05-02-2011, 10:36 AM
Under ticket replay - http://www.denverssportsstation.com/

Denver Native (Carol)
05-02-2011, 04:25 PM
Broncos GM Brian Xanders on the draft

http://www.1043thefan.com/channels/MikeEvansScottHastings/Story.aspx?ID=1411208

T.K.O.
05-02-2011, 04:52 PM
did you guys catch the "near slip" when Elway was talking about orlando being able to do a great job protecting Ti.......T......uh the quarterback ?:laugh:

Agent of Orange
05-02-2011, 04:54 PM
did you guys catch the "near slip" when Elway was talking about orlando being able to do a great job protecting Ti.......T......uh the quarterback ?:laugh:

Nice catch. But even if he had said Tim Tebow, that wouldnt automtically mean Tebow is the starter. He could be talking about the possibility of Tebow starting.

T.K.O.
05-02-2011, 04:57 PM
Nice catch. But even if he had said Tim Tebow, that wouldnt automtically mean Tebow is the starter. He could be talking about the possibility of Tebow starting.

yeah i know, but it is no coincidence that we have a new lefty QB on the roster and a huge draft priority turned out to be RT.....let's just say it did'nt give quinn or orton the warm fuzzies when that happened;)

TXBRONC
05-02-2011, 05:32 PM

I didn't catch it.

topscribe
05-02-2011, 05:33 PM

Of course, Vic's and Gary's had just asked about how the RT affects a "left-
handed quarterback," so what would that make Elway think of? What would
that make you think of? Elway didn't just fish that out of the blue . . .

-----

topscribe
05-02-2011, 05:35 PM
I didn't catch it.

It did happen, but Elway didn't stutter twice, as indicated by TKO. And, as I
said, that happened after Elway was asked about an issue involving a left-
handed QB.

-----

TXBRONC
05-02-2011, 05:38 PM
It did happen, but Elway didn't stutter twice, as indicated by TKO. And, as I
said, that happened after Elway was asked about an issue involving a left-
handed QB.

-----

I don't deny it I was more focused on other things. :D

topscribe
05-02-2011, 05:39 PM
yeah i know, but it is no coincidence that we have a new lefty QB on the roster and a huge draft priority turned out to be RT.....let's just say it did'nt give quinn or orton the warm fuzzies when that happened;)

Really? What does Franklin have to do with a left-handed QB, when the
Broncos already have Harris if they want him? Harris' issue was not pass
blocking. He excelled at that when he was healthy. Run blocking was Harris'
weakness, which is Franklin's strength. Ironically, pass blocking is Franklin's
weakness. So how does Franklin translate into protecting a lefty's backside?

So, when Elway made it clear that whether the QB was right- or left-handed
had nothing to do with it, I believe him, considering the strengths and
weaknesses of the respective RTs . . .

-----

T.K.O.
05-02-2011, 05:57 PM
did'nt mean to ruffle feathers,just noting that elway almost slipped while pretending Tebow was'nt first in line for the starting spot.
harris could be a free agent and has injury concerns....when you have a lefty at QB you cant have a ? at RT:salute:

TXBRONC
05-02-2011, 06:05 PM
did'nt mean to ruffle feathers,just noting that elway almost slipped while pretending Tebow was'nt first in line for the starting spot.
harris could be a free agent and has injury concerns....when you have a lefty at QB you cant have a ? at RT:salute:

It didn't ruffle my feathers. :salute:

Agent of Orange
05-02-2011, 06:08 PM

I think it might have more to do with John Fox trying to find his new Otah.

TXBRONC
05-02-2011, 06:37 PM
I think it might have more to do with John Fox trying to find his new Otah.

Well were going to be in need of a new right tackle. Every indication that I have seen is that the Broncos had come to the conclusion that Harris was coming back.

Lonestar
05-02-2011, 08:58 PM
Really? What does Franklin have to do with a left-handed QB, when the
Broncos already have Harris if they want him? Harris' issue was not pass
weakness, which is Franklin's strength. Ironically, pass blocking is Franklin's
weakness. So how does Franklin translate into protecting a lefty's backside?
So, when Elway made it clear that whether the QB was right- or left-handed
had nothing to do with it, I believe him, considering the strengths and
weaknesses of the respective RTs . .
Harris' was staying on the field played in just a bit more than 50% of the games he could have.
I suspect that in many of those he did not play to pontentual because of injuries.

