PDA

View Full Version : Carlton Powell

broncofaninfla
10-17-2008, 09:53 AM
Since Carlton Powell is on the PUP list and NOT on the injured reserved list, it’s my understanding he is eligible to come back this year. Has anybody heard any updates on him or can offer any clarification on this?:coffee:

drewloc
10-17-2008, 09:56 AM
yeah he has to sit out the first 6 games I believe. Then the team has through week 10 to be activated, if not, he is unavailable the rest of the season. So this should be his first week back if thats the case. (If he is indeed ready to play)

broncofaninfla
10-17-2008, 10:00 AM
Hopefully he'll be ready to play soon (fingers crossed)

honz
10-17-2008, 11:12 AM
He's not coming back this year. He ripped his achilles and he won't be ready to go until next season.

CoachChaz
10-17-2008, 11:13 AM
It's great how we draft people that cant stay healthy.

GEM
10-17-2008, 11:16 AM

And then give up on them way too early. *cough, cough* Domenik Hixon *cough, cough*

CoachChaz
10-17-2008, 11:17 AM
And then give up on them way too early. *cough, cough* Domenik Hixon *cough, cough*

Yep...next year Torain will run for 1000 yards and Powell will have 8 sacks...for different teams.

Fan in Exile
10-17-2008, 11:30 AM

Yeah I can't believe that people get hurt playing football, how does that happen.

CoachChaz
10-17-2008, 11:33 AM
Yeah I can't believe that people get hurt playing football, how does that happen.

Don't be a dick. Ryan Harris, Jarvis Moss, Domenik Hixon, Carlton Powell, Ryan Torain, etc., etc., etc.

I think we lead the league in rookie injuries every year.

Fan in Exile
10-17-2008, 11:40 AM
Don't be a dick. Ryan Harris, Jarvis Moss, Domenik Hixon, Carlton Powell, Ryan Torain, etc., etc., etc.

I think we lead the league in rookie injuries every year.

Don't be an ass every team has injuries if you have any kind of support for this besides the bitching of an unrealistic fan throw it out there otherwise shut up.

turftoad
10-17-2008, 11:45 AM
Fellas, fellas, knock off the personal stuff. Everyone has thier own opinions.

TIA

HolyDiver

Good thing we didn't draft Mendenhall then.............Right?

CoachChaz
Don't be an ass every team has injuries if you have any kind of support for this besides the bitching of an unrealistic fan throw it out there otherwise shut up.

Last I checked, I was on a Broncos forum. Therefore...call me crazy...I'm going to discuss the Broncos. Me, and others, noted that it's a little strange that half of the Denver rookies over the last few years just cant seem to be healthy to play a full rookie campaign...if at all.

That's an unrealistic observation? I guess ignorance truly is bliss...thanks for proving it.

HolyDiver
10-17-2008, 11:46 AM

LOL !!!!!!!!! Are we related?

Fan in Exile
10-17-2008, 11:52 AM
Last I checked, I was on a Broncos forum. Therefore...call me crazy...I'm going to discuss the Broncos. Me, and others, noted that it's a little strange that half of the Denver rookies over the last few years just cant seem to be healthy to play a full rookie campaign...if at all.

That's an unrealistic observation? I guess ignorance truly is bliss...thanks for proving it.

I was just pointing out that it's not a little strange at all because it's football.

The strange thing is that you guys think Hixon got injured when he didn't he got cut because he played badly after injuring someone else.

HolyDiver
10-17-2008, 11:55 AM
I was just pointing out that it's not a little strange at all because it's football.

The strange thing is that you guys think Hixon got injured when he didn't he got cut because he played badly after injuring someone else.

True...............And let's be honest, Hixon got more of a shot only recently, when Burress was out on suspension..............He's a decent kick returner, not great by any standards................He's an okay WR, would be a better choice for us now than both Jackson and Martinez, but nowhere close to Royal and Stokley.

CoachChaz
10-17-2008, 11:58 AM

It has nothing to do with his playing. My point was simple...our rookies get hurt on an unusually high rate. Torain could be a great back, or he could flop. Powell could be great or he could flop.

We wont know...because they cant get on the field.

HolyDiver
10-17-2008, 12:00 PM
It has nothing to do with his playing. My point was simple...our rookies get hurt on an unusually high rate. Torain could be a great back, or he could flop. Powell could be great or he could flop.

We wont know...because they cant get on the field.

