PDA

View Full Version : Marshall's new plan

Denver Native (Carol)
10-17-2008, 10:17 AM
http://www.rockymountainnews.com/news/2008/oct/16/broncos-report-marshall-turns-over-a-new-leaf/

Brandon Marshall has been seen with a new constant companion this week: a football.

Two critical fumbles in the past three games spooked the Broncos receiver enough that after the loss to Jacksonville, he openly suggested he should stop the open-field darting and dancing that have made him one of the league's more prolific receivers after the catch.

Marshall changed his no-dancing tune after sleeping on it. But he did start a new routine.

"That's what makes me me. I could be a good receiver, a great receiver without all those fancy moves and stuff like that," he said. "But that's what keeps me playing this game, having fun out there. Every time I make a guy miss and see the expression on the guy's face in the huddle or the sidelines or I see the reaction of the crowd, that's what keeps me going."

During his news conference Thursday, Marshall cupped the football with his right hand, then his left, while holding it tightly against his chest both times. He has been doing the same during practices this week after his turnover inside the 10-yard line against the Jaguars.

"Ball security is job security - yours and mine," Marshall said when asked why he had the new accoutrement. "That's a famous quote by D.J. McCarthy, my wide receivers coach in college (Central Florida)."

Marshall doesn't figure to have his playing status diminished any time soon, given he leads the NFL with 43 receptions and is fourth with 521 yards. But the miscues will get him on coach Mike Shanahan's bad side, which might be worse.

By carrying the pigskin around, Marshall said, "You just train your brain to hold onto the ball - that's all it is."

Marshall led the league in yards after first contact last season and fumbled only once, regaining possession.

He has put the ball on the ground three times this year, with Kansas City also recovering in a Sept. 28 Broncos loss.

The fumble Sunday came without contact. He was transferring the ball from one hand to the other while trying to set up a stiff- arm that potentially could have gotten him into the end zone.

"All I have to do is hold onto the ball tighter," Marshall said, adding, "I've never had a fumbling problem."

"I fumbled," quarterback Jay Cutler said. "He fumbled. And you can't take that away from his game. That's what he does. He brings that aggression to our offense as far as attacking. And he can't change that.

"I don't think even he can change it on the field. That's just how he plays. He's just got to take care of the ball. He understands that."

There's only one problem. As Marshall was making his way to his news conference and about to turn the corner to exit the locker room, an equipment manager took a well-timed swipe at the ball.

"He knocked it out," Marshall said with a smile. "It's not good."

Given his new routine, he hopes better days, such as Monday's game at New England, are ahead.

Get it done

The Broncos defense played its best game of the season against Tampa Bay two weeks ago, swarming to the ball and keeping breakout plays to a minimum.

But Sunday against Jacksonville, the group reverted to the erratic unit that has periodically missed assignments and, against the Jaguars especially, botched tackles.

That pattern of unreliability - Denver ranks 30th in the NFL in total yards allowed - concerns defensive end Ebenezer Ekuban.

"Our biggest thing is that we just have to be consistent," he said. "We're playing this roller-coaster game where we have one good game, two bad games, so to say I'm not concerned would be a great understatement. I'm expecting us to go there and improve and, hopefully, when we do improve, staying consistent throughout the year.

"It's not a physical thing. I think for us it's more guys just being mentally ready, studying their playbooks and being in the right positions. Physically, we're holding up up front."

No ordinary week

Many Broncos players have downplayed the importance of Monday's game with the usual they're-all-big theme.

But faced with the prospect of either losing three of four going into the bye week or holding a 5-2 record atop the AFC West, center Casey Wiegmann wasn't one of them, especially with Denver getting blown out in Kansas City in its last road game.

"There's no question it's a big game for us, especially with a bye coming up," he said. "It could make or break a season."

Etc.

* The Broncos are 16-4 in games in which Cutler throws more than one touchdown pass. The team is only 3-10 in his other starts.

* The Broncos are the only current NFL team to have a multiple-game winning streak against the Patriots. Denver has won three straight in the series, including a 2005 playoff game.

* New England is a league-best 47-10 (.825) since Gillette Stadium opened in 2002. But in this Tom Brady-less season, the Patriots narrowly beat Kansas City 17-10 and were blown out at home by Miami 38-13.

Injury report

Broncos wideout Eddie Royal (left foot) made it through his second full practice Thursday and appears ready to resume his starting duties.

"It's where we want it to be right now," he said. "The rehab's coming along good. So I'm feeling real confident about it."

The news was less promising for receiver Brandon Stokley, who didn't get clearance to practice after visiting a team doctor for a battery of tests.

Tight end Tony Scheffler and running back Selvin Young, both coming off groin injuries, continue to be limited practice participants, though linebacker Boss Bailey (ankle) returned to workouts after an off day Wednesday.

The Patriots likely will be without starting right tackle Nick Kaczur, who was carted off last week against San Diego with an ankle injury. Mark LeVoir, whose appearance in the opener was his NFL debut, is his potential replacement.

Also missing a second straight day of workouts for New England were running backs Laurence Maroney (shoulder) and LaMont Jordan (calf). Kevin Faulk and Sammy Morris split carries last week in their absence.

LordTrychon
10-17-2008, 10:23 AM
Poor Stokes... I know he wants to play... :ugh:

omac
10-17-2008, 06:42 PM
Poor Stokes... I know he wants to play... :ugh:

Yeah, he's tough as nails. Hope he recovers soon, and I hope he doesn't get any long term effects from all those concussions.

omac
10-17-2008, 06:47 PM
I hope these fumbles don't make Brandon less aggressive. Maybe he just needs better habbits/technique when securing the ball after the catch. Since he runs like a RB, he should secure it like a RB.

jrelway
10-17-2008, 07:11 PM
dont change the way you play brandon, just hold on to the rock better.