PDA

View Full Version : Torain a Mythical Legend.

TXBRONC
10-19-2008, 06:58 PM
Interesting little article on Torain I thought you all might enjoy it.

http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/NFL/AFC/AFC+West/Denver/WWHI/2008/wwhi101608.htm

Unclear where RB Torain will fit in Broncos' backfield
By Dan Parr
Oct. 16, 2008

From the time they drafted him, Broncos RB Ryan Torain has been billed as the team’s secret weapon. In April, Denver took Torain, out of Arizona State, in the fifth round and rather than have the media hype him as a steal, head coach Mike Shanahan did it himself, calling him a first-round talent. The reason Torain fell so far in the draft, the story went, was because of his injury history, which included a Lisfranc injury that cut short his senior season.

The legend surrounding Torain has only grown in the weeks since he suffered a dislocated elbow in training camp. As Denver’s three-headed backfield struggled to produce one go-to guy, the idea that Torain could become the running game’s featured back has become a popular one, according to close observers of the team.

There are high, and some might say delusional, expectations for a player who never even has taken a snap in the preseason, let alone a regular-season game. Torain will return to practice this week and he’s expected to make his debut on Nov. 2 at home against the Dolphins. However, the way we hear it, Torain’s presence might not bring the immediate impact some are expecting.

The Broncos’ three-man backfield — composed of Selvin Young, Michael Pittman and Andre Hall — has worked well thus far. Entering Week Seven, Denver ranked 10th in the NFL in rushing. If Young’s groin injury, which kept him out in Week Six, was aggravated or forced him to the sideline again, then some room for Torain could open up. Otherwise, there just isn’t a lot of space for him. Pittman has been a pleasant surprise and Shanahan needs his versatility as a solid rusher, blocker and receiver. Hall is an important piece, as well, because he’s a kick returner. Torain won’t contribute on special teams and insiders say his value to the team is limited at this point.

That said, the Broncos had an opportunity to put him on injured reserve, and they passed it up, even though he’d be out for nearly half the season. They clearly think he can make a difference down the stretch. We know Shanahan won’t hesitate to use a rookie running back. He did just last season with Young.

ApaOps5
10-19-2008, 07:04 PM
Torain pisses excellence and his tears cure cancer. Problem is he is too bad ass to cry!

Northman
10-19-2008, 07:04 PM
I dont understand all the pub this guy gets. He hasnt even taken the field yet and people are proclaiming him to be our missing link.

ApaOps5
10-19-2008, 07:07 PM
Well if you were at camp in the latter days you would see why. The guy was hitting every hole and had great one cut and go speed. Shanny raved about him every press conference. I guarantee you he would have been the starter on the next depth chart if didn't get injured.

Granted that's practice and it means diddly squat in real life but thats where the pub is coming from.

Northman
10-19-2008, 07:08 PM
Granted that's practice and it means diddly squat in real life but thats where the pub is coming from.

And thats all i need to really know man. Hence why we are seeing Pittman starting. Practice means nothing. ;)

ApaOps5
10-19-2008, 07:10 PM
And thats all i need to really know man. Hence why we are seeing Pittman starting. Practice means nothing. ;)

Pittman won't be starting the game after Miami, I guarantee it. Even if it is warranted Torain will get a shot to tote the rock.

TXBRONC
10-19-2008, 07:13 PM
Pittman won't be starting the game after Miami, I guarantee it. Even if it is warranted Torain will get a shot to tote the rock.

I don't think he'll get a lot work right off the bat.

NameUsedBefore
10-19-2008, 07:19 PM
I bet we mix him in for one game then bam, he's the starter.

TXBRONC
10-19-2008, 07:24 PM
I bet we mix him in for one game then bam, he's the starter.

I doubt he'll be ready after just one game. I just don't think the stamina will be there.

