PDA

View Full Version : Forget Patrick Peterson, Draft Janoris Jenkins in the Supplemental Draft

vandammage13
04-28-2011, 10:33 AM
CB Janoris Jenkins would have been a top 15 pick had he came out this year (and wasn't a pothead). This guy would be an ultimate value pick, as long as you are ok with his personal history.

For those of you not familiar with Janoris Jenkins he is a CB who just got kicked out of U of Florida for his second pot-related arrest. He was 1st team All-SEC last year, and he held Georgia's AJ Green, Alabama's Julio Jones, and South Carolina's Alshon Jeffery to a combined 114 yards and 1 TD in 3 games last season. Those 3 guys were the cream of the crop WRs last year and 2 of them will be drafted in the first round this year and Jenkins locked them down. I think it is well worth the risk for a supplemental pick.

I don't know what Denver's pick status would be in the supplemental draft this summer, so if anyone knows please chime in. If the Broncos feel they have a good chance to land Jenkins in the supplemental draft then they should forget about drafting Peterson and focus on the DL.

Super excited about what we're gonna do tonight.

Traveler
04-28-2011, 10:50 AM
Let me get this straight. Pass on the most talented CB to come out in some time for a known pothead who will immediately be entered into the NFL drug testing program?

vandammage13
04-28-2011, 10:58 AM
Let me get this straight. Pass on the most talented CB to come out in some time for a known pothead who will immediately be entered into the NFL drug testing program?

Yes...It makes sense because CB isn't our only glaring need on Defense. If CB were our only need, then yeah, draft Peterson. We need DL help more than secondary help IMO, as Champ will sill be playing at a high level for a couple more years. Since we can get Jenkins with no major investment, its not really going to hurt us too much if his off the field issues persist.

silkamilkamonico
04-28-2011, 11:37 AM
Yes...It makes sense because CB isn't our only glaring need on Defense. If CB were our only need, then yeah, draft Peterson. We need DL help more than secondary help IMO, as Champ will sill be playing at a high level for a couple more years. Since we can get Jenkins with no major investment, its not really going to hurt us too much if his off the field issues persist.

Drafting Jenkins will still make CB a glaring need after all the drug suspensions he's undoubtedly going to be going through at the NFL level. He could quite possibly never play a game.

vandammage13
04-28-2011, 11:45 AM
Drafting Jenkins will still make CB a glaring need after all the drug suspensions he's undoubtedly going to be going through at the NFL level. He could quite possibly never play a game.

So I guess you are saying we need to draft a CB then? Drafting a DL would still leave us with that hole at CB. At least going the route I proposed ensures us some DL help and a chance at a good CB. Your solution leaves us only one position filled. We can't pick every position we need help in with one pick.

Nick
04-28-2011, 11:50 AM
We can't pick every position we need help in with one pick.

That is why I think we should get BPA which is Peterson... Regardless we will have holes.

silkamilkamonico
04-28-2011, 11:55 AM
So I guess you are saying we need to draft a CB then? Drafting a DL would still leave us with that hole at CB. At least going the route I proposed ensures us some DL help and a chance at a good CB. Your solution leaves us only one position filled. We can't pick every position we need help in with one pick.

All I'm saying is don't draft Janoris "420" Jenkins, who will most likely miss more NFL games due to drug suspensions than he will play.

vandammage13
04-28-2011, 11:56 AM
That is why I think we should get BPA which is Peterson... Regardless we will have holes.

I am not totally opposed to drafting Peterson, but I feel if we can draft at another position that is of equal (if not greater) need, and still have the chance to land a top CB prospect in the supplemental draft (at no investment), then we should take that chance. Its not like its a huge gamble, as you are still going to get a stud at a position of extreme need regardless of how Jenkins turns out.

Northman
04-28-2011, 12:00 PM
I say neither. Peterson isnt the #1 priority for the Broncos and taking a guy who may have off the field problems down the road isnt the answer either. There are plenty of other CB's in the draft that Denver can look at that makes more sense than taking any of those two.

vandammage13
04-28-2011, 12:00 PM

He is only the "BPA" because that is the label that has been put on him. I'm sure he'll be great, but we really don't know who the "BPA" is until they actually play for a couple of years. For all we know, one of the DL prospects will turn out to be the best. Don't put too much stock in these pre-draft grades.

Nick
04-28-2011, 12:05 PM
He is only the "BPA" because that is the label that has been put on him. I'm sure he'll be great, but we really don't know who the "BPA" is until they actually play for a couple of years. For all we know, one of the DL prospects will turn out to be the best. Don't put too much stock in these pre-draft grades.

He is going to be very good, he is the most for sure thing. It is big possibility DL will but they also have a lot more question marks and risk.

Have not looked at a single draft grade FYI. I watch a lot of college football and stay on top of prospects a bit.

If Fairley did what he did this last year prior... I would have him under Peterson But would not mind at all with Fairley if they want to go with Need but there is a lot more "risks". I would be upset with Dareus....

vandammage13
04-28-2011, 12:18 PM
Nick, I saw in another thread that you had AJ Green and Julio Jones rated as your #3 and 4 guys respectively...Jenkins shut both of those guys down and you don't think he's worth taking a chance on with a worthless supplemental draft choice?

