PDA

View Full Version : Bly fined for criticizing officials

omac
10-17-2008, 07:05 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/football/nfl/10/17/bly.fined.ap/index.html

Bly fined for criticizing officials

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. (AP) -- The NFL fined Broncos cornerback Dre' Bly $20,000 on Friday for inappropriate remarks about officials after Denver's 24-17 loss to Jacksonville last weekend.

Bly was agitated over an illegal contact call he drew in the third quarter, plus a pass interference call on Broncos safety Marlon McCree in the waning moments of the game.

The Broncos have caught their share of breaks from the officials this season, most notably on Ed Hochuli's blown call in a 39-38 win over San Diego, and Bly hinted that things were evening out.

"I guess they've been evaluating us and say we won games we shouldn't have won. So, I guess they're going to get a call against us," Bly said of referee Bill Carollo's officiating crew after the game Sunday.

Bly wasn't available for comment after the fine was announced Friday.

However, he stood by his comments the day before, saying he didn't think his criticism was excessive or out of line.

"I wasn't cussing them or (saying) he was a bad guy," Bly said. "I just said it was judgment calls. But I thought they were bad calls to make at (a) critical part of the game."

Bly was flagged for illegal contact, even though he was tossed to the ground by Jaguars receiver Reggie Williams. The play turned a potential fourth-and-13 into an automatic first down. The Jaguars went on to score, giving them a 24-10 lead.

McCree was whistled for pass interference on tight end Greg Estandia that gave Jacksonville a first down at the Denver 32 late in the game. Replays appeared to show no interference on the play.

"They have to go on their instincts and their instincts told them to throw a flag," Bly said. "We can't dwell on that, that's in the past. We've got to move forward."

jrelway
10-17-2008, 07:10 PM
Troy Polamalu said it best in his interview.

Northman
10-17-2008, 07:13 PM
Bad call but they had been getting beat all day so its of little consequence.

JKcatch724
10-17-2008, 07:57 PM
:rolleyes:

This stuff kills me. Both were clearly horrible calls and made huge differences in the game.

20k? Man, thats no joke even for a pro athlete. The NFL should take that money and buy some balls so they don't get all butt-hurt whenever somebody questions what they do.

Just curious though, did Turner get fined after the Hochuli call?

Northman
10-17-2008, 08:17 PM

Im sure he did. Even if the refs are wrong speaking out against them is a fine regardless.

JKcatch724
10-17-2008, 08:19 PM
Im sure he did. Even if the refs are wrong speaking out against them is a fine regardless.

ya, i wonder if he got a steeper fine because it was so highly publicized.

SR
10-17-2008, 08:27 PM
Bly needs to shut up and play.

NorthernLights
10-17-2008, 08:28 PM

This stuff kills me. Both were clearly horrible calls and made huge differences in the game.

20k? Man, thats no joke even for a pro athlete. The NFL should take that money and buy some balls so they don't get all butt-hurt whenever somebody questions what they do.

Turner didn't get fined because all he said was the call was "unacceptable". That was it. He wasn't questioning the integrity of the ref, like is sounds like Bly was doing. I also think they were being a bit easy on Turner in light of what happened.

NorthernLights
10-17-2008, 08:32 PM
I believe fines are actually deductible from taxes as charitable contributions towards reducing income expense. That is why they don't put up too much of a fight when they get knocked in the purse.

Maybe someone with more tax knowledge can confirm.

JKcatch724
10-17-2008, 08:41 PM
Turner didn't get fined because all he said was the call was "unacceptable". That was it. He wasn't questioning the integrity of the ref, like is sounds like Bly was doing. I also think they were being a bit easy on Turner in light of what happened.

Regardless of whether he was questioning the integrity of Hochuli, his quotes were all over TV and the papers, so I think that should warrant a fine. Especially since he represents the whole team.

NorthernLights
10-17-2008, 08:44 PM
Regardless of whether he was questioning the integrity of Hochuli, his quotes were all over TV and the papers, so I think that should warrant a fine. Especially since he represents the whole team.

I tend to agree, but again, I think they cut him a bit more slack. Not saying it is right or even consistent, but I think that is what happened.