Not sure now many games he played hurt.

The only reason the OL got better when he got back was the ability of the others to play in their natural spots.

HORSEPOWER 56
05-02-2011, 09:34 PM
Let's not forget that if all stays as is, Harris is a RFA who we've already placed a tender on so he probably won't be going anywhere. Unless the new CBA changes the free agency rules, Harris will be a Bronco next year, anyway.

Another thing to consider is that the longer the offseason progresses with a lockout and not FA/OTAs/TCs, the smaller the chance that any of our rookies will be starting this year.

I don't care if Von Miller really is a special talent, he won't start week one (whenever that is) if he doesn't know the playbook. That goes for all of the rookies and possibly Tebow, too.

TXBRONC
05-02-2011, 09:48 PM
Let's not forget that if all stays as is, Harris is a RFA who we've already placed a tender on so he probably won't be going anywhere. Unless the new CBA changes the free agency rules, Harris will be a Bronco next year, anyway.

Another thing to consider is that the longer the offseason progresses with a lockout and not FA/OTAs/TCs, the smaller the chance that any of our rookies will be starting this year.

I don't care if Von Miller really is a special talent, he won't start week one (whenever that is) if he doesn't know the playbook. That goes for all of the rookies and possibly Tebow, too.

Agreed, Miller and the others wouldn't be starting but I can't imagine them not trying get him on the field as much as possible on passing downs. That is of course assuming a protracted lockout.

Denver Native (Carol)
05-02-2011, 10:34 PM

I would assume the playbook is totally new to all players, with a new HC, new assistant coaches, etc.

Superchop 7
05-02-2011, 10:40 PM
Same offensive system.

I'm not even sure Franklin can make the transition to RT.

BroncoStud
05-02-2011, 10:48 PM
Orton has value NOW, if he goes out and stinks it up he has NO value then. He doesn't perform well under pressure and there will be enormous pressure with Tebow sitting behind him on the bench and 99% of the fans wanting Tebow to play.

Smart money says that Elway gets a deal done for Orton as soon as he possibly can. There is no good alternative. Orton only has a 1 year deal.

Agent of Orange
05-02-2011, 10:51 PM
Orton has value NOW, if he goes out and stinks it up he has NO value then. He doesn't perform well under pressure and there will be enormous pressure with Tebow sitting behind him on the bench and 99% of the fans wanting Tebow to play.

Smart money says that Elway gets a deal done for Orton as soon as he possibly can. There is no good alternative. Orton only has a 1 year deal.

Yeah, but there is some value in waiting for training camp in case a QB on another team gets injured. I agree with you but it could also work out if you wait and someone gets injured. You have a lot of leverage if that happens.

ForgettingBrandonMarshall
05-02-2011, 10:59 PM
Same offensive system.

I'm not even sure Franklin can make the transition to RT.

I know he was listed as a guard, but he did play some RT. Broncos wouldn't have drafted him if they didn't think he could play RT from what they saw from the tape of him playing RT.

Lonestar
05-02-2011, 11:24 PM
HP I think your wrong about Harris. He Might still be on the team but he will never last the year.
I doubt that they would have drafted the newbie if they had any confidence in him. at least as high as they did considering they would have had higher priorities

Someone commented that the offensive scheme is the same

Not sure how they are going in operate the zbs into the running game without changing schemes and playbooks.

Curious minds want to know.

Ziggy
05-03-2011, 01:04 AM
Von Miller has the playbook. I have no doubt that he'll share it with his fellow rookies.

T.K.O.
05-03-2011, 10:34 AM
Von Miller has the playbook. I have no doubt that he'll share it with his fellow rookies.

watch for some big dudes hanging around your local kinkos !:D
i was just wondering why the teams did'nt have copies of the playbook wrapped up in priority envelopes with the addresses of their picks,and dump them in a mailbox as they were drafted....the lockout was off ?
should have been legal to send packages on saturday and once they are in the mail.....:confused:

topscribe
05-03-2011, 10:58 AM
Harris' was staying on the field played in just a bit more than 50% of the games he could have.
I suspect that in many of those he did not play to pontentual because of injuries.

Not sure now many games he played hurt.

The only reason the OL got better when he got back was the ability of the others to play in their natural spots.

The others were able to play in their natural spots because Harris was good
enough to pick up the slack in his. I'm not saying he's the second coming of
Orlando Pace, but he is competent enough in pass blocking that I don't believe
the Broncos can spare him, at least this year.

While Franklin is undoubtedly superior in blocking for the run, I don't think
anyone knows for sure how he will do in pass blocking. If Franklin is to start,
I believe he will have to do it at RT. When Elway individually named off the
starters on the O-line a couple weeks ago (except Harris, interestingly), he
gave me the impression that the other positions are pretty well set, except
for depth.

Which gives me the idea that Franklin will NOT be a first year starter. I just
don't believe Harris is going anywhere this year . . .

-----

TXBRONC
05-03-2011, 11:23 AM
Maybe I've got it wrong from Elway said it sounded like they were already counting on Franklin to be the starter at right tackle.

GEM
05-03-2011, 11:30 AM
Franklin said in an interview that when he spoke with the front office the day they drafted him, he was told that he would be a Day 1 starter. :shrugs: They were playing the sound bite during sports breaks.

topscribe
05-03-2011, 11:38 AM
Maybe I've got it wrong from Elway said it sounded like they were already counting on Franklin to be the starter at right tackle.

I'm sure they're hoping, as am I, of course. It's just that I thought I saw where
Franklin has had some problems with speed rushers. But maybe I don't recall it
correctly -- I, we, have been through reading about and viewing a lot of players
lately. But, boy howdy, would I love to see "Big Nasty" destroying defenders at
the RT spot!

-----

rcsodak
05-03-2011, 01:13 PM

TT was behing KO all of last season, of which KO was dazzling the league. Not sure where this added pressure is coming from.

rcsodak
05-03-2011, 01:14 PM
HP I think your wrong about Harris. He Might still be on the team but he will never last the year.
I doubt that they would have drafted the newbie if they had any confidence in him. at least as high as they did considering they would have had higher priorities

Someone commented that the offensive scheme is the same

Not sure how they are going in operate the zbs into the running game without changing schemes and playbooks.

Curious minds want to know.
If you believe what he said, McD ran ALOT of zbs.

vandammage13
05-03-2011, 01:36 PM
TT was behing KO all of last season, of which KO was dazzling the league. Not sure where this added pressure is coming from.

Orton played well the first half of the year, but even leaving the final few starts out, i wouldn't call his play "dazzling."

topscribe
05-03-2011, 01:42 PM

Where Fox and Elway are feeling the pressure is from 4-12. If they can turn
that around, all of fandom will be happy, no matter what the last name of the
QB is . . . except for the Gator transplants and other Tebow groupies, of course.

But Stud's 99% figure is extreme hyperbole. A relatively recent poll in the DP
indicated about 2/3 wanted Tebow, not 99%. I admit it is not a scientific poll
by any means, but it should be somewhat indicative.

I think most of us just want the best player in the position, and I know that
is what Fox and Elway want . . .

-----

Shananahan
05-03-2011, 06:14 PM
Harris' issue was not pass
weakness
This just isn't true. Harris' weakness was staying healthy period. When he was healthy, Denver was able to run the ball very effectively behind the right side. In my opinion he was better at run blocking than pass blocking when he wasn't injured.

topscribe
05-03-2011, 06:19 PM
This just isn't true. Harris' weakness was staying healthy period. When he was healthy, Denver was able to run the ball very effectively behind the right side. In my opinion he was better at run blocking than pass blocking when he wasn't injured.

Have you thought of taking lessons in diplomacy?

At any rate, you are correct in that Harris' greatest weakness was staying
healthy. That, however, was not the focus of my comment. It was his
performance when he was on the field.

I also agree that, when healthy, Harris did not have any glaring weaknesses.
What I might have more appropriately said was that his pass blocking was
stronger than his run blocking. I don't believe he was particularly bad in either.

-----

TXBRONC
05-03-2011, 06:25 PM

I wouldn't want to live on the difference between his run blocking and pass blocking. In '08 he only gave up a couple of sacks for the entire season. It's also pretty obvious imho that the line play in both run and pass improved when he was in the line up at the end of the year.