PDA

View Full Version : Stokely an unsung hero in the NFL

honz
10-17-2008, 12:08 PM
http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afcwest/0-3-496/Denver-s-Stokley-is-a-gem-in-the-slot.html

Posted by ESPN.com's Bill Williamson

As Eddie Royal was preparing to become an NFL player in the last year, he mimicked every move from one player.

He was told to watch Brandon Stokley. He was told to envision being Stokley. The expectation was that Royal would be a slot receiver in the NFL. Thus, he was told to study the best.

"I knew a lot about Brandon when I came here because I watched so much film of him," said Royal, who Denver took with the No. 42 overall pick in April's draft.

Ironically, unlike the experts told Royal, he didn't have to study Stokley as much as he did. Royal became an instant starter in Denver as a rookie. Thus, Stokley is the Broncos' No. 3 receiver.

"Every day I learn something from Brandon," Royal said. "He is the best slot receiver ever to play the game. And I really believe that."

Royal is not alone. Denver coach Mike Shanahan routinely calls Stokley the best No. 3 receiver ever to wear a uniform. Quarterbacks of Stokley's past, Trent Dilfer and Peyton Manning, have also lauded Stokley as the best of his trade. Dilfer calls Stokley "one of the unsung heroes of the NFL."

Being known as the best player at his position will not get Stokley in the Pro Football Hall of Fame. Slot receivers don't carry that kind of cache. But Stokley will long be remembered.

"I can't say enough about Brandon Stokley," Shanahan said.

Stokley, who own Super Bowl rings from playing with both Baltimore and Indianapolis, joined Denver last season. The Broncos were looking for a veteran receiver to help mold both quarterback Jay Cutler and young receiver Brandon Marshall. Stokley signed a one-year contract in March, 2007 but he was so valuable Denver gave him a long-term deal in December, paying the No. 3 receiver like a well-paid No. 2.

Stokley, 32, is well worth the money. When Royal was hurt Oct. 5 against Tampa Bay, Stokley came in and was an instant force. He caught six quick passes and he caught the Broncos' only touchdown in a 16-13 win.

Playing the next week against Jacksonville, Stokley scored Denver's first touchdown, but then left the game with a concussion, which Stokley said this week was the 8th to 10th of his career. Denver's offense sputtered without Stokley.

"Brandon is a big part of what we do," Cutler said.

The team is unsure if Stokley, who entered the NFL in 1999 with Baltimore in the fourth round out of Louisiana-Lafayette, to be able to play Monday night at New England in a pivotal game for the 4-2 Broncos in their final game before the bye.

The high-powered Denver offense has struggled in recent weeks and has been banged up. The Broncos will need their full complement of offensive weapons in New England. They need Stokley.

Even though Cutler has Marshall and Royal, one of the best young receiving tandems to throw to in the NFL, and tight end Tony Scheffler, it is Stokley who completes Denver's dangerous pass offense. He always finds a way to get open.

"He's the great bail-out receiver. He always seems to be open," said Dilfer, who threw a touchdown pass to Stokley in the Ravens' Super Bowl win seven years ago. "Brandon is a class by himself as a slot receiver."

Dilfer said what makes Stokley so effective is his combination of physical and mental gifts. Dilfer said Stokley has very strong hands and he is a very solid route runner. Dilfer said he always knew Stokley could get open and haul in passes.

"In addition to those physical gifts, he has a very high football IQ," Dilfer said. "He is a very easy receiver to throw to. He has a big window to throw to because of all of his abilities combined with his instincts. He's just a dream to throw to. Brandon is a true professional and he has made an art of being a slot receiver ... Brandon in one of the unsung heroes of the NFL."

Stokley said he knew being a slot receiver was his only chance of sticking in the NFL. However, he had no idea he'd be in the league for 10 years or he'd be considered by some as the best slot receiver to play the game.

Being a No. 3 receiver is much like being a reliever in baseball. You never how much you are going to play. When Royal went down with an ankle injury against the Buccaneers in the third quarter, Stokley had to play more than expected.

"I don't think it's an easy job," Stokley said. "You always have to be prepared. You never know how much you'll play. But it's my job and being prepared is what my job is all about. I always have to be ready to help this team."

And Stokley does his job well enough that young NFL hopefuls like Royal study his every move.

"Eddie is smart," Dilfer said. "I suggest every young receiver watch film of Brandon Stokley."

broncofaninfla
10-17-2008, 12:36 PM
Good article, thanks!

Nomad
10-17-2008, 01:21 PM
I believe Royal is an important piece to the BRONCOS, but I think Stokley is even more important. Maybe if Royal does play, he should try the slot position (someone started a thread about this) and let Jackson or Martinez take the outside position. Welker and Stokley are fun to watch because they are so good at their positions, but safety/health first.

Den21vsBal19
10-17-2008, 05:46 PM
I believe Royal is an important piece to the BRONCOS, but I think Stokley is even more important. Maybe if Royal does play, he should try the slot position (someone started a thread about this) and let Jackson or Martinez take the outside position. Welker and Stokley are fun to watch because they are so good at their positions, but safety/health first.
You may be onto something there, personally I'd play Royal opposite Marshall in two reciever sets then put him inside in multiple sets............

What I really want to see though is what we got in the Oakland game...............I want to see Royal lining up all over the place, causing confusion..............

honz
10-17-2008, 06:31 PM
You may be onto something there, personally I'd play Royal opposite Marshall in two reciever sets then put him inside in multiple sets............

What I really want to see though is what we got in the Oakland game...............I want to see Royal lining up all over the place, causing confusion..............
I agree. Mybe it is just because our offense hasn't been as explosive the past couple games, but I feel that we have lost some of the creativity that we had in the Oakland and San Diego games.

JKcatch724
10-17-2008, 07:07 PM

Exactly. Everyone pegs Royal as a slot guy, but I've thought since day one he would be a good option opposite Marshall.

Nomad
10-18-2008, 05:31 AM

I'm not pegging Royal as a slot receiver, but with Stokley not playing I see Royal as the best fit for the position. You never know until you try and to say Royal's strength is at #2 without trying the other position would be narrow minded. When Stokley comes back, I don't want any other receiver playing the position because he's that good, a veteran, and can teach Royal/another receiver a thing or two! And confusion is good, Shanny needs to change things around every now and then!

Nomad
10-18-2008, 10:37 PM
I know Stokley still has a couple years, but if not Denver needs to draft Simpfly(sp) from Texas to take his place!:nod:

omac
10-19-2008, 06:54 AM
Stokley always manages to get those key 3rd down completions, and he can get them no matter how low to the ground Jay throws the ball. Royal's great, but we need Stokley to get healthy soon.