PDA

View Full Version : If matched up with Moss, Champ sees a 'good battle'

Denver Native (Carol)
10-18-2008, 11:41 AM
http://www.rockymountainnews.com/news/2008/oct/17/broncos-report-bailey-ready-for-moss/

Combined, they have been named to 14 Pro Bowls, so whenever Broncos cornerback Champ Bailey and Patriots wide receiver Randy Moss are on the same field, there is certainly a chance of something compelling happening.

"I wouldn't mind (matching up), that would be a good battle," Bailey said. "I know a lot of people like to see stuff like that."

The last time the Broncos faced a team with Moss in the lineup - against the Oakland Raiders in November 2006 - they had Bailey shadow Moss all over the field much of the time.

"They've gone well for me because, unfortunately, he hasn't had a great quarterback," Bailey said. "I'm just glad when we play them this year, he doesn't have (Tom) Brady throwing him the ball."

Moss finished with one reception for 8 yards in what was a 17-13 Broncos win. That day Bailey followed Moss all over the formation, going from the defensive left - where Bailey usually plays - over to the defensive right and even into the slot.

And Bailey rarely has played in the slot at any other time with the Broncos.

This season, with a steady diet of zone coverages the Broncos have played - defenders are responsible for specific sections of the field rather than a specific player - the Broncos have yet to lock up Bailey on one receiver for an entire game.

However, former defensive coordinator Larry Coyer, with current defensive coordinator Bob Slowik as the secondary coach, often put Bailey on some of the more high-profile receivers the team faced such as Moss or Terrell Owens.

Teams primarily have avoided Bailey this season, with the past two Broncos opponents - Tampa Bay and Jacksonville - not attempting a pass into Bailey's area of the field.

If the Broncos don't match Bailey up, Moss could find another familiar foe waiting. Dre Bly faced Moss three times - Moss was inactive for a fourth - in Bly's time in Detroit when Moss played for the Vikings.

Moss had 85, 56 and 104 yards receiving in those three games with only one touchdown.

"I think I've always been successful against Randy in the times I've faced him," Bly said. "When you play corner in this league, you love that kind of challenge."

Bailey and Bly both said Moss' speed, even in his 10th NFL season, is difficult to deal with, along with his reach, his ability to play the ball in the air and his ability to position his body in the catch.

"He's still one of the best to me, if not the best," Bailey said. "The way he plays, he's so capable of making the big play at any moment."

"Just those ball skills," Bly said. "He gets himself to where you can't get it."

Moss piled up 1,493 yards last season to go with a single-season record 23 touchdown catches with Brady on his way toward an MVP award.

This season with Matt Cassel replacing Brady, who suffered a season-ending knee injury in the season opener, things have dialed back some in the Patriots offense. But Moss still has had two 100-yard games - 116 against the Chiefs and 111 against the 49ers - and has caught two of Cassel's three touchdown passes.

SR
10-18-2008, 12:20 PM
I'd like to see Champ shadow Moss. I get tired of seeing Champ line up exclusively on the left side.

dogfish
10-18-2008, 02:18 PM
The last time the Broncos faced a team with Moss in the lineup - against the Oakland Raiders in November 2006 - they had Bailey shadow Moss all over the field much of the time.

something like that would be way too crazy for slowbrain to attempt-- i'm sure he'll let NE dictate the matchups, and champ will spend the day shutting down the ultra-dangerous jabar gaffney while moss is running free in the secondary. . . bly can't handle him-- he'll get torched IF cassell can get moss the ball, which is a fairly large if. . .

JKcatch724
10-18-2008, 04:23 PM
something like that would be way too crazy for slowbrain to attempt-- i'm sure he'll let NE dictate the matchups, and champ will spend the day shutting down the ultra-dangerous jabar gaffney while moss is running free in the secondary. . . bly can't handle him-- he'll get torched IF cassell can get moss the ball, which is a fairly large if. . .

I have a flashing image of dre bly three steps behind moss as he runs into the endzone :tsk:

Simple concept: the best defender should take the best offensive player....

Hobe
10-18-2008, 04:42 PM
The problem with Champ is that he is a complete football player, not just a "cover corner". He will look for the run and offenses can occasionally fool him that way. Moss may occasionally try to block, but well...yardage lines get it the way some time, too! Champ will be there this Sunday! You Bet ya!

