PDA

View Full Version : Grade the 2008 Broncos NFL Draft

UnderArmour
04-30-2011, 10:32 PM
Seeing as how it is foolish to grade a draft from a year ago and barely sensible to grade a draft from 2 years ago, here is our draft class from 3 years ago. I posted a thread like this for our 2007 draft last year at this same time because it really puts things in perspective. What are your thoughts on this draft class?

1 12 (12) Player Video Ryan Clady T Boise State
2 11 (42) Player Video Eddie Royal WR Virginia Tech
4 9 (108) Kory Lichtensteiger C Bowling Green
4 20 (119) Jack Williams CB Kent State
5 4 (139) Ryan Torain RB Arizona State
5 13 (148) Player Video Carlton Powell DT Virginia Tech
6 17 (183) Player Video Spencer Larsen OLB Arizona
7 13 (220) Josh Barrett S Arizona State
7 20 (227) Player Video Peyton Hillis FB Arkansas

I would rate this draft class at a solid A(not A-). This is purely based on the players who were drafted and the grade does not take into account future transactions, only on the field contributions.

Here's why:

Ryan Torain and Peyton Hillis have been solid contributors in the NFL. Ryan Clady is an All Pro Offensive Tackle when healthy. Eddie Royal is a solid starter but not a pro bowler. Kory Lichensteiger started for the Redskins last year. Josh Barrett was a decent special teamer for a few years so his value in the 7th round fits. Jack Williams was a bust as was Carlton Powell, but every other player is still on an NFL roster and has contributed to their teams.

Thoughts?

BroncoWave
04-30-2011, 10:38 PM
I'll say A-, because the good players from that draft have been really good, but there were also a couple of busts in there that slightly downgrades it. Hitting on the first 2 picks in Clady and Royal was huge though. Although with other teams Torain and Hillis have both been decent given where they were drafted and Larsen has been a solid player for us as well.

Overall though, one of Shanny's best drafts with the Broncos.

Agent of Orange
04-30-2011, 10:39 PM
Seeing as how it is foolish to grade a draft from a year ago and barely sensible to grade a draft from 2 years ago, here is our draft class from 3 years ago. I posted a thread like this for our 2007 draft last year at this same time because it really puts things in perspective. What are your thoughts on this draft class?

1 12 (12) Player Video Ryan Clady T Boise State
2 11 (42) Player Video Eddie Royal WR Virginia Tech
4 9 (108) Kory Lichtensteiger C Bowling Green
4 20 (119) Jack Williams CB Kent State
5 4 (139) Ryan Torain RB Arizona State
5 13 (148) Player Video Carlton Powell DT Virginia Tech
6 17 (183) Player Video Spencer Larsen OLB Arizona
7 13 (220) Josh Barrett S Arizona State
7 20 (227) Player Video Peyton Hillis FB Arkansas

I would rate this draft class at a solid A(not A-). This is purely based on the players who were drafted and the grade does not take into account future transactions, only on the field contributions.

Here's why:

Ryan Torain and Peyton Hillis have been solid contributors in the NFL. Ryan Clady is an All Pro Offensive Tackle when healthy. Eddie Royal is a solid starter but not a pro bowler. Kory Lichensteiger started for the Redskins last year. Josh Barrett was a decent special teamer for a few years so his value in the 7th round fits. Jack Williams was a bust as was Carlton Powell, but every other player is still on an NFL roster and has contributed to their teams.

Thoughts?

A-

Peyton Hillis is what really makes it an A-.

HORSEPOWER 56
04-30-2011, 10:44 PM
Soild B. We got a franchise left tackle. I love Eddie Royal but he hasn't exactly been the guy we all hoped he'd be after his rookie season. He's solid, but not spectacular.

the fact we were stupid enough to trade Hillis after drafting him is grounds to give it an F :mad:, but that rests with one guy who has been fired.

Larsen is fine, but I only really feel that he's only there because we haven't taken the time to replace him, yet.

So yeah, a B.

To get an "A" in my book, you really have to hit with most of your picks and get a couple franchise guys out of it. The 2006 draft was an "A". Cutler, Marshall, Doom, Scheffler. <- that was a "A" draft.

