PDA

View Full Version : Musings and observations from last nights blowout

eessydo
10-21-2008, 10:15 AM
Ouch!

After watching last night I have come to a couple of simple conclusions:

1. We are currently a playoff fraud. I am not sure how we are winning the division right now but I can safely say that if we do, it might be with a losing record.

2. Jay Cutler
a. is NOT John elway
b. relies more on his armstrength than his brain
c. Clearly has trouble reading defenses pre-snap
d. Needs to stop telegraphing his passes to Brandon Marshall
e. Needs to stop throwing every pass to Brandon Marshall when the heat is on, check down dude.

3. The Defense
a. 5 defensive coordinators in 5 years, the chickens have come home to roost
b. Great at closing running lanes prior to the opponents running backs cutting up field.
c. Sacking a quarterback only makes a difference in close games so why are we so excited about putting a third rate backup on his ass when the scoreboard already shows that you suck.
d. is too small, especially when a smaller offensive line can manhandle you and make you look like girls.
e. Can make washed up backup running backs and undrafted free agents look like Walter Payton.

It is no secret how to beat the broncos right now, the whole league has our number including the lowly Chiefs.

Day1BroncoFan
10-21-2008, 10:19 AM
+ 1

Northman
10-21-2008, 10:23 AM
Yep, right on the money.

Broncolingus
10-21-2008, 10:31 AM
Nice post eessy...

honz
10-21-2008, 10:54 AM
I know we have had some terribly ugly games this season, but before the season started I said that I would be very pleased with a 4-3 record heading into the bye week. I think the key to the Broncos success going forward is going to be jumping out to early leads and forcing teams to play catchup on us. Our offense can still be explosive IMO if we can find a way to hold onto the ball and not shoot ourselves in the foot, but I think it is clear that we aren't going to win any defensive battles without a little luck.

We still have a 1 game lead over the Chargers in the division and if we can find a way to beat them at the end of the season that basically makes it a 3 game lead (2 game lead + the tiebreaker). So we still control our own destiny and if we can pull our heads out of our asses coming out of the bye week, then I think we still have a legit shot at making the playoffs.

turftoad
10-21-2008, 11:06 AM
Ouch!

After watching last night I have come to a couple of simple conclusions:

1. We are currently a playoff fraud. I am not sure how we are winning the division right now but I can safely say that if we do, it might be with a losing record.

2. Jay Cutler
a. is NOT John elway
b. relies more on his armstrength than his brain
c. Clearly has trouble reading defenses pre-snap
d. Needs to stop telegraphing his passes to Brandon Marshall
e. Needs to stop throwing every pass to Brandon Marshall when the heat is on, check down dude.

3. The Defense
a. 5 defensive coordinators in 5 years, the chickens have come home to roost
b. Great at closing running lanes prior to the opponents running backs cutting up field.
c. Sacking a quarterback only makes a difference in close games so why are we so excited about putting a third rate backup on his ass when the scoreboard already shows that you suck.
d. is too small, especially when a smaller offensive line can manhandle you and make you look like girls.
e. Can make washed up backup running backs and undrafted free agents look like Walter Payton.

It is no secret how to beat the broncos right now, the whole league has our number including the lowly Chiefs.

Rushing ATT YDS TD LG
S. Morris 16 138 1 34
B. Green-Ellis 13 65 1 15
K. Faulk 4 50 0 16
H. Evans 1 3 0 3

Rushing ATT YDS TD LG
S. Morris 16 138 1 34
K. Faulk 4 50 0 16
H. Evans 1 3 0 3

This was freeking ridiculous.

34 attempts (by RB's) for 256 yrds. That my friends is a whopping 7.5 yards per carry.

We made friggen Sammy Morris look like Gayle Sayers. Sammy Morris??? WOW!!!

Now.... I'm sure we'll still have some guys here wanting the sexy RB pick in the first round of next years draft.

Screw that, we need "D" with every pick we've got.

I can't handle watching the "D" give up big chuncks of yards to the likes of Cassell, Morris and a guy by the name of Green Ellis.

:tsk::tsk::tsk:

Day1BroncoFan
10-21-2008, 11:17 AM
The way I see it we only have two problems, offense and defense.

Our defense can't stop anyone and our offense can't hang on to the ball, other than that we have a great team.

LRtagger
10-21-2008, 11:33 AM
Now.... I'm sure we'll still have some guys here wanting the sexy RB pick in the first round of next years draft.