Northman
10-17-2008, 08:47 PM
I think the fact that Ed felt so bad about the call went a long way in regards to punishing Turner. Usually you dont hear much from the ref in question but Ed was heartbroken over the call that it took a lot of the spotlight off Turner.

JKcatch724
10-17-2008, 08:48 PM
I tend to agree, but again, I think they cut him a bit more slack. Not saying it is right or even consistent, but I think that is what happened.

I dunno, I think these fines in most cases are stupid. Most of the time the player/coach is asked about it in an interview or press conference and they simply answer. I don't see the point of fining somebody for that.

omac
10-17-2008, 09:01 PM

Yeah, those were definitely key plays. Part of the game, though; sometimes, the calls roll our way, sometimes they don't.

20k ... ouch.

Broncolingus
10-17-2008, 11:42 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/football/nfl/10/17/bly.fined.ap/index.html

Bly fined for criticizing officials

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. (AP) -- The NFL fined Broncos cornerback Dre' Bly $20,000 on Friday for inappropriate remarks about officials after Denver's 24-17 loss to Jacksonville last weekend.

Bly was agitated over an illegal contact call he drew in the third quarter, plus a pass interference call on Broncos safety Marlon McCree in the waning moments of the game.

The Broncos have caught their share of breaks from the officials this season, most notably on Ed Hochuli's blown call in a 39-38 win over San Diego, and Bly hinted that things were evening out.

"I guess they've been evaluating us and say we won games we shouldn't have won. So, I guess they're going to get a call against us," Bly said of referee Bill Carollo's officiating crew after the game Sunday.

Bly wasn't available for comment after the fine was announced Friday.

However, he stood by his comments the day before, saying he didn't think his criticism was excessive or out of line.

"I wasn't cussing them or (saying) he was a bad guy," Bly said. "I just said it was judgment calls. But I thought they were bad calls to make at (a) critical part of the game."

Bly was flagged for illegal contact, even though he was tossed to the ground by Jaguars receiver Reggie Williams. The play turned a potential fourth-and-13 into an automatic first down. The Jaguars went on to score, giving them a 24-10 lead.

McCree was whistled for pass interference on tight end Greg Estandia that gave Jacksonville a first down at the Denver 32 late in the game. Replays appeared to show no interference on the play.

"They have to go on their instincts and their instincts told them to throw a flag," Bly said. "We can't dwell on that, that's in the past. We've got to move forward."

Bad call (one that I saw against Bly) in that game...

...that said, Denver has had it's share of 'good' calls all year (the ENTIRE nation knows what I'm talking about)...

...$TFU and do your 'talking' on the field.

...OR behind the locker room door criticize the defensive line that gives QBs all friggin day to throw the ball.

slim
10-18-2008, 12:30 AM
He should be fined for sucking out loud. JMO.

Nomad
10-18-2008, 05:36 AM
He should be fined for sucking out loud. JMO.

That was my thought when i saw the thread title! If he was fined for every missed tackle and missed assignment, he wouldn't have much money!

Den21vsBal19
10-18-2008, 06:16 AM
That was my thought when i saw the thread title! If he was fined for every missed tackle and missed assignment, he wouldn't have much money!
Yeah, but the DL would owe the GDP of a small industrialized nation ;)

Nomad
10-18-2008, 06:24 AM
Yeah, but the DL would owe the GDP of a small industrialized nation ;)

I agree!!

Rex
10-18-2008, 08:53 AM
B.S. They were HORRIBLE calls. Game changing calls. Especially the pass interference on McCree.

Whether for or against your team, if the officials make bad calls, they should be fined.

Mike
10-18-2008, 09:16 AM
B.S. They were HORRIBLE calls. Game changing calls. Especially the pass interference on McCree.

Whether for or against your team, if the officials make bad calls, they should be fined.

No they shouldn't. Some calls go your way, some go against you. Refs are humans and make mistakes. A ref that blows enough calls will have to answer for it. But to fine them for making a split second judgment call is stupid. I do wish they would make some penalties challengable though.

Denver had their chances. Don't put the ball on the ground so much. Put the ball in the endzone.

