PDA

View Full Version : Many of Denver Broncos' draft picks can create turnovers

Denver Native (Carol)
05-01-2011, 02:58 PM
When all was said and done in this year's NFL draft, the Broncos had six defensive players among their nine picks. The common thread among most of those defensive players: They create turnovers.

"I've always believed defense in this league is about taking the ball away," Broncos coach John Fox said. "Turnovers either result in points off the board or points on the board."

full article - http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_17967686

Montana Battlin Bear
05-01-2011, 03:13 PM
Something we're really not used to seeing.

MileHighCrew
05-01-2011, 03:38 PM
creating turnovers...:confused:. Isn't that something other teams do????:shocked:

OrangeHoof
05-01-2011, 03:45 PM
It was true last year too. Tebow, by himself, created several turnovers...

gobroncsnv
05-01-2011, 04:08 PM
Well, yeah, I remember a few years back, probbly when the Browncos ruled the earth, one of our games a LB intercepted a pass, and the announcers had to stop and make a comment, as in that hadn't happened in a game in a long while. We still don't do much in aking the ball go the other way often enough. If what the thread is about holds true, that will be quite a sea change in our team's stats. but no doubt, a welcome one.

Agent of Orange
05-01-2011, 04:16 PM
I hate to be an "I told you so" guy but this is something I spoke of more than once over the past couple of days.

If you couple someone like Miller with someone like Dumervil, that goes hand in hand with a ball hawking safety.

What people dont realize is that by having two guys who can get after the passer, it becomes harder to block either of them. It becomes harder to give help without limiting your passing game and also, when you have two guys like that, one guy can either pressure the QB into mistakes or make him scramble around long enough for the other guy to get to him. Just because a QB is able to step up into the pocket to avoid Miller, that doesnt mean he's going to escape Doom. And this constant pressure--ney, this constant threat of pressure-- forces bad throws...and thats where a ball hawking safety comes in.

That article did a good job of pointing our forced fumbles too though.

gobroncsnv
05-01-2011, 04:30 PM
here again, with you all along, AO... a one trick pony defense can be dealt with... we have to have serious ability all across the front to get this defense out of bottom 15, let alone last place every year.

Agent of Orange
05-01-2011, 04:38 PM
here again, with you all along, AO... a one trick pony defense can be dealt with... we have to have serious ability all across the front to get this defense out of bottom 15, let alone last place every year.

Yeah, having a defense that can a) get off the field on 3rd and 3 (or more) or b) generates turnovers, will go a long way toward improving the defense.

Northman
05-01-2011, 04:50 PM
Well, depending on what happens in FA its going to be extremely important to stop the run if we are going to have success in the long run. But its easy to see with the current talent that we should win a few games by some of the playmaking ability of the guys we drafted.

Agent of Orange
05-01-2011, 04:56 PM
Well, depending on what happens in FA its going to be extremely important to stop the run if we are going to have success in the long run. But its easy to see with the current talent that we should win a few games by some of the playmaking ability of the guys we drafted.

Yeah, it would be ideal if we could also add a FA DT to stop the run, but 3rd downs and TOs are also huge. By getting off the field on 3rd down, you decrease the opponents rushing yards.