PDA

View Full Version : Draft Grades: AFC West

Denver Native (Carol)
04-30-2011, 09:46 PM
Denver Broncos: B-

Had the Denver Broncos not been lacking defensive tackles on their roster and their draft class, their efforts over the three days of the 2011 Draft would rank higher. The addition of pass rusher Von Miller - an immediate candidate for Defensive Rookie of the Year honors - certainly boosts their grade. So does the fact the Broncos were able land UCLA free safety Rahim Moore in the in the second round. Moore, the top-rated free safety by NFLDraftScout.com, should be aided by the assistance of veteran Brian Dawkins. The Broncos could see an immediate impact from big, burly offensive lineman Orlando Franklin, their third-round choice. Of the Broncos' late-round selections, Portland State tight end Julius Thomas is the most intriguing. Thomas is the latest former basketball player to attempt the conversion to the gridiron.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=sportsxchange-000313957_draft-grades-afc-west

TXBRONC
04-30-2011, 09:51 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=sportsxchange-000313957_draft-grades-afc-west

I would have thought the grade would be lower.

HORSEPOWER 56
04-30-2011, 09:53 PM
Even they brought up that we have a glaring hole at DT...

Hmmm. Looks like a trend? :confused:

We draft Jenkins, Austin, or Paea in the second round and this draft gets an A+ grade.

They were generous with a B-. I would gave it a B- before we drafted 2 project players at TE and a LB who will never see the field (Mohamed). Now it's closer to a C-.

Denver Native (Carol)
04-30-2011, 10:02 PM
IMO, this was not a bad draft. There is still FA and trades.

The Broncos’ 2011 draft addressed seven of the nine positional needs they had identified entering this offseason.

They got two safeties. They picked up both a Sam and Mike linebacker. They drafted two tight ends. They got a right tackle.

They selected six of those seven new players in the first four rounds, four in the first three.

The two positions they didn’t attend were defensive tackle and running back. They need a starter at defensive tackle. That can only be found through trade or free agency, most likely the latter. They also need a running back to complement Knowshon Moreno. And if John Fox can lure free agent-to-be DeAngelo Williams to come join in Denver, Moreno will complement Williams.

http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2011/04/30/broncos-will-have-to-get-dt-rb-through-trade-or-free-agency/7449/

tomjonesrocks
04-30-2011, 10:08 PM
Agreed--would have expected the obligatory low(er) grade the Broncos get every year.

Even with a new regime logic is defied.

BroncoJoe
04-30-2011, 10:10 PM
Grading draft picks before they even play a down in the NFL is stupid.

HORSEPOWER 56
04-30-2011, 10:11 PM
Grading draft picks before they even play a down in the NFL is stupid.

So is giving opinions to perfect strangers on a message board, but we're all here so we might as well talk about something...

;)

gobroncsnv
04-30-2011, 10:19 PM
Well, it's not news that they give out draft grades... been done for quite a while now... And the game is that we've all been doing the same thing during this whole draft. Guilty as charged, your honor. Nevertheless, my frustration will remain until I see the Broncos FO FINALLY do SOMEthing about the Dline. If you doubt that our current lack of one causes us to lose games, I'm ready to hear a conflicting opinion, but at this point, won't ask you to hold your breath until I'm convinced.
So yeah, I HAVE to believe that they have big ideas for FA, but am entirely shocked that they did nothing about it while the opportunity was there, to deal with this the way better teams do... build through the draft.

HORSEPOWER 56
04-30-2011, 10:21 PM
Well, it's not news that they give out draft grades... been done for quite a while now... And the game is that we've all been doing the same thing during this whole draft. Guilty as charged, your honor. Nevertheless, my frustration will remain until I see the Broncos FO FINALLY do SOMEthing about the Dline. If you doubt that our current lack of one causes us to lose games, I'm ready to hear a conflicting opinion, but at this point, won't ask you to hold your breath until I'm convinced.
So yeah, I HAVE to believe that they have big ideas for FA, but am entirely shocked that they did nothing about it while the opportunity was there, to deal with this the way better teams do... build through the draft.