MOtorboat
10-18-2008, 09:18 AM
But to fine them for making a split second judgment call is stupid.

The same would go towards the fines for big hits then, eh?

Mike
10-18-2008, 09:22 AM
The same would go towards the fines for big hits then, eh?

In some cases, yes. But a player that leads with his helmet deserves a fine. Same with headhunting a defenseless receiver. You know the rules, play by em.

MOtorboat
10-18-2008, 09:23 AM
You know the rules, play by em.

That's an interesting comment to conclude that statement...

Mike
10-18-2008, 09:25 AM
That's an interesting comment to conclude that statement...

Sorry, nothing mod related...if that is how you took it. ;)

I meant, these guys know the rules of the game and should play by them.

MOtorboat
10-18-2008, 09:26 AM
Sorry, nothing mod related...if that is how you took it. ;)

I meant, these guys know the rules of the game and should play by them.

Oh, no...not mods...referees...and again...

Mike
10-18-2008, 09:31 AM
Oh, no...not mods...referees...and again...

Ok.

Yes, refs should know the rules. However, there is a difference in a ref making a split second decision on PI and on a defender deciding to lead with his helmet instead of his shoulder. I would think that the league would look to see how the defender positions himself, how the WR moves (does he duck...change angle of how the hit is deliverd...if the WR didn't move would the defender have hit him with his shoulder...etc) before giving a fine. I think they do.

I see your point though.

MOtorboat
10-18-2008, 09:35 AM
Ok.

Yes, refs should know the rules. However, there is a difference in a ref making a split second decision on PI and on a defender deciding to lead with his helmet instead of his shoulder. I would think that the league would look to see how the defender positions himself, how the WR moves (does he duck...change angle of how the hit is deliverd...if the WR didn't move would the defender have hit him with his shoulder...etc) before giving a fine. I think they do.

I see your point though.

I don't necessarily agree with cswil, but its a very interesting point. If you start saying all those things about the DB, you can say the exact same things about the referee. Was he in the right position? What angle did he take?

They are both human errors, one is fined, one is not...seems a little inconsistent.

gobroncsnv
10-18-2008, 09:58 AM
I can't think of anyone who wants to see blown calls upheld, but I also don't want to sit through a replay everytime one is blown, either, no matter what part of the game it's in. If you let a blown call beat you, (and that's the lesson you take away from it) then you'll always have an excuse to not improve, just sit around and whine, waiting for the "wealth" to be spread your way.

Bly needs to do a lot more shut up and play than feeling like the officials cost us the game. The bad calls even out, they are the human element of the game. Again, NOBODY thinks that a blown call IMPROVES the game, but they are a part of the game, as seen under the heading of "them's the breaks"...

weazel
10-18-2008, 11:37 AM
I'm getting sick of watching sports. It seems that the ref's are deciding way too many games and it makes the leagues look pathetic

Rex
10-18-2008, 07:35 PM
Players are human too. Dont fine them 20K for calling out a refs mistake.

There are entirely too many penalties called on defensive backs already. When they are horseshit contact calls on 3rd and long when the QB is scrambling and flat out horrible like it was vs. McCree....they should take some heat.

Den21vsBal19
10-19-2008, 03:03 AM
I'm getting sick of watching sports. It seems that the ref's are deciding way too many games and it makes the leagues look pathetic
Unfortunately, that's a problem that's not just restricted to the NFL, it's happening across the board

Bronco9798
10-19-2008, 08:19 AM
Bly needs to criticize himself before he starts criticizing officials. You live with the Good calls, and die with the bad. Just part of the game. Dre should really just S T F U and play football.

scott.475
10-19-2008, 04:13 PM
All that fining officials for bad calls would do is cause them to get gun shy, and not call a lot of penalties. Better to not call a penalty than to get fined for a bad call.

MOtorboat
10-19-2008, 04:16 PM
All that fining officials for bad calls would do is cause them to get gun shy, and not call a lot of penalties. Better to not call a penalty than to get fined for a bad call.

Good.

The less penalties in the final minutes of the game, the better. It detracts from the game and creates these types of discussions.