PDA

View Full Version : Boss Done for the season

Traveler
10-21-2008, 10:17 PM
Champ out a month or more...

Broncos coach Mike Shanahan said he hoped a bye week would be enough for the team to heal up some in the wake of Monday night's 41-7 loss in New England, but Tuesday the Broncos got the kind of injury news they were hoping to avoid.

Linebacker Boss Bailey, who had already dealt with the effects of a severely sprained ankle since training camp, is expected to miss the remainder of the year with a knee injury.

Tests revealed enough damage where Bailey may require microfracture surgery in the coming days.

Champ Bailey, who suffered a groin injury in the first half of Monday's game, went for a magnetic resonance imaging exam Tuesday and is expected to miss at least a month and possibly longer.

Boss Bailey will likely be moved to injured reserve in the coming days and the Broncos may be on the hunt for another linebacker. However, they did break training camp with one more linebacker than they have kept in the past – seven compared to six in previous seasons because they wanted to keep rookie Wesley Woodyard

Rookie Jack Williams, who played in place of Champ Bailey Monday night, is expected to move into the left cornerback position after the team's bye week.

The Broncos next game is Nov. 2 against Miami in Invesco Field at Mile High.

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/news/2008/oct/21/bailey-blues-boss-done-season-champ-least-month/

SR
10-21-2008, 10:21 PM
I was worried that this would be the news that broke today. Time for Jack Williams to start. Supposedly he is the second coming of Derrant (sp?) Williams. I guess we'll see in two weeks huh?

BroncoJoe
10-21-2008, 10:22 PM
Lovely.

slim
10-21-2008, 10:23 PM
Son of .......

Traveler
10-21-2008, 10:25 PM
Ray Maluaga, come on down! You're the 1st round draft choice of the Denver Broncos.

scott.475
10-21-2008, 10:25 PM
S

c

r

e

w

e

d

G_Money
10-21-2008, 10:28 PM
Well, now we can get Woodyard on the field.

Assuming we don't play Moss as a LB now, or maybe Paymah.

I mean, why play people at their actual positions? That's silly.

~G

ikillz0mbies
10-21-2008, 10:29 PM
Oh wow....Bly can't tackle and Bailey is out? Plus Paymah is still there. It's JMFW or bust.

ikillz0mbies
10-21-2008, 10:30 PM
And this should set us up for James Laurinatis in the draft! Oh yeah!

frauschieze
10-21-2008, 10:31 PM
Oh wow....Bly can't tackle and Bailey is out? Plus Paymah is still there. It's JMFW or bust.

It's kinda looking like bust. :tsk:

G_Money
10-21-2008, 10:32 PM
What I want the lineup to be:

Woodyard at Will
Larsen or Kou at Mike
DJ at Sam (yes I know it's not his best position, but he'll be better there than Woodyard who has never played it)
4th LB can be fought out to the death by Webster and Winborn - and then we kill the winner and it's actually whoever's left of Kou and Larsen.

Speed and tenacity outside, thumpers and ST warriors inside. We could do worse.

What it will be:

DJ at Will
Webster at Mike
Winborn at Sam (Winborn and Woodyard are the same size, btw, ie, undersized to take on the TE side of the line all the time)
Moss as the 4th LB.

Whee...

~G

Lonestar
10-21-2008, 10:36 PM
just when it could not get worse..

Thought it was just strained..

Now why micro fracture surgery?

I've never heard of this kind of surgery unless there is no cartilage in the knee and if there is not, who missed it during his welcome to DEN physical?

Sounds to me like we bought a pig in the poke..........

honz
10-21-2008, 10:37 PM
Well, those who wanted a youth movement will get their wish!:(

:faint:

honz
10-21-2008, 10:40 PM
just when it could not get worse..

Thought it was just strained..

Now why micro fracture surgery?

I've never heard of this kind of surgery unless there is no cartilage in the knee and if there is not, who missed it during his welcome to DEN physical?

Sounds to me like we bought a pig in the poke..........

Microfracture isn't something you can predict...it's as much of a fluke as a torn ACL is. Plenty of young, healthy guys have had to have microfracture out of the blue...especially in basketball.

G_Money
10-21-2008, 10:44 PM
Well we knew he could get injured sneezing. It's in his makeup.

