PDA

View Full Version : Memo to Broncos — Team up

TXBRONC
05-05-2011, 07:43 AM
Paige: Memo to Broncos — Team up
By Woody Paige
The Denver Post
Posted: 05/05/2011 01:00:00 AM

If the Broncos, a public disgrace last year, are determined to improve drastically this year, the players must begin practicing now . . . as a team.

The U.S. Court of Appeals may rule today on a possible second lifting of the NFL owners' lockout, temporarily, but isn't expected to side with the union.

So Broncos players have to take control of their circumstances.

http://www.denverpost.com/paige/ci_17995899

Someone needs to step up and get these guys together.

TXBRONC
05-05-2011, 07:46 AM
By Woody Paige
The Denver Post
Posted: 05/05/2011 01:00:00

Kyle Orton has been anointed as the Broncos' starting quarterback, of the moment, by the Two Johns, Elway and Fox. He was one of the team captains in 2010 and is supposed to be the leader of the offense.

But Orton hasn't been heard from publicly for months.

Some on this board may not appreciate the me putting in this excerpt but I think raises a very fair question. Where is team captain Kyle Orton?

nevcraw
05-05-2011, 07:56 AM
sounds like Tebow is doing his part..

chazoe60
05-05-2011, 08:04 AM
Orton just is not any kind of a leader. The penalties and lackluster play of the offense when he is at the helm speaks to his utter lack of leadership skills. When Orton is in the team is like a rudderless ship. He is one of the worst leaders at the that position that the Broncos have ever had.

The lift the team got when Tebow came in was palpable and if you didn't notice it it was only because you didn't want to.

TXBRONC
05-05-2011, 08:17 AM
From the end of the article:

By Woody Paige
The Denver Post
Posted: 05/05/2011 01:00:00

Where is Kyle Orton?

This week he is playing golf at the swanky Bandon Dunes resort on the Oregon shore of the Pacific Ocean.

I think Orton would help himself tremendously if did OPAs with his teammates. If he's half leader I've been told he is then he should be able get his teammates to follow him out onto a practice field.

claymore
05-05-2011, 09:28 AM
Tebow needs to prove himself before he becomes an effective leader. He will look like a doosh if he tries to push himself on Pros before he proves something.

topscribe
05-05-2011, 09:37 AM
About once a year, Woody puts out an article that makes some sense. It must be that time of the year.

It's time to go to work, boys, and start earning some of your millions . . .

-----

BroncoJoe
05-05-2011, 09:47 AM
Tebow needs to prove himself before he becomes an effective leader. He will look like a doosh if he tries to push himself on Pros before he proves something.

Based on interviews and comments read from veterans, I think he's pretty safe in playing the leader role.

TXBRONC
05-05-2011, 10:06 AM
About once a year, Woody puts out an article that makes some sense. It must be that time of the year.

It's time to go to work, boys, and start earning some of your millions . . .

-----

They need someone to step up and be the leader. Atp Orton should be that guy.

Mike
05-05-2011, 10:12 AM
Orton has no place on this team. He's dead weight. Cut ties with him and move into the future.

Guys like Champ, Dawkins, DJ, and Tebow (yes, Tebow) should be organizing stuff like this.

TXBRONC
05-05-2011, 10:20 AM
Orton has no place on this team. He's dead weight. Cut ties with him and move into the future.

Guys like Champ, Dawkins, DJ, and Tebow (yes, Tebow) should be organizing stuff like this.

But pubically Orton was already named the starting quarterback as such he should be out in front organizing his teammates for practice.

nevcraw
05-05-2011, 10:29 AM

I don't think he looks bad by establishing avenues for group participation in workouts but if he demanding or exclusive in any way then he would piss them off.. But from everything we hear about this guy that would seem way out of character.

TXBRONC
05-05-2011, 10:37 AM
I don't think he looks bad by establishing avenues for group participation in workouts but if he demanding or exclusive in any way then he would piss them off.. But from everything we hear about this guy that would seem way out of character.

I don't thinnk Brees and Sanchez demand that their rteammates join them but it sure is hell carries a lot weight when the starting quarterback says lets get together and start preparing for the season. Imo Orton should be the one leading the charge because he is the starting quarterback right now. Instead he's out playing golf at some swanking resort. Maybe when he's done playing done he'll come back and try to organize his teammates. I wont be holding my breath waiting for him to do it.

nevcraw
05-05-2011, 10:42 AM
I don't thinnk Brees and Sanchez demand that their rteammates join them but it sure is hell carries a lot weight when the starting quarterback says lets get together and start preparing for the season. Imo Orton should be the one leading the charge because he is the starting quarterback right now. Instead he's out playing golf at some swanking resort. Maybe when he's done playing done he'll come back and try to organize his teammates. I wont be holding my breath waiting for him to do it.

I am curious to see if Orton comes in ready to fight for his job (this woudfl only make the team better)or if he has quietly already asked his agent to find him a new home..

I would like him to stay as backup, he is the best backup in the nfl fo sho.

TXBRONC
05-05-2011, 10:49 AM
I am curious to see if Orton comes in ready to fight for his job (this woudfl only make the team better)or if he has quietly already asked his agent to find him a new home..

I would like him to stay as backup, he is the best backup in the nfl fo sho.

He said publicly the only way he wants to stay is as the starting quarterback. Elway and Fox both have said publicly it's his job to lose. His actions or in actions speak volumes to Elway and Fox.

arapaho2
05-05-2011, 11:04 AM
Someone needs to step up and get these guys together.

no shit....come on broncos...step up and lead ...gather the team hold practise...work together to better yourselfs from last year

TXBRONC
05-05-2011, 11:21 AM
no shit....come on broncos...step up and lead ...gather the team hold practise...work together to better yourselfs from last year

I may not lead to them having winning record but it can hurt in helping them be more competitive this year.

LTC Pain
05-05-2011, 11:30 AM

Not necessarily Clay. Getting the team together under the current circumstances to prepare for the season provides Tebow a leadership opportunity I think he should jump all over. Tebow has been a positive influence in the Broncos locker room and that will continue. It's just who he is. Should Orton be the sheparding voice to get the team together to workout, yes. But if he prefers to play golf then Tebow needs to step up. I don't think he would look stupid (doosh) in doing so.

TXBRONC
05-05-2011, 02:14 PM
Not necessarily Clay. Getting the team together under the current circumstances to prepare for the season provides Tebow a leadership opportunity I think he should jump all over. Tebow has been a positive influence in the Broncos locker room and that will continue. It's just who he is. Should Orton be the sheparding voice to get the team together to workout, yes. But if he prefers to play golf then Tebow needs to step up. I don't think he would look stupid (doosh) in doing so.

I hope Tebow can get his teammates to follow him. Maybe that would motivate Orton come in as well.

TXBRONC
05-05-2011, 04:05 PM
Paige has updated his story. Apparently Orton is in Denver working out with a few of his teammates.

By Woody Paige
The Denver Post
Posted: 05/05/2011 01:00:00 AM MDT
Updated: 05/05/2011 12:05:23 PM MDT

Kuper and a few other Broncos have been working out at a complex near Dove Valley, and many of the players spread across the country have been doing individual training. However, only Dawkins has attempted to bring together a bunch of players in Denver and apparently is willing to persuade the Broncos to come in for regular workouts.

TXBRONC
05-05-2011, 04:08 PM
Kyle Orton working out with Broncos teammates in Denver
By Lindsay H. Jones
The Denver Post
Posted: 05/05/2011 02:00:40 PM MDT
Updated: 05/05/2011 02:31:40 PM MDT

Incumbent starting quarterback Kyle Orton spent Thursday morning working out with a local personal trainer along with at least four Broncos teammates.

It was Orton's second training session here in Denver this week. Orton, who started 13 games in 2010 before he was injured and then replaced for the final three games by rookie Tim Tebow, has been away from Denver for much of the offseason

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_18001010

At least he's doing something now.

topscribe
05-05-2011, 05:07 PM
Looks like Woody the idiot was being an idiot again . . .

-----

TXBRONC
05-05-2011, 05:15 PM
Not from my perspective. He updated his story so no bfd.

topscribe
05-05-2011, 05:19 PM
Not from my perspective. He updated his story so no bfd.

Today was Orton's second workout of the week. IIRC, Woody said Orton was in
Oregon playing golf. I guess this wasn't the one yearly article in which he makes
sense . . .

-----

topscribe
05-06-2011, 12:13 AM
Just listened to an interview of Eric Decker on "CJ and Klatt" at 102.3 The Ticket (http://www.stationcaster.com/player_skinned.php?s=96&c=743&f=76721),
and Decker said Orton had been working out with about 30 receivers and TEs
and four or five QBs in Scottsdale, Ariz. Seems Woody's a bit out of touch,
doesn't it?

-----------------------

Here's another:

Orton Has Also Been Working Out With Teammates

The media has been praising Denver Broncos second year quarterback Tim Tebow as a great leader for getting together with some teammates to workout, somewhat rightly so. What's not right however is the assumption that Tebow is the only quarterback in Denver that is working hard to win the starting job.

Incumbent starter Kyle Orton is going to be playing golf this weekend, and he doesn't have nearly 160,000 followers on twitter that all saw him tweet other players inquiring about working out together. That however does not take away from his leadership abilities or his work ethic.

Tebow is also going to be playing golf this weekend and Orton actually worked out with center J.D. Walton, guard Zane Beadles and wide receiver Eric Decker today, according to Lindsay Jones of the Denver Post. Make no mistake, Kyle Orton has also been working hard this offseason, not just Tebow.

Among his teammates, Orton is considered a hard working, knowledgeable player and a leader. Now, he doesn't get all rah-rah like Tebow, but that is not necessarily a quality a quarterback has to have (just look at Peyton Manning and the Indianapolis Colts). It certainly doesn't hurt however (see Drew Brees and the New Orleans Saints), and it gets fans excited.

We're not trying to take away from Tebow, his hard work this offseason is to be commended, but he's not the only one that truly wants the starting job. In the end, all that matters is wins. If Tebow outperforms Orton in Training Camp (if there is one) then he'll start in Week One on Monday Night Football against the Oakland Raiders. If the Broncos' brass feels that Orton still gives the team the best chance to win, he'll enter his third consecutive season in Denver as a starter.

http://www.broncoszone.net/

-----

bcbronc
05-06-2011, 01:53 AM
Orton just pwned TX. nice troll attempt though.

claymore
05-06-2011, 01:57 AM
Based on interviews and comments read from veterans, I think he's pretty safe in playing the leader role.

They said the same thing about McDaniels. I would like to see him perform before he does the rah rah stuff.

If he can do both, then he will be great.

claymore
05-06-2011, 02:01 AM

Thats all fine and dandy. But if he fumbles snaps in practice and in games, he will look like a doosh next year when he is calling trying to organize workouts.

I would just like him to prove himself before he asserts himself.

Im open to being wrong. whatever is best for the team I am all for it. I just know if we had a new guy at work trying to organize stuff, I wouldnt take him very seriously.

TXBRONC
05-06-2011, 07:02 AM
Orton just pwned TX. nice troll attempt though.

So you came into this thread just to bait?

Orton didn't own me. I was going by what was reported. Also if had taken the time to read all two pages of the thread it would have been very hard miss that I was that pointed out that Paige updated his article and I also posted Lindsay Jones' article covering the same subject.

If all you want to do is bait we have nothing to discuss.

Agent of Orange
05-06-2011, 08:17 AM
I wonder it there are cliques emerging between the old and young on the team. Champ seems to be in Tebow's camp though.

HORSEPOWER 56
05-06-2011, 11:01 AM
Orton just needs to go. He's not the future, everyone knows it. By keeping him around, we're just delaying the inevitable and keeping the Broncos in the news for bad reasons instead of good ones. Unite the team, unite the fans and lets move forward.

I was looking forward to getting something for Orton in trade, but now I'd just be happy if we cut him and let him go elsewhere. All the guy is these days is a distraction. I can't even get excited about the upcoming season because it always reverts to an Orton vs Tebow discussion. Let's just write off Orton for what he is, a failed McDaniels experiment and placeholder and move on.

I'm so tired of this debate. The day Orton leaves this team for good will be the best in the past 2 years...

SOCALORADO.
05-06-2011, 11:08 AM
Orton just needs to go. He's not the future, everyone knows it. By keeping him around, we're just delaying the inevitable and keeping the Broncos in the news for bad reasons instead of good ones. Unite the team, unite the fans and lets move forward.

I was looking forward to getting something for Orton in trade, but now I'd just be happy if we cut him and let him go elsewhere. All the guy is these days is a distraction. I can't even get excited about the upcoming season because it always reverts to an Orton vs Tebow discussion. Let's just write off Orton for what he is, a failed McDaniels experiment and placeholder and move on.

I'm so tired of this debate. The day Orton leaves this team for good will be the best in the past 2 years...

Latest Cardinals rumor ties team to Kyle Orton
Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on May 6, 2011, 9:52 AM EDT

We’ve heard about Kevin Kolb as a candidate to join the Cardinals enough this week; we were due to hear another name soon.

We know Donovan McNabb isn’t the guy, so how about Kyle Orton? Tim Ring of 3TV in Phoenix reports the Cardinals have made preliminary contact with Denver regarding Orton.