Yes, but until we get someone on our staff that knows anything about how to run a defense or how to scout defensive talent, we will continue wasting draft picks on defensive busts.

The window that this offense has to be really great is probably 7-10 years. I am not even sure we can turn around our D in that amount of time with the talent evaluation and coaches that we currently have on staff. We need some serious changes on D and it starts with the HO and defensive coaching.

If Pat can bring in someone that can really build a defense AND LEAVE SHANNY OUT OF THE DEFENSIVE DECISION MAKING, then I will regain some confidence that the Broncos can have a top ranked defense before Cutler, Marshall, and Royal retire.

eessydo
10-21-2008, 11:41 AM
We still have a 1 game lead over the Chargers in the division and if we can find a way to beat them at the end of the season that basically makes it a 3 game lead (2 game lead + the tiebreaker). So we still control our own destiny and if we can pull our heads out of our asses coming out of the bye week, then I think we still have a legit shot at making the playoffs.

Not sure how your math works but by my count it is week 8. The way the league works is that the team with the best record wins the division, not the team with the best record against divisional opponents. At this point I would be surprised if that one game lead doesn't turn into 3 games behind SD very quickly.

You can't let a team with a backup QB who hadn't started a game since high school up until a few weeks ago, a backup RB who the dolphins didn't even want and an undrafted free agent RB who no one has heard of do what they did. Especially after the Chargers gift wrapped a two game lead in the division.

Sorry, but we are sorry. When you strategy to win a division and make the playoffs is solely on the hopes that the other teams do just as poorly as you do and hope you beat them in the tiebreaker, you have some serious issues.

MasterShake
10-21-2008, 11:47 AM
I know we have had some terribly ugly games this season, but before the season started I said that I would be very pleased with a 4-3 record heading into the bye week. I think the key to the Broncos success going forward is going to be jumping out to early leads and forcing teams to play catchup on us. Our offense can still be explosive IMO if we can find a way to hold onto the ball and not shoot ourselves in the foot, but I think it is clear that we aren't going to win any defensive battles without a little luck.

I agree. Man, if we didn't have those damn early turnovers in our losses who knows how those games would have ended up.

eessydo
10-21-2008, 11:47 AM
As far as shipping out Slowik is concerned....that is not the answer. The responsibility of this defenses failure is two fold:

1. The ability to evaluate and pick talented defensive players in the draft and FA. We have done a horrible job at this.

2. Rotating defensive coordinators without giving them the personnel that fits their scheme via number 1.

We have general management issues, and the DC's are continually the scape goats. If you ask me, we should have given bates 3-5 years.....not run him out of town because the personnel did not fit the scheme. He was proven and had built two powerhouse defenses in the NFL at two separate organizations. To treat him the way we did as both fans and an organization was deplorable.

Until we can figure this out we are doomed.

turftoad
10-21-2008, 11:53 AM

The playoffs? Then what?

We make fools of ourselves in a first round blow out?

Winning a weak division and making the playoffs seems a world away right now.

The winner of the AFCW is going to be 9-7 or 8-8 and we'll be lucky to be that team right now.

jrelway
10-21-2008, 12:35 PM
Rushing ATT YDS TD LG
S. Morris 16 138 1 34
K. Faulk 4 50 0 16
H. Evans 1 3 0 3

Rushing ATT YDS TD LG
S. Morris 16 138 1 34
K. Faulk 4 50 0 16
H. Evans 1 3 0 3

This was freeking ridiculous.

34 attempts (by RB's) for 256 yrds. That my friends is a whopping 7.5 yards per carry.

We made friggen Sammy Morris look like Gayle Sayers. Sammy Morris??? WOW!!!

I can't handle watching the "D" give up big chuncks of yards to the likes of Cassell, Morris and a guy by the name of Green Ellis.

:tsk::tsk::tsk:

yup. i dont care if a freak RB or WR falls to us. We need to go all defense in next years draft. hell, trade up to take a stud defender. trade some of our players and get more picks for defense. what a cruddy ass tuesday.

LRtagger
10-21-2008, 01:00 PM
As far as shipping out Slowik is concerned....that is not the answer. The responsibility of this defenses failure is two fold:

1. The ability to evaluate and pick talented defensive players in the draft and FA. We have done a horrible job at this.

2. Rotating defensive coordinators without giving them the personnel that fits their scheme via number 1.

We have general management issues, and the DC's are continually the scape goats. If you ask me, we should have given bates 3-5 years.....not run him out of town because the personnel did not fit the scheme. He was proven and had built two powerhouse defenses in the NFL at two separate organizations. To treat him the way we did as both fans and an organization was deplorable.

