PDA

View Full Version : Predict who we will get in FA.

Agent of Orange
05-02-2011, 10:08 PM
Just like the title says. Too many permutations to make it a poll. Simply state the Broncos significant signings that you foresee and its on record.

In my mind, our own RFAs dont count but feel free to include Thomas and Harris if you want.

ForgettingBrandonMarshall
05-02-2011, 10:30 PM
I actually think that they will resign Thomas. Some people are going to pick two of the top DTs available in FA, but I don't see see us signing the checks it would take to convince them to come to our 4-12 team. The only selling point is they could be guaranteed a starting spot at this point.

So I will say they will get one good DT in FA in the addition to resigning Thomas. My choice in DT would first be Mebane because he's young and one of the best available. However, I see us going for Cofield. He was part of a good 4-3 D in NY, 27 years of age, and can help with the run (central part of that 8th ranked run defense).

Instead of signing 2 of the DT's in the top end of FA, I'd like to spend the money for one and use the money you'd spend on the other DT for a good RB. I'd like D Williams due to history with Fox and the fact that he's just good when he's healthy, but who knows.

Agent of Orange
05-02-2011, 10:45 PM
I'm going to predict that the Broncos end up with DeAngelo Williams and Marcus Spears.

SOCALORADO.
05-03-2011, 01:35 PM
More a FA "WISH LIST"
RB DeAngelo Williams
http://www.slymf.com/forum/attachments/851d1302387831-deangelo-williams-may-become-dolphin-deangelo_williams.jpg
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_gZYS-r9eqAk/TUZMB4qHt5I/AAAAAAAAACs/Hy4PC22W98g/s1600/DeAngeloWilliamsBroncos.jpg

I can hope, dangit!!!!! DT/DE Barry Cofield
http://www.nydailynews.com/img/2009/06/06/alg_cofield.jpg
http://www.nydailynews.com/img/2011/01/01/450x375-alg_barry_cofield_sack.jpg

DT/NT Mike Patterson
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_uPm6AbD8aL4/R79iZ1WsA-I/AAAAAAAAAZY/JAbMtkVFVVs/s320/patterson.jpg
http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/slides/photos/000/839/360/93539604_display_image.jpg?1302129966

G/C David Baas
http://prod.static.49ers.clubs.nfl.com/assets/images/imported/photos/2008_game_photos/49ers_vs_rams/david-baas--nfl_medium_540_360.jpg
http://prod.static.49ers.clubs.nfl.com/assets/images/imported/SF/photos/clubimages/2011/02-February/14-baas-phi-t--nfl_large_580_1000.jpg

Cugel
05-03-2011, 06:48 PM
Just like the title says. Too many permutations to make it a poll. Simply state the Broncos significant signings that you foresee and its on record.

In my mind, our own RFAs dont count but feel free to include Thomas and Harris if you want.

Will any top flight FA want to come to Denver? That's the question. Normally, bottom feeder teams have to substantially outbid every other team to get a FA to come there.

Will Denver be willing to pay more than, say, Dallas? Somebody like that?

Because that's what they're going to have to do.

Under Shanahan and McDaniels the Broncos were NOT willing to shell out big contracts to elite DT FAs. Hence they never signed any.

In fairness there WEREN'T very many such players who ever hit FA to begin with.

Hence we can confidently look forward to a VERY UNINSPIRING FA period where they sign the next Sam Adams or DeWayne Robertson. :coffee:

Cugel
05-03-2011, 06:50 PM
I'm going to predict that the Broncos end up with DeAngelo Williams and Marcus Spears.

DeAngelo Williams seems to be a lock. But Marcus Spears? They'd better do better than him!

(Not that I think they will).

Agent of Orange
05-03-2011, 06:59 PM
Will any top flight FA want to come to Denver? That's the question. Normally, bottom feeder teams have to substantially outbid every other team to get a FA to come there.

Will Denver be willing to pay more than, say, Dallas? Somebody like that?

Because that's what they're going to have to do.

Under Shanahan and McDaniels the Broncos were NOT willing to shell out big contracts to elite DT FAs. Hence they never signed any.

In fairness there WEREN'T very many such players who ever hit FA to begin with.

Hence we can confidently look forward to a VERY UNINSPIRING FA period where they sign the next Sam Adams or DeWayne Robertson. :coffee:

DeAngelo Williams seems to be a lock. But Marcus Spears? They'd better do better than him!

(Not that I think they will).

So, who do you think they will sign? You just wrote an essay on why its hard for Denver to sign top FA DTs and then you say Spears isn't the best.

Who do you think theyll sign?

Magnificent Seven
05-04-2011, 03:30 AM
DeAngelo Williams, Barry Cofield, and Tavaris Jackson.

It would be great if they got them. I like Tavaris Jackson for Tim Tebow's back up... If they traded Orton to somewhere.

ForgettingBrandonMarshall
05-04-2011, 03:36 AM

It would be great if they got them. I like Tavaris Jackson for Tim Tebow's back up... If they traded Orton to somewhere.

Agree with the first two, but I'd take someone who could actually throw the ball from the pocket as TT's backup over Jackson.

sneakers
05-04-2011, 06:32 AM
I have no idea.

Agent of Orange
05-04-2011, 08:12 AM

I thought about Orton to Minnesota until they drafted Ponder at 12.

SOCALORADO.
05-04-2011, 08:13 AM
I thought about Orton to Minnesota until they drafted Ponder at 12.

Rumor has it that MIN still might go after a veteran.

Agent of Orange
05-04-2011, 08:34 AM
Rumor has it that MIN still might go after a veteran.

I guess it makes sense. Theyre a QB away from having their window still open.

Juriga72
05-04-2011, 08:56 AM
I guess it makes sense. Theyre a QB away from having their window still open.

Not really IMHO.... The Vikes run D is starting to crack there.

2007- #1 74.1 ypg
2008-#1 76.9 ypg
2009-#2 87.1 ypg

2010- #9 102.2 ypg

thats a huge drop off and guess what... THEY didnt get any younger either.

You couldn't run on them, and then you had to pass into 8 guys every play.
NOW they are blitzing more and getting beat downfield.

TXBRONC
05-04-2011, 09:35 AM
Not really IMHO.... The Vikes run D is starting to crack there.

2007- #1 74.1 ypg
2008-#1 76.9 ypg
2009-#2 87.1 ypg

2010- #9 102.2 ypg

thats a huge drop off and guess what... THEY didnt get any younger either.

You couldn't run on them, and then you had to pass into 8 guys every play.
NOW they are blitzing more and getting beat downfield.

The Williams boys are getting pretty long in the tooth so I don't to surprising that their starting to show cracks.

SmilinAssasSin27
05-04-2011, 08:33 PM
DeAngelo Williams
Kevin Boss
DT-No idea who, but hopefully Mebane. Cofield is close 2nd, followed by Patterson

tomjonesrocks
05-05-2011, 05:38 AM
DeAngelo Williams seems to be a lock.

I haven't read anything that definitive on Williams...was there a story on this that contained more than fan speculation?

No question despite the health problems would be a big upgrade over Moreno.

SOCALORADO.
05-05-2011, 08:36 AM
I haven't read anything that definitive on Williams...was there a story on this that contained more than fan speculation?

Theres been a number of small comments about him and his link to Fox.
I dont know this for fact, but i think Fox and DeAngelo already have been in discussions for a while now. At least i am hoepful that this is the case.
We'll see....

TXBRONC
05-05-2011, 08:45 AM

Same here I haven't read anything indicates that he's coming other than what fans have speculated just because Williams played for Fox in Carolina.

It might give Denver a leg up on landing Williams if they interested in him but I wouldn't bet the farm on it.

BigDaddyBronco
05-05-2011, 08:53 AM
They didn't draft a RB, so there might be some truth to it.

SOCALORADO.
05-05-2011, 09:00 AM
They didn't draft a RB, so there might be some truth to it.

Hoping, Big daddy.
They cant possibly go into next season with the RBs on this roster.
Talk about a mess.
DWill gives them a true, super star calibur RB with world class speed.
And speed kills in this league.

Lonestar
05-05-2011, 11:18 AM
Did y'all ever think that we do not have to have NOR can we afford all of the elite talent everyone is talking about.

This is a team game, having a roster full of elite (read headcases) talent does not foster the TEAM aspect that we should be looking for.

I'm not sayIng that having one here or there is bad just can't afford to have one or more at each position/group.

tomjonesrocks
05-05-2011, 12:16 PM
I'd already be worried about the shelf life of Williams if we were planning on breaking the bank for him. He's already had a couple thousand yard years and has had injuries.

Would take him in a SECOND over Moreno and would be glad to have him, but RBs don't last that long--might not be wise to blow the whole budget on him.

Wish actually we could get Moreno's first-round salary completely off the books. Plenty of UDFA RBs could equal his production if given the same opportunity.

SOCALORADO.
05-05-2011, 12:22 PM
I'd already be worried about the shelf life of Williams if we were planning on breaking the bank for him. He's already had a couple thousand yard years and has had injuries.

Would take him in a SECOND over Moreno and would be glad to have him, but RBs don't last that long--might not be wise to blow the whole budget on him.

Wish actually we could get Moreno's first-round salary completely off the books. Plenty of UDFA RBs could equal his production if given the same opportunity.

I think DeAngelo only has 2-3 more good years in him.
Hes still a Pro Bowl calibur RB with incredible skill set though.
Hes as good as he ever was, but he will cost DEN some coin.
But DEN desperately needs a running game.
Helps TT, and helps the defense.