PDA

View Full Version : Broncos sign Chad Jackson

Denver Native (Carol)
10-21-2008, 08:54 PM
http://den.scout.com/a.z?s=101&p=9&c=2&cid=803538&nid=3694728&fhn=1&refid=400&CMP=OTC-K9B140813162&ATT=5

Free Agent WR Finds a Home
by Scout Rumor Central of ScoutNFLNetwork.com, October 21, 2008 at 8:42pm ET

Chad Jackson Profile

The Denver Broncos have reached a contract agreement with free agent WR Chad Jackson, Scout.com has confirmed.

Jackson worked out for Denver last week.

The former second-round pick of the New England Patriots also had recent workouts for the Cincinnati Bengals, Miami Dolphins, Oakland Raiders, St. Louis Rams, and Tennessee Titans.

SR
10-21-2008, 09:00 PM
I have no opinion.

slim
10-21-2008, 09:01 PM
Awesome, that ought to shore up the defense.

Nomad
10-21-2008, 09:02 PM
Not a good move, that's all I got to say 'bout that!

Nomad
10-21-2008, 09:03 PM

Maybe he's taking Bly's place couldn't do any worse:lol:

SR
10-21-2008, 09:04 PM
MB could do better than Dre Bly.

BigDaddyBronco
10-21-2008, 09:05 PM
Just think we could have drafted Chad Jackson but instead we drafted Jarvis Moss.

Yea..........er............um.

turftoad
10-21-2008, 09:09 PM

Lol

Talking about bringing is some players for workouts, how about some defensive players?

slim
10-21-2008, 09:09 PM
Just think we could have drafted Chad Jackson but instead we drafted Jarvis Moss.

Yea..........er............um.

Wait, I think Jackson was in the draft the year before Moss :noidea:

I could be wrong.

ChampWJ
10-21-2008, 09:12 PM
Not another Gator NFL bust. :cool:

frauschieze
10-21-2008, 09:14 PM
Doh!

Benetto
10-21-2008, 09:14 PM
Chad Jack was the draft before Cutler...From what I remember...

BigDaddyBronco
10-21-2008, 09:15 PM
Wait, I think Jackson was in the draft the year before Moss :noidea:

I could be wrong.
Just checked, you're right. 2006 draft.

We got Cutler, Marshall, and Doom. :D Good Draft Shanny. :laugh:

SR
10-21-2008, 09:20 PM
And Scheffler.

UnderArmour
10-21-2008, 09:22 PM
And Hixon... Well shit.

BigDaddyBronco
10-21-2008, 09:23 PM
And Kuper and Hixon.

Wow what a draft. What do they say, grade a draft 3 years later.

Easy. A+

slim
10-21-2008, 09:24 PM
And Kuper and Hixon.

Wow what a draft. What do they say, grade a draft 3 years later.

Easy. A+

If we could just get one or two drafts like that on the defensive side of the ball.

BigDaddyBronco
10-21-2008, 09:31 PM
If we could just get one or two drafts like that on the defensive side of the ball.

I don't know if it's possible. You look at Shanny's draft history on Defensive players and it's pretty bad except for LB's (Wilson, DJ, and Gold), Darrent Williams, and the occasional lucky strike Reggie Hayward or Doom.

Hell I would like a defensive draft where 3 of them turn out ok.

JKcatch724
10-21-2008, 09:32 PM
They signed him so we could have someone to return kicks when we cut Hall IMO

slim
10-21-2008, 09:33 PM
They signed him so we could have someone to return kicks when we cut Hall IMO

Interesting. I was wondering if Hall would get cut. Not just because of his performance last night, but because Torain is back.

DenBronx
10-21-2008, 09:34 PM
guys, he cant be any worse than colbert. :rolleyes:

Traveler
10-21-2008, 09:40 PM
He can run the deep fly patterns. Who was released?

slim
10-21-2008, 09:42 PM
He can run the deep fly patterns. Who was released?

I heard something about Josh Shaw being suspended and two PS players being released. Don't have a link though.

SR
10-21-2008, 09:43 PM
Interesting. I was wondering if Hall would get cut. Not just because of his performance last night, but because Torain is back.

