PDA

View Full Version : Developing/evaluating the younger talent

broncofaninfla
10-17-2008, 09:58 AM
Given the over all lack of talent on defense, would it be in Denver’s best interest to start putting some of it’s younger players on the field now to both develop and evaluate what kind of players they are and can be? I know we are in first place and now isn’t the time to panic but lets be realistic, how much of a talent slip would it be to field guys like (LB) Woodyard, Larsen (at MLB), Barrett (S), (DT) Harris (DE) McBean and maybe even Moss at OLB?

HolyDiver
10-17-2008, 11:48 AM
Given the over all lack of talent on defense, would it be in Denver’s best interest to start putting some of it’s younger players on the field now to both develop and evaluate what kind of players they are and can be? I know we are in first place and now isn’t the time to panic but lets be realistic, how much of a talent slip would it be to field guys like (LB) Woodyard, Larsen (at MLB), Barrett (S), (DT) Harris (DE) McBean and maybe even Moss at OLB?

I think both Larsen and Woodyard will make a run to start next season............Barrett.....yeah, I wouldn't mind seeing him atleast suit up.

Traveler
10-17-2008, 11:56 AM
Shanahan is doing it on offense. Why not the defense too?

HolyDiver
10-17-2008, 11:58 AM
I would rather roll the dice on a consistent 3-4, than to just put in young players for the sake of playing young players.......

turftoad
10-17-2008, 12:01 PM
I would rather roll the dice on a consistent 3-4, than to just put in young players for the sake of playing young players.......

Me to, but evidently we don't have the right personell to run it consistantly.

HolyDiver
10-17-2008, 12:02 PM
Me to, but evidently we don't have the right personell to run it consistantly.

It sure looked like we did to me..............Any Defensive set that takes Engelberger off the field will be better.

CoachChaz
10-17-2008, 12:03 PM
A 3-4 requires 4 LB's. Currently, we only have ONE that is worthy of that title. When we get 2 or 3 more solid LB's, I'll be more than happy to see the 3-4 out there.

Denver27og
10-17-2008, 12:19 PM
it couldnt be worse

broncofaninfla
10-17-2008, 12:34 PM
I agree, putting these guys on the field wouldn't make us any worse. Lets see what they are made of and give them a chance.

CoachChaz
10-17-2008, 12:38 PM
Koutouvides, Webster, Winborn, Bailey, Green. After DJ, I'm licking my chops if this is the group I'm running against this week.

turftoad
10-17-2008, 12:47 PM
Koutouvides, Webster, Winborn, Bailey, Green. After DJ, I'm licking my chops if this is the group I'm running against this week.

Yeah, and 4 of those are supposed to play in the 3-4. Yeah, right. :tsk:

HolyDiver
10-17-2008, 01:40 PM

What's wrong with Webster, Winborn, Boss and DJ? .....................Don't tell me they are too small either, because I just looked at the Steelers linebackers and the four starters are.....243, 239, 242 and Woodley is big at 265...............Other than Woodley, they are the same size as the Broncos.

honz
10-17-2008, 01:46 PM
Just FYI for all you DJ lovers that hate the rest of our LBs...go rewatch the play where MJD broke off that long TD run. It was DJ that broke his gap assignment. Not Nate "Scapegoat" Webster or Boss "Champ's Brother" Bailey.

omac
10-17-2008, 06:37 PM

Not if you're Fred Taylor. :D

broncofaninfla
10-21-2008, 08:07 AM
Putting in our younger players won't make us any worse than we are now. How much of a talent slip would it be to field guys like (LB) Woodyard, Larsen (at MLB), Barrett (S), (DT) Harris (DE) McBean and maybe even Moss at OLB?

LRtagger
10-21-2008, 04:15 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but it looked like we were in the 3-4 90% of the game last night.

3 down lineman and 4 LBs on the LOS.

CrazyHorse
10-21-2008, 07:16 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but it looked like we were in the 3-4 90% of the game last night.

3 down lineman and 4 LBs on the LOS.

I noticed that too.
I had no idea why they were set like that because it makes no sense. I think it's easier to run against. The LB's can't see where the runner is coming from and it provides only 1 line of defense before an open field. They are called LINEBACKERS for a reason.

G_Money
10-21-2008, 07:49 PM
I noticed that too.
I had no idea why they were set like that because it makes no sense. I think it's easier to run against. The LB's can't see where the runner is coming from and it provides only 1 line of defense before an open field. They are called LINEBACKERS for a reason.

Especially if your safeties and some dude named Bly can't tackle worth a damn.

~G

broncogirl7
10-21-2008, 08:25 PM
If we have another game like Monday night...take out the starters and put in the young guys and give them a chance to prove themselves and get some experience. It can't be any worse than it was Monday night.