PDA

View Full Version : The Elway Factor?

Agent of Orange
05-01-2011, 06:01 PM
Is it real or imagined? Does it matter to draftees when Elway is there to shake their hands and introduce them? Does it make them more aware of the history of the teams and expectations for winning? Or is all of this imagined?

Another thing I couldnt help but think about is watching Elway in all the interviews talk about going through the process and thinking back to Woody Paige talking about how Elway wouldnt want to get too involved in under the hood things. But it seems like thats exactly what he was doing this weekend. It was quite pleasing to see him put the time in and become involved like it truly mattered to him. Its also a nice reflection of how, even though he's an executive, he knows players is what makes the whole thing work.

It also seems like his level of involvement is bridging the gap between bowlen and what happens on the field. The value in having a HOFer doing what Elway has been doing seems immeasurable. Elway understand issues related to the makeup of the team and Bowlen will listen to Elway.

This move was met with a lot of scrutiny but its hard not to look at how it worked out as mostly positive (even though a DT would have been nice). It seems like even in his current role, its like he is still the QB in some way. Xanders spoke numerous times of how this draft was way more collaborative--leadership. I guess thats why they call him "the Duke".

This franchise, though not without flaw, has a totall different feel. Ive appreciated how Elway has been willing to put his name on the line to help the organization. But this thing could have gone down a road far worse than this.

Am I wrong here? Has anyone else shared these observations? Is the Elway Factor real or imagined?

Superchop 7
05-01-2011, 07:01 PM
I appreciate his tweets and Facebook, and although I ripped him a new one for the draft.......I am glad he is there.

Denver Native (Carol)
05-01-2011, 07:36 PM
For 16 seasons, John Elway stood under center for the Broncos, play calls and defensive formations racing through his mind as he watched the play clock tick down before calling for “Hut!”

Now the Broncos top football executive, Elway got the same juice in the draft room this weekend as he got on the field.

“I did. I was excited,” Elway said at the conclusion of the draft Saturday night. “I felt like I was playing a football game. I think that’s why I was exhausted every night when I left.”

Elway came back to the Broncos in an official role in January because he missed the juice of professional football. He wanted the challenge of running a team, the type of camaraderie you only find in a locker room, and after picking nine players — along with his new teammates John Fox and Brian Xanders — Elway on Saturday had that same post-win glow he often got as a player.

Elway said he often found himself behaving like he did during his playing days, pacing around the room, just as he did in the locker room before games or on the sidelines while the defense was on the field. The most excitement came, he said, when the “phones got hot” in the second round as the Broncos were fielding multiple trade offers. (The Broncos ended up swapping picks with San Francisco, who moved up to take a quarterback. Denver picked up two extra selections in the deal).

“You look at your board and it gets close to your pick who you want, and you’re hoping they fall to where you want, it’s a little bit – I mean, I was up pacing, walking around, hoping the guy we want would fall to where we wanted it too,” Elway said.

http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2011/05/01/first-draft-left-elway-exhilerated/7465/

Dzone
05-01-2011, 07:43 PM
I think it is damn cool that he was working his ass off and putting in the long hours to really know what he was getting. The 2011 bronco draft gets an A-

Agent of Orange
05-01-2011, 07:49 PM
I think it is damn cool that he was working his ass off and putting in the long hours to really know what he was getting. The 2011 bronco draft gets an A-

Same here. I really wasnt expecting this level of involvement. It bodes well for the franchise in the future to have Elway as the guy who ties it all together from multiple perspectives. Everyone listens to him from players to owner. But seeing him this weekend was a pleasant reminder of how he was such a good leader of mean and how people he makes people get behind a cause. It's awesome really. And seeing him roll up his sleeves in a way that was unexpected just added to it. I think it means something to the scouts and everyone in that process to have Elway involved and to be relied on for input. I think his presence make people feel like it matters more. Some people are just like that. Elway was one of them (so is Tebow actually but lets keep this on Elway).

I think its cool that he really didnt draft anyone per se but, instead, coordinated the effort to see that it was done well. Its nice to see someone who truly values team, especially since it was empty rhetoric with the previous guy.

Denver Native (Carol)
05-01-2011, 08:08 PM
From day one, when John joined the Broncos' brass, you knew he was 100% committed. When different sportscasters interviewed him, he stated that he would come in early, and leave late. He was on all of the recruiting trips, pro day workouts, he was in on every aspect of preparing the draft, etc. Believe me - he is 100% committed. He has said he loves the Broncos, loves the city - this is not for show - he truly means it.

Elway: "It has been a great three days. We looked at the board and what we got out of this draft-I think we are really happy with it. I think we got guys that can come in and help us right away and also got some good depth and created some good competition. So, I personally am excited about it. I think one of the things that I am even more excited about is how the whole team worked. I think as far as the scouts as well as (General Manager) Brian (Xanders') team with personnel with (Director of College Scouting) Matt Russell and (Director of Pro Personnel) Keith Kidd-and (Head Coach) John (Fox), myself and Brian. I was really happy with the whole process. I really feel like we came out of it-we discussed a lot of different things and we all came out of it unanimous on who is going to be the next guy. It was a great process and I think it worked well. I am really proud of it-especially when you look at the guys that we got. We really feel like they can come in and help us, so for me, with this being my first draft, I feel very good coming out of it."

rest of article - Elway, Xanders, Fox talking about draft - good article
http://www.milehighreport.com/2011/4/30/2146509/2011-nfl-draft-john-elway-brian-xanders-and-john-fox-react-to-denver

KCL
05-01-2011, 08:31 PM
I watched Elway play for years...it's fitting that he should be a big part of the Broncos in this way...loved seeing DT get after him but I did enjoy watching him even though he always handed it to the Chiefs...:mad: :lol:

except on MNF when Montana pulled an Elway and got in done in the
last few seconds of that game. :D

SmilinAssasSin27
05-01-2011, 09:38 PM
I watched Elway play for years...it's fitting that he should be a big part of the Broncos in this way...loved seeing DT get after him but I did enjoy watching him even though he always handed it to the Chiefs...:mad: :lol:

except on MNF when Montana pulled an Elway and got in done in the
last few seconds of that game. :D

At least he got Neal Smith a ring...:hi:

KCL
05-01-2011, 10:08 PM
At least he got Neal Smith a ring...:hi:

And I was happy for Neil....:D

jhildebrand
05-01-2011, 10:17 PM
I don't care what draftees think BUT I do care if it helps with FA's.