You don't have to convince me... BEAT THAT DRUM!

BroncoJoe
04-30-2011, 10:23 PM
IIRC, we had several FA's on the D-Line during our Superbowl years...

Denver Native (Carol)
04-30-2011, 10:27 PM
Just watched John Fox talk on Channel 9 - which were things he had said earlier in their press conference, and he said that he has never seen a team's needs completely filled with the draft - that is why there is also FA.

GEEZ people - there are still other ways to obtain needed players.

Agent of Orange
04-30-2011, 10:33 PM
I would have thought the grade would be lower.

Yahoo is California based and regionally biased (like ESPN) and so the fact that Denver drafted a lot of Pac 10 guys likely put Denver in Yahoos good graces.

UnderArmour
04-30-2011, 10:36 PM
It is ridiculous to grade a draft right after it happens. It takes at least 3 seasons to evaluate a draft class. Initial draft grades are such bullshit because they do not actually take into account what the players will contribute. We'll see on the field these next 3 seasons how this draft class performs.

Nick
04-30-2011, 10:44 PM
After just the first 3 rounds that would have been a D and would have been lower if not for grabbing Von (Even though Peterson is not someone to just pass up).

Fact of the Matter is, Von was the 2nd best player in the draft after Peterson and does fit a need. While the Broncos did not address DL, They how ever addressed other needs with multiple people.

Moore could be good but don't feel like he is a second round safety and got burned so many times last year. I however love the selection with Carter in 4th and think he was awesome value at that spot. I believe This will work at very well for both of them.

I like the Franklin selection but at that spot? Really? Also didn't mind Irving selection but felt they also reached a little with some other great talent available... Was a little disappointed off that in beginning.

It is obvious they reached a little in the 2nd round for the guys they wanted but ended up getting some great talent in the later rounds.

We need a TE for future, What better way to get two project TE's that have a chance for huge potential. If ends up not panning out on Thomas or green, most likely one will.

I watched Mohamed a lot and and he does have great work ethic. Excited to see him when he has an opportunity to come into a game but don't think he will cut it in the next level...

Beal is terrific value to end the draft, Just don't know how he is going to fit in.

So Love the Miller, Carter and Thomas selection and like the Irving, Franklin and Moore selection. I like how they Need LB, TE, and S and grabbing 3 LB's, 2 TE's, and 2 S's. This is obvious a rebuild year. We still have glaring holes and most of this talent we drafted will not be able to come in and dominate the first year.

No orange glasses here, we will not be the best defense next year but draft is for future. We obvious need to address some other areas of concern but do not think they failed in draft by all means.

gobroncsnv
04-30-2011, 10:49 PM
OK, I'll stop, but perhaps I could be forgiven for being gun shy, given our excellent recent history with our forays into getting decent dline help... have fun, y'all.

topscribe
04-30-2011, 11:06 PM
OK, I'll stop, but perhaps I could be forgiven for being gun shy, given our excellent recent history with our forays into getting decent dline help... have fun, y'all.

Why do people keep bringing up Denver's past drafting records? Tell me when
Elway and Fox were involved in any of them?

Damn, that's like holding all daddy's extramarital affairs against the kids . . .

-----

topscribe
04-30-2011, 11:11 PM
Did anybody notice something missing in this particular draft anaysis?

Was one Nate Irving overlooked, or did I just glance over it? He is one selection
that very well could bring the grade up to at least a B+. The guy was regarded
as a first-rounder until his auto accident, and he showed solid, sure signs of a
complete recovery. This means the Broncos will have three de facto #1 draft
choices among their starting linebackers. (DJ was a #1.)

-----

HORSEPOWER 56
05-01-2011, 06:49 AM

Was one Nate Irving overlooked, or did I just glance over it? He is one selection
as a first-rounder until his auto accident, and he showed solid, sure signs of a

-----

Perhaps nobody sees in him what some guys here do. There are some guys on the board who really seem to love the guy and obviously the FO had him rated as their #1 MLB so that says something. To be honest though, most scouts didn't have him rated that high and I'd never even heard his name before Friday.

Maybe we got a gem, or maybe we got a guy who was drafted where he was supposed to be drafted?

Nickademus
05-01-2011, 08:52 AM
Wasn't irving a finalist for the best lb award last year? (Can't remember the name of the award for the life of me). And the docs checked him physically and said he was good to go after the car wreck so we should be stoked right?

nevcraw
05-01-2011, 09:24 AM

Damn, that's like holding all daddy's extramarital affairs against the kids . . .
-----

in this scenario are you Daddy?

atwater27
05-01-2011, 10:27 AM
It is ridiculous to grade a draft right after it happens. It takes at least 3 seasons to evaluate a draft class. Initial draft grades are such bullshit because they do not actually take into account what the players will contribute. We'll see on the field these next 3 seasons how this draft class performs.

COme on man, it's for fun and for conversation.

topscribe
05-01-2011, 11:00 AM
Perhaps nobody sees in him what some guys here do. There are some guys on the board who really seem to love the guy and obviously the FO had him rated as their #1 MLB so that says something. To be honest though, most scouts didn't have him rated that high and I'd never even heard his name before Friday.

Maybe we got a gem, or maybe we got a guy who was drafted where he was supposed to be drafted?

Parcells is one guy who had Irving graded as a first-rounder . . .

Wasn't irving a finalist for the best lb award last year? (Can't remember the name of the award for the life of me). And the docs checked him physically and said he was good to go after the car wreck so we should be stoked right?

Semifinalist. (Von Miller won it, of course.) And Irving was still recovering
from the auto accident.

COme on man, it's for fun and for conversation.

Yup. I can't think of a better place to make fools of ourselves than here. :D

-----

topscribe
05-01-2011, 11:05 AM
in this scenario are you Daddy?

lol

Nope. I will say without shame that I have always been head-over-heels in love with my wife . . .

-----

nevcraw
05-01-2011, 11:45 AM
@Adam_Schefter My day-after sense of the teams that had the top 5 drafts. 1. Buccaneers; 2. Cardinals; 3. Broncos; 4. Lions; 5. Texans. #knowmoreintwoyears about 4 hours ago

Schefter giving a little FAX love..

gobroncsnv
05-01-2011, 12:31 PM

-----

I guess that was just my way of railing against the continuance of a bad tradition.

horsepig
05-01-2011, 01:22 PM

People like myself are not trying to grade the talent they drafted with a bent towards saying,"Well, that guy won't pan out, or this guy is just a project and won't help the team."

What we are expressing is utter disbelief that this same trend of completely ignoring the DL high in the draft has become almost unbearable to see every year.

The argument can be made that they have tried; Ayers and Jarvis Moss.

I'm not buying that though because, they were both serious reaches. Those are not players in the same sphere as Dareus and Fairley for example.

horsepig
05-01-2011, 01:29 PM
By the way, the AFC West grades I've seen so far go pretty much B's for Oak, KC & SD, and C to C- for Den.

TXBRONC
05-01-2011, 01:38 PM
People like myself are not trying to grade the talent they drafted with a bent towards saying,"Well, that guy won't pan out, or this guy is just a project and won't help the team."

What we are expressing is utter disbelief that this same trend of completely ignoring the DL high in the draft has become almost unbearable to see every year.

I'm not buying that though because, they were both serious reaches. Those are not players in the same sphere as Dareus and Fairley for example.