Lonestar
04-30-2011, 10:45 PM
A solid C would be higher IF we had retained any of the players.

we have Eddie and Ryan as starters. Larsen as a backup,

all others are toast in DEN,

Agent of Orange
04-30-2011, 10:47 PM

That might have happened if the people who drafted them would have remained with the team. Its hard to blame them for the fact that McDaniels was a petulant child.

UnderArmour
04-30-2011, 10:48 PM
I'll say A-, because the good players from that draft have been really good, but there were also a couple of busts in there that slightly downgrades it. Hitting on the first 2 picks in Clady and Royal was huge though. Although with other teams Torain and Hillis have both been decent given where they were drafted and Larsen has been a solid player for us as well.

Overall though, one of Shanny's best drafts with the Broncos.

Yeah, I was debating between grading it at an A- or an A but opted for A because we hit on our first 2 picks and picked up solid players in the later rounds. I feel like past round 3, as long as you pick up 2 or 3 contributors it's okay to miss on picks and not have it downgrade the grade.

Shanahan hits on offensive talent so much and if he just had someone to balance it out who knew how to draft defensive talent, he could have been successful here. Maybe his buddy Bruce Allen knows a thing or two about picking defensive prospects, who knows? He could pick gold on offense but pick garbage on defense(Elvis aside) which eventually led to him getting fired.

Either way, the 2008 draft is a good place to look for perspective on the 2011 draft class. No early round misses and no early round passing up a(n arguably clear BPA) at a position of need(Like we did when we passed on Ed Reed and Michael Griffin in earlier drafts for Ashley Lelie and Jarvis Moss respectively).

I agree with your assessment even if I disagree with your criteria. I would grade our roster management for 2010 and 2011 as a D or an F because we let so much talent slip away. Maybe if someone gets bored one day they will post a thread grading our roster moves(free agency, trades, and whatnot) from 2008, 2009, and 2010. I still want to give Ayers and Moreno one more year before looking at McDummie's first draft class, it will be interesting to see how both adjust in year 3.

topscribe
04-30-2011, 11:23 PM
I would rate the draft itself, as a B+, for the reasons you provided, UnderArmour.

I would rate what they did with those players afterward as an F. As you noted,
of the six not with the team anymore, four are still playing elsewhere, and the
Broncos got next to nothing for them.

Even Spencer Larsen was misused, having been moved to FB, IMO.

The draft was splendid. The management of those players stunk.

-----

sneakers
05-01-2011, 12:04 AM
Isn't Lichtensteiger playing with someone?

topscribe
05-01-2011, 12:08 AM
Isn't Lichtensteiger playing with someone?

Yes, as UA noted, he started for the 'Skins last year . . .

-----

atwater27
05-01-2011, 10:21 AM
that might have happened if the people who drafted them would have remained with the team. Its hard to blame them for the fact that mcdaniels was a petulant child.

rofl!

Northman
05-01-2011, 10:29 AM
I give that draft a B-.

Clady, Royal, and Hillis are really the only starters worth a grain from that draft. Although some of the others get playing time i really dont think they were that great. But then again my criteria is probably a lot different than most on here.

BigDaddyBronco
05-01-2011, 11:26 AM
I would give it an A-. It was a Shanny draft and a lot of those guys fit his system and are still in the NFL.

Torain and Lichtensteiger are playing well in Washington, Hillis is a beast in Cleveland. Clady is a probowl LT, and Royal is a solid role player. Larsen and Barrett are ST players, Powell is on TB roster and I think even Jack Williams is hanging around somewhere. So if all those guys are still sniffing around in the NFL it's a pretty good draft.

If Shanny was still around many of them would still be on this team.

topscribe
05-01-2011, 11:59 AM
I would give it an A-. It was a Shanny draft and a lot of those guys fit his system and are still in the NFL.

Torain and Lichtensteiger are playing well in Washington, Hillis is a beast in Cleveland. Clady is a probowl LT, and Royal is a solid role player. Larsen and Barrett are ST players, Powell is on TB roster and I think even Jack Williams is hanging around somewhere. So if all those guys are still sniffing around in the NFL it's a pretty good draft.

