PDA

View Full Version : John Elway Supports Tim Tebow

Ravage!!!
04-28-2011, 11:08 AM
John Elway Supports Tim Tebow

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=6442597

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- Denver Broncos executive vice president of football operations John Elway has been strangely vague regarding his opinion of Tim Tebow's potential as the team's starting quarterback. Until now....

SOCALORADO.
04-28-2011, 11:11 AM
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_V4B6Gb9FovU/TG8zyGrLL7I/AAAAAAAABJk/Wodco8Dz3PA/s1600/600full-anchorman_-the-legend-of-ron-burgundy-photo%5B1%5D.jpg

BroncoWave
04-28-2011, 11:16 AM
Good, now people can end all the "Elway hates Tebow" crap.

vandammage13
04-28-2011, 11:17 AM
"I think where we are as an organization, we're going to go with Tim."

Thought that was an interesting line...FO support seems to be shifting back toward Tebow. Maybe they are impressed by the offseason progress he is making on his own.

silkamilkamonico
04-28-2011, 11:33 AM
First positive step this organization has taken in a long long time, IMO.

arapaho2
04-28-2011, 11:34 AM
sounds good to me:elefant:

now if this was still Mcdoosh...this is where tebow starts to get traded:laugh:

TXBRONC
04-28-2011, 11:45 AM
This has got me wondering if maybe Paige might be right about Denver trading back with the Titans (I think) and as part of the deal we will trade Orton to them once this b.s. of a labor dispute is over. :ponder:

LTC Pain
04-28-2011, 12:26 PM
This has got me wondering if maybe Paige might be right about Denver trading back with the Titans (I think) and as part of the deal we will trade Orton to them once this b.s. of a labor dispute is over. :ponder:

Intersting idea. Orton and the #2 pick to the Titans for the #8 pick (Fairley!) and there 2nd and 3rd round picks. Pretty steep if your the Titans GM!

BroncoBJ
04-28-2011, 12:33 PM
Its a smokescreen.

Welcome to Denver Blaine Gabbart. :salute:

LTC Pain
04-28-2011, 12:41 PM
Its a smokescreen.

I think it's an announcement that Orton is available. This trumps/cancels the Broncos previous statement that "Orton is the starter" for 2011. Elway didn't say that exactly but how could you not sense the transition from Orton to TT in that interview?

Ravage!!!
04-28-2011, 12:47 PM
We are going to take Miller and then draft a QB late in the draft. I did find it interesting with this quote:

"I've told him: the bottom line is, 'You can do all those things and make all those plays that a lot of guys can't do, and that's something you have that they don't -- but you have to realize for us to be champions, you have to be able to win it from the pocket and make all those throws from the pocket."

HAS to be able to throw from the pocket. This is the biggest concern for everyone. Exciting to see how it develops.

TXBRONC
04-28-2011, 12:49 PM
Its a smokescreen.

You must want this board to implode. :lol:

BroncoStud
04-28-2011, 12:57 PM
I think it's an announcement that Orton is available. This trumps/cancels the Broncos previous statement that "Orton is the starter" for 2011. Elway didn't say that exactly but how could you not sense the transition from Orton to TT in that interview?

Yep, the timing is precise. We might just see a trade down involving Orton. No reason not to start Tebow this year, he proved he was at least as good as Orton in his limited time and the team, overall, showed a lot more swagger with him in at QB. Get value for Orton this year as opposed to letting him walk for nothing next year, even if it's a late rounder, get SOMETHING and clear up some cap space at the same time. Turn the job over to Tebow and let Quinn back him up.

Ravage!!!
04-28-2011, 12:59 PM
It actually gives a reason as to why Denver wouldn't trade Orton right now.

With that, while acknowledging there will be competition for the starting job, Elway seemed to hint that Tebow is Denver's likely starter this year -- unless the lockout eliminates virtually all of the preseason in which case veteran Kyle Orton's experience might provide him an advantage.

horsepig
04-28-2011, 01:34 PM
Yep, the timing is precise. We might just see a trade down involving Orton. No reason not to start Tebow this year, he proved he was at least as good as Orton in his limited time and the team, overall, showed a lot more swagger with him in at QB. Get value for Orton this year as opposed to letting him walk for nothing next year, even if it's a late rounder, get SOMETHING and clear up some cap space at the same time. Turn the job over to Tebow and let Quinn back him up.