Cutler...........not hurt, missed one game so far
Marshall..........not hurt, even if you toss him off a very tall building
Dumervil.....not hurt
Kuper...not hurt

Sheffler..............there, he's been hurt consistently every season.

so, 4 out of our 5 draft picks from 2006 have stayed pretty healthy.

turftoad
10-17-2008, 12:02 PM
Dumervil.....not hurt
Kuper...not hurt

Or..... you toss a McDonalds bag in front of him. :D

GEM
10-17-2008, 12:04 PM

The problem with that line of thinking is that Hixon wasn't the only one on ST playing badly at that time. The ST unit as a whole sucked it up. Have you seen any othere KR or PR doing well behind that unit? Then he goes to the Giants and lights it up. Perhaps, just maybe.....Hixon wasn't the issue. :shrugs: They drafted Hixon injured. Then failed to see it through.

It's a dimension of DRAFTING that is the issue. Perhaps whoever is doing our drafting isn't doing their homework. If you draft a project, prepare to allow the time to pan out. Don't give up on it prematurely.

Just like Jarvis Moss.....don't draft guys to fit a certain system, especially when you've had 3-4 different systems in the last 5 years.

HolyDiver
10-17-2008, 12:06 PM
The problem with that line of thinking is that Hixon wasn't the only one on ST playing badly at that time. The ST unit as a whole sucked it up. Have you seen any othere KR or PR doing well behind that unit? Then he goes to the Giants and lights it up. Perhaps, just maybe.....Hixon wasn't the issue. :shrugs: They drafted Hixon injured. Then failed to see it through.

It's a dimension of DRAFTING that is the issue. Perhaps whoever is doing our drafting isn't doing their homework. If you draft a project, prepare to allow the time to pan out. Don't give up on it prematurely.

Just like Jarvis Moss.....don't draft guys to fit a certain system, especially when you've had 3-4 different systems in the last 5 years.

Moss was a desperation pick. The fans, well coaches too, were screaming for a passrushing DE and Moss and Spencer were really the only two available. It was a poor year for DE's.

turftoad
10-17-2008, 12:10 PM
Moss was a desperation pick. The fans, well coaches too, were screaming for a passrushing DE and Moss and Spencer were really the only two available. It was a poor year for DE's.

We could have stayed were we where at and gotten Spencer.

At least he dresses and contributes a litttle bit.

CoachChaz
10-17-2008, 12:11 PM
Dumervil.....not hurt
Kuper...not hurt

Yeah, you're right HD. Why I even considered trying to make a point to you is beyond me. I keep forgetting that your assessment of talent and knowledge of specifics far exceeds anyone else here. On behalf of Jarvis Moss, Ryan Harris, Domenik Hixon, Ryan Torrain, Carlton Powell and any other rookie that had limited PT in his first season due to injury...please accept my apology, your highness

GEM
10-17-2008, 12:12 PM

That is a terrible way to look at the draft....take the best of what is on the board. If the DE's weren't worth it...there were probably safeties that could have helped out. I'd much rather move up and spend draft picks on worthy players than to please the fans just based on position. Reggie Nelson picked at the spot we should have drafted. Merriweather picked 3 after our original draft spot. Moss doesn't even have the build of a DE. Hell, he'll be lucky to line up as a LB if we go the 3-4 route.

Poor choices in the draft really come back to haunt ya.

honz
10-17-2008, 12:14 PM
The Broncos front office needs to hire a fortune teller so we can know which players are going to get injured, and draft accordingly.

Fan in Exile
10-17-2008, 12:16 PM
I just want to point out that you can't say our rookies get drafted at an unusual rate unless you know what that rate is. Does anyone know how often rookies get injured? Because I don't and if no one else does then we may as well go back to the name calling for all the difference it makes.

GEM
10-17-2008, 12:19 PM
I just want to point out that you can't say our rookies get drafted at an unusual rate unless you know what that rate is. Does anyone know how often rookies get injured? Because I don't and if no one else does then we may as well go back to the name calling for all the difference it makes.

Hixon was drafted while hurt. Torrain was drafted coming off an injury to the foot that there was no guarantee would ever heal properly. I think this is where the comments of drafting injury prone players come from.

CoachChaz
10-17-2008, 12:19 PM

I cant specify any kind of league average on the rate of how rookies get injured before seeing the field...all I can do is comment on the fact that we've made some choices in dire ares of need lately that have always seemed to be injured before they even had a chance to contribute in any way.

honz
10-17-2008, 12:22 PM
Hixon was drafted while hurt. Torrain was drafted coming off an injury to the foot that there was no guarantee would ever heal properly. I think this is where the comments of drafting injury prone players come from.
Injuries had nothing to do with Hixon's demise as a Bronco and Torain's foot is fine. Carlton Powell had no injury history. Royal has been injured...nobody is complaining about him. This is just a stupid argument IMO. Football players get injured, heal, perform, and generally get injured again. It's a crap shoot.