IIRC both Moss and Ayers were taken right about where they were expected to go. Ayers is moving back to his natural position so maybe that will help him get his career going on a more productive path.

topscribe
05-01-2011, 01:39 PM

That is true enough of Moss. I would not yet say that of Ayers, however. It
seems to have escaped the memories around here that, clear back before the
2009 draft, Mayock himself said that Ayers would need two or three years to
develop, then he may become the best defender out of that draft.

Well, it's his third year, and the first one in which he will be playing in his
natural position, so I won't be surprised if he does eventually show himself in
that same sphere . . .

-----

Lonestar
05-01-2011, 01:48 PM

AgIan if they having to fight off blocks of interior OL guys does not matter where they supposed to be drafted.

I consider this draft another failure as we did not fix the tapping holes we needed fixed.

Not saying the guys not maybe ulitmate pro bowlers just that going for BPA does not help if the other areas are bigger problems.

And you'd have to Be deaf, dumb and blind not to know what they were.

I love BPA hen there are no OBIVIOUS hole to fill.

Pass rush or outside LB was not a huge area to worry about.

When you are consistently gashed for 200+ rushing yards who gives a flip about pass rush.

Now MLB and safety will be down the road concerns unless Dawkins is not coming back. We have not had a MLB since Wilson retired and cranky even befoe that As he missed lots of tackles because of injuires hands and neck.

So if we would have a taken a super stud MLB and a couple of DTs and then went after the rest, I have zero concern.

I have never thought that this D was going to be top 15 For a couple of years anyway. So building through the draft and getting solid players as a foundation is what I have been looking for since before reeves.

muse
05-01-2011, 02:23 PM
Moore could be good but don't feel like he is a second round safety and got burned so many times last year. I however love the selection with Carter in 4th and think he was awesome value at that spot. I believe This will work at very well for both of them.

I'm still not particularly happy about the Moore pick. I'd put money on McBath beating him out (if he doesn't have another random injury) due to experience and better coverage skills (especially in man). That said, one of them may have value in a Sam Brandon-type role in a big nickel package. 2nd round is very high to draft role players though, seeing as Brandon was a 4th rounder and his successor (Josh Barrett) was a 7th.

Lonestar
05-01-2011, 03:52 PM
Overall I'd love to see DEN get back to the days of Smith and Atwater mixing in some Lynch and Dawkins at their primes..

For a long time DEN has always had the sheriff back there that WR developed the "short arm" syndrome. Lots of dropped passes over the middle. Because they knew they would get hammered ..

Do not get me wrong love having some top talent there just would have preferred a top DT instead.. OR TWO..

topscribe
05-01-2011, 03:56 PM
Overall I'd love to see DEN get back to the days of Smith and Atwater mixing in some Lynch and Dawkins at their primes..

For a long time DEN has always had the sheriff back there that WR developed the "short arm" syndrome. Lots of dropped passes over the middle. Because they knew they would get hammered ..

Do not get me wrong love having some top talent there just would have preferred a top DT instead.. OR TWO..

They called Nate Irving "The Predator" in college . . .

-----

Agent of Orange
05-01-2011, 04:10 PM
Just watched John Fox talk on Channel 9 - which were things he had said earlier in their press conference, and he said that he has never seen a team's needs completely filled with the draft - that is why there is also FA.

What grade would you give Denver, Carol?

WARHORSE
05-01-2011, 04:18 PM
Dont know if anyone mentioned this or heard it, but McShay said on an ESPN Sportcenter Special today that he thought Denver had the best draft in the entire AFC.

Now.....is that good or bad.:confused:

Draft grades shmaft raids.

Every Broncos fan knows the draft grading is done during the season.

Let DE GAMES BEGIN!!!:beer:

Lonestar
05-02-2011, 09:27 AM
Dont know if anyone mentioned this or heard it, but McShay said on an ESPN Sportcenter Special today that he thought Denver had the best draft in the entire AFC.
Let DE GAMES BEGIN!!!:beer:Actually the grades or proof of the pudding IMHO is do they wind up good enough to get a second contract with Denver.
It does the team NO good or favors to see their "picks" elsewhere in the league starting OR flat cut a few years later.