Nice thought, but I sure wouldn't want to enter the season with only Quinn as the backup. He appears to be about as worthless as Simms was. Man, I wish we still had my man Hillis, oh well, so it is.

slim
04-28-2011, 01:35 PM
He has gone out of his way to stay away from this subject all offseason....now on draft day he goes out of his way to praise Tebow?

Something fishy going on.

BroncoStud
04-28-2011, 02:05 PM
Nice thought, but I sure wouldn't want to enter the season with only Quinn as the backup. He appears to be about as worthless as Simms was. Man, I wish we still had my man Hillis, oh well, so it is.

Hillis is on the Madden cover, it seems that football fans all over see how dumb McDaniels was to trade him, essentially GIVE HIM to Cleveland. Joke's on us.

vandammage13
04-28-2011, 02:05 PM
He has gone out of his way to stay away from this subject all offseason....now on draft day he goes out of his way to praise Tebow?

Something fishy going on.

To me it says they have something in the works for dealing Orton with the ability to deal players possibly drawing near, thus the newfound endorsement of Tebow.

slim
04-28-2011, 02:08 PM
To me it says they have something in the works for dealing Orton with the ability to deal players possibly drawing near, thus the newfound endorsement of Tebow.

Maybe, but no trades until tomorrow (at the earliest).

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/39804/no-player-trades-before-friday-at-earliest

Slick
04-28-2011, 02:12 PM
I trust slim's instincts. Weird timing on Elway's part but I'm glad to hear it.

If they trot Orton out there in week one I'm going to cuss violently.

T.K.O.
04-28-2011, 02:15 PM
I trust slim's instincts. Weird timing on Elway's part but I'm glad to hear it.

If they trot Orton out there in week one I'm going to cuss violently.

hey slick....how far are you from Xcaret ?

LTC Pain
04-28-2011, 02:17 PM
Hillis is on the Madden cover, it seems that football fans all over see how dumb McDaniels was to trade him, essentially GIVE HIM to Cleveland. Joke's on us.

No, the joke is on McD.

I Eat Staples
04-28-2011, 02:20 PM
And I was just starting to get my hopes up that Elway realized what everyone other than McDaniels did before the draft...

Ravage!!!
04-28-2011, 02:21 PM
No, the joke is on McD.

Correction. McD IS a joke.

T.K.O.
04-28-2011, 02:22 PM
No, the joke is on McD.

actually he got a sweet gig with the rams weak div. less stressfull job and what appears to be the top young qb in the league to make him look good.
i'd say he left himself in better shape than the broncos:mad::laugh:

Ravage!!!
04-28-2011, 02:27 PM
And I was just starting to get my hopes up that Elway realized what everyone other than McDaniels did before the draft...

He did point out during the interview that the QBs like Newton and Gabbert have holes in their game much like Tebow does...saying that there aren't QBs like Luck, Bradford, or Stafford in this years draft, who he considers to be good QBs.

He also said "Let's put it this way, I'm his biggest fan," Elway said. "He's one of those guys who -- if he comes out and is the player we hope he can be -- ..." Instead of saying " if he comes out and is the player we KNOW he can be." Small change in wording that seemed to hit with Werder as he was giving the interview with John (as he said on ESPN today).

I Eat Staples
04-28-2011, 02:29 PM
He did point out during the interview that the QBs like Newton and Gabbert have holes in their game much like Tebow does...saying that there aren't QBs like Luck, Bradford, or Stafford in this years draft, who he considers to be good QBs.

He also said "Let's put it this way, I'm his biggest fan," Elway said. "He's one of those guys who -- if he comes out and is the player we hope he can be -- ..." Instead of saying " if he comes out and is the player we KNOW he can be." Small change in wording that seemed to hit with Werder as he was giving the interview with John (as he said on ESPN today).

I agree about this year's QB class. I'll laugh at any team that takes a QB in the top 10. I think Mallet is the best prospect, and Gabbert second. Both of them have issues that could prevent them from excelling.

Cam Newton should be a mid-round pick. Think Vince Young or Tim Tebow, but closer to Young.

Slick
04-28-2011, 02:34 PM
hey slick....how far are you from Xcaret ?

15 minutes south of Xcaret.

T.K.O.
04-28-2011, 02:50 PM
15 minutes south of Xcaret.

i was just looking at some vacation deals in the area and was wondering,unfortunalely i was looking them up for my friend and his wife....not me and mine this time.
we were talking about snorkel & possibly scuba for them. it's an anniversary/birthday thing and they want to do something new and exciting.
i said you could always try sex !:laugh:
anyway if i get something lined up for them i will be sure to mention you and see if i can throw any business your way.
does it rain everyday there in july ?
i have only been south in jan/feb and its usually beautiful

TXBRONC
04-28-2011, 02:58 PM

I know you don't Orton but Quinn is another BVP.

rcsodak
04-28-2011, 04:04 PM
Hmmmmm.....trying to build up some trade value??