JKcatch724
10-19-2008, 07:28 PM
Hoping for the best... but expecting mediocrity.

lex
10-19-2008, 07:32 PM
For him to live up to this kind of hype, he should be averaging 30 carries and 140 yards per game the rest of the way.

MOtorboat
10-19-2008, 07:34 PM
:rolleyes:

Here we go again...more bullshit from lex about Ryan Torain.

NameUsedBefore
10-19-2008, 07:37 PM
For him to live up to this kind of hype, he should be averaging 30 carries and 140 yards per game the rest of the way.

4.6 YPC wont do in Denver!

TXBRONC
10-19-2008, 07:40 PM
A y.p.c. of 4.6 will work just fine, I just don't think he's going to get a lot carries immediately.

JONtheBRONCO
10-19-2008, 07:41 PM
Lex hates the Broncos.

TXBRONC
10-19-2008, 07:49 PM
Lex hates the Broncos.

Nah he's Broncos fan but he is not a talent scout.

lex
10-19-2008, 08:01 PM
Nah he's Broncos fan but he is not a talent scout.

Im enough of one to know that Torain has had a hard time staying healthy. I guess, the fact that he has missed half the season doesnt count for some reason though?

MOtorboat
10-19-2008, 08:05 PM
Im enough of one to know that Torain has had a hard time staying healthy. I guess, the fact that he has missed half the season doesnt count for some reason though?

Sure it does...now please give us a 2,000-word essay on the number of fifth round draft picks who are pro bowlers.

TXBRONC
10-19-2008, 08:07 PM

Being injury prone and having talent are two different things.

honz
10-19-2008, 08:10 PM
I doubt he'll be ready after just one game. I just don't the stamina will be there.

I know he has been working with one our our conditioning coaches while he has been injured. It is his elbow that is ailing him, so he is still able to run and work on his leg strength.

TXBRONC
10-19-2008, 08:13 PM
I know he has been working with one our our conditioning coaches while he has been injured. It is his elbow that is ailing him, so he is still able to run and work on his leg strength.

Maybe, but I don't think that's the same as being in game shape.

lex
10-19-2008, 08:15 PM
Being injury prone and having talent are two different things.

and...?

ApaOps5
10-19-2008, 08:16 PM
I am not saying it will be warranted but with the Bye week then the Miami game if he is still healthy I bet he starts or is part of the 5 play rotation. Nothing based on him just my gut based on what Shanahan has said. Again I am not extolling the awesome that is Torain I just know how high Shanahan is on him.

honz
10-19-2008, 08:21 PM
I can guarantee that Torain is a better option than Andre Hall. Hall looked good in the preseason when he was able to break a few tackles, but he has looked very ordinary during the regular season.

JKcatch724
10-19-2008, 08:45 PM
I can guarantee that Torain is a better option than Andre Hall. Hall looked good in the preseason when he was able to break a few tackles, but he has looked very ordinary during the regular season.

I had high hopes for Hall before the season. I always thought he would take the starting spot by this time based on his performance last year and the preseason. I dunno if its because he hasn't had enough chances or he really is that ordinary. It just surprised me cuz he looked like the most balanced of the three.

TXBRONC
10-19-2008, 09:52 PM
I am not saying it will be warranted but with the Bye week then the Miami game if he is still healthy I bet he starts or is part of the 5 play rotation. Nothing based on him just my gut based on what Shanahan has said. Again I am not extolling the awesome that is Torain I just know how high Shanahan is on him.

I expect that Torain is going to get some carries I just don't see him getting a lot carries.

broncobryce
10-19-2008, 09:52 PM
I'm not sure Torrain can help us any more than Pittman can unless he can play defense.:D

TXBRONC
10-19-2008, 10:08 PM
I'm not sure Torrain can help us any more than Pittman can unless he can play defense.:D

Well I suppose it depends on how you look at it. If Torain and the rest of the crew keep the defense off the field then that is almost as good as playing defense. :elefant:

omac
10-19-2008, 10:41 PM

Yup, Pittman's been easily our best runner. I'd rather we don't give Pittman too many carries this early in the season, so we can keep him fresh for later. I also don't want the defenses to get too much of a rythm against him, so he'll be more effective at the goal line.

