PDA

View Full Version : A 4-3 defense can be competent without great tackle play

ogplife
04-30-2011, 07:57 PM
I'll start off by saying that next years draft I want a tackle or multiple tackles taken within the first 2 rounds. I'm just reminding people that the Giants defense was very good this year (some would say dominant) with 2 good edge rushers (Osi and Tuck), 5 other scrubs in the front seven and a below average secondary (some would say bad). Does this mean things will work the same for us? Who knows, but it just shows how 2 dominant edge pass rushers can change things for a defense. If Doom is a dominant pass rusher at end (which I fully expect) and Von Milller is as good as advertised, I wouldn't necessarily count this defense out.

ForgettingBrandonMarshall
04-30-2011, 08:14 PM
The thing about our defense is that all the pieces aren't there yet. As for the Giants, Cofield in the middle was actually pretty productive for a DT with more tackles than Osi probably due to funneling the run his way with those two on the edge. However, I know he's old, but I would never call Bullock a scrub. Dude can play. Not to mention, the Giants led the league in takeaways, with Rolle at safety making a ton of tackles so I'd hardly call the secondary bad...

Still, it's a good thought. Maybe it will help some of these guys sleep better at night.

ogplife
04-30-2011, 08:54 PM
The thing about our defense is that all the pieces aren't there yet. As for the Giants, Cofield in the middle was actually pretty productive for a DT with more tackles than Osi probably due to funneling the run his way with those two on the edge. However, I know he's old, but I would never call Bullock a scrub. Dude can play. Not to mention, the Giants led the league in takeaways, with Rolle at safety making a ton of tackles so I'd hardly call the secondary bad...

Still, it's a good thought. Maybe it will help some of these guys sleep better at night.

Its unfair to call Bullock a scrub based on his career, but last year he had 34 tackles and no sacks. That's pretty lame... we also have DJ, who is far better than anyone of their other 5 and I personally expect Ayers to have a breakout season. He really showed me some good things before the foot injury. Lots of ifs, but we can be a solid defense and I expect our offense to be better than last year (particularly, converting 3rd downs and scoring in the red zone), if Tebow starts.

BroncoJoe
04-30-2011, 10:28 PM
We've gone from pretty lousy at LB to pretty exciting. I'd bet we'll see four LB's on the field as much as we see four DLinemen.

CoachChaz
05-01-2011, 12:17 PM
I dont how Fox and Allen see it, but even with our deficiencies at DT at the moment, I think the amount of looks and packages we can throw at teams right now is crazy. the run blitzes, pass blitzes, coverage packages,etc are awesome with this group. A guy like Jim Johnson (RIP) would wet his pants to have the 4-3 vetsatility we could have

TXBRONC
05-01-2011, 12:48 PM
I dont how Fox and Allen see it, but even with our deficiencies at DT at the moment, I think the amount of looks and packages we can throw at teams right now is crazy. the run blitzes, pass blitzes, coverage packages,etc are awesome with this group. A guy like Jim Johnson (RIP) would wet his pants to have the 4-3 vetsatility we could have

I hope Fox is open to a Jim Johnson kind of creativity because I'm of the understanding Fox is pretty conventional his approach.

gobroncsnv
05-01-2011, 01:30 PM
Well, all too true. Myhope is that when we insert certain "crews" we don't have just a single tendancy with it. Kinda like a few years back, when we had one RB in, we'd run to the edge, with the other, up the middle, guaranteed. I do think Fox is a pretty good innovator for D, but let's make sure at some point he has something to work with. Again, I know (hope) that FA is where we'll try to address what didn't happen the past few days. I've said it before, perhaps not "loud" enough, but I think Miller IS going to be a good one in this league. We just need to find a way to keep him "clean" so that he can do his thing. That's how Ray Lewis made his money, same for Derrick Thomas, who, in my opinion, was Elway's biggest nemesis back in the day.

horsepig
05-01-2011, 01:35 PM

Right now this defense looks to me to be practically custom designed to employ a Hell of a lot of run blitzes. I just don't think that is Foxies' style.

TXBRONC
05-01-2011, 01:44 PM
Right now this defense looks to me to be practically custom designed to employ a Hell of a lot of run blitzes. I just don't think that is Foxies' style.

The really good coaches will find ways to best utilize talent like Miller even if it means doing things are out of the norm for them.

topscribe
05-01-2011, 01:57 PM

Actually, that would depend more on Allen's style. He's the DC. Fox will have a
lot of input, I'm sure, but it will be essentially Allen's scheme, and I'm not sure
what his style is . . .

-----

muse
05-01-2011, 02:12 PM
I hope Fox is open to a Jim Johnson kind of creativity because I'm of the understanding Fox is pretty conventional his approach.

True, but if he were aiming for this approach, surely he wouldn't have hired Dennis Allen? I think Fox realises that the mindset he had in Carolina has to change a little bit with the times and won't rein in our young coordinators too much.

horsepig
05-01-2011, 02:20 PM
I hope you're right Muse and TX. I hate it when HCs overrun their coordinators.