Agent of Orange
04-28-2011, 06:15 PM

You put the emphasis on the wrong word. Instead of being such a sucker for flashy words like "hope", you should be looking at words like "be".

Ravage!!!
04-28-2011, 06:18 PM
You put the emphasis on the wrong word. Instead of being such a sucker for flashy words like "hope", you should be looking at words like "be".

Actually.. BE is on both version. "Know he can BE" and "HOPE he can be"....

BroncoBJ
04-28-2011, 09:10 PM
You must want this board to implode. :lol:

:lol: ... A little bit ... Everyone saying when we look at QB's its a smokescreen, so I guess when we talk good about one, its also a smoke screen ;)

:elefant:

DenBronx
04-28-2011, 11:09 PM
What have we learned from the offseason so far and Elways comments?

Everything was a smokescreen.

TXBRONC
04-28-2011, 11:50 PM
What have we learned from the offseason so far and Elways comments?

Everything was a smokescreen.

I don't if every thing was a smokescreen. I think they were really interested in moving down in the draft order in order to procure more picks.

lgenf
04-29-2011, 07:39 AM
Orton will be gone by next week - trades are open for business and there are several teams - Fins, 49ers, Cards etc all need QBs and Broncos and Eagles have two of the best available to trade.

Maybe the fins will step up and get Orton to throw Marshall again, since the fins didn't take a QB and went with OL instead, they must be planning on keeping Henne still.

Either way, I am very happy to get the endorsement from Elway on TT and am really starting to look forward to this year, the way I looked forward to the end of the schedule last season when TT gets a chance.

We still have needs and holes to fill on this team, but if we can land a good starting DT and maybe a starting TE out of the draft that would be a big plus in my mind

Still not sold on an undersized pass rusher from OLB, but what the hell I can't say he's a bust or it was bad, the guy hasn't played a down for us yet.

Getting very excited about their trip to Miami to see the team in person.

TXBRONC
04-29-2011, 09:03 AM
Orton will be gone by next week - trades are open for business and there are several teams - Fins, 49ers, Cards etc all need QBs and Broncos and Eagles have two of the best available to trade.

Maybe the fins will step up and get Orton to throw Marshall again, since the fins didn't take a QB and went with OL instead, they must be planning on keeping Henne still.

Either way, I am very happy to get the endorsement from Elway on TT and am really starting to look forward to this year, the way I looked forward to the end of the schedule last season when TT gets a chance.

We still have needs and holes to fill on this team, but if we can land a good starting DT and maybe a starting TE out of the draft that would be a big plus in my mind

Still not sold on an undersized pass rusher from OLB, but what the hell I can't say he's a bust or it was bad, the guy hasn't played a down for us yet.

Getting very excited about their trip to Miami to see the team in person.

It wouldn't surprise me if Orton gets traded I don't think it's a given.

Spiritguy
04-29-2011, 11:50 AM
Originally Posted by John Elway
"I've told him: the bottom line is, 'You can do all those things and make all those plays that a lot of guys can't do, and that's something you have that they don't -- but you have to realize for us to be champions, you have to be able to win it from the pocket and make all those throws from the pocket."

Tebows response this offseason

"Well, I believe this offseason has been great," Tebow said. "Just working extremely hard, on the grind pretty much all offseason. I haven't taken a break. I've been working a lot on my drops from under center, I haven't done any shotgun stuff all offseason. Everything's just been under center -- straight drops, play-action fakes, straight drops, fives, sevens -- just working on all the throws.

"Accuracy and precision with my passes has been the No. 1 thing that I've worked on all offseason, and I believe that I've improved that a lot."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d...e=HP_headlines

Timmy's working hard at the things he was told he needed to improve. Can't ask for more during the off season

Bullgator
04-29-2011, 11:26 PM
Well... this isnt really news... not to me anyways...all the hate was smoke until they could get a deal for KO.

Damn im sick of being right. So yea.. KO gone in a couple days Teebs starts 2011 season and the rest is history. Get ready Bronco fans!!! Bronco ball is going to be uber exciting again. Grats!

For the hater sheep, TT is going drag some of you kicking and screaming to victory despite your gheyness.

Watchthemiddle
04-29-2011, 11:44 PM
And now we have a monster at right tackle to protect him.