PDA

View Full Version : If I had told you before the season started...

honz
10-21-2008, 04:39 PM
...that we would be 4-3 heading into our by week what would have been your reaction?

Pretend that you weren't able to see a single one of our games this year and simply knew that we were 4-3 after playing Oakland, SD, NO, KC, Tampa, and Jacksonville. Would you be pleased? disappointed? or is 4-3 on par with your preseason prediction?

Personally, I said that I would be pleased if we were 3-4 heading into the bye week considering our question marks on D (obviously, there are still questions there), our questions regarding our young and inexperienced OLine, questions at WR, and uncertainty about how all of our young talent would perform. I was wrong in thinking that we would start off slow and get better as the season progressed and our young players continued to improve, as it has been the exact opposite, but we do have a winning record and the lead in our division. If we can pull our heads out our asses during our bye week, then we have an excellent chance to salvage this season against a mediocre second half schedule.

I still have faith and GO BRONCOS!:salute:

:elefant:

Broncospsycho77
10-21-2008, 04:42 PM
I was expecting about 3-4 or 4-3 based on our defensive performance last year, as well as the adoption of relatively new systems on both offense and defense.

However, I never would have thought that we would come out of the gate sprinting like we did (3-0), and then fall back to Earth. Those are the worst types of seasons, where games are won and lost in bulk.

Northman
10-21-2008, 04:43 PM
I had us at the beginning being 4-3.

But i had us beating Oak, SD, K.C, and Tampa and losing to Jax, NO, and NE. But, when i saw what we were doing on offense i thought we would beat at least K.C and NE considering their woes this year. I dont know if the faith is there but i have hope that they can find a way to turn it around for the better.

Buff
10-21-2008, 04:44 PM
I'd tend to say this is about where I would have predicted us...

But I think after starting 3-0, and then losing 3 out of 4 games the way we've lost them... I can't help but be worried the way things are trending. Especially given this franchise's propensity for starting fast and finishing slow.

If you would have told me that we'd start 3-0 and then end up 4-3, I'd be seriously concerned.

NightTrainLayne
10-21-2008, 04:44 PM
I figured before the season that we would be 3-4 going into the bye, but then pick up speed against a "weaker" post-bye schedule and finish somewhere around 9-7 or 10-6 going 7-2 or 6-3 after the bye.

I kept trying to tell myself that same thing last night. . .. that we're 2 games ahead of where I thought we'd be, and BONUS we're a game in front of S.D. for the AFC West crown.

But, it seems we're going the wrong direction. Opposing defenses appear to have figured out our offensive scheme (the turnovers aren't helping diffuse that notion), and the defense is regressing.

I am less confident now of our post-bye performance. The schedule looks a lot tougher now than it did 10 weeks ago, and we've lost any momentum we had.

Hold on tight. I think we're in for a roller-coaster ride.

Lonestar
10-21-2008, 04:58 PM
I had predicted 1-6 so I'm happier.. The only game I saw us winning was the KC game IIRC and that was not a gimme due to it being in KC..

from this point on I thought we would improve to 7-9 or maybe 8-8 and 'm not all that sure we can do that even..

MIA could be the game that breaks or makes the season if we can;t beat last years doormat at home we are in big DO DOOOO

MIA -Win

@CLE - Loss

@ATL - LOSS

OAK - LOSS they have a great D getting better..

@NYJ - LOSS

KC -win but close one..

@CAR - LOSS

BUF- Depends on if we are looking past them to SAN or they rest some players for the playoffs (BUF I mean).. lets call it a Win

@SAN- LOSS

That still puts us at 7-9..

In-com-plete
10-21-2008, 04:58 PM
I thought during the preseason we'd go 9-7 this year. Give or take a game.

But after starting out 3-0 and averaging 38 a game, I expected us to be 6-1 right now. With the Chiefs sucking and Brady going down week 1, I counted those as W's.

And I understand the point of this thread. To get everyone to think "Yeah, we're about were I thought we'd be". I admit, my first thought was "Well yeah, 4-3 is about what I thought before the season started". But that only made me feel better for a second.

MOtorboat
10-21-2008, 05:03 PM
I guess I felt like 8-8, 9-7 was where this team was. I think they've proven that.

BUT...what I did not bank on was the fact that the Chargers might be in that same boat...and I think that has a direct corolation on how our season may end up, strictly because I think the winner of that final game may reach the 10-win plateau...

The reason I think its a big deal that San Diego is under-500 is because I thought one of our losses would be to San Diego early in the season, and that could sway us to being 9-7, maybe 10-6, rather than 8-8.

Skinny
10-21-2008, 05:09 PM
Indiffrent. I was expecting the defense to be somewhat improved thinking that it could'nt possibly get any worse. Boy I was wrong. That's been the biggest dissappointment.

Offensively, the O-line and passing game is much better that i thought it would be at this point. I thought those were two areas we could struggle at. I'm more than happy to say i was wrong there too.

SD, NE, NO, Jax were the teams i thought we would lose too. Though with Brady out i thought we could and should have won that game. But getting 2 wins from that group is a bright spot. I think this team has a chance to finish better than the 8-8, 9-7 record i thought they would before the season.

But, this team has to work to do in the next 2 weeks to straighten the ship and get back on the right path. If that's enough time or not to do it, we'll see.

BroncoJoe
10-21-2008, 05:12 PM
I had predicted 1-6 so I'm happier.. The only game I saw us winning was the KC game IIRC and that was not a gimme due to it being in KC..

from this point on I thought we would improve to 7-9 or maybe 8-8 and 'm not all that sure we can do that even..

MIA could be the game that breaks or makes the season if we can;t beat last years doormat at home we are in big DO DOOOO

MIA -Win

@CLE - Loss

@ATL - LOSS

OAK - LOSS they have a great D getting better..

@NYJ - LOSS

KC -win but close one..

@CAR - LOSS

BUF- Depends on if we are looking past them to SAN or they rest some players for the playoffs (BUF I mean).. lets call it a Win

@SAN- LOSS

That still puts us at 7-9..

I think we could lose to MIA, but beat OAK. CLE is a possibility for a win as well, but we just don't play well in early games.

8-8 for me, Possibly 7-9 again, but I did think we would have a good chance of being 2-5 at this point, although I never said it (being the homer I am...).

MOtorboat
10-21-2008, 05:14 PM
I am not confident about calling any game on that schedule a win...I will say I think we CAN win the next four. Doesn't mean we will - just that we've got a good shot of doing so.

The one game I will speak to is Kansas City in Mile High. That team is a wreck...we will destroy them. Remember the 30-10 game a few years back, when it really should have been 30-3 and we gave up that garbage touchdown. Yeah...that's going to be a beat down. I will confidently say that the Chiefs game is going to be a slaughter.

Lonestar
10-21-2008, 05:15 PM
I guess I felt like 8-8, 9-7 was where this team was. I think they've proven that.

BUT...what I did not bank on was the fact that the Chargers might be in that same boat...and I think that has a direct corolation on how our season may end up, strictly because I think the winner of that final game may reach the 10-win plateau...

The reason I think its a big deal that San Diego is under-500 is because I thought one of our losses would be to San Diego early in the season, and that could sway us to being 9-7, maybe 10-6, rather than 8-8.

I had thought this also, but thought SAN was much stronger than they are..

They may have turned the corner last week with their beat down of NE but then the fluke game in BUF,, If they beat up on NOL this week in LONDON then they did indeed turn a corner..

After going 3-0 I had to rethink my prediction.. but I had always said the youth on this team would be really inconsistent..

The OLINE is much better than I thought Eddie Royale is heads and above what I suspected..

But the DL is MUCH MUCH worse than I thought considering all the reports we got out of training camp..

Figured we would win a couple of game I thought we would lose and lose a couple I thought we would win..

I knew we would lose in NE just did not think we would melt down..

Lonestar
10-21-2008, 05:20 PM
I am not confident about calling any game on that schedule a win...I will say I think we CAN win the next four. Doesn't mean we will - just that we've got a good shot of doing so.

The one game I will speak to is Kansas City in Mile High. That team is a wreck...we will destroy them. Remember the 30-10 game a few years back, when it really should have been 30-3 and we gave up that garbage touchdown. Yeah...that's going to be a beat down. I will confidently say that the Chiefs game is going to be a slaughter.

well your closer to them than most any of us are so you get better vibes than we do..

But wanna bet that that it is not as big a gap as you think it will be?

MY donkeys have a way of playing down to the level of their competition..

Yes that is what they are after such a lousy game.. I'm entitled after 48 years..

MOtorboat
10-21-2008, 05:26 PM
MY donkeys have a way of playing down to the level of their competition..

Not really going to disagree with you there...see: first KC game.

But, I just don't see that one being very close.

Lonestar
10-21-2008, 05:29 PM
Not really going to disagree with you there...see: first KC game.

But, I just don't see that one being very close.

hey by then maybe the defense will grow some huevos..

BroncosRockdaRockies
10-21-2008, 05:32 PM
I thought we would really just beat the Division teams at this point. I was very worried about the schedule outside the Div.

tubby
10-21-2008, 05:43 PM
I am disappointed with 4-3 but would have been pleased with 5-2. That said....I still think this team can go 11-5.

:homer:

Lonestar
10-21-2008, 05:49 PM
I am disappointed with 4-3 but would have been pleased with 5-2. That said....I still think this team can go 11-5.

:homer:

wildly optimistic if you want My Opinion.

Not saying it can't happen but, wow.. the defense is going to have to learn to be in the right spot, how to tackle and make some key stops over the BYE..

All the while not more dropsies on Offense and someone is going to have to get us 90-120 yards a game by themselves on the ground per game from this point out..

ANd injuries are verbotten..

Retired_Member_001
10-21-2008, 06:13 PM
Hmmmm...

I predicted this to be a 9-7 season, 10-6 after pre-season. I guess I would be indifferent but kind of pleased at the same time.

The reason why so many Bronco fans are upset is because we're having a sudden dip in form, something that has killed us for the last two seasons. If we had started off 0-2, but then went 3-1, everyone here would be ecstatic. The mood is all about current form.

shank
10-21-2008, 06:23 PM
it's about what i expected record wise, but i wouldn't have expected us to be completely jekyll/hyde on offense like we have been. i thought our offense would carry us to about 4-3.

our offensive problems are all fixable. we've seen how good they can be when they aren't in self-destruct mode.

the defense has work to do, but if they can even work their way back to average and our offense gets their act together i feel we can hang in there with anyone. that if is bigger than i'd like it to be, lets hope the bye is exactly what the team needs.

SmilinAssasSin27
10-21-2008, 06:26 PM
I think we could lose to MIA, but beat OAK. CLE is a possibility for a win as well, but we just don't play well in early games.
8-8 for me, Possibly 7-9 again, but I did think we would have a good chance of being 2-5 at this point, although I never said it (being the homer I am...).

Clev is a Thursday night game.

broncophan
10-21-2008, 06:27 PM
I figured we would win 7 or 8 games this year.....as our young qb learns how to be an nfl qb.........was hoping we would have a NEEDED strong defense to support our young qb.

I'm not so sure we can win 8 games now though.....the way things have gone so far......it seems the last 3 games our qb is regressing instead of getting better.

As I saw someone on espn say today.......Cutler needs to zip his lip and just play......

Finger pointing after a loss.....and making comments that you have a stronger arm than a legend like Elway.....really makes him look like a complete idiot.....esp. when he plays like he did last night.............

and it sure isn't going to help his team win any games.:confused:

Retired_Member_001
10-21-2008, 06:27 PM
We should really beat Cleveland.

Their defense is nearly as bad as ours, and their offense is sucking.

Lonestar
10-21-2008, 06:29 PM
Clev is a Thursday night game.

just that much worse night games are bad for young teams especially DEN teams....

Nick
10-21-2008, 06:30 PM
I still think we are going 11-5... The Bye week has come at a perfect time (We lose to Carolina and the Dolts)

Lonestar
10-21-2008, 06:31 PM
We should really beat Cleveland.

Their defense is nearly as bad as ours, and their offense is sucking.

but then we allowed a team like NE with a fourth string QB look like he was an All pro.. If they have any running game at all they will become all pros during our stay in CLE..

broncophan
10-21-2008, 06:32 PM
just that much worse night games are bad for young teams especially DEN teams....

yea we have proven that over the years.....
I think I saw that the broncos are now 6-23 on Monday night road games.....:confused:

And I can remember alot of those losses being total embarrassments.....like last night.

SmilinAssasSin27
10-21-2008, 06:34 PM
Cleveland is built to destroy us. IF Anderson plays well, their OLine is badass and they can run the hell out of the ball. Their 3-4 isn't awful at all. They are in their games...Braylon just keeps dropping the ball.

Broncolingus
10-21-2008, 06:41 PM
Pretty much where I figured...8-8 season is still my guess, although 7-9 seems probable too.

Offensive line has been a pleasant surprise...offense too, vice the turnovers of late.

Defense exactly what I'd expected (lack of a physical presence at DL and LB) but the Safety's are much worse than I thought they'd be.

Special teams have been slightly better than average which has been nice...Prater looks good.

I said give Slow-lick a season, but I've seen enough and it's time to go.

Shanny needs to keep his butt out of defensive player/personnel decisions from this point until he retires.

Tned
10-21-2008, 06:41 PM
...that we would be 4-3 heading into our by week what would have been your reaction?

Pretend that you weren't able to see a single one of our games this year and simply knew that we were 4-3 after playing Oakland, SD, NO, KC, Tampa, and Jacksonville. Would you be pleased? disappointed? or is 4-3 on par with your preseason prediction?

Personally, I said that I would be pleased if we were 3-4 heading into the bye week considering our question marks on D (obviously, there are still questions there), our questions regarding our young and inexperienced OLine, questions at WR, and uncertainty about how all of our young talent would perform. I was wrong in thinking that we would start off slow and get better as the season progressed and our young players continued to improve, as it has been the exact opposite, but we do have a winning record and the lead in our division. If we can pull our heads out our asses during our bye week, then we have an excellent chance to salvage this season against a mediocre second half schedule.

I still have faith and GO BRONCOS!:salute:

:elefant:

As I expected an 11-12 win season, with 10 being the worst case, I would be and am dissapointed. Not disgusted, because I expected ups and downs with the young offense and questionable D, but I would have hoped for at least one more win at the bye, to be happy or on par with my expectations.

Tned
10-21-2008, 06:43 PM
but then we allowed a team like NE with a fourth string QB look like he was an All pro.. If they have any running game at all they will become all pros during our stay in CLE..

I thought he was their backup QB? :confused: Who is the NE second and third string QB?

broncophan
10-21-2008, 06:45 PM
I thought he was their backup QB? :confused: Who is the NE second and third string QB?

It doesn't matter....they could have dressed Grogan.....and he would have beat the broncos last night...

Lonestar
10-21-2008, 06:58 PM

I was being facetious he is the back up, who prior to this year never started in the NFL or for that matter college..