PDA

View Full Version : Texas A&M's Miller bound for Denver

Denver Native (Carol)
04-28-2011, 09:57 PM
ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- The Denver Broncos will have quite a 1-2 pass-rushing punch as they try to climb back into the playoff picture after a five-year drought.

The Broncos selected Texas A&M linebacker Von Miller, the premier pass-rusher in this year's draft, with the second overall pick Thursday night to help fix the league's leakiest defense.

They'll team the Aggies' athletic playmaker with 2009 NFL sack king Elvis Dumervil, who missed all of last season with a torn chest muscle a year after when he lead the league with 17 sacks.

"Oh man. I know a lot about Elvis," Miller said. "When I was in high school, it was people saying that it was because of Elvis Dumervil, who opened it up for smaller guys to come off the edge. I know a lot about Elvis Dumervil and I'm excited that he's back, injury-free. I'm glad to be a teammate."

John Elway gushed over Miller leading up to the draft, saying the dominant senior is "a guy that when you turn on the film, you don't even have to know what number he is. ... He's a guy that's all over the field."

And they'll plan to play him all over in Denver's defense and on every down if they can.

"It's crucial in this league to be able to rush the passer and Von adds that dimension to our defense," new coach John Fox said. "He's also able to drop back into pass coverage. There's no doubt his versatility is going to make us a better football team."

rest of article - http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/09000d5d81f8bd27/article/texas-ams-miller-bound-for-denver?module=HP_headlines2col

vettesplus
04-28-2011, 10:05 PM
thank god, its finally over!!!! good luck to Von Miller!!!

camdisco24
04-28-2011, 10:31 PM
Can't wait to see him in action. Hopefully he's effective right away.

Ziggy
04-28-2011, 10:42 PM
Defensive rookie of the year in 2011.

D1g1tal j1m
04-28-2011, 10:49 PM
Sacks & QB pressure will be a welcome site after watching the opposing QB's last year standing in the pocket and picking us apart.

Denver Native (Carol)
04-29-2011, 10:06 AM
Some things from article:

NEW YORK — Those thick-rimmed glasses couldn't hide Texas A&M linebacker Von Miller's tears when his name was called second overall by the Denver Broncos on Thursday night.

"I was watching my phone, and I looked over to my dad's and saw the 303 area code, so I knew immediately where the call was coming from," Miller said. "I flashed back to Little League and seventh grade, eighth grade and all the people who said I can't."

Some considered Miller, not Auburn quarterback Cam Newton, the best player in the second prime-time draft.

"Von Miller is the best player in this draft," Green Bay Packers director of college scouting John Dorsey said. "Why I say that is you can't throw away from him. He's going to put pressure on the quarterback.

"With Patrick Peterson (the LSU cornerback who went fifth to the Arizona Cardinals), you can throw away from him. But not Von."

full article - http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/2011-04-28-von-miller_N.htm

topscribe
04-29-2011, 10:23 AM
Sacks & QB pressure will be a welcome site after watching the opposing QB's last year standing in the pocket and picking us apart.

Von Miller, a healthy Dumervil, and Ayers playing back at his natural position:
Something tells me we might witness something different on the field this year . . .

-----

LTC Pain
04-29-2011, 10:55 AM
Von Miller, a healthy Dumervil, and Ayers playing back at his natural position:
Something tells me we might witness something different on the field this year . . .

-----

Add a DT (Austin, Paea, etc.) or two in the mix from the remainder of the draft and I certainly share your optimism :salute:

tomjonesrocks
04-29-2011, 11:27 AM
All day so far it's been how lucky Buffalo got with Denver blowing it on Dareus.

Of course we don't know until a few seasons from now how this will turn out I am a little tired of Denver ALWAYS going against the consensus best pick and conventional wisdom.

Hope the Broncos were right.

CoachChaz
04-29-2011, 11:29 AM
All day so far it's been how lucky Buffalo got with Denver blowing it on Dareus.

Of course we don't know until a few seasons from now how this will turn out I am a little tired of Denver ALWAYS going against the consensus best pick and conventional wisdom.

That's strange because I think if Denver had passed on both Dareus AND Miller...Buffalo still would have drafted Miller.

tomjonesrocks
04-29-2011, 11:40 AM
That's strange because I think if Denver had passed on both Dareus AND Miller...Buffalo still would have drafted Miller.

Fact is these talkers know jack shit. At one point it was all Fairely was the best player in the draft, then Bowers, then blah blah blah.

Still it would be nice hearing nationally -- just once -- some positivity.

BigDaddyBronco
04-29-2011, 12:15 PM
The one thing you can say about Miller is that he is really on another level athletically. I think the difference between him and an Akeem Ayers is much greater than between Dareus and Austin or Paea. That is pretty good value for the #2 pick. If Dareus doesn't turn out to be a great pass rusher and is just a great run defender, then it was too high to pick him at #2. I still wanted Dareus, as I think he is going to be a Haloti Ngata type, but if Miller is Mathews or D. Thomas, then we did great and there isn't anything to complain about.

LTC Pain
04-29-2011, 12:17 PM
The one thing you can say about Miller is that he is really on another level athletically. I think the difference between him and an Akeem Ayers is much greater than between Dareus and Austin or Paea. That is pretty good value for the #2 pick. If Dareus doesn't turn out to be a great pass rusher and is just a great run defender, then it was too high to pick him at #2. I still wanted Dareus, as I think he is going to be a Haloti Ngata type, but if Miller is Mathews or D. Thomas, then we did great and there isn't anything to complain about.

:salute::salute::salute:

topscribe
04-29-2011, 01:25 PM

Except Dareus was not the consensus pick. In fact, Lombardi and Mayock are
among those who had Denver taking Miller. While I also had Dareus, I would say
that those two analysts, among others, are pretty good at what they do. Not
to mention the hours upon hours of the large number of Broncos scouts and
coaches investigating the respective players on film and in person.

Buffalo got lucky in drafting Dareus because the Broncos took Miller, yes. But
methinks Buffalo would have gotten lucky with Miller, had the Broncos taken
Dareus . . .

-----

Lonestar
04-29-2011, 02:21 PM
Your preaching to the choir.

rcsodak
04-29-2011, 02:38 PM
Fact is these talkers know jack shit. At one point it was all Fairely was the best player in the draft, then Bowers, then blah blah blah.

Still it would be nice hearing nationally -- just once -- some positivity.

Why let it bother you? Munchak said he couldn't care less about opinion on the locker pick.bbthey did their homework, which is more than the naysauers can say.