Microfracture would be a bummer though. For him, I mean. For us it doesn't hurt that bad. I don't think he's that good a LB, tho better than most of our Sam options.

But it opens up a spot for flexibility in the draft or with our scheme. If Moss HAS to play LB to be any good, maybe he can with us now. If we need to shuffle some guys we can. We aren't locked into Boss - can't be, cuz if he gets microfracture it's gonna be a couple of years before he's back to "normal" and normal for Boss still means "injury prone."

We'll see. Lots of decisions to be made the rest of the way to try to line up some things for future years and real title runs.

~G

Lonestar
10-21-2008, 10:45 PM
Micro fracture isn't something you can predict...it's as much of a fluke as a torn ACL is. Plenty of young, healthy guys have had to have micro fracture out of the blue...especially in basketball.

correct me if I'm wrong the only time this is done is wen the cartilage is gone/damaged and has to be removed..

and if that is the case why are we just hearing about it in game 7.25

There is a huge leap between a trained knee and micro fracture..

G_Money
10-21-2008, 10:49 PM
Boss had a couple of knee surgeries in college, and then one his first or second year in the league. I remember them saying his knee was pretty bad then. A few years of playing on it only makes it worse.

Just makes me mad that we paid him a lot of money with his degenerative knee but wouldn't get Vilma, who would have been perfect for our MLB problem because he had a knee issue.

Grr.

~G

honz
10-21-2008, 10:51 PM
correct me if I'm wrong the only time this is done is wen the cartilage is gone/damaged and has to be removed..

and if that is the case why are we just hearing about it in game 7.25

There is a huge leap between a trained knee and micro fracture..

Microfracture is generally performed in order to repair cartilage damage. They basically poke little holes in the cartilage and bone which promotes cartilage growth. It just isn't something that can be predicted though.

Lonestar
10-21-2008, 10:53 PM
Microfracture is generally performed in order to repair cartilage damage.

I think it is to replace it not repair it .. But I could be wrong..

honz
10-21-2008, 10:59 PM
I think it is to replace it not repair it .. But I could be wrong..

No, it is to repair it. Trust me. Athletes generally need microfracture done because they have little tears in their knee cartilage that aren't able to heal properly...so they poke holes in the area which for some reason causes new cartilage to grow and repair the area.

AgentOrange
10-21-2008, 11:13 PM
Microfracture surgery (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microfracture_surgery) (Wikipedia)

MasterShake
10-21-2008, 11:17 PM
This may be a good thing for a young team. You think getting blown out on National TV is adversity? Try losing your best CB and one of the better tacklers in Boss. How they respond to this can make or break this team this season, as well over the next few years as far as the D is concerned. The new chemistry could be a good thing because the only chemistry we have right now is making a big stink bomb.

Lonestar
10-21-2008, 11:28 PM
No, it is to repair it. Trust me. Athletes generally need microfracture done because they have little tears in their knee cartilage that aren't able to heal properly...so they poke holes in the area which for some reason causes new cartilage to grow and repair the area.

well everything I have read says it is for replacement..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microfracture_surgery

Microfracture Reports
Studies have shown that microfracture techniques don't fill in the chondral defect fully and the repair material they form is fibrocartilage. Fibrocartilage is not as good mechanically as the original hyaline cartilage; it is much denser and isn't able to withstand the demands of everyday activities as well as hyaline cartilage and is therefore at higher risk of breaking down.[9] The blood clot is very delicate after surgery and needs to be protected. In terms of time, the clot takes about 8 weeks to convert to fibrous tissue and is usually fibrocartilage by about four months post surgery (this has implications for the rehabilitation).[10]

In February 2008, Saris & al published a large scaled study that showed that Characterized Chrondocyte Implantation (CCI) results in better structural repair for symptomatic cartilage defects of the knee than microfracture surgery. One year after treatment, the tissue regenerate associated to CCI is of better quality than that of microfracture.[11] Chrondrocyte Implantation procedures are cell based articular cartilage repair procedures that aim to provide complete hyaline repair tissues for articular cartilage repair.