After last night, I hope Hall does get cut. I used to like him a lot, but those two fumbles turned a game we should have won in to a friggin nightmare.

slim
10-21-2008, 09:45 PM
After last night, I hope Hall does get cut. I used to like him a lot, but those two fumbles turned a game we should have won in to a friggin nightmare.

I agree...and Shanny usually doesn't take fumbling lightly.

Besides, he is only an average kick returner anyway...

DenBronx
10-21-2008, 09:48 PM
we have no need for hall when torain comes back anyway. cut the fumbler and send a message that turning the ball over wont be tolerated. hold on to the damn ball!!!!

SR
10-21-2008, 09:53 PM
I agree...and Shanny usually doesn't take fumbling lightly.

Besides, he is only an average kick returner anyway...

Marshall didn't fumble at least.

Now that Torrain is coming back, hopefully he will make the impact on our running game like we all have hoped he will. I like what Pittman has brought to our offense the past two weeks, but he is still 33 years old. Cut Hall.

shank
10-21-2008, 10:02 PM
i hope this isn't an indication of stokely's health.

slim
10-21-2008, 10:05 PM

:tsk: Don't say things like that :tsk:

SR
10-21-2008, 10:12 PM

Why shank? Why would you even go there? I think it's more because D. Jackson can't seem to hold on to the ball. He had back to back drops last night. Granted, at that particular juncture, we didn't have a hope or prayer at winning the game, but still. How you perform with your back against the wall is a BIG indicator of what kind of character you have as a player.

shank
10-21-2008, 10:12 PM
:tsk: Don't say things like that :tsk:

someone had to

G_Money
10-21-2008, 10:16 PM
Why shank? Why would you even go there? I think it's more because D. Jackson can't seem to hold on to the ball. He had back to back drops last night. Granted, at that particular juncture, we didn't have a hope or prayer at winning the game, but still. How you perform with your back against the wall is a BIG indicator of what kind of character you have as a player.

D-Jack has been terrible. Did Keary Colbert just swap jerseys with him or something? :tsk:

I'm astounded at how bad all of the vets we brought in this off-season have been. Thank God for Eddie Royal. Stay healthy kid - there's a severe dropoff after the starters go out...

~G

ikillz0mbies
10-21-2008, 10:21 PM
Is there any word if anyone got cut?

lex
10-21-2008, 10:25 PM
Is there any word if anyone got cut?

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_10777987

ikillz0mbies
10-21-2008, 10:39 PM
Much obliged.

DenBronx
10-21-2008, 10:54 PM
why do i get the feeling that shanahan will go after another big name wr and bypass signing good talent for the defense during the offseason?

bengaaaaals1688
10-21-2008, 11:12 PM
D-Jack has been terrible. Did Keary Colbert just swap jerseys with him or something? :tsk:

I'm astounded at how bad all of the vets we brought in this off-season have been. Thank God for Eddie Royal. Stay healthy kid - there's a severe dropoff after the starters go out...

~G

D-Jack has always had the dropsies. From the time he was in Seattle through being in San Fran. Just a problem he has always had, pretty bad problem for a WR, but he keeps finding work.

rcsodak
10-21-2008, 11:26 PM

So did BMarsh! Should Shanny cut him as well? ;)

Lonestar
10-22-2008, 12:12 AM

if we could get ONE I'd be thrilled..

Lonestar
10-22-2008, 12:15 AM
http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_10777987

like these folks screwed the pooch on Monday night.. lets place the balme where it should be.. NOT here..

Broncos fiddle with roster after loss
By Mike Klis
The Denver Post
Article Last Updated: 10/21/2008 05:14:04 PM MDT

It wasn't exactly Bloody Tuesday at Dove Valley, but the Broncos are tinkering with their roster in the aftermath of their New England disaster.

The Broncos released defensive tackle Steven Harris and running back P.J. Pope from their practice squad.

The team is discussing other moves, including what to do with the roster vacated by the suspension of defensive tackle Josh Shaw.