HolyDiver
10-17-2008, 12:22 PM
Yeah, you're right HD. Why I even considered trying to make a point to you is beyond me. I keep forgetting that your assessment of talent and knowledge of specifics far exceeds anyone else here.

Well, okay, I'll take that as a compliment then. ................How is your ED problem?

HolyDiver
10-17-2008, 12:23 PM
Yeah, you're right HD. Why I even considered trying to make a point to you is beyond me. I keep forgetting that your assessment of talent and knowledge of specifics far exceeds anyone else here. On behalf of Jarvis Moss, Ryan Harris, Domenik Hixon, Ryan Torrain, Carlton Powell and any other rookie that had limited PT in his first season due to injury...please accept my apology, your highness

Yeah, well, I suppose, Just try and use better judgement in the future.

HolyDiver
10-17-2008, 12:24 PM
We could have stayed were we where at and gotten Spencer.

At least he dresses and contributes a litttle bit.

I really wanted Spencer and he was there waiting for us too. It might go down as a Middlebrooks type of pick.

CoachChaz
10-17-2008, 12:26 PM
Well, okay, I'll take that as a compliment then. ................How is your ED problem?

Much better. Thanks again for intriducing me to your mom

CoachChaz
10-17-2008, 12:28 PM
I really wanted Spencer and he was there waiting for us too. It might go down as a Middlebrooks type of pick.

I can tell you for a fact that Cowboys fans arent very happy with Spencer...or Carpenter. Two players that we could probably use.

broncofaninfla
10-17-2008, 12:32 PM
He's not coming back this year. He ripped his achilles and he won't be ready to go until next season.

Why wasn't he placed on the IR list then? He is currently on the PUP list.

honz
10-17-2008, 01:52 PM
I don't really understand all the semantics that differentiates the PUP list from the IR, but I'm almost positive that Powell won't sniff the field this year. A ripped achilles takes about a year or so to recover from, from what I know. He should be ready to go next season though.

broncofaninfla
10-17-2008, 02:56 PM
I don't really understand all the semantics that differentiates the PUP list from the IR, but I'm almost positive that Powell won't sniff the field this year. A ripped achilles takes about a year or so to recover from, from what I know. He should be ready to go next season though.

Thanks. I've always found those guidelines confusing. I would also like to see the NFL revisit the IR rule. I don't think it's fair to make a player ineligible to play when they could conceivably come back and contribute during the same season. I've seen too many instances where a guy was projected to miss 6-7 weeks get put on IR ending their season but freeing up the roster spot. I guess it shows us how much Shannahan thinks of Torain. :beer:

broncofanatic1987
10-17-2008, 03:06 PM

The rules pretty much dictate that a player that receives a football related injury prior to training camp gets put on the PUP list. Even though it is known that he can not return this year, that's where they had to put him. They will move him to IR by week 10.

red98
10-17-2008, 04:05 PM
The rules pretty much dictate that a player that receives a football related injury prior to training camp gets put on the PUP list. Even though it is known that he can not return this year, that's where they had to put him. They will move him to IR by week 10.

No. They could have put him on IR at anytime. I suppose the reason they
PUP/reserved him is because there is a chance he may come back this year.

It makes no difference to the Broncos as far as salary/salary cap/roster space
to keep him on PUP, so why not?

WARHORSE
10-17-2008, 08:19 PM

Dominik has yet to crack the starting lineup.

LordTrychon
10-17-2008, 08:28 PM
Dominik has yet to crack the starting lineup.

He has indeed done pretty decent though...

But we waived him with the intent of putting him on the PS and the Giants nabbed him.

I don't mind because if he worked how we hoped, I doubt we'd have Royal. I'll take Royal.

omac
10-17-2008, 09:11 PM
He has indeed done pretty decent though...

But we waived him with the intent of putting him on the PS and the Giants nabbed him.

I don't mind because if he worked how we hoped, I doubt we'd have Royal. I'll take Royal.

Exactly, Royal in his first game as a Bronco became the player we were waiting and hoping for Hixon to be.

LordTrychon
10-17-2008, 09:15 PM
Exactly, Royal in his first game as a Bronco became the player we were waiting and hoping for Hixon to be.

Royal's better than I expected from Hixon, honestly. I just hoped for a good returner from Hixon... maybe EVENTUALLY a decent downfield threat.

Royal's nearly played himself off of special teams, meaning we could NOW use Hixon back to help our return game... maybe he could show our STs how they block in NY too. :salute: