PDA

View Full Version : Krieger: Lot to do to undo McD's doings

Denver Native (Carol)
05-01-2011, 08:05 AM
Some things from article:

When Josh McDaniels arrived at Dove Valley in January 2009, his main priority was to undo much of his predecessor's handiwork. In a matter of minutes, or so it seemed, the core of Mike Shanahan's offense was on its way out the door and had to be replaced.

A little more than two years later, a new regime has begun the same process. This time, the wrecking ball is aimed at McDaniels' architecture.

"We are making a switch to a 4-3," coach John Fox said. "So we need more speed at linebacker. One of the main criteria of this draft was to get faster on defense. We felt like that was a deficiency."

When the new regime talked about the team's many needs, it reflected in part last season's 4-12 record. But it also reflected the requirements of the new schemes. That's why it didn't seem that concerned about its failure to address the obvious need at defensive tackle. To the new architects, the needs of the new design are just as obvious.

full article - interesting as to why they drafted like they did

http://www.denverpost.com/krieger/ci_17967665

TXBRONC
05-01-2011, 08:16 AM
I think Fox has a better idea of what to do than his predecessor did.

Northman
05-01-2011, 08:18 AM

Yea, lets hope so. Experience should be key here but you never know. But, we do know there is a lot more work to be done now than after 08' that much is for certain.

TXBRONC
05-01-2011, 08:28 AM
Yea, lets hope so. Experience should be key here but you never know. But, we do know there is a lot more work to be done now than after 08' that much is for certain.

What I took from the article was that Elway and Co. were more appalled at what McDaniels did at linebacker and safety than at defensive line. It also is a resounding hell no to we were headed in the right direction.

claymore
05-01-2011, 08:50 AM
What I took from the article was that Elway and Co. Were more appalled at what McDaniels did at linebacker and safety than at defensive line. It also is a resounding hell no to we were headed in the right direction.

Id like to see Elway Hay maker the shit out of McDaniels for what he did to this team.

Benetto
05-01-2011, 09:37 AM
Id like to see Elway Hay maker the shit out of McDaniels for what he did to this team.

I would like to see Hillis Haymaker the shit out of him, then take his wife to dinner and a movie.

HORSEPOWER 56
05-01-2011, 09:48 AM
It's a decent article. Not much in there that Fox or Elway didn't already divulge in pressers. I understand the need to get faster at LB moving back to the 4-3, and we do still have DJ and Woodyard who really are 4-3 OLBs.

I'd love to bring back that wicked LB corps with Miller, Irving, and Williams/Woodyard flying around laying bitches out. Hopefully it comes to fruition.

Anyone else here hope Woodyard gets the nod over DJ at WLB? I'm kinda hoping we trade DJ and his big contract for d-linemen. He's really soiled his reputation in my eyes with his 2 DUIs and I think he needs to go. No draft picks, either. Now that the draft is over, I want players.

Northman
05-01-2011, 10:05 AM
I would like to see Hillis Haymaker the shit out of him, then take his wife to dinner and a movie.

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2004-7/764687/browns-peyton-hillis-madden-12-custom-cover2.jpg

Ravage!!!
05-01-2011, 10:09 AM
I like Woodyard, but I don't think he's shown as much as many believe around here. DJ isn't great,but he's more than solid. He's good. He's the guy that has done WELL no matter where we've put him, and what we've asked of him. So I'm not one that HOPES DJ is replaced by Woodyard.

I Eat Staples
05-01-2011, 10:42 AM
DJ Williams' best position is WLB. He's on the decline but we can still get a solid year or two out of him IMO. I'm not very high on Woodyard at all, he's more of a ST player and depth at LB. Not starter material.

TXBRONC
05-01-2011, 11:13 AM

Nah that would be like beating a hamster to death with a baseball bat.

BigDaddyBronco
05-01-2011, 11:23 AM

At least defensively. We'll see on offense. I mean McD made Orton look like a decent QB.

TXBRONC
05-01-2011, 05:37 PM
At least defensively. We'll see on offense. I mean McD made Orton look like a decent QB.

I think McCoy did ok calling plays considering he had never called plays before.

BeefStew25
05-01-2011, 05:39 PM
Exciting times, men!

Lonestar
05-02-2011, 03:46 PM
It's a decent article. Not much in there that Fox or Elway didn't already divulge in pressers. I understand the need to get faster at LB moving back to the 4-3, and we do still have DJ and Woodyard who really are 4-3 OLBs.

I'd love to bring back that wicked LB corps with Miller, Irving, and Williams/Woodyard flying around laying bitches out. Hopefully it comes to fruition.

Anyone else here hope Woodyard gets the nod over DJ at WLB? I'm kinda hoping we trade DJ and his big contract for d-linemen. He's really soiled his reputation in my eyes with his 2 DUIs and I think he needs to go. No draft picks, either. Now that the draft is over, I want players.

I've never been all that impressed with DJ. When he has played HIs best and got lots of tackles the majority of them whet chasing someOne down from behind after a 2-3 yard gain.

I'd have rather had him rather than gold playing WLB. But other than that I could very easily dump that fat contract.
Is woodyard as good as he is probably not, but the price differential miss that an easy trade.

TXBRONC
05-02-2011, 05:05 PM
I've never been all that impressed with DJ. When he has played HIs best and got lots of tackles the majority of them whet chasing someOne down from behind after a 2-3 yard gain.

I'd have rather had him rather than gold playing WLB. But other than that I could very easily dump that fat contract.
Is woodyard as good as he is probably not, but the price differential miss that an easy trade.