Hope there are more bodies to go starting with the defensive coaches..

dogfish
10-22-2008, 03:17 AM
i spent a good portion of march 2006 arguing with fans on mania who were freakin' in love with jackson, and DETERMINED that we needed to draft him-- if i had a dollar for every wannabe mel kiper that told me "there's just no value where we'll be picking besides wide receiver". . . . :rolleyes: while i'm a lot less opposed to bringing him in as a cheap FA than as a first round pick, i still don't think he's any friggin' good, and he's yet another in our fine tradition of walking injury reports. . . hope it works out just like i do with anyone else we bring in, but i sure as hell won't hold my breath. . .

~G

your point is largely accurate, but i'd like to take a moment to shout out casey weigman, who's been a rock for us this year. . . he and pittman have both been great value pickups. . .

don't get me wrong though-- i'm not in any way trying to defend shanahan's famous dumpster diving. . . just because the law of averages eventually works out in his favor on one or two of them doesn't mean that this year has been much better than our typical abyssmal failures in free agency. . . at least we recouped a draft pick from colbert, but niko and bailey are both total losses-- i'm still holding out hope that jackson can make some contributions once he gets his legs back under him, so to speak, but obviously we'd all much rather see stokes out there. . .

oh, and as for the free agent safeties. . . . :frusty: :frusty:

HolyDiver
10-22-2008, 06:53 AM
http://den.scout.com/a.z?s=101&p=9&c=2&cid=803538&nid=3694728&fhn=1&refid=400&CMP=OTC-K9B140813162&ATT=5

Free Agent WR Finds a Home

Chad Jackson Profile

The Denver Broncos have reached a contract agreement with free agent WR Chad Jackson, Scout.com has confirmed.

Jackson worked out for Denver last week.

The former second-round pick of the New England Patriots also had recent workouts for the Cincinnati Bengals, Miami Dolphins, Oakland Raiders, St. Louis Rams, and Tennessee Titans.

I remember alot of Bronco fans wanting us to draft this guy with our #1 pick a few years ago.............Glad we waited and got him for free...............Jackson is all speed, no hands, no heart............but he is fricken fast, running in the low 4.3's, if I remember correctly..............Let him return kicks instead of Hall.

Fan in Exile
10-22-2008, 07:46 AM
like these folks screwed the pooch on Monday night.. lets place the balme where it should be.. NOT here..

By Mike Klis
The Denver Post

It wasn't exactly Bloody Tuesday at Dove Valley, but the Broncos are tinkering with their roster in the aftermath of their New England disaster.

The Broncos released defensive tackle Steven Harris and running back P.J. Pope from their practice squad.

The team is discussing other moves, including what to do with the roster vacated by the suspension of defensive tackle Josh Shaw.

I don't think this has anything to do with placing blame. I think this is just freeing up places on the PS so that they can bring guys in who will better address needs. I think the blame comes when roster guys start getting cut.

I totally agree that Jackson coming in means Hall's days are numbered.

HolyDiver
10-22-2008, 07:49 AM
I don't think this has anything to do with placing blame. I think this is just freeing up places on the PS so that they can bring guys in who will better address needs. I think the blame comes when roster guys start getting cut.

I totally agree that Jackson coming in means Hall's days are numbered.

Torain coming back soon and Alridge showing last preseason what he's capable at 180 pounds, spelled the end for Hall after fumble #1............let alone the second one.

broncofaninfla
10-22-2008, 07:58 AM
I don't get it at all. Must mean the Broncos have serious concerns about Stokley's health status?

Dreadnought
10-22-2008, 08:20 AM
Feh...Deck Chairs...Titanic...

GEM
10-22-2008, 09:22 AM

Marshall had 2 drops in a row on Monday night....just sayin.

HolyDiver
10-22-2008, 09:28 AM
Marshall had 2 drops in a row on Monday night....just sayin.

Cut the *******, he hasn't proved a damn thing.

SR
10-22-2008, 09:33 AM

~G

You're not kidding man. I had high hopes for D-Jack this year. I thought his career was going to be resurrected in Denver. Boy, was I sadly mistaken.

Scarface
10-22-2008, 09:35 AM
The link on the first post of this thread now says this.

Denver Showing Interest in WR

Chad Jackson Profile

The Denver Broncos, who worked out free agent WR Chad Jackson last week, remain interested in the former second-round pick of the New England Patriots.

Denver is thin on depth at receiver and veteran Brandon Stokley is still coming back from a concussion that he suffered two weeks ago.