[edit] Use in professional sports
There have been many notable professional athletes who have undergone the procedure. Partially because of the high level of stress placed on the knees by these athletes, the surgery is not a panacea and results have been mixed. Many players' careers effectively end despite the surgery. However, some players such as Jason Kidd, Steve Yzerman, John Stockton and Zach Randolph [2] have been able to return at or near their pre-surgery form while players Brian Grant, Antonio McDyess, Chris Webber, Allan Houston and Penny Hardaway never regained their old form. Others such as Jamal Mashburn and Terrell Brandon never recovered and retired. Portland Trail Blazers rookie Greg Oden underwent the procedure in early September 2007 and missed the entire 2007-2008 NBA season. At only 19 at the time of the surgery, doctors are confident that he will return to at or near full strength by the 2008-2009 season. [12]

In October 2005, young star Amare Stoudemire of the NBA's Phoenix Suns underwent one of the highest-profile microfracture surgeries to date. He returned to the court in March 2006 and initially appeared to have made a full recovery, but subsequently started feeling stiffness in both knees (his right knee had been overcompensating for the injured left knee). He and the team doctor decided he needed more time to rehab and he did not return until the 2006-2007 NBA season.[13] During the 2006-2007 season, Stoudemire returned to form, averaging 20.4 points and 9.6 rebounds per game while playing in all 82 regular-season games and the 2007 NBA All-Star Game. His recent success has brought positive publicity to the procedure, further distancing it from a previous reputation as a possible "career death sentence" in the sports world, though he was one of the youngest of the aforementioned players to undergo the surgery. [14]

http://orthopedics.about.com/od/hipknee/a/microfracture.htm

Knee Treatments
Microfracture is a surgical option used in the treatment of areas of damaged cartilage. When a patient has a small area of damaged cartilage (not widespread knee arthritis), microfracture may be performed in an attempt to stimulate new cartilage growth.
How does microfracture work?
A microfracture creates small holes in the bone. The surface layer of bone, called the subchondral bone, is hard and lacks good blood flow. By penetrating this hard layer, a microfracture allows the deeper, more vascular bone to access the surface layer. This deeper bone has more blood supply, and the cells can then get to the surface layer and stimulate cartilage growth.

Who is a good candidate for microfracture?

Patients with limited areas of cartilage damage

Patients who are active and cannot participate in their sport or activity because of symptoms

Patients with pain or swelling caused by the damaged area of cartilage

Who is not a good candidate for microfracture?

Patients with widespread arthritis of the joint

Patients who are inactive

Patients unwilling to participate in rehabilitation following microfracture
Does microfracture work well?
Yes, but there is more to it! Microfracture can be an excellent procedure, providing substantial pain relief when done in the right patient.

One of the concerns with microfracture is that it does not stimulate the growth of normal joint cartilage. There are many types of cartilage, and one of these types (hyaline cartilage) is normally found on the joint surface. Microfracture stimulates the growth of a type of cartilage commonly found in scar tissue (fibrocartilage). Unlike hyaline cartilage, fibrocartilage does not have the same strength and resiliency of cartilage normally found in a joint. Therefore, there is a chance that the cartilage stimulated by a microfracture procedure will not stand up over time.

How is a microfracture procedure performed?

Broncos Mtnman
10-21-2008, 11:41 PM
Well, now Slowick will have injuries to blame for the defense performs in the future.

"If we didn't have all those injuries, blah blah blah...... "

Post Script....

Boss has been a regular on IR his entire carreer. It was one of the worst FA signings of the off season. A total waste of salary cap space.

Shanny and Bowlen have no one to blame but themselves for this one.

:coffee:

dogfish
10-21-2008, 11:46 PM
shit, losing champ is a freakin' nightmare. . . . :frusty:

now who's going to tackle?? it's not like our safeties are capable, and the LBs outside of DJ ain't a whole lot better. . .

losing boss is no surprise, though-- getting hurt and missing time has been the guy's M.O. his whole career. . . now maybe the people who were screaming "upgrade" can understand why some of us didn't want to spend money on him. . . IMO, the best path of action at this point is to just release him and negotiate an injury settlement. . . he's not a special player to begin with, and he was never capable of staying healthy before-- is he going to be better in either of these areas on a rebuilt knee? no. . . there's really nothing about him that makes it worth keeping him on the roster and counting against our cap while he goes through a rehab that will most likely keep him out through TC and the preseason next year, if not longer. . . we tried it, it didn't work, time to cut our losses and move on. . . of course, i have no expectation that we'll actually do that. . . we'll probably keep him around, cross our fingers and hope that we can get something out of him-- passing up chances to find other, more reliable options for the position in the meantime. . . :tsk:

SMH

broncogirl7
10-21-2008, 11:53 PM
Boss out for the year...
Champ out for a month or so...
This SUCKS!!!!

Lonestar
10-22-2008, 12:04 AM
shit, losing champ is a freakin' nightmare. . . . :frusty:

now who's going to tackle?? it's not like our safeties are capable, and the LBs outside of DJ ain't a whole lot better. . .

losing boss is no surprise, though-- getting hurt and missing time has been the guy's M.O. his whole career. . . now maybe the people who were screaming "upgrade" can understand why some of us didn't want to spend money on him. . . IMO, the best path of action at this point is to just release him and negotiate an injury settlement. . . he's not a special player to begin with, and he was never capable of staying healthy before-- is he going to be better in either of these areas on a rebuilt knee? no. . . there's really nothing about him that makes it worth keeping him on the roster and counting against our cap while he goes through a rehab that will most likely keep him out through TC and the preseason next year, if not longer. . . we tried it, it didn't work, time to cut our losses and move on. . . of course, i have no expectation that we'll actually do that. . . we'll probably keep him around, cross our fingers and hope that we can get something out of him-- passing up chances to find other, more reliable options for the position in the meantime. . . :tsk:

SMH

next year I see PUP. do they still get paid on that list?

hamrob
10-22-2008, 12:07 AM
Losing Champ for a month is going to hurt the most. Boss was a poor signing and looked like a girl on the field...no offense to girls of course! But, he sucked.

Let's see...our big acquisitions this offseason...that were going to help push us over the top:

1. Boss Bailey
2. kerry Cobert
3. Niko Koutovitas

Wow...that was money well spent.

Italianmobstr7
10-22-2008, 02:03 AM
I can't ******* believe that Champ is out! This news hurts me. I love Champ. He's my favorite player, and our teams best player besides MAYBE Marshall...This sucks.

Magnificent Seven
10-22-2008, 03:33 AM
Oh Man! Horrible week for Broncos and us. I guess Broncos' offense team will have to work harder. I think they should get John Lynch and Hamza Abdullah back.

Magnificent Seven
10-22-2008, 03:39 AM
I trust Jack Williams. He did an amazing job in preseason game against Arizona Cardinals. He is a like Darrent Williams. I believe that Jack Williams will do a great job.

SmilinAssasSin27
10-22-2008, 06:24 AM
I like the news..but I'm a little bit off. Remember when we all said Boss sucked and even Lions fans were glad to see him go? Well...what has he done to change that opinion? Nothing but miss time. At least we can now seriously consider some OLBs in the draft who may have a legit future. Boss's presence on the team was a gift to Champ. Now that Boss's season and maybe more is gone, we are forced to find suitable replacement.

SmilinAssasSin27
10-22-2008, 06:25 AM
Some Outside Linebacker names in the upcoming draft. I like the highlighted ones and they can be had AFTER round 1.

Brian Cushing, USC

Sean Weatherspoon, Missouri, Jr.

Aaron Curry, Wake Forest

Marcus Freeman, Ohio St.

Gerald McRath, Southern Miss

Tyrone McKenzie, South Florida

Rico McCoy, Tennessee, Jr.

Clint Sintim, Virginia

Jonathan Casillas, Wisconsin

Zach Follett, Cal

SmilinAssasSin27
10-22-2008, 06:27 AM
A longer list...

1. Aaron Curry Wake Forest 6-3 247 4.60
2. Brian Cushing USC 6-3 255 4.75
3. Marcus Freeman Ohio St. 6-1 239 4.60
4. Clint Sintim Virginia 6-3 254 4.70
5. Tyrone McKenzie South Florida 6-2 235 4.65
6. Jonathan Casillas Wisconsin 6-2 226 4.50
7. Mortty Ivy West Virginia 6-2 236 4.75
8. Zack Follett California 6-1 238 4.70
9. Brian Toal Boston College 6-0 238 4.65
10. Anthony Heygood Purdue 6-2 230 4.65
11. Anthony Felder California 6-3 241 4.75
12. Lee Robinson Alcorn St. 6-3 243 4.70
13. Ian Campbell Kansas St. 6-5 255 4.85
14. Clay Matthews USC 6-3 240 4.75
15. Chris Evans Auburn 6-0 220 4.65
16. Corey Smith Cincinnati 6-1 225 4.65
17. Kevin Akins Boston College 6-2 224 4.60
18. Johnny Williams Kentucky 6-3 240 4.70
19. Jason Williams Western Illinois 6-3 235 4.60
20. Robert Francois Boston College 6-2 253 4.75
21. Solomon Elimimian Hawaii 6-0 220 4.70
22. Joe Mortensen Kansas 6-1 250 4.90
23. Adam Leonard Hawaii 6-0 235 4.80
24. Adam Gunn Pittsburgh 6-2 230 4.65

gobroncsnv
10-22-2008, 06:56 AM
and yet, our biggest need will still be dline. We've had decent linebackers several times, but have yet to try a decent front FOUR (or even 3)

broncofaninfla
10-22-2008, 07:56 AM
Champ being out 4-6 games hurts us badly but Boss being out will help. Boss is a bust. The talent difference bewteen Boos and Champ makes me think Champ should get a DNA test done to see if he is even related to this srcub. Boss has been one or two steps behind all year long and runs around the field as though he is lost and uninspired. With his history of injuries I hope he has played his last down for the Broncos. Putting Wooodyard in won't make us any worse and puts a young and hungry player on the field. One who I bet wants to plays a hell of a lot more than Boss did.

claymore
10-22-2008, 08:00 AM
Losing Champ doesnt hurt us. All they had to do was run or throw at Bly anyway. Champ being out hurts ST's more than anything IMO.

Fan in Exile
10-22-2008, 08:10 AM
Losing Champ doesnt hurt us. All they had to do was run or throw at Bly anyway. Champ being out hurts ST's more than anything IMO.

Losing Champ hurts us. Now we have two CB who need help and still no safeties who are good in coverage.

claymore
10-22-2008, 08:12 AM
Losing Champ hurts us. Now we have two CB who need help and still no safeties who are good in coverage.

They never threw on him anyway. Teams can score on will anyway, I dont see how it changes things. Teams will continue to score on will. Nothing changed.

Fan in Exile
10-22-2008, 08:15 AM
They never threw on him anyway. Teams can score on will anyway, I dont see how it changes things. Teams will continue to score on will. Nothing changed.

They couldn't score at will on monday night until Champ came out of the game. He totally shut Moss down. That's what we'll be missing from now on. He's also gone on run support as well.

I know everyone's throwing the D under the bus right now but to say that Champ doesn't make a difference is just ignorant.

claymore
10-22-2008, 08:22 AM
They couldn't score at will on monday night until Champ came out of the game. He totally shut Moss down. That's what we'll be missing from now on. He's also gone on run support as well.

I know everyone's throwing the D under the bus right now but to say that Champ doesn't make a difference is just ignorant.

Call it whatever you want... Champ gone does not affect us. He is a great CB, but pretty much any other position besides DJ is weak, and they just need to attack those positions.

Crap, It might even help if the QB has to concentrate on 2 sides of the field vs just one.

ST's, Yeah we will miss him there.

broncophan
10-22-2008, 08:32 AM
to continue the title of this thread............................................ ......................
and sadly.......so are the broncos....

Rex
10-22-2008, 08:36 AM
Call it whatever you want... Champ gone does not affect us. He is a great CB, but pretty much any other position besides DJ is weak, and they just need to attack those positions.

Crap, It might even help if the QB has to concentrate on 2 sides of the field vs just one.

ST's, Yeah we will miss him there.

You are nuts.:shocked:

NameUsedBefore
10-22-2008, 08:40 AM
Hopefully Shanahan never gets wind of Cutler playing safety in HS-football.

claymore
10-22-2008, 08:40 AM
You are nuts.:shocked:

Think about it.... Are we now going to allow 50 points a game? I mean whats the difference?

82% ish of our Defense sucks..... All they had to do is avoid Champ, and they WOULD score. Now, they dont have to avoid Champ, and WILL score.

Champ saved a couple TD's on ST's because he couldnt be avoided. That to me is where he will be missed.

Hopefully they throw away from Bly and we actually have better results.

BigDaddyBronco
10-22-2008, 08:44 AM
Clay's got glitter on the brain. Having Champ out does hurt us. Now the opposing QB has both halves of the field to work. For most of the season they would just pick on Bly, now they will pick on Bly and Paymah.

frauschieze
10-22-2008, 08:45 AM
I think we'll miss Champ the most on run support.

BigDaddyBronco
10-22-2008, 08:49 AM
Think about it.... Are we now going to allow 50 points a game? I mean whats the difference?

82% ish of our Defense sucks..... All they had to do is avoid Champ, and they WOULD score. Now, they dont have to avoid Champ, and WILL score.

Champ saved a couple TD's on ST's because he couldnt be avoided. That to me is where he will be missed.

Hopefully they throw away from Bly and we actually have better results.

Giving up 50 is worse than 35. At least we can score in the high 30's and still win.

Medford Bronco
10-22-2008, 08:49 AM
Boss Bailey has done next do nothing this year so his loss is not that great.

however to lose the best corner in football for a month is going to kill an already pathetic defense.

ouch.

maybe we can try to play some more ball control as opposed to throwing it too much. Kind of like the tampa game or the throws to be shorter?

HolyDiver
10-22-2008, 08:51 AM
Clay's got glitter on the brain. Having Champ out does hurt us. Now the opposing QB has both halves of the field to work. For most of the season they would just pick on Bly, now they will pick on Bly and Paymah.

I think deep dpwn he knows it will hurt us, but he's just fed up with having such a poor Defense, he's probalby thinking, sucking compared to really sucking........not much of a difference.

BigDaddyBronco
10-22-2008, 08:58 AM
I think deep dpwn he knows it will hurt us, but he's just fed up with having such a poor Defense, he's probalby thinking, sucking compared to really sucking........not much of a difference.
Oh, I agree. I know how passionate Clay is. I am in serious pain watching the defense play, I feel like slitting my wrists or gouging out my eyes, but then I take a deep breath and think about Shotgun Willie's.

claymore
10-22-2008, 09:06 AM

Pretty much, but I also know there is only so much time in a game, so a team can only score so much. :laugh:

Fan in Exile
10-22-2008, 09:11 AM
Pretty much, but I also know there is only so much time in a game, so a team can only score so much. :laugh:

Of course if they start scoring on the first play because they're number one WR makes a huge play, then they have more time to score.

claymore
10-22-2008, 09:12 AM
Of course if they start scoring on the first play because they're number one WR makes a huge play, then they have more time to score.
Yeah, but they will have 3rd string in by the second qtr, so it all equalls out.

Ziggy
10-22-2008, 09:44 AM
Boss Bailey has done next do nothing this year so his loss is not that great.
however to lose the best corner in football for a month is going to kill an already pathetic defense.

ouch.

maybe we can try to play some more ball control as opposed to throwing it too much. Kind of like the tampa game or the throws to be shorter?

I disagree Med. Part of the reason you haven't seen Boss's name called more is because he usually has outstanding coverage on the backs and TE's. Anyone remember getting burned by those guys all of last year? It's been different this season. We've just been burned by everyone else.

jrelway
10-22-2008, 09:46 AM
injury prone.

LRtagger
10-22-2008, 10:11 AM
What it will be:

DJ at Will
Webster at Mike
Winborn at Sam (Winborn and Woodyard are the same size, btw, ie, undersized to take on the TE side of the line all the time)
Moss as the 4th LB.

Whee...

~G

As much as I would love for this to happen, unfortunately I dont think it will. Did anybody notice who came in against NE when Boss went out??

Louis Green

For some reason Shanny only likes to start rookie corners, but no other position.

I guess Woodyard may see the field, because Green will probably get hurt int he first quarter.

LRtagger
10-22-2008, 10:12 AM
A longer list...

