the Broncos should trade Orton to AZ. He would likely look pretty good in a bad division, although he did chuck big games of 476y, 347y, 341y, 370y, 314y, 307y, 296y, 295y and made Brandon Llyod look like an All Pro in Denver.

John Elway only had 3 seasons with more yards in his entire career then Orton did in 13 games last season. Had Orton played the last 3 games, he would have been close to 4500 yards.

The problem with this team is the Run game lacks a home run hitter, and somebody who is going to get chunks of yards 10 and 20. Knowshon Moreno lacks burst, and big play ability. He is really just a 3rd down change of pace back in a starting role.

So if AZ wants Orton I would start off with the Names Beenie Wells or Tim Hightower.

Poet
05-08-2011, 06:56 PM

I was referring to Kolb...

TXBRONC
05-08-2011, 07:25 PM
I think the Broncos should trade Orton to AZ. He would likely look pretty good in a bad division, although he did chuck big games of 476y, 347y, 341y, 370y, 314y, 307y, 296y, 295y and made Brandon Llyod look like an All Pro in Denver.

John Elway only had 3 seasons with more yards in his entire career then Orton did in 13 games last season. Had Orton played the last 3 games, he would have been close to 4500 yards.

The problem with this team is the Run game lacks a home run hitter, and somebody who is going to get chunks of yards 10 and 20. Knowshon Moreno lacks burst, and big play ability. He is really just a 3rd down change of pace back in a starting role.

So if AZ wants Orton I would start off with the Names Beenie Wells or Tim Hightower.

Orton was throwing for a lot yards but for as many yards as he was putting up he wasn't producing touchdowns.

I personally would say no to Wells or Hightower. Wells hasn't been able to stay healthy and is exactly what you're calling Moreno imho.

At this point the Cardinals interest in Orton is secondary to their interest in Kolb according to what has been said so far.

FanInAZ
05-09-2011, 12:44 AM
Well, I live in Phoenix, and I've got to tell you, most actual Cardinals fans are very new to the sport. The rest are fans of other teams (like me) that also root for the Cardinals when the Cards aren't playing their favorite team.

I can't believe how hyped Keven Kolb is being. Too bad for him he's not about to be drafted because he'd be #1 overall! I don't think Kolb is going to turn out to be the superstar some folk think. He didn't look great in the games he played last year. Bulger is a guy who could come in to AZ and maybe pull a Kurt Warner. He's pretty darn good. Orton would do ok for the Cards as well. But Matt Hasselback as the last guy? People are crazy. Hasselback may only have a year or two left, but he's still very good. Didn't get much coverage up there in Washington, but he's a good QB.

Myself, I'd rather the Cards get Bulger or Orton (if one of their current young guys can develop) or else draft another QB next year. Frankly though, i'd be surprised if McNabb doesn't end up finishing his career in AZ. He already lives here during the offseason.

Hasselback was good when Mike Holmgren was his HC & Shaun Alexander was healthy enough to pound the rock every week. Since then, he & the Seahawks have done nothing. Granted, football is a team sport. However, Orton has done more with a comparable supporting cast.

I can see Hasselback and Bulger being offered a juournymen back up possition, but I don't expect them to be competing for a starting job. Kolb will definantly be given a chance to compete for a starting job. Orton might also be looking for a team that will let him compete to be a starter, but he may have to settle for the two spot. As far as McNabb, let's just say it's not a good sign that I've heard more talk about JaMarcus Russell this offseason then about him. As bad as what is being said about JR is, at least someone finds him being worth talking about.

Ravage!!!
05-09-2011, 12:54 AM
McNabb will be in Minnesota this coming year as their starter. NO ONE thinks Russell is a better QB'ing candidate than McNabb. The only reason he isn't being talked about in AZ is because AZ doesn't have the team for a guy like McNabb. They don't have enough there for him to want to go there at the end of his career. Minnesota is perfect for him. They are ready to win NOW, with talent at RB, WR, OL and defense... and just need a Vet QB to help tutor their young rookie. No expectations of McNabb being a long-term solution, or coming in to a team that isn't already playoff caliber.

FanInAZ
05-09-2011, 01:36 AM
McNabb will be in Minnesota this coming year as their starter. NO ONE thinks Russell is a better QB'ing candidate than McNabb. The only reason he isn't being talked about in AZ is because AZ doesn't have the team for a guy like McNabb. They don't have enough there for him to want to go there at the end of his career. Minnesota is perfect for him. They are ready to win NOW, with talent at RB, WR, OL and defense... and just need a Vet QB to help tutor their young rookie. No expectations of McNabb being a long-term solution, or coming in to a team that isn't already playoff caliber.