(Along with Cutler and Scheffler from an even better draft.)

-----

horsepig
05-01-2011, 02:15 PM
I give that class a B-, would go higher if we'd taken Desean Jackson over Royal. I love Royal, but Jackson's more productive and we passed him over for Eddie.

Another example of the FO "outsmarting" the so called experts.

Lonestar
05-01-2011, 03:55 PM
Yeah, I was debating between grading it at an A- or an A but opted for A because we hit on our first 2 picks and picked up solid players in the later rounds. I feel like past round 3, as long as you pick up 2 or 3 contributors it's okay to miss on picks and not have it downgrade the grade.

Shanahan hits on offensive talent so much and if he just had someone to balance it out who knew how to draft defensive talent, he could have been successful here. Maybe his buddy Bruce Allen knows a thing or two about picking defensive prospects, who knows? He could pick gold on offense but pick garbage on defense(Elvis aside) which eventually led to him getting fired.

Either way, the 2008 draft is a good place to look for perspective on the 2011 draft class. No early round misses and no early round passing up a(n arguably clear BPA) at a position of need(Like we did when we passed on Ed Reed and Michael Griffin in earlier drafts for Ashley Lelie and Jarvis Moss respectively).

I agree with your assessment even if I disagree with your criteria. I would grade our roster management for 2010 and 2011 as a D or an F because we let so much talent slip away. Maybe if someone gets bored one day they will post a thread grading our roster moves(free agency, trades, and whatnot) from 2008, 2009, and 2010. I still want to give Ayers and Moreno one more year before looking at McDummie's first draft class, it will be interesting to see how both adjust in year 3.

I keep hearing this talent DRAIN WHO went down the Drain. Please do not go to jay, ts, and BM.

I might give you hillis but even then MOST fans were happy to get a 1st round QB for a 7 rd FB..

Broncos76
05-01-2011, 05:00 PM
That might have happened if the people who drafted them would have remained with the team. Its hard to blame them for the fact that McDaniels was a petulant child.

You are 100% on Target!!We would be adding good players to Great team BUT most Great players went thanks to Josh & his(LIL HOODIE).think he likes Hillis NOW!!!I wanted DT or DE but we need most of a team.Bailey almost lost over contract (MY GUY,#1CB)!!I like the picks looked them up,still need FA,if ever get it!!Thanks like your plan wish could be!!:cool::defense:

Agent of Orange
05-01-2011, 05:33 PM
You are 100% on Target!!We would be adding good players to Great team BUT most Great players went thanks to Josh & his(LIL HOODIE).think he likes Hillis NOW!!!I wanted DT or DE but we need most of a team.Bailey almost lost over contract (MY GUY,#1CB)!!I like the picks looked them up,still need FA,if ever get it!!Thanks like your plan wish could be!!:cool::defense:

Thanks. Im flattered that you were so moved by my comment that you were compelled to make your first post.

Lancane
05-01-2011, 06:27 PM
I have to give the Broncos an A- for this draft, I don't know why everyone is up in arms over them not drafting Dareus, and I admit that I would have liked to have seen him in a Broncos' uniform, but Von Miller makes sense. Especially when you take into consideration the men who selected him. John Fox has never really had a pro-bowl caliber - dominant defensive tackle in his successful 4-3 defensive teams, they always relied more on stellar play from the end and linebacker positions. Elway had been on teams that defense was more dominant at the linebacker and safety positions then at any other. When you think about that in perspective, this draft class for Denver makes complete sense.

DenBronx
05-02-2011, 02:23 AM
We had a solid draft in 08, same in 06. Those two drafts are an A.

Too bad the kid HC dismantled the team. I give Josh an F.

SOCALORADO.
05-02-2011, 09:52 AM
The players DEN took are not the problem. Its the fact that DEN squandered those picks on players that might not have been the best possible player to take for this specific team.
No one here can argue that the DTs are the biggest problem for this team. Yeah, theres lots of problems, and the FO might have just figured that a BPA type draft was the way to go, but ignoring the DT position in the deepest 4-3 DT/DE draft in decades was not the smartest way to go IMHO. Its done now, so we move on.
But no one can discount the simple fact that DEN was 32nd in defense last year and the main reason why was because of the DT play. DEN was gashed up the gut last season time and time again, and the DT/NT has no answer. Embarassing really.