I'm apt to believe the rumours about how good Torrain is, since the rumours about Royal turned out to be true. I just don't like it when a RB is injury prone.

scott.475
10-19-2008, 10:52 PM
I want Torain to be good...I want all our backs to be good. My view, though, is that while one of our backs my look good in practice, they are practicing against our D...that can make a LOT of backs look good!

slim
10-19-2008, 11:16 PM
Torain will be starting by week 10 at the latest.

Northman
10-20-2008, 12:46 AM
Lex does have a point. A lot of hype for someone who hasnt even taken the field yet.

Simple Jaded
10-20-2008, 12:55 AM
I love the Broncos yet find all the Torain hype nauseating, and I pull it off effortlessly.

I am living proof that if you set goals and follow your dreams, you too can be objective......

Traveler
10-20-2008, 07:36 AM
Wasn't it mentioned somewhere that the muscles his arm were severely atrophied? If that's the case, he shouldn't be playing this soon IMO.

TXBRONC
10-20-2008, 08:03 AM
Wasn't it mentioned somewhere that the muscles his arm were severely atrophied? If that's the case, he shouldn't be playing this soon IMO.

That was like two or three weeks ago so already could be a noticeable difference in his injured arm.

broncosinindy
10-20-2008, 08:17 AM
If he was the second coming of TD.. i wish the coaches would have just IR'ed him. Put J barrett on the active roster and let him show his stuff on ST

broncofaninfla
10-20-2008, 08:37 AM
I'm guessing he showed coaches he had some special in camp, otherwise they would have put him on IR when he got hurt. Roster spots are too valuable in the NFL to just hold one open “in the hopes of”. The kid was a stud in college and was having a good camp before getting hurt. Hopefully they cam slowly work him in the rotation and he can contribute as the season progresses. I just want to see the kid keep the chains moving and the clock running and help Denver with the time of possession wars that become the key to winning late season football.

TXBRONC
10-20-2008, 09:05 AM
If he was the second coming of TD.. i wish the coaches would have just IR'ed him. Put J barrett on the active roster and let him show his stuff on ST

Under 99.99% of all circumstances I would agree with you Broncoinindy. But given our current circumstances in the running game if Torain can give Denver a fresh pair of legs in the home stretch of the season that could prove to be very valuable.

broncosinindy
10-20-2008, 09:19 AM
Under 99.99% of all circumstances I would agree with you Broncoinindy. But give our current circumstances in the running game if Torain can give Denver a fresh pair of legs in the home stretch of the season that could prove to be very valuable.

Yeah i just hope it dont bite us in the ass. and risk further injury. If he can show us something the last half of the year. i wouldnt object to drafting spiller. to compliment torain..

broncosinindy
10-20-2008, 09:20 AM
We have a high five for good posts can we get a Bitch slap for bad posts LMAO.

Traveler
10-20-2008, 09:26 AM

My guess is that if our defense makes Cassel look like Tom Brady tonight, Barrett just might be signed to the active roster.

What could it hurt?

CoachChaz
10-20-2008, 09:30 AM
Yeah i just hope it dont bite us in the ass. and risk further injury. If he can show us something the last half of the year. i wouldnt object to drafting spiller. to compliment torain..

Screw that. Between Young, Hall and Torain, we should be set for awhile. Our draft needs to be spent on defense next year. Every pick. Hopefuly 2 or 3 of our picks are actually decent players that arent immediately injured.

Mike
10-20-2008, 09:42 AM
Screw that. Between Young, Hall and Torain, we should be set for awhile. Our draft needs to be spent on defense next year. Every pick. Hopefuly 2 or 3 of our picks are actually decent players that arent immediately injured.