I think EFX is more interested in putting the best players out there not necessarily the cheapest.

G_Money
05-02-2011, 05:42 PM
I was yelling and screaming for us to draft Woodyard on draft day when he was still there in the 4th. My comments on Larsen, IIRC, were "WHY IS HE NOT WOODYARD?" :lol: so I'm not un-biased.

I think Woodyard is a more instinctive player than DJ, but DJ at Will would finally be back at the only position he's ever excelled at.

Woodyard's a better citizen and leader than DJ. DJ's never been a good leader - he let other guys do that in college and in the pros, and when he took over the locker room from John Lynch he flubbed it.

One of the reasons we got Dawkins, actually.

I would be fine with DJ and his DUI dumbass self wandering off. I think Woodyard will surprise a lot of people if he gets to start for us. And if he backs up DJ then that's okay too - give him a year to show if he CAN do what I think he can do, at least in practice, before we move DJ.

I do not believe we'll be keeping DJ through the length of his contract.

I do agree that there was a LOT of work to do on the talent here - and I think we made a good stab at it rounds 1-7. This defense will NOT look like the last half-decade's teams. The amount of pressure players we got are astounding. The number of team captains, first-team AP guys, players of the year in their conferences...

The defense is not gonna lack for guys who understand the team concept. It's not gonna lack for speed and pursuit (in fact, over-pursuit is gonna be something to scream about at least a couple of times this year, I'm sure).

And for the first time in a long time we might not be the least-talented defense in the league, especially once if you were to examine the 10 starters not named Champ.

We need to fix the DT situation. Fox knows it's a big deal - DTs are a large part of what he does. But if Von, Quinton and Irving are what we think they could be it could be a huge shot in the arm. Heck, Moore and Beal could make it an excess of riches.

Odds are there are about 3 guys in this draft who are gonna be consistent starters for us, even if it's a good draft.

But we added Cutler, Scheffler, Marshall, Dumervil AND Kuper in 2006, all of whom are still starting or part of a good rotation in the league, and several of whom have been pro bowlers. It DOES happen, and we could very well replicate that sort of success this year.

We gave ourselves a very good shot at it, and by not drafting a DT (which could take a few years to show results) we may get more immediate impact from all the guys we did take. The biggest bust postion in the draft is Defensive Tackle. It just is. We took safer positions with better chances of not bombing.

We hated our LBs and our safety situations, and IMO we fixed both positions very well. There's a lot of work to do to fix this team. If these guys are good - if we got even THREE competent starters who can last past their rookie contracts - we can start to turn this thing around.

We wanted playmakers. I hope we got em - and that we fix the DL so that they can show off their playmaking skills.

~G

TXBRONC
05-02-2011, 06:31 PM
I was yelling and screaming for us to draft Woodyard on draft day when he was still there in the 4th. My comments on Larsen, IIRC, were "WHY IS HE NOT WOODYARD?" :lol: so I'm not un-biased.

I think Woodyard is a more instinctive player than DJ, but DJ at Will would finally be back at the only position he's ever excelled at.

Woodyard's a better citizen and leader than DJ. DJ's never been a good leader - he let other guys do that in college and in the pros, and when he took over the locker room from John Lynch he flubbed it.

One of the reasons we got Dawkins, actually.

I would be fine with DJ and his DUI dumbass self wandering off. I think Woodyard will surprise a lot of people if he gets to start for us. And if he backs up DJ then that's okay too - give him a year to show if he CAN do what I think he can do, at least in practice, before we move DJ.

I do not believe we'll be keeping DJ through the length of his contract.

I do agree that there was a LOT of work to do on the talent here - and I think we made a good stab at it rounds 1-7. This defense will NOT look like the last half-decade's teams. The amount of pressure players we got are astounding. The number of team captains, first-team AP guys, players of the year in their conferences...

The defense is not gonna lack for guys who understand the team concept. It's not gonna lack for speed and pursuit (in fact, over-pursuit is gonna be something to scream about at least a couple of times this year, I'm sure).

And for the first time in a long time we might not be the least-talented defense in the league, especially once if you were to examine the 10 starters not named Champ.

We need to fix the DT situation. Fox knows it's a big deal - DTs are a large part of what he does. But if Von, Quinton and Irving are what we think they could be it could be a huge shot in the arm. Heck, Moore and Beal could make it an excess of riches.

Odds are there are about 3 guys in this draft who are gonna be consistent starters for us, even if it's a good draft.

But we added Cutler, Scheffler, Marshall, Dumervil AND Kuper in 2006, all of whom are still starting or part of a good rotation in the league, and several of whom have been pro bowlers. It DOES happen, and we could very well replicate that sort of success this year.

We gave ourselves a very good shot at it, and by not drafting a DT (which could take a few years to show results) we may get more immediate impact from all the guys we did take. The biggest bust postion in the draft is Defensive Tackle. It just is. We took safer positions with better chances of not bombing.

We hated our LBs and our safety situations, and IMO we fixed both positions very well. There's a lot of work to do to fix this team. If these guys are good - if we got even THREE competent starters who can last past their rookie contracts - we can start to turn this thing around.

We wanted playmakers. I hope we got em - and that we fix the DL so that they can show off their playmaking skills.

~G

The linebackers we had for the most part were too big and slow to be linebackers in a 4-3 according to what read in the DP just recently. I do give EFX credit for making a concerted effort to get playmakers on the field and it looks like they have attempted to do that without reaching.