You are contradicting yourself by saying we should have kept Bates because he was proven and that is the reason we shouldnt fire Slowik.

I agree with you that we should have given Bates more time. It is glaringly aparent now that firing him did not help our defense.

But Slowik would not be a scape goat at this point. He should have never been promoted by Mike to begin with. His track record is horrible. He has never held a coordinating job for longer than a year since the mid 90's. He completely turned Green Bay's defense around for the worse (from ranked 4th to ranked 27th in one year and to the worst defense in franchise history). And Bates stepped in and turned their defense into a top 10 defense again in a matter of 2 years. The Green Bay fans laughed at us when we hired Slowik and told us exactly what would happen...and so far they were exactly right.

I dont care what kind of personnel we have or do not have. SLOWIK IS NOT A GOOD DEFENSIVE COORDINATOR PERIOD.

As soon as someone can provide me proof that he is a compitant coordinator, I will gladly retract my statement, but the history and present are on my side 10 fold.

honz
10-21-2008, 02:55 PM
Not sure how your math works but by my count it is week 8. The way the league works is that the team with the best record wins the division, not the team with the best record against divisional opponents. At this point I would be surprised if that one game lead doesn't turn into 3 games behind SD very quickly.

You can't let a team with a backup QB who hadn't started a game since high school up until a few weeks ago, a backup RB who the dolphins didn't even want and an undrafted free agent RB who no one has heard of do what they did. Especially after the Chargers gift wrapped a two game lead in the division.

Sorry, but we are sorry. When you strategy to win a division and make the playoffs is solely on the hopes that the other teams do just as poorly as you do and hope you beat them in the tiebreaker, you have some serious issues.

The math works like this: right now we have a 1 game lead in the division. Let's say we played the Chargers game tomorrow and beat them...we would then have a 2 game lead plus the tiebreaker, which is basically a 3 game lead. So all I am saying is that the SD game at the end of the season is a huge game...

broncophan
10-21-2008, 03:04 PM
The math works like this: right now we have a 1 game lead in the division. Let's say we played the Chargers game tomorrow and beat them...we would then have a 2 game lead plus the tiebreaker, which is basically a 3 game lead. So all I am saying is that the SD game at the end of the season is a huge game...

First things first.....I think we better worry about how we are going to stay ahead of the chiefs and the raiders.....before we worry about winning any division....

honz
10-21-2008, 04:16 PM
First things first.....I think we better worry about how we are going to stay ahead of the chiefs and the raiders.....before we worry about winning any division....
Obviously...

Am I delusional or are we in better shape than any other team in our division at the moment? We are on top of the division for now, no?

SmilinAssasSin27
10-21-2008, 04:28 PM
We clearly need continuity at the DC spot. I'm not gonna bash this dude's schemes given what is on our roster. We have 2 "should be solid" DTs and a steaming pile at DE. Even Elvis is barely above average...1 trick pony.

Then we have the LBs...or should I say LB...as in 1 LB. His name is DJ. The rest is crap.

Now the secondary. Champ is GOD and people never throw his way. They don't have to. Bly is terrible and he's gone in 09 so I at least feel a little better about that. Our Safeties are the worst in recorded history...and I'm not joking.

Get the DC a run stopping DE (yes, run stopping), a MLB and 2 Safeties and this team can be very good.

broncophan
10-21-2008, 06:13 PM
Obviously...

Am I delusional or are we in better shape than any other team in our division at the moment? We are on top of the division for now, no?

yes we are in first place, and that's a good thing.......not so sure we are in "better shape" though...wouldn't want to trade records with anyone in our division.........just don't feel good about the future though...

Lonestar
10-21-2008, 06:56 PM
Obviously...

by the grace of replay being down and a GREAT REF error we are ahead of SAN by one game. Otherwise we would be one game behind them and they are pissed waiting for us in DEC..

honz
10-21-2008, 08:40 PM
by the grace of replay being down and a GREAT REF error we are ahead of SAN by one game. Otherwise we would be one game behind them and they are pissed waiting for us in DEC..
...but we aren't.

BANJOPICKER1
10-21-2008, 08:50 PM

I think this post says it all, had we let things be, I think that we would already have a much improved D. Being a Bronco fan should mean we give things a few years but we want it now and that I think is a issue.:defense:

GOOOOOOOOO BRONCOS!!!!

Dreadnought
10-22-2008, 05:48 AM
What a disgraceful performance. The Thread Starter was right on the mark, and I'll add a few more

* For those who thought a pass rush would fix the D, the problem is far more serious than that. The rot is very deep.

* Andre Hall is on my shit list. Maybe someone can go to that Mall in Aurora and find out if Tatum has some free time on his hands.

* Has there ever been such a pair of abject stiffs starting at safety for an NFL team? Lowry is atrocious. They are an embarrassment.

* 4-3? 3-4? Does it matter? The scheme right now seems to be 10 incompetents plus Champ Bailey running around in circles.

* Cutler is regressing since week 4, and that may be the most worrisome sign of all.

* I have not been this angry over a game since a Halloween blowout at the hands of a very weak Colts team in the late 80's. I honest to God got hit with waves of nausea over the damned thing.

gobroncsnv
10-22-2008, 07:09 AM
Why is it that we have to settle for trying to find a Dlineman who can EITHER rush the passer OR play the run? Right now our guys can do NEITHER equally well. Our goal should be to find some who can do BOTH equally well. Get people with TALENT and you make the coaches look a lot smarter.

eessydo
10-22-2008, 09:14 AM
Why is it that we have to settle for trying to find a Dlineman who can EITHER rush the passer OR play the run? Right now our guys can do NEITHER equally well. Our goal should be to find some who can do BOTH equally well. Get people with TALENT and you make the coaches look a lot smarter.

Well said. Our defensive-line player philosophy is the same as our offensive line philosophy, undersized and quick. Doesn't work in this league except on 3rd and long passing situations. We don't see that very often because we get manhandled up front on 1rst and 2nd down while running the ball down our throats. We need some big strong bodies that can control their gaps and let our speed come from the LB core.

If we can get teams into third and long, guys like Dumervil become more effective rushing the passer.

Don't get me wrong, i don't dislike dumervil, he just has limited value as a pass rusher and we shouldn't be looking to find players in his mold just because he is our best defensive lineman. He is below average against the run, above average in 3rd and long, PERIOD.

SmilinAssasSin27
10-22-2008, 04:34 PM
What a disgraceful performance. The Thread Starter was right on the mark, and I'll add a few more

* For those who thought a pass rush would fix the D, the problem is far more serious than that. The rot is very deep.

* Andre Hall is on my shit list. Maybe someone can go to that Mall in Aurora and find out if Tatum has some free time on his hands.

* Has there ever been such a pair of abject stiffs starting at safety for an NFL team? Lowry is atrocious. They are an embarrassment.

* 4-3? 3-4? Does it matter? The scheme right now seems to be 10 incompetents plus Champ Bailey running around in circles.

* Cutler is regressing since week 4, and that may be the most worrisome sign of all.

* I have not been this angry over a game since a Halloween blowout at the hands of a very weak Colts team in the late 80's. I honest to God got hit with waves of nausea over the damned thing.

At least the Colts had Dickerson....

topscribe
10-22-2008, 04:49 PM

Don't agree.

1. Dumervil, Thomas, D.J. Williams, and Jack Williams are draft picks. Winborn
and Woodyard are among FAs. Champ, Bly, and Ekuban represent excellent
trades. We can get down on our talent over one game, or we can judge it
over several games. They have some holes at safety, MLB and depth at
DT. But to imply that they are inferior at all eleven positions is erroneous.

2. The idea is not to find a DC whose scheme fits the personnel. The idea
is to find a DC who can design the scheme around the personnel. The
Broncos threw one of the latter under the bus when they jettisoned Coyer.

I agree to a degree with JR, in that Shanny ought to concentrate on offense
and find a DC where he can all but ignore defense. You don't have to know
how to weld to supervise a welder, but you have better know how if you
are going to weld. Slowik impresses me as a kid who needs a sitter. Perhaps
a Nolan-type who doesn't need one could whip this defense into at least an
"average" one?

Oh yes, and throw the 3-4 under the bus . . .

-----

gobroncsnv
10-23-2008, 06:16 PM
and I've said many times before, Coyer had a pretty good defense WITHOUT a pass rush... I wish we could have seen what he could have done with a multi-tasking front 4. They played the run great, but couldn't get to a QB on a bet. Especially against P'burgh.