LTC Pain
04-28-2011, 12:21 PM
Mods is their any way to add an opposite of the "high five" button to this forum? Threads like this deserve a button like that. Maybe call it the "epic fail" button???

vandammage13
04-28-2011, 12:22 PM
Mods is their any way to add an opposite of the "high five" button to this forum? Threads like this deserve a button like that. Maybe call it the "epic fail" button???

explain how this is an epic fail.

oubronco
04-28-2011, 12:29 PM
Brilliant?

BroncoWave
04-28-2011, 12:31 PM
Nick, I saw in another thread that you had AJ Green and Julio Jones rated as your #3 and 4 guys respectively...Jenkins shut both of those guys down and you don't think he's worth taking a chance on with a worthless supplemental draft choice?

Supplemental draft picks aren't worthless. Whatever round of the supplemental draft you pick someone in, you lose that pick in next year's regular draft.

Nick
04-28-2011, 12:34 PM

Absolutely... I don't mind prev character issues with minimal expense.

* Started to really think about this, because I would not mind using a second but a first, Which someone else would if we didn't... Tough choice because he is a solid candidate.

vandammage13
04-28-2011, 12:52 PM
Supplemental draft picks aren't worthless. Whatever round of the supplemental draft you pick someone in, you lose that pick in next year's regular draft.

You are right its not worthless...bad choice of words there, but it doesn't cost us much in terms of this year, and we need all the help we can get now. I think FO's know they don't get a whole lot of time to make things work nowadays before they get axed, so it may be worth taking him now rather than waiting until next year trying to get a CB.

I don't condone marijuana use, but remember that players like Randy Moss, Warren Sapp, and Percy Harvin all had prior marijuana use before the draft and they turned out alright. Heck, even Bill Clinton used marijuana (although he didn't inhale). Its not like the guy is stealing things or is involved in domestic disputes. He's a college kid and like it or not, tons of college kids smoke weed. The guy is young and he just needs to grow up. I don't think he's a bad kid.

MileHighCrew
04-28-2011, 01:48 PM
Again it would depend on cost, can we grab him with a 7th, sure cool beans. Would you risk a 2nd round pick, probably not

rcsodak
04-28-2011, 02:11 PM
Where is the hole at CB? And denvers supp pick is the same as their current picks....it would be next year's.

vandammage13
04-28-2011, 02:33 PM
Where is the hole at CB? And denvers supp pick is the same as their current picks....it would be next year's.

If they can get him in the second round of this year's supplemental draft, he would be worth the risk for next year's #2. Snagging 1st round talent w/baggage in the 2nd round happens often in each draft, and these players often pay big dividends. (See Mike Williams of TB last year.) Randy Moss, Percy Harvin, and Dez Bryant all fell in the draft due to character issues, but they have turned out fine. McD tried to build a team with "high character guys" and that didn't work out too well. Having good character is great, but it is often overrated. These guys are playing football, not running a fortune 500 company.

Nick
04-28-2011, 03:14 PM
I would give up a second for him as quick as I could. Someone will give him a 1st rounder I am thinking.

rcsodak
04-28-2011, 05:08 PM
If they can get him in the second round of this year's supplemental draft, he would be worth the risk for next year's #2. Snagging 1st round talent w/baggage in the 2nd round happens often in each draft, and these players often pay big dividends. (See Mike Williams of TB last year.) Randy Moss, Percy Harvin, and Dez Bryant all fell in the draft due to character issues, but they have turned out fine. McD tried to build a team with "high character guys" and that didn't work out too well. Having good character is great, but it is often overrated. These guys are playing football, not running a fortune 500 company.

You didn't answer my question, 13. What hole? And personally, a #2 is too high for somebody that may spend more time OFF the field than on. Plus, a cb has lower value than a wr.
Not to mention, IF the league doesn't allow for undrafted free agents on sunday, he could be gotten for free later this summer, along with the undrafted.

rcsodak
04-28-2011, 05:13 PM
I would give up a second for him as quick as I could. Someone will give him a 1st rounder I am thinking.
Look back at previous Supps. Not many actually get picked...especially those with substance issues. They then find themselves in another _FL.

EMB6903
04-28-2011, 08:17 PM
My goodness.. Why so much hate towards the OP?

Its a great idea. Jenkins is a very good player who would have been a 1st round had he not been caught smoking weed while in college.

vandammage13
04-29-2011, 08:47 AM
You didn't answer my question, 13. What hole? And personally, a #2 is too high for somebody that may spend more time OFF the field than on. Plus, a cb has lower value than a wr.
Not to mention, IF the league doesn't allow for undrafted free agents on sunday, he could be gotten for free later this summer, along with the undrafted.

The hole is aging Champ Bailey and Andre Goodman, who are both 32...In a year or two that leaves us with unproven Perrish Cox. There's not an immediate need, but there will be very soon.