Superchop 7
10-18-2008, 07:04 PM
I wonder if the defense will "feel like" playing. (Aside from Champ)

omac
10-19-2008, 06:57 AM
I wonder if the defense will "feel like" playing. (Aside from Champ)

The defense had better look good. Besides losing Brady, their RBs are pretty banged up too.

Bronco9798
10-19-2008, 08:00 AM
Champ needs to use that 5 yard cushion from the LOS and get up on Moss a few times and bump the hell out of him a few times and try to intimidate him a bit. That's not going to happen though. Just a thought.

omac
10-19-2008, 08:15 AM
Champ needs to use that 5 yard cushion from the LOS and get up on Moss a few times and bump the hell out of him a few times and try to intimidate him a bit. That's not going to happen though. Just a thought.

Yeah, that's supposed to be the way to work Moss, since he isn't too physical. But I think the Broncos like to wait until the receivers get the 1st down before tackling them. :D

Bronco9798
10-19-2008, 08:18 AM
Yeah, that's supposed to be the way to work Moss, since he isn't too physical. But I think the Broncos like to wait until the receivers get the 1st down before tackling them. :D

You're right! What was I thinking. :D

CrazyHorse
10-20-2008, 09:43 AM
Marshall and Royal should have a field day against Hobbs and O'Neal.:lol:

TXBRONC
10-20-2008, 10:32 AM

If the offensive line can continue its stellar work of keeping Jay upright then Marshall and Royal should be able to own their respective match ups.

Lonestar
10-20-2008, 10:47 AM

actually delta will most likely turn in a PRO BOWL performance tonight.. Lets hope he is not motivated like that..

Dean
10-20-2008, 11:26 AM
O'Neil is a gambler. :beer: Run double moves with a deep route to occupy the safety and it looks like a big gain and maybe six points.

TXBRONC
10-20-2008, 11:28 AM
O'Neil is a gambler. :beer: Run double moves with a deep route to occupy the safety and it looks like a big gain and maybe six points.

The last time O'Neal went up against Denver he was irrelevant.

Traveler
10-20-2008, 11:40 AM
If Champ is matched up against Moss, my hope is that he isn't too rusty. Teams have avoided him for much of the last two seasons.

Philip Rivers tested him a bit this season with some success. Not saying Cassel is anywhere close to the Sparkie's QB in terms of talent. Guess it depends on which defense shows up tonight.

TXBRONC
10-20-2008, 11:44 AM
If Champ is matched up against Moss, my hope is that he isn't too rusty. Teams have avoided him for much of the last two seasons.

Philip Rivers tested him a bit this season with some success. Not saying Cassel is anywhere close to the Sparkie's QB in terms of talent. Guess it depends on which defense shows up tonight.

If the front seven can get pressure on Cassell consistently Champ and Bly both could have solid games.

LRtagger
10-20-2008, 12:00 PM

A couple of weeks ago you told me that my opinion that Champ and Dre should play on the LOS from time to time was irrelevant. :confused:

dogfish
10-20-2008, 02:04 PM

he makes meangelo hall look like a good corner. . . . :lol: :lol:

GEM
10-20-2008, 02:16 PM

The last time O'Neal played for Denver he was irrelevant.

:D

TXBRONC
10-20-2008, 02:55 PM
The last time O'Neal played for Denver he was irrelevant.

:D

You got that right. :salute:

LRtagger
10-20-2008, 03:58 PM
Oh well, he was better than Roc.

Lonestar
10-20-2008, 05:01 PM

was he not playing for DEN in that Game? :laugh::laugh::laugh:

The guy made a great play and then gave it back..

TXBRONC
10-20-2008, 06:54 PM
was he not playing for DEN in that Game? :laugh::laugh::laugh:

The guy made a great play and then gave it back..

Ah no you got the wrong game, wrong team and the wrong city. That was 2003 and Detha still played for Denver. The game you're referring too was the one against the Patriots. He returned a punt for touchdown and not long after that he got burned for touchdown. Danny Kanell was filling in for Plummer who had broken his foot.

O'Neal was traded to the Bengals before the start of the 2004 season. It just so happens that we had to play the Bengals in Cincinnati that year. O'Neal looked like a world beater against Plummer. He intercepted him and played pretty good defense that night. Maybe this will help this was the same year that Plummer threw 20 interceptions for 5th time in his career.

The next time we played them was in 2006 (Jay's rookie season) in Denver and he didn't do anything in that game. So that being said if Jake was still the quarterback I would be concerned but since he's not I'm not as concerned. :coffee:

JKcatch724
10-20-2008, 07:08 PM
Roc.

:lol: