PDA

View Full Version : More candid Cutler Comments -- this time regarding Rivers

tomjonesrocks
10-17-2008, 09:12 AM
Am sure this will get merged somewhere else at some point as I'm surprised I'm not seeing this up already--but some more quotes from Jay that I'm sure will have some legs.

Guess he was on "Best Damn" last night:
http://video.msn.com/video.aspx?mkt=en-us&brand=foxsports&vid=72536c42-2bab-4f05-a301-b5c2f1d65ceb&playlist=&editor=&from=FOXSPORTS&fg=/bestdamn&rf=http://msn.foxsports.com/bestdamn

“I’m just not that big of a fan of the guy” and “I don’t like how he carries himself. I don’t like some of the stuff he does on the field” are the keepers.

I don't have any problem with these comments--but definitely hope they win this week (against a team the Chargers just trounced) if he's going to put himself out there again.

omac
10-17-2008, 09:45 AM
Am sure this will get merged somewhere else at some point as I'm surprised I'm not seeing this up already--but some more quotes from Jay that I'm sure will have some legs.

http://video.msn.com/video.aspx?mkt=en-us&brand=foxsports&vid=72536c42-2bab-4f05-a301-b5c2f1d65ceb&playlist=&editor=&from=FOXSPORTS&fg=/bestdamn&rf=http://msn.foxsports.com/bestdamn

“I’m just not that big of a fan of the guy” and “I don’t like how he carries himself. I don’t like some of the stuff he does on the field” are the keepers.

I don't have any problem with these comments--but definitely hope they win this week (against a team the Chargers just trounced) if he's going to put himself out there again.

I don't think it's such a big deal at all. Reporters ask him about it and he gives an honest answer. He didn't talk crap about Rivers as a player, or the Chargers as a team. He just commented on how Rivers carries himself.

Before saying that particular line, he prefaced it by saying that both he and Rivers are young QBs playing for good teams.

They asked him whether he liked Phillip Rivers as a person, and he gave an honest answer instead of being a hypocrite about it.

This has nothing to do with how good or bad the Chargers or the Broncos are.

He wasn't putting himself out there at all. A QB puttin himself out there is Joe Namath guaranteeing a superbowl win, or John Kitna guaranteeing a 10 win season.

Rivers actions last season were unsportsmanlike, both at Denver and at Indy, and Cutler just honestly admitted that he didn't like that. Nothing wrong with that at all.

turftoad
10-17-2008, 10:01 AM
I watch'd it, Cutler did a great job.

claymore
10-17-2008, 10:02 AM

No kidding. I would rather him have a quiet confidence... But since he said it, I hope he puts his money where his mouth is on Monday.

dogfish
10-17-2008, 12:26 PM
it's no big news. . . . NOBODY likes rivers, except his girlfriend nick hardwick. . . .

sanluis
10-17-2008, 12:34 PM
Jay just told it like she sees it. He was getting baited a little by the fox dude but it was no big deal. He didn't "blast" anyone IMO. Just fox trying to drum up ratings again.

It's not like our rivalry needs any bulletin board material. I don't think either team could get any more fired up for each other. :D

I have to say Jay has played really well up to this point. He and the O in Denver are having a very good season to this point.

Now I don't agree with Jay. I like Rivers, his spirit, his fire and his leadership. But I am sure that is no surprise to any of you. :lol:

turftoad
10-17-2008, 12:39 PM
Jay just told it like she sees it. He was getting baited a little by the fox dude but it was no big deal. He didn't "blast" anyone IMO. Just fox trying to drum up ratings again.

It's not like our rivalry needs any bulletin board material. I don't think either team could get any more fired up for each other. :D

I have to say Jay has played really well up to this point. He and the O in Denver are having a very good season to this point.

Now I don't agree with Jay. I like Rivers, his spirit, his fire and his leadership. But I am sure that is no surprise to any of you. :lol:

So................ you'd still rather have Jay than Phillis. Gottcha :salute:

silkamilkamonico
10-17-2008, 12:50 PM
Cutler also said Philip Rivers is playing great football, and listed him as one of the top QB's in the NFL at the moment.

CoachChaz
10-17-2008, 12:54 PM
In an SI poll of NFL players, Rivers was voted the most overrated QB in the NFL. His peers have spoken

GEM
10-17-2008, 01:10 PM
Jim Rome is getting ready to talk about Cutler's comments on Rivers. Tune in.

atwater27
10-17-2008, 01:18 PM
Rivers is a bitch and needs his ass kicked.

GEM
10-17-2008, 01:45 PM
Rivers is a bitch and needs his ass kicked.

Ok Atwater, go do it. We want details when you get back. :D

honz
10-17-2008, 01:47 PM
Jim Rome is getting ready to talk about Cutler's comments on Rivers. Tune in.
I must have missed it. What did he say?

GEM
10-17-2008, 01:58 PM
I must have missed it. What did he say?

Said that he read where Cutler said his arm is as strong as Elway's. He's looking forward to the day where Cutler says he's better than Elway and means it. Said that what Cutler really meant is that he can't stand Rivers. Said that this is a great rivalry and he loves it.

Northman
10-17-2008, 02:07 PM
Well, for the record Phillip can at least hold onto the ball most of the time. Jay is starting to look like Dante Culpepper all of a sudden. I love Jay's confidence but really, now its just starting to get annoying. Just shut up and do it on the field.

broncos9697
10-17-2008, 02:20 PM
I really dont care what cutler says to the media....if he goes out and predicts a win every week who cares.He's the man..............I love it when he opens his mouth..

CoachChaz
10-17-2008, 02:28 PM
Well, for the record Phillip can at least hold onto the ball most of the time. Jay is starting to look like Dave Kreig all of a sudden. I love Jay's confidence but really, now its just starting to get annoying. Just shut up and do it on the field.

Edited for accuracy

NameUsedBefore
10-17-2008, 02:41 PM
It's football.

JKcatch724
10-17-2008, 03:19 PM
Denver needs some cockiness, especially from the quarterback. Great for the team IMO.

Continue.....

broncobryce
10-17-2008, 03:20 PM
Well, for the record Phillip can at least hold onto the ball most of the time. Jay is starting to look like Dante Culpepper all of a sudden. I love Jay's confidence but really, now its just starting to get annoying. Just shut up and do it on the field.

Well, go be a charger fan then. :rolleyes:

JKcatch724
10-17-2008, 07:16 PM
Jay is starting to look like Dante Culpepper all of a sudden..

That would require some reverse Michael Jackson type stuff....

Northman
10-17-2008, 07:22 PM
Well, go be a charger fan then. :rolleyes:

Sorry princess, did i strike a nerve?

NorthernLights
10-17-2008, 08:24 PM

I don't think you struck a nerve, I just think you broke rule #1 for all Bronco fans.

Just as a refresher, rule #1 says, "never praise Philip Rivers." Rule #2 says, see Rule #1. :D

Northman
10-17-2008, 08:33 PM
I don't think you struck a nerve, I just think you broke rule #1 for all Bronco fans.

Just as a refresher, rule #1 says, "never praise Philip Rivers." Rule #2 says, see Rule #1. :D

It is amazing how some Bronco fans (most on another Bronco board) think that its great for Jay to flap his gums all the time but when Phil does it its sacriligious or something. I admit i hate Rivers attitude on the field but he is a baller. No denying that. But i wont sit here and say that its ok for Jay to do the same thing and give him a pass for it. Both guys just need to shut up and let their play do the talking which has been fun so far to see this year. The yapping is totally pointless at this point.

NorthernLights
10-17-2008, 08:37 PM
It is amazing how some Bronco fans (most on another Bronco board) think that its great for Jay to flap his gums all the time but when Phil does it its sacriligious or something. I admit i hate Rivers attitude on the field but he is a baller. No denying that. But i wont sit here and say that its ok for Jay to do the same thing and give him a pass for it. Both guys just need to shut up and let their play do the talking which has been fun so far to see this year. The yapping is totally pointless at this point.

I could also live without the garbage, but it sure has been fun to talk about. :beer:

NameUsedBefore
10-17-2008, 08:40 PM
Cutler was asked a question. He told them what he thought. Nothing really wrong with it. His talk about his arm strength was a little irking because it erred on the side of cockiness, but this is certainly nothing.

broncobryce
10-17-2008, 08:41 PM

No, you just sounded a lot like a sparkler fan. With all the crying and what not. :coffee: But you're right Rivers is a BAWLER

Northman
10-17-2008, 08:46 PM
No, you just sounded a lot like a sparkler fan. With all the crying and what not. :coffee: But you're right Rivers is a BAWLER

So i make one post about how Jay should just shut and play and thats crying. How rich. Welcome to the bandwagon. :lol::lol:

broncobryce
10-17-2008, 08:50 PM
So i make one post about how Jay should just shut and play and thats crying. How rich. Welcome to the bandwagon. :lol::lol:

What bandwagon? I've been a fan since 89, when I was old enough to understand football. Listen, I just didn't like a "bronco fan" praising Rivers and bashing Cutler. Like northern lights said, that is sacreligious. But you have a right to your opinion. As far as bandwagon, you're the one who sounds like he's jumping off.

JKcatch724
10-17-2008, 08:54 PM

bronco fans do obviously have a bias for Cutler's side, but I think PR's personality and the way he goes about his trash talking, with the whole "I still act like i'm playing eighth grade flag football" shit gets under everybody but Charger fans skin.

He's like the obnoxiously hyperactive kid in school that everybody wanted to slap.

Anyway, as long as both of them are playing at this level the talking will continue. Spices up the rivalry.

NorthernLights
10-17-2008, 08:57 PM
bronco fans do obviously have a bias for Cutler's side, but I think PR's personality and the way he goes about his trash talking, with the whole "I still act like i'm playing eighth grade flag football" shit gets under everybody but Charger fans skin.

He's like the obnoxiously hyperactive kid in school that everybody wanted to slap.

Anyway, as long as both of them are playing at this level the talking will continue. Spices up the rivalry.

I just like the idea of the Bronco fans thinking of the Bolts as a rival instead of a speed bump.

Northman
10-17-2008, 08:57 PM
What bandwagon? I've been a fan since 89, when I was old enough to understand football. Listen, I just didn't like a "bronco fan" praising Rivers and bashing Cutler. Like northern lights said, that is sacreligious. But you have a right to your opinion. As far as bandwagon, you're the one who sounds like he's jumping off.

Actually, i made the sacreligious comment but thanks for playing. As for me being honest about my team and its players, ive been that way since 82 and that never going to change. When you learn to accept other people's opinions on this team you will be a better person for it. Jay like any other Denver Bronco past/present is far from scrutiny from anyone including their own fans. Doesnt mean i dont like Jay the player or even the person. But im not going to rip one player on another team for having a bad attitude and not call out my own favorite players for doing the same thing. And that hardly makes me a bad fan or "jumping" ship as you would like to allude too.

Northman
10-17-2008, 08:59 PM

Actually, ive seen plenty of Charger fans who really dont care for his trash talking. But as you said, it probably wont stop anytime soon.

omac
10-17-2008, 09:05 PM
I just like the idea of the Bronco fans thinking of the Bolts as a rival instead of a speed bump.

The past few years ... I hardly call the Chargers a speed bump; last season, more like a Mount Everest. :D

JKcatch724
10-17-2008, 09:06 PM

Not quite up to the Raider/Chief standard, but its definitely on its way up. Its not as fun when the raiders and chiefs suck so bad. Rivalries are always better when either team could legitimately win.

broncobryce
10-17-2008, 09:06 PM
Actually, i made the sacreligious comment but thanks for playing. As for me being honest about my team and its players, ive been that way since 82 and that never going to change. When you learn to accept other people's opinions on this team you will be a better person for it. Jay like any other Denver Bronco past/present is far from scrutiny from anyone including their own fans. Doesnt mean i dont like Jay the player or even the person. But im not going to rip one player on another team for having a bad attitude and not call out my own favorite players for doing the same thing. And that hardly makes me a bad fan or "jumping" ship as you would like to allude too.

Sorry, I am at work and didn't have time to go back and check. The thing is, I don't think what Cutler did is even close to what Rivers did. People are asking direct questions and he is answering them honestly. Rivers stood on the sideline and talked crap to the other team's QB (cutler), knowing he wasn't going back in the game. THAT is my problem with him. Saying he doesn't like the way Rivers' acts doesn't compare to being a complete a**hole on the field. I was just shocked that you would see it as equal.

Northman
10-17-2008, 09:15 PM
Sorry, I am at work and didn't have time to go back and check. The thing is, I don't think what Cutler did is even close to what Rivers did. People are asking direct questions and he is answering them honestly. Rivers stood on the sideline and talked crap to the other team's QB (cutler), knowing he wasn't going back in the game. THAT is my problem with him. Saying he doesn't like the way Rivers' acts doesn't compare to being a complete a**hole on the field. I was just shocked that you would see it as equal.

Im not really saying what he did is worse or even on par with it. But, is there really a need for it? I dont think so. We already know that Jay can play with those guys. We already know that there is some bad blood brewing with what has gone on the last few games with the Dolts. You cant write a better script for that but why give the other team more ammunition then it already has? It isnt what Jay said that bothers me, its that he keeps talking to media about things that really serve no real purpose. I understand that media is going to continue to hound him about the rivalry with the Chargers but he needs to really think before he yaps. Overall, this team hasnt accomplished anything since the 05' playoff game against the Pats. The team and its leader should be focusing more on winning games rather than camera/microphone time. Jay's a good guy but for him to be quoted on senseless things every other day is just pointless to me. IMO

Broncolingus
10-17-2008, 11:38 PM

...even if he was talking $hit, who cares?

It's about this guy:

http://sportswrap.berecruited.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/09/philip%20rivers%20ap%20jack%20smith.jpg

G_Money
10-18-2008, 12:36 AM
Not quite up to the Raider/Chief standard, but its definitely on its way up. Its not as fun when the raiders and chiefs suck so bad. Rivalries are always better when either team could legitimately win.

The Chiefs did just beat us... :rolleyes:

A rivalry is always a rivalry, no matter how bad one of the teams suck. It's always dangerous, although not nearly as bloody and hate-filled as it used to be when players used to spend their whole careers with one team.

It is nice that at least one of the teams in the division is holding up their end as far as challenging for the division title though.

Until Norv finishes running the Chargers into the ground, it's good to have a rival in both the standings and on the field. That final game against the Chargers is shaping up to potentially be epic.

Sounds like fun to me.:salute:

As for Rome, GEM... I just want him to have Phillip on the show in a couple of years, call him Phyllis a whole lot and have Rivers jump over the table at him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HNgqQVHI_8

That'd be justice in so many karmic ways...

~G

topscribe
10-18-2008, 01:27 AM

There are a whole bunch of us who are not overly concerned about what you
don't like. But I don't like it when a poster just latches onto a singly entry by
another poster and makes a thread of it. You made your point. Let's see the
end of it.

-----

broncobryce
10-18-2008, 01:30 AM
Umm, you did, it was over hours ago.

JKcatch724
10-18-2008, 04:00 AM
The Chiefs did just beat us... :rolleyes:

A rivalry is always a rivalry, no matter how bad one of the teams suck. It's always dangerous, although not nearly as bloody and hate-filled as it used to be when players used to spend their whole careers with one team.

It is nice that at least one of the teams in the division is holding up their end as far as challenging for the division title though.

Until Norv finishes running the Chargers into the ground, it's good to have a rival in both the standings and on the field. That final game against the Chargers is shaping up to potentially be epic.

Sounds like fun to me.:salute:

As for Rome, GEM... I just want him to have Phillip on the show in a couple of years, call him Phyllis a whole lot and have Rivers jump over the table at him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HNgqQVHI_8

That'd be justice in so many karmic ways...

~G

All the rivalrys in the AFC west are legit. All I mean is that its not as fun hating the raiders and chiefs when they're horrible. It's funny of course.... but its getting to the point where its pathetic.

BANJOPICKER1
10-18-2008, 07:31 PM
it's no big news. . . . NOBODY likes rivers, except his girlfriend nick hardwick. . . .

Dont know her, is she hot?:D

TXBRONC
10-19-2008, 06:52 PM

I agree Luis Jay didn't rip Rivers. However, what you see as spirit, fire and leadership in the guy a lot of people not just Denver fans see as being a total horse's ass.

omac
10-19-2008, 11:57 PM
I agree Luis Jay didn't rip Rivers. However, what you see as spirit, fire and leadership in the guy a lot of people not just Denver fans see as being a total horse's ass.

And sometimes, that's what a team needs their leader to be. :D But seriously, some of the greatest leaders were real asses. The Chargers sometimes have a mopy attitude, and Rivers probably gives them the whip in the butt they need to wake up.

TXBRONC
10-20-2008, 08:12 AM
And sometimes, that's what a team needs their leader to be. :D But seriously, some of the greatest leaders were real asses. The Chargers sometimes have a mopy attitude, and Rivers probably gives them the whip in the butt they need to wake up.

I don't think that talking smack to an opposing quarterback when you're team is winning big constitutes leadership especially when you are also a quarterback.