1. Aaron Curry Wake Forest 6-3 247 4.60
2. Brian Cushing USC 6-3 255 4.75
3. Marcus Freeman Ohio St. 6-1 239 4.60
4. Clint Sintim Virginia 6-3 254 4.70
5. Tyrone McKenzie South Florida 6-2 235 4.65
6. Jonathan Casillas Wisconsin 6-2 226 4.50
7. Mortty Ivy West Virginia 6-2 236 4.75
8. Zack Follett California 6-1 238 4.70
9. Brian Toal Boston College 6-0 238 4.65
10. Anthony Heygood Purdue 6-2 230 4.65
11. Anthony Felder California 6-3 241 4.75
12. Lee Robinson Alcorn St. 6-3 243 4.70
13. Ian Campbell Kansas St. 6-5 255 4.85
14. Clay Matthews USC 6-3 240 4.75
15. Chris Evans Auburn 6-0 220 4.65
16. Corey Smith Cincinnati 6-1 225 4.65
17. Kevin Akins Boston College 6-2 224 4.60
18. Johnny Williams Kentucky 6-3 240 4.70
19. Jason Williams Western Illinois 6-3 235 4.60
20. Robert Francois Boston College 6-2 253 4.75
21. Solomon Elimimian Hawaii 6-0 220 4.70
22. Joe Mortensen Kansas 6-1 250 4.90
23. Adam Leonard Hawaii 6-0 235 4.80
24. Adam Gunn Pittsburgh 6-2 230 4.65

Ya, but how many of those guys can play Fullback??

Shanny wont draft them unless they can play fullback :rolleyes:

OB
10-22-2008, 10:17 AM
Seriously im not even happy its football season anymore - this just sucks

Ziggy
10-22-2008, 10:23 AM
I'm surprised that none of the Engleberger haters in here didn't say anything about him being inactive for the New England game. Then again, we gave up 6.8 yards/run and 257 yards rushing.

Lonestar
10-22-2008, 10:33 AM

Your correct they were passing at will when they did not run whenever they wanted to..

this just opens up Champs side of the field that is all instead playing one side OC can now throw to both sides..

The only thing that changes now is our best tackler will not be on the field..

Italianmobstr7
10-22-2008, 02:46 PM

Really? What team have you been watching this year Clay? Champ has been the only good defender we've had besides DJ. Champ has been a BEAST in run support when he wasn't being thrown at. Also, what happened when Champ left the game against the Pats? Moss scored 2 TDs. Champ was locking him down while he was in the game. Saying that Champ doesn't hurt us is the most ridiculous comment that I've seen on these boards the last few days.

claymore
10-22-2008, 02:53 PM
Really? What team have you been watching this year Clay? Champ has been the only good defender we've had besides DJ. Champ has been a BEAST in run support when he wasn't being thrown at. Also, what happened when Champ left the game against the Pats? Moss scored 2 TDs. Champ was locking him down while he was in the game. Saying that Champ doesn't hurt us is the most ridiculous comment that I've seen on these boards the last few days.

All Im saying is.... If Champ is on the right side of the field, all they had to do was run or pass to the left side of the field.

Say what you guys want, but the scores arent going to be that much worse than they already are. we are going to still be the worst defense in the league.

We are still going to allow 30-40 points a game.

Champ is a stud, DJ is pretty good as well, but no one else can stop anything. And that is the problem.

The 9 other guys take Champ out of the game more than his competance does.

BroncoJoe
10-22-2008, 03:00 PM
All Im saying is.... If Champ is on the right side of the field, all they had to do was run or pass to the left side of the field.

Say what you guys want, but the scores arent going to be that much worse than they already are. we are going to still be the worst defense in the league.

Champ is a stud, DJ is pretty good as well, but no one else can stop anything. And that is the problem.

Since when do you post anything football knowledgeable?

claymore
10-22-2008, 03:07 PM

Never, I need to stay out of here. :D

LRtagger
10-22-2008, 03:34 PM
get back to the lounge, hippy

BCJ
10-22-2008, 03:49 PM
well, china doll bailey is out for the year. That is what you get with Boss. We are royally screwed with Champ out. This is what Merriman is to the chargers. What you saw on monday is what we will see for the next 3 games unless our plan is to bum rush the qb. If that wildcat offense comes out, we need to slam a linebacker on him when he goes wide. Chuck him hard. He is a big guy but they dont want their QB hurt.

hamrob
10-22-2008, 04:01 PM
Losing Champ will hurt. Saying that it won't is crazy. And, yes....teams might score 50+ on us now.