Jackson had recent workouts for the Cincinnati Bengals, Miami Dolphins, Oakland Raiders, St. Louis Rams, and Tennessee Titans.

SR
10-22-2008, 09:35 AM
So did BMarsh! Should Shanny cut him as well? ;)

Marshall is in a completely different league than D-Jack. Marshall is in the same league as Fitzgerald, Boldin, Moss, TO, Steve Smith, etc. You don't cut guys like that because they got fumbleitis two games in a row. Marshall proved himself Monday night. Good players learn.

SR
10-22-2008, 09:37 AM
The link on the first post of this thread now says this.

I hope that interest fades. I'd rather see Glen Martinez out there playing. He's not great, but he's got something to play for. Dude doesn't want to get cut. He WANTS that roster spot. He WANTS to play. He will bust his balls trying to prove that.

GEM
10-22-2008, 09:41 AM
Cut the *******, he hasn't proved a damn thing.

Happy you saw the humor in that. :D

jrelway
10-22-2008, 09:45 AM
martinez needs to go. d.jax is past his prime. im happy for this signing. i kind of wanted the broncos to draft this kid a couple years back. get andre hall out of kick off returns and see what this guy can do. Hall just seems slow and hesitant on kickoffs.

SR
10-22-2008, 09:47 AM
Funny, because I thought Hall's ONE strong point was his kickoff returns. Maybe I was just more impressed that he held on to the ball.

jrelway
10-22-2008, 09:49 AM
i thought so too. thought hall would make a big impact on returning kick offs. i was wrong. when you watch eddie royal return punts, you see him hit the right holes, stutter step, and not run into his blockers. hall just doesnt seem to have that instinct..hopefully chad does.

SR
10-22-2008, 10:08 AM
I think Hall is too fast for his shoes. We should keep him and let him start at running back, left side corner, and do all kickoff and punt returns. Let him handle it all. He's a star in the making.

/sarcasm

Traveler
10-22-2008, 10:08 AM
My wife is still learning the pro game. She mentioned on Monday that everytime Hall received the kickoff, no matter where he received it, he would constantly return somewhere between the 20-25 yard line.

Shocked the heck out of me to see she was right. I'd never wish unemployment on anyone. That said, I think they should look at someone else for kickoffs.

BTW, I still haven't read anything in the Denver papers confirming we actually signed Jackson.

Ziggy
10-22-2008, 10:17 AM
I don't know if it's possible. You look at Shanny's draft history on Defensive players and it's pretty bad except for LB's (Wilson, DJ, and Gold), Darrent Williams, and the occasional lucky strike Reggie Hayward or Doom.

Hell I would like a defensive draft where 3 of them turn out ok.

And before the 2006 draft, how was Shanny's history on drafting WR's, and QB's?

underrated29
10-22-2008, 10:28 AM
We have been talking with jackson for quite some time now. Way before the NE game and all of halls fumbles. We are bringing him in for a look because he is fast, and we are really thin at WR.

If anyone of our other WR goes down we need someone quick. Thats why we are looking at chad. He is the best available FA out there.

BigDaddyBronco
10-22-2008, 10:34 AM
And before the 2006 draft, how was Shanny's history on drafting WR's, and QB's?
Good point. Maybe it's the scouts and not Shanny. Either way, I'm not holding my breath that the draft will save the defense.

Seems like the best DLine we have had in recent memory was the Browncos and we didn't draft any of them.

Medford Bronco
10-22-2008, 10:35 AM
Hall is a stiff, just like Quentin Griffin was. :coffee:

I miss Mike Anderson, He blows away everyone here exept for Pittman

and that includes the overrated Selvin Young as well.
I have no comment on Torrain as I have never seen him play

Dreadnought
10-22-2008, 10:36 AM
Good point. Maybe it's the scouts and not Shanny. Either way, I'm not holding my breath that the draft will save the defense.

Seems like the best DLine we have had in recent memory was the Browncos and we didn't draft any of them.