The wording is interesting. When was the preliminary contact made? Ring says the contact wasn’t necessarily “serious” but the Broncos believe Orton could be a fallback option to Kolb for Arizona if the Cardinals are unable to make a deal with the Eagles.

With all due respect to Ring, we’re used to our Cardinals news coming from different sources. And we’d be cautious looking at trade rumors floated during a time in the lockout when there is less news than ever.

Still, Orton has been somewhat forgotten as a candidate for teams that need a quarterback this offseason.

For teams like the Cardinals, Seahawks, and Titans, Orton would qualify as a significant upgrade and might just be the best quarterback available this offseason. Including Kolb.
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/05/06/latest-cardinals-rumor-ties-them-to-kyle-orton/ :shocked:

claymore
05-06-2011, 11:09 AM

I had a dream last night that Orton started the season.

TXBRONC
05-06-2011, 11:34 AM
:shocked:

I wonder if there is any other sports media outlet that can confirm what Tim Ring reported.

I don't agree that Orton is better than Kolb. Kolb imho has a lot more upside.

topscribe
05-06-2011, 11:37 AM

Fox and Elway do not necessarily agree with you, and they have clearly expressed that . . .

-----

TXBRONC
05-06-2011, 11:57 AM

They have had ample opportunity to embrace Orton as long term solution and haven't done so. They say he's the starter right now but he's going to have to compete to keep his job. Elway has numerous times "We're not sure if we have our franchise quarterback on the roster right now." It's not real good thing for Tebow or Orton. However, it's worse for a seven year vet who has four years of starting experience under his belt. They have enough film on him and our o.c. has been with him enought know exactly what they have. McCoy is no idiot he knows quarterbacks.

That said, I don't think just cutting him lose would be a good idea. If EFX is intent on seeing what they really have in Tebow they're going need a veteran quarterback who can help nuture him. I'm not saying Orton's that guy because from I've heard he doesn't seem to have any interest in helping Tebow get better. So what you do is going out and get someone like a Jake Delhomme and then trade Orton.

HORSEPOWER 56
05-06-2011, 09:18 PM
Fox and Elway do not necessarily agree with you, and they have clearly expressed that . . .

-----

And I clearly don't agree with their assessment of Orton, or their lack of addressing our biggest need (DT) in the draft like they should have. But hey, that's what opinions are for.

The only thing that matters is what product gets put on the field on Sunday. If they start Orton, and we don't win games, they'll lose the fanbase regardless of if it's Orton's fault or not. Fair or not, that's just the way it is. The fact of the matter is, Tebow buys them time to rebuild this team because he will be given the benefit of the doubt and treated with kid gloves. He's a second year player who is still learning and will be given leeway by the fanbase. He's also exciting to watch. Orton will not be given leeway. He's a veteran who has not shown he can lead a team. In a perfect system, he can effectively move an offense and protect the ball... when the game is placed in his hands, he fails almost every time.

Orton will be booed and torn to shreds by the fans and media if we don't win. Bronco fans are spoiled and want to watch an exciting, athlete/warrior/poet QB make plays and tear victory from the jaws of defeat - not a guy doing fainting goat impersonations, throwing balls in the dirt and taking sacks on 3rd down, and gimping around on bad ankles while he pads his stats in blowouts (the one where we are throwing 100 times to try to catch up).

bcbronc
05-06-2011, 09:27 PM
So you came into this thread just to bait?

Orton didn't own me. I was going by what was reported. Also if had taken the time to read all two pages of the thread it would have been very hard miss that I was that pointed out that Paige updated his article and I also posted Lindsay Jones' article covering the same subject.

If all you want to do is bait we have nothing to discuss.

Nope, I came into this thread to read why the Broncos needed to team up...but all I found was you taking your usual pot shots at Orton about things that ended up being completely false. I had no intention of partaking in some baiting when I entered this thread...unlike you when you made it.

TXBRONC
05-06-2011, 10:07 PM
Nope, I came into this thread to read why the Broncos needed to team up...but all I found was you taking your usual pot shots at Orton about things that ended up being completely false. I had no intention of partaking in some baiting when I entered this thread...unlike you when you made it.

You don't like my stance fine argue against it but don't make it personal.

I'll say it one more time. I noticed Paige made a change to his article and I'm the one that posted the change. I'm also the one that posted a link to Lindsay Jones' article about Orton working out with four of his teammates. I could have ignored it but I didn't.

As far taking pot shots at Orton I suggest you pay closer attention to who says degrading things about players.