Go back and evealuate past day one picks by where are they after their rookie contracts expire.
If somewhere else as a backup it was a bust, if they are starting then the HC and GM are beyond dumb.

rcsodak
05-02-2011, 09:41 AM
So is giving opinions to perfect strangers on a message board, but we're all here so we might as well talk about something...

;)

Somebody here has bad breath and it ain't me.

rcsodak
05-02-2011, 09:45 AM
IIRC, we had several FA's on the D-Line during our Superbowl years...And the main difference between Shanny/current FO is they've said they'll be going after the 2nd contract FA's...NOT the brokedown and forlourn.

rcsodak
05-02-2011, 09:46 AM

Shhhhhh...be still, C.
Its gonna be a cluster in here when FAgency starts. :lol:

rcsodak
05-02-2011, 09:50 AM

-----
Well top........then its the building! ;) Something/one sure is. The BEST DLine draft in 30yrs(+/-) and they get 1......in the 7th?

rcsodak
05-02-2011, 09:52 AM

-----
Also saw where he was graded as an OLB.
And said to be too slow for sideline/sideline and not stout enough inside.

rcsodak
05-02-2011, 09:56 AM

-----
Is that because he disappears? :eek:

rcsodak
05-02-2011, 09:58 AM

Let DE GAMES BEGIN!!!:beer:
Until you hear/read the banter from mcshay haters. Lol.

Lonestar
05-03-2011, 12:16 AM
Well top........then its the building! ;) Something/one sure is. The BEST DLine draft in 30yrs(+/-) and they get 1......in the 7th?

Go figure and it was not even an every down player it is a player where we have loads of players unless at 262 he can play DT.

arapaho2
05-03-2011, 11:06 AM

-----

I HOPE HE DOESNT GO AROUND PUKING ON THE FIELD....like our former predator chukwara

LTC Pain
05-03-2011, 11:40 AM
Is that because he disappears? :eek:

You're starting to post like Robert Ethan :listen: :confused::shocked:

topscribe
05-03-2011, 11:44 AM
I HOPE HE DOESNT GO AROUND PUKING ON THE FIELD....like our former predator chukwara

:lol: Well, he can puke like Chuky, or he can pee like Stink - I don't care. As
long as he destroys a few ball carriers . . . :dance:

-----

TXBRONC
05-03-2011, 11:51 AM

Hey lots of guys would puke their guts out if they had to stay on the field what was it eight plus minute drive?

topscribe
05-03-2011, 11:57 AM
Also saw where he was graded as an OLB.
And said to be too slow for sideline/sideline and not stout enough inside.

You got some bad information. A slew of scouting reports have revealed to me
that Irving is regarded as a good sideline-to-sideline LB with good football speed,
despite his timed 40 speed. He posseses good lower body power that enables
him to drive through the ball carrier.

Concerns about his strength in the middle were probably because of his playing
weight after his accident (237 lbs.), but he has since blossomed out to about
245, so that should no longer be a problem.

What convinced me -- and probably EFX -- were the game films. Seldom have
I heard his name called in a game more than I have heard his. Wherever the
ball was, you could count on #56 being there, too, and usually involved in the
play. The guy just flat balls.

-----

WARHORSE
05-03-2011, 12:26 PM
We got an A from Sports Illustrated, one of four I believe.

Guess that means we hit the jackpot.:D

LTC Pain
05-03-2011, 12:31 PM
We got an A from Sports Illustrated, one of four I believe.

Guess that means we hit the jackpot.:D

The couple of sites I've found that graded the Broncos draft less than a B (couple of C-s) were due to not filling the need for a DT(s). That is there thinking/conclusion. In the days since the draft we have more insight into what EFX was thinking as the conducted the draft without filling a need at the DT position. I'm comfortable with our draft and believe the DT/RB/CB needs can be filled through FA.