I'm glad you brought up the "Brownco's". I liked those guys then, and I like them even more now. I guess Bates thought none of those guys could play though. Hell, I'd be thrilled to have Michael Myers back in the lineup nowadays :rolleyes:

BigDaddyBronco
10-22-2008, 10:43 AM
I'm glad you brought up the "Brownco's". I liked those guys then, and I like them even more now. I guess Bates thought none of those guys could play though. Hell, I'd be thrilled to have Michael Myers back in the lineup nowadays :rolleyes:

Think if we had kept G. Warren. Warren, Robertson, Thomas and Peterson aren't a bad set of DT's. Then we would only be week in DE, LB, S, and CB. :laugh:

WTE
10-22-2008, 10:51 AM
i spent a good portion of march 2006 arguing with fans on mania who were freakin' in love with jackson

I was with you Dog stating Chad had hands of stone and only knew how to run a deep route.

That was until the Patriots traded up to grab him. :laugh:

dogfish
10-22-2008, 01:43 PM

i just noticed the quote in your sig-- that is a freakin' thing of beauty!

:cheers:

nah. . . trevor pryce, bert berry and reggie hayward back in '03 or '04, when all three of 'em had 8 sacks or more. . . .

I was with you Dog stating Chad had hands of stone and only knew how to run a deep route.

That was until the Patriots traded up to grab him. :laugh:

had to do some backpedaling there, didn't ya?

:lol:

WARHORSE
10-22-2008, 02:24 PM
Perhaps they asked him if he would try out at corner?

lol..........

broncofaninfla
10-22-2008, 03:16 PM
Are we sure we even signed Chad? I'm not seeing it anywhere.

LRtagger
10-22-2008, 03:35 PM
Hall is a stiff, just like Quentin Griffin was. :coffee:

haha last year I said Hall reminded me of Quentin :lol:

Retired_Member_001
10-22-2008, 03:45 PM
I have no opinion.

Interesting.

I feel the exact same way.

Simple Jaded
10-22-2008, 03:53 PM
http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/10/22/broncos-ink-chad-jackson/#comments

A league source tells us that the Denver Broncos have agreed to terms with receiver Chad Jackson.

Jackson, a second-round pick in 2006, was cut by the Patriots prior to the season.

He appeared in 12 games as a rookie, with one start. But he suffered a torn ACL during the playoffs, and made only a minor contribution last year.

In Denver, Jackson joins a corps of receivers including Brandon Marshall, Eddie Royal, Brandon Stokley, Darrell Jackson, and Glenn Martinez.

Stokley missed Monday night’s game after suffering a concussion in Week Six; the decision to add Jackson could be a sign that Stokley won’t be back for a while.

Still nothing official though......

JKcatch724
10-23-2008, 12:44 AM
I'm drinkin from the Warhorse "half-full cup" here, but some players just don't fit with teams.

Who knows? I mean, Ed McCaffrey wasn't Ed McCaffrey before he came to Denver...

I'm just sayin. I'm not casting him off, but I'm not holding my breath either.

SmilinAssasSin27
10-23-2008, 06:29 AM
eh...not a BAD MOVE. Prolly not good either. It's a warm body w/ potential to do well if the knee comes around. No more. No less.

rcsodak
10-23-2008, 08:07 AM

By Mike Klis
The Denver Post

I think this shows that Harris is going to be activated, as they need more help along the Dline. Pope? Who knows...maybe he's going to take Hall's place.

I wish they'd bring back Mallard, to replace Shaw.

broncofaninfla
10-23-2008, 08:18 AM
I think this shows that Harris is going to be activated, as they need more help along the Dline. Pope? Who knows...maybe he's going to take Hall's place.

I wish they'd bring back Mallard, to replace Shaw.

I think you are right. I read online where Pope practiced with the team on Wednesday. Hall could be history if Pope shows some game.

tomjonesrocks
10-23-2008, 09:57 AM
Yawn. :sleeping:

A snooze unless he is our new kick specialist (as has been suggested) after we cut Hall, which IMO we can't do soon enough.
In fact, why is he still on the roster right now? Let's get on with it!

atwater27
10-23-2008, 01:57 PM
And Hixon... Well shit.

I am so pissed we got rid of him. He would be a perfect kick returner/ 3rd or 4th receiver right now. Cutler would have a legitimate deep threat to go to in the slot.

atwater27
10-23-2008, 01:58 PM
Which would maybe justify his decision to go deep on every single play.