I didn't mean to come across that JR is better than McNabb. After all, everything that has been said about JR this offseason has only solidified his place as one of the two biggest draft busts in NFL history (I just have a hard time dismissing Ryan Leaf for that recognition). I was just making a point that there has been so little talk about McNabb that it makes me wonder if he's done as an NFL QB.

BroncoStud
05-09-2011, 06:53 AM
It blows my mind that the Cardinals saw first hand last year how bad Orton can be, and he was NOT listed on the injury report the week of their game, and they would STILL want him.

He was severely outplayed by Skelton and then Tebow in the subsequent weeks, both rookie long-term projects.

If the Cardinals are dumb enough to actually TRADE for this guy and give us players or picks we had better jump all over it.

TXBRONC
05-09-2011, 08:00 AM
It blows my mind that the Cardinals saw first hand last year how bad Orton can be, and he was NOT listed on the injury report the week of their game, and they would STILL want him.

He was severely outplayed by Skelton and then Tebow in the subsequent weeks, both rookie long-term projects.

If the Cardinals are dumb enough to actually TRADE for this guy and give us players or picks we had better jump all over it.

First of all Stud the Cardinals interest in Orton is as "Plan B" according the report. They are more interested in pursuing Kolb and if they can't get him Orton at this point seems like a good back up plan to them. Why be critical of the Cardinals for being interested. If they can't Kolb and Orton and they see Orton as there next best option that gives the Broncos some leverage.

Second I don't see why it would be so confusing to you that they would be interested him even though the Cardinals. Orton put some decent passing yard, as I've always Orton touchdown production wasn't in line with amount of yards but nevertheless he was having good year. I wouldn't say Skelton out played him. The Cardinals won in spite of Skelton not because of him. Both quarterbacks were bad, it's just Orton was worse.

I don't buy into the excuse about a rib injury. So what if he had hurt ribs. If that was that bad then he should never had his ass out on the field. There have been lots of excuses used to justify Orton poor performance. This is the NFL you have deal with adversity. It's rare to get ideal conditions so either overcome the adversity or suffer the consequences. Orton's history is that he struggles to play well or win games under adverse conditions.

BroncoStud
05-09-2011, 08:37 AM
First of all Stud the Cardinals interest in Orton is as "Plan B" according the report. They are more interested in pursuing Kolb and if they can't get him Orton at this point seems like a good back up plan to them. Why be critical of the Cardinals for being interested. If they can't Kolb and Orton and they see Orton as there next best option that gives the Broncos some leverage.

Second I don't see why it would be so confusing to you that they would be interested him even though the Cardinals. Orton put some decent passing yard, as I've always Orton touchdown production wasn't in line with amount of yards but nevertheless he was having good year. I wouldn't say Skelton out played him. The Cardinals won in spite of Skelton not because of him. Both quarterbacks were bad, it's just Orton was worse.

I don't buy into the excuse about a rib injury. So what if he had hurt ribs. If that was that bad then he should never had his ass out on the field. There have been lots of excuses used to justify Orton poor performance. This is the NFL you have deal with adversity. It's rare to get ideal conditions so either overcome the adversity or suffer the consequences. Orton's history is that he struggles to play well or win games under adverse conditions.

Yep, Orton has more excuses than Lindsay Lohan to justify his bad play. If you aren't on the injury report I am going to assume you are just banged up as any other NFL player is late in the season. They all go through it and Orton himself said he was fine after the Arizona game.

"Orton refused to blame his poor play this month on all the bumps and bruises, and Studesville said that while everybody is banged up this time of the year, he didn't believe his quarterback was hurt."

TXBRONC
05-09-2011, 09:27 AM
Yep, Orton has more excuses than Lindsay Lohan to justify his bad play. If you aren't on the injury report I am going to assume you are just banged up as any other NFL player is late in the season. They all go through it and Orton himself said he was fine after the Arizona game.

"Orton refused to blame his poor play this month on all the bumps and bruises, and Studesville said that while everybody is banged up this time of the year, he didn't believe his quarterback was hurt."

Where is that quote from?

Shananahan
05-09-2011, 11:12 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5923215

Just copy and paste it into google.

rcsodak
05-09-2011, 11:38 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5923215

Just copy and paste it into google.

Good find. I see Bs only used the one paragraph, since it equals his opinion.

HammeredOut
05-09-2011, 04:46 PM
Orton was throwing for a lot yards but for as many yards as he was putting up he wasn't producing touchdowns.

I personally would say no to Wells or Hightower. Wells hasn't been able to stay healthy and is exactly what you're calling Moreno imho.

At this point the Cardinals interest in Orton is secondary to their interest in Kolb according to what has been said so far.

My point being furthered, yes Orton didn't have the kind of TD's in the Air that you would like at 20, but his Ratio was 2:1 touchdowns vs. Interceptions. K M is to slow for the NFL period.

Heck John Elway was making pro bowls with Seasons of 20 touchdowns and 23 interceptions, doing it with 2000 yard backs, and HOF recievers. Orton never had any of that, and posted better numbers.

The problem isn't Kyle Orton, its the run game and its inability to produce. This team needs a starting RB, and a pair of DT's, and I would say they have the division locked.

If this team rolls with Tim Tebow as the starter, I'd suggest scouting Andrew Luck first overall in next years draft, because that player will never be a good player. When a QB like Tebow runs first and thinks about a pass 2nd, I'd be worried. This ain't college, and he ain't mike Vick.

underrated29
05-09-2011, 05:45 PM
If this team rolls with Tim Tebow as the starter, I'd suggest scouting Andrew Luck first overall in next years draft, because that player will never be a good player. When a QB like Tebow runs first and thinks about a pass 2nd, I'd be worried. This ain't college, and he ain't mike Vick.

Again, another very ignorant statement from you. Where do you come up with this stuff? do you watch every broncos game or just listen to NFL draft guys like mel Kiper?

Seriously, hammerhead----that name is so fitting.

Dzone
05-09-2011, 06:06 PM
Looks like we have a new member who is here to defend Orton at all costs and without logic...LOL...scratching my head wondering how anyone could actually like Pyle Orton...to each his own, as they say. In any case, Its very strange.

TXBRONC
05-09-2011, 06:07 PM
My point being furthered, yes Orton didn't have the kind of TD's in the Air that you would like at 20, but his Ratio was 2:1 touchdowns vs. Interceptions. K M is to slow for the NFL period.

Heck John Elway was making pro bowls with Seasons of 20 touchdowns and 23 interceptions, doing it with 2000 yard backs, and HOF recievers. Orton never had any of that, and posted better numbers.

The problem isn't Kyle Orton, its the run game and its inability to produce. This team needs a starting RB, and a pair of DT's, and I would say they have the division locked.

Ah no Elway wasn't making pro bowls throwing more picks than touchdowns. If you want to make a case for Orton but at the very least be accurate about what you're saying. Elway was leading the Broncos to Super Bowls with a lack of talent on the team top to bottom. In fact his running game for most of his career was in worse shape than what Orton had and didn't have hall of fame receiver until the end of his career.

If the Broncos were sold on Orton the job would be his no questioned asked. If they saw things the way you do they wouldn't let Tebow compete for the job. I'm pretty sure they have much clear and idea what they have in both quarterbacks than we do.

Whoever said this was college? I am thankful for the fact Tebow is nothing like Vick. He may or may not develop into a starting quarterback but I know it would be for a lack of effort.

topscribe
05-09-2011, 06:07 PM
Looks like we have a new member who is here to defend Orton at all costs and without logic...LOL...scratching my head wondering how anyone could actually like Pyle Orton...to each his own, as they say. In any case, Its very strange.

That's just awful news to you, isn't it? :rolleyes:

And here you thought this board was being purged of such lowlifes.

-----

topscribe
05-09-2011, 06:12 PM
Elway was leading the Broncos to Super Bowls with a lack of talent on the team top to bottom. In fact his running game for most of his career was in worse shape than what Orton had and didn't have hall of fame receiver until the end of his career.

http://www.broncosforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1259876&postcount=155

-----

TXBRONC
05-09-2011, 10:20 PM
http://www.broncosforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1259876&postcount=155

-----

As I said Elway won with less. Imo your link has no relevance.

BroncoStud
05-10-2011, 12:14 AM

W T F are you talking about dude? :elefant:

topscribe
05-10-2011, 10:04 AM
As I said Elway won with less. Imo your link has no relevance.

That was not my point.

It is true Elway is capable of winning more with less. But how many QBs should
be compared to him?

You claimed that Elway "was leading the Broncos to Super Bowls with a lack of
talent on the team top to bottom." The FACTS show the contrary.

ANY QB is dependent on his supporting cast for success. ANY QB.

-----

BroncoStud
05-10-2011, 10:08 AM
Fine. You seem to be telling me, then, that your opinion is all that matters to you.

All that matters to me are the facts. That is what I presented: the facts.

-----

TOP, all things even, you REALLY believe that Orton can carry a bad team like Elway? Really??? :confused:

topscribe
05-10-2011, 10:12 AM
TOP, all things even, you REALLY believe that Orton can carry a bad team like Elway? Really??? :confused:

Really? Is that what you think I said? Really???

It is appropriate you used the "confused" icon there . . .

-----

HammeredOut
05-10-2011, 10:28 AM

One thing is for sure, Elway could make probowls with more interceptions then Touchdowns.

I don't think that will ever happen again.

TXBRONC
05-10-2011, 10:41 AM
That was not my point.

It is true Elway is capable of winning more with less. But how many QBs should
be compared to him?

You claimed that Elway "was leading the Broncos to Super Bowls with a lack of
talent on the team top to bottom." The FACTS show the contrary.

ANY QB is dependent on his supporting cast for success. ANY QB.

-----

I know what your point was.

Btw I don't call throw out a few numbers here as presenting FACTS. Those numbers don't crap as type talent that around but three horrible Super Bowl defeats do.

Broncospsycho77
05-10-2011, 11:11 AM
Can I just root for having a team that's stacked at every position? This argument is worthless. We just need to win period. Arguments on whether we win with or without an offensive supporting cast are awful points on either side, and entirely irrelevant, especially considering the winning percentage we currently have.

Let's not win in extraordinary ways. Let's just win. The easy way to do that is to get better at all positions. It's about 95% better than banking on Tebow or Orton to be our savior.

topscribe
05-10-2011, 11:13 AM
I know what your point was.

Btw I don't call throw out a few numbers here as presenting FACTS. Those numbers don't crap as type talent that around but three horrible Super Bowl defeats do.

I agree that the Super Bowl defeats reflected a difference in talent between
the two teams involved in each one (except for the Washington game, which
I believe just simply got out of hand). But the talent on those teams got them
to the Super Bowl in the first place.

And the point to the presentation is that when the running game and/or the
defense was down, so was the W-L record of the team. When they were up,
so was the W-L record of the team.

It's a very simple point. Shouldn't be all that hard to understand.

Anyway, I'm outta here . . .

-----

TXBRONC
05-10-2011, 11:37 AM
Can I just root for having a team that's stacked at every position? This argument is worthless. We just need to win period. Arguments on whether we win with or without an offensive supporting cast are awful points on either side, and entirely irrelevant, especially considering the winning percentage we currently have.

Let's not win in extraordinary ways. Let's just win. The easy way to do that is to get better at all positions. It's about 95% better than banking on Tebow or Orton to be our savior.

You have my permission to root for havinga team stacked with talent. :D

TXBRONC
05-10-2011, 11:42 AM
I understand. It takes an education in statistics really to understand them.

Anyway, I'm outta here . . .

-----

Making a insulting remark towards me and then taking flight is poor form to say the least. :tsk:

I'vd disagreed with you but haven't sunk to name calling. :welcome:

topscribe
05-10-2011, 11:47 AM
Making a insulting remark towards me and then taking flight is poor form to say the least. :tsk:

I'vd disagreed with you but haven't sunk to name calling. :welcome:

I did not call you any names. And if you don't understand statistics, that is not
an insult. I don't have an education in brain surgery. I don't consider that an
insult. But your saying that I just threw out a few numbers indicated to me that
you did not understand it -- and what I "threw out" were statistics.

But I did edit my post. You might take a look . . .

-----

BroncoStud
05-10-2011, 01:21 PM
One thing is for sure, Elway could make probowls with more interceptions then Touchdowns.

I don't think that will ever happen again.

You may be right about that. Today it's all about those pesky stats, back then it was about making plays.

KCL
05-10-2011, 01:22 PM
Wish the Chiefs could land Orton as a back up....and get rid of Brody...:rolleyes:

BroncoStud
05-10-2011, 01:25 PM
I did not call you any names. And if you don't understand statistics, that is not
an insult. I don't have an education in brain surgery. I don't consider that an
insult. But your saying that I just threw out a few numbers indicated to me that
you did not understand it -- and what I "threw out" were statistics.

But I did edit my post. You might take a look . . .

-----

Why don't you compare Elway's playbook to Orton's then make the comparison. Did John even have an outlet receiver most of the time? Did Dan Reeves even know that throwing on 1st down was legal in the NFL?

As soon as Elway got Shanahan's offense in the 90's his numbers shot up, and he was older by then. If Elway had the fortune of running a spread offense his numbers would have blown Orton's out of the water, and he did so much more with equal or less talent around him.

Denver struggles to win 5 games in the 1980's with Orton at QB, with Elway they made 3 Super Bowls.

BroncoStud
05-10-2011, 01:25 PM
Wish the Chiefs could land Orton as a back up....and get rid of Brody...:rolleyes:

So do I.

KCL
05-10-2011, 01:28 PM
So do I.

:lol:

Thank You!

Seriously I would like to see him come to KC...Not going to happen...but maybe there's still hope KC will release BC when they can.

BroncoStud
05-10-2011, 01:32 PM

Thank You!

Seriously I would like to see him come to KC...Not going to happen...but maybe there's still hope KC will release BC when they can.

ughh... You have to think Croyle is a goner, he was horrible last year, so bad they had to get Palko (I throw like a chick) in there to save face. If Cassel goes down the Chiefs are in a LOT of trouble Orton would certainly be a good backup but it's clear that Kyle believes he is a starter, for some reason.

Croyle does suck though. Too bad, seems like a nice dude.

rcsodak
05-10-2011, 01:35 PM
Why don't you compare Elway's playbook to Orton's then make the comparison. Did John even have an outlet receiver most of the time? Did Dan Reeves even know that throwing on 1st down was legal in the NFL?

As soon as Elway got Shanahan's offense in the 90's his numbers shot up, and he was older by then. If Elway had the fortune of running a spread offense his numbers would have blown Orton's out of the water, and he did so much more with equal or less talent around him.

Denver struggles to win 5 games in the 1980's with Orton at QB, with Elway they made 3 Super Bowls.
Why do you insist on your HOF banter? I've yet to see ANYBODY proclaim KO to be of that level. :rolleyes:

rcsodak
05-10-2011, 01:36 PM

Thank You!

Your Iowa qb is his replacement.

BroncoStud
05-10-2011, 01:37 PM
Why do you insist on your HOF banter? I've yet to see ANYBODY proclaim KO to be of that level. :rolleyes:

I believe TOP was trying to convince us, with stats, that Orton did more with less than Elway did. I'm trying to tell him that it's apples and oranges, and he is wrong on this one. Very few in NFL history did more with less than Elway in the early days.

KCL
05-10-2011, 01:37 PM
Your Iowa qb is his replacement.

Well I hope so cause he definitely isn't NFL worthy...Croyle that is.

topscribe
05-10-2011, 01:39 PM
I believe TOP was trying to convince us, with stats, that Orton did more with less than Elway did. I'm trying to tell him that it's apples and oranges, and he is wrong on this one. Very few in NFL history did more with less than Elway in the early days.

Is that what I was trying to do?

That's the second time in the same thread you have absolutely misunderstood my points.

Honestly, I believe you need to take a course in reading comprehension. :tsk:

-----

rcsodak
05-10-2011, 01:49 PM
Well I hope so cause he definitely isn't NFL worthy...Croyle that is.
His BFF is the HC.

BroncoStud
05-10-2011, 02:08 PM
Is that what I was trying to do?

That's the second time in the same thread you have absolutely misunderstood my points.

Honestly, I believe you need to take a course in reading comprehension. :tsk:

-----

Well, you can never stop learning - so I hear...

KCL
05-10-2011, 02:29 PM
His BFF is the HC.

Well as long as Pioli isn't.

TXBRONC
05-10-2011, 02:47 PM
You may be right about that. Today it's all about those pesky stats, back then it was about making plays.

Elway NEVER made the pro bowl having thrown more interceptions than touchdowns.

BroncoStud
05-10-2011, 02:58 PM
Elway NEVER made the pro bowl having thrown more interceptions than touchdowns.

When did I say he had? My point was that before the NFL became stat-driven for QBs many players had great careers, even HoF careers who had very underwhelming stats.

TXBRONC
05-10-2011, 03:15 PM
When did I say he had? My point was that before the NFL became stat-driven for QBs many players had great careers, even HoF careers who had very underwhelming stats.

No, no, no. I really wasn't saying it for your benefit. ;)