I agree that defense should be the priority in the draft...I just hope they don't reach on players in order to fill a need. That shouldn't be a problem given their variety of defensive needs (DE, DT, S, LB) though.

MOtorboat
10-20-2008, 09:46 AM
I agree that defense should be the priority in the draft...I just hope they don't reach on players in order to fill a need. That shouldn't be a problem given their variety of defensive needs (DE, DT, S, LB) though.

In other words...draft best DEFENSIVE player available.

atwater27
10-20-2008, 09:57 AM
If our defense was worth a shit we would be running alot more. Then we would really know how good Selvin and Hall are. Spot running on 2nd and 1 doesn't really tell you how good our backs are, even though they are averaging well over 5 YPC.

honz
10-20-2008, 10:08 AM
If our defense was worth a shit we would be running alot more. Then we would really know how good Selvin and Hall are. Spot running on 2nd and 1 doesn't really tell you how good our backs are, even though they are averaging well over 5 YPC.
You have a point, but I think I have seen enough of both guys to tell that Selvin can play and is a good change of pace back that could compliment a big bruising back...but Andre went undrafted for a reason.

underrated29
10-20-2008, 11:16 AM
its gonna go down like this........My crystal ball says so.

torains first game back- 6 carries for 16
second game 6 carries for 35 yards
3rd game 15 carries for 98 yards, td.
4th game 15 carries for 62 yards
5th game 18 carries 102
6th game 25 carries (starter) 165 yards 2td

and so on and so forth.

MOtorboat
10-20-2008, 11:29 AM
its gonna go down like this........My crystal ball says so.

torains first game back- 6 carries for 16
second game 6 carries for 35 yards
3rd game 15 carries for 98 yards, td.
4th game 15 carries for 62 yards
5th game 18 carries 102
6th game 25 carries (starter) 165 yards 2td

and so on and so forth.

So, can we expect 35 carries for 300 yards and 6 TDs by next September?

Buff
10-20-2008, 01:00 PM
:rolleyes:

Here we go again...more bullshit from lex about Ryan Torain.

I'm sure there is alot of history with you and lex I haven't seen... But of the two posts I've seen today, he's made valid points, and you've been a flaming troll...

Lex: 2
Mo: 0

underrated29
10-20-2008, 01:07 PM
So, can we expect 35 carries for 300 yards and 6 TDs by next September?

More or less. I am not sure about 6 tds. Hopefully....

We do face the falcons, chefs,faiders, jets and browns, all after torain will be back.

If we cant (or he cant) put up some freakish numbers on those chumps, then i will accept defeat.

Dont bet on it though. Pittman does well, a younger, faster, stronger (except in the bicpes) torain should do awesome.

TXBRONC
10-20-2008, 01:33 PM
More or less. I am not sure about 6 tds. Hopefully....

We do face the falcons, chefs,faiders, jets and browns, all after torain will be back.

If we cant (or he cant) put up some freakish numbers on those chumps, then i will accept defeat.

Dont bet on it though. Pittman does well, a younger, faster, stronger (except in the bicpes) torain should do awesome.

I hope you're right, but I'm not so sure. :salute:

topscribe
10-20-2008, 02:04 PM

I'm not sure about that. It's going to take a while for Torain to get into football shape . . .

-----

broncosinindy
10-20-2008, 02:08 PM

i definently aggree that we need to go defensive early and often. unless we pick up a key in FA such as peterson MLB he should be a upgrade plug and play for two years or so. and Hopefully we are able to get good production out of our Rookie DT.. whose name escapes me presently. Powell? if that is possible we would need DE or two and a S or two which would leave us to pick a G/C, CB, WR/PR, and RB

tubby
10-20-2008, 03:38 PM
I'm sure there is alot of history with you and lex I haven't seen... But of the two posts I've seen today, he's made valid points, and you've been a flaming troll...

Lex: 2
Mo: 0

I stopped reading his posts months ago. The little guy needs a hug.