Our offense will be throwing the ball for the rest of the year. Cutler, Marshall, Royal etc. will have big stats. Sacks will start to come in bunches against us....teams will blitz the heck out of us...becasue they know that we have to throw to try and catch up.

Unless a miracle occurs in the form of our young players actually making plays...this season is going to spiral out of control.

Let's hope otherwise.

turftoad
10-22-2008, 04:17 PM

Never, I need to stay out of here. :D

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I was wondering what the hell Clay was trying to prove.

Wait...... I guess he did prove something. :shocked:

turftoad
10-22-2008, 04:22 PM
Well, look at the bright side, now you play every offensive player you have in your Fantasy leagues vs the Broncos "D". :D

NightTrainLayne
10-22-2008, 05:30 PM

I guess I'm an idiot too because I think Clay has a point.

Each team only get's so many possessions in a game and we haven't been forcing many punts this season anyway.

Sure Champ shuts down one side of the field, but he can't single-handedly stop anyone from driving on us.

What we've already seen is about as bad as it can get, we are already in the basement.

Unless they add another 15 minutes to the game, there's just not enough possessions in the game for anyone to score much more on us.

San Diego 38 points Forced only 1 punt

New Orleans 32 points Forced 2 punts (one GL stand)

Kansas City 33 points Forced 3 punts (Against Kansas City!)

Jacksonville 24 points Forced 4 punts (3 in 4th quarter when Jax was just milking the clock though)

New England 41 points Forced 3 punts (only one before Champ got hurt)

Champ is our best defender, and it will hurt to have him out no doubt, but only by degree. Our defense has played so poorly with him in there, that it just can't get much worse.

In the games listed above we've allowed an average score of 33.6 points, with 2.6 punts per game.

If you could give credit to Champ for half of all our forced punts, then that's probably just one scoring drive difference per game.

Obviously we want him in there, and need him, but we've been sooooo bad that it just doesn't have room to get any worse.

jrelway
10-22-2008, 06:12 PM
champs gonna be highly missed when we play the fins. who else to stop the outside runs better than champ. i hope we're not the victims of that wildcat offense in week 9. itll hurt to watch sportscenter cause you know theyll play it over and over and over again.

MOtorboat
10-22-2008, 06:36 PM
I was worried. I asked my boss if he was ok...and he said yes...so I'm good...no extra work for me.

OK...I keed, I keed...

Didn't most people want to see the "young" guys play anyway?

claymore
10-22-2008, 06:58 PM
I guess I'm an idiot too because I think Clay has a point.

Each team only get's so many possessions in a game and we haven't been forcing many punts this season anyway.

Sure Champ shuts down one side of the field, but he can't single-handedly stop anyone from driving on us.

What we've already seen is about as bad as it can get, we are already in the basement.

Unless they add another 15 minutes to the game, there's just not enough possessions in the game for anyone to score much more on us.

San Diego 38 points Forced only 1 punt

New Orleans 32 points Forced 2 punts (one GL stand)

Kansas City 33 points Forced 3 punts (Against Kansas City!)

Jacksonville 24 points Forced 4 punts (3 in 4th quarter when Jax was just milking the clock though)

New England 41 points Forced 3 punts (only one before Champ got hurt)

Champ is our best defender, and it will hurt to have him out no doubt, but only by degree. Our defense has played so poorly with him in there, that it just can't get much worse.

In the games listed above we've allowed an average score of 33.6 points, with 2.6 punts per game.

If you could give credit to Champ for half of all our forced punts, then that's probably just one scoring drive difference per game.

Obviously we want him in there, and need him, but we've been sooooo bad that it just doesn't have room to get any worse.
Thank you!

There are just to many options for the opposing teams offense with or without Champ.

LRtagger
10-23-2008, 08:30 AM
I have hope that while Champ is out that JMFW shines and really outdoes himself. That way when Champ comes back we can move Bly to Nickle or maybe even move him to FS since he plays the ball better than he does the receiver.

NightTrainLayne
10-23-2008, 08:55 AM
That came as a relief to Ramsey, who only took a few snaps before the injury.

"I was trying to throw and it was just all over the place," he said.

Hmmm. . . .How did this lead him to believe that he was injured?