There is a conspiracy theory i am begininng to think might be part of the plan though.
What if Elway/Fox were not convinced that TT was their guy, and when they looked at the QBs in this years draft, they were not impressed enough with any of them so much that they wouldnt just be content to just ride out another year at 4-12 or worse, but get some need building blocks, aquire some picks, and simply wait for next year?
They purposely ignore the DT spot in a deep DT draft, knowing it keeps the team in the dumpster, and wait for next year when they can go after Luck or Barkley who they have head and shoulders above any QB in this class?? Then take DTs in the 2nd or 3rd round to fill the much needed holes there?
Just a thought.

TXBRONC
05-02-2011, 09:56 AM
We had a solid draft in 08, same in 06. Those two drafts are an A.

Too bad the kid HC dismantled the team. I give Josh an F.

He had some talent to work with but pissed it away. :tsk:

BORDERLINE
05-02-2011, 12:54 PM
I would give it a B- as well. Clady, Hillis the standouts of this class

rcsodak
05-02-2011, 03:33 PM

Powell is with NYJ.

rcsodak
05-02-2011, 03:35 PM
I have to give the Broncos an A- for this draft, I don't know why everyone is up in arms over them not drafting Dareus, and I admit that I would have liked to have seen him in a Broncos' uniform, but Von Miller makes sense. Especially when you take into consideration the men who selected him. John Fox has never really had a pro-bowl caliber - dominant defensive tackle in his successful 4-3 defensive teams, they always relied more on stellar play from the end and linebacker positions. Elway had been on teams that defense was more dominant at the linebacker and safety positions then at any other. When you think about that in perspective, this draft class for Denver makes complete sense.
Wrong thread, cane. :laugh:

rcsodak
05-02-2011, 03:38 PM
The players DEN took are not the problem. Its the fact that DEN squandered those picks on players that might not have been the best possible player to take for this specific team.
No one here can argue that the DTs are the biggest problem for this team. Yeah, theres lots of problems, and the FO might have just figured that a BPA type draft was the way to go, but ignoring the DT position in the deepest 4-3 DT/DE draft in decades was not the smartest way to go IMHO. Its done now, so we move on.
But no one can discount the simple fact that DEN was 32nd in defense last year and the main reason why was because of the DT play. DEN was gashed up the gut last season time and time again, and the DT/NT has no answer. Embarassing really.

There is a conspiracy theory i am begininng to think might be part of the plan though.
What if Elway/Fox were not convinced that TT was their guy, and when they looked at the QBs in this years draft, they were not impressed enough with any of them so much that they wouldnt just be content to just ride out another year at 4-12 or worse, but get some need building blocks, aquire some picks, and simply wait for next year?
They purposely ignore the DT spot in a deep DT draft, knowing it keeps the team in the dumpster, and wait for next year when they can go after Luck or Barkley who they have head and shoulders above any QB in this class?? Then take DTs in the 2nd or 3rd round to fill the much needed holes there?
Just a thought.

Repeating that 'theory' ain't gonna make it true. :lol:

The fact there wont be a TC to get everybody schooled up will do plenty of damage on its own.
And you must not have much respect for Fox and/or Elway to think that up. :confused:

slim
05-02-2011, 03:43 PM

Just a thought.

So a rookie DT is the difference between a 4-12 season and a playoff run?

Really?

SOCALORADO.
05-02-2011, 03:50 PM
So a rookie DT is the difference between a 4-12 season and a playoff run?

Really?

2 rookie DTs.

SOCALORADO.
05-02-2011, 03:50 PM
Repeating that 'theory' ain't gonna make it true. :lol:

The fact there wont be a TC to get everybody schooled up will do plenty of damage on its own.
And you must not have much respect for Fox and/or Elway to think that up. :confused:

I said its a conspiracy theory. You know, like UFO's?

Ravage!!!
05-02-2011, 03:53 PM
Why not just draft the players and not play them and STILL accomplish this"intentional" fall, as well as still have the on the team after we draft our 'targeted' player?