PDA

View Full Version : Can the Broncos catch up?

TXBRONC
04-28-2011, 09:09 AM
Can the Broncos catch up?
That's key question in AFC West, which Chiefs won last season after their solid draft
By Jeff Legwold
The Denver Post
Posted: 04/28/2011 01:00:00 AM MDT

The Broncos' biggest concern as they entered the 2010 NFL draft was figuring out how they were going to catch the San Diego Chargers in the AFC West.

A tumultuous year and a 4-12 season later, the Broncos are ready to make their highest draft pick ever — at No. 2 — while trying to catch the Chargers (and everyone else) in the AFC West.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_17945447

The short answer is yes. Can they do it in one season? I don't know.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
04-28-2011, 09:13 AM
I've bought into the two year plan.

TXBRONC
04-28-2011, 09:28 AM

I think that's what it will more than like take.

tomjonesrocks
04-28-2011, 09:28 AM
I don't know. The Broncos bled out so much talent and got little to nothing in return.

Here we are on draft day--with the 2 pick--but simultaneously here's a story about Hillis getting the nod for the cover of Madden.

Just makes me want to throw up.

Juriga72
04-28-2011, 09:31 AM

Just as long as it is NOT the same "Two Year plan" that was brought here TWO years ago....

TXBRONC
04-28-2011, 09:33 AM
I don't know. The Broncos bled out so much talent and got little to nothing in return.

Here we are on draft day--with the 2 pick--but simultaneously here's a story about Hillis getting the nod for the cover of Madden.

True but if the Broncos can make smart picks over the next couple of seasons it could possibly fill the talent void left by McDaniels.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
04-28-2011, 09:58 AM
Just as long as it is NOT the same "Two Year plan" that was brought here TWO years ago....

We were suppose to win right away with that plan.

TXBRONC
04-28-2011, 10:02 AM

Yep.

Juriga72
04-28-2011, 10:12 AM

But we DID!!!!!! oh well.....

SOCALORADO.
04-28-2011, 10:19 AM
True but if the Broncos can make smart picks over the next couple of seasons it could possibly fill the talent void left by McDaniels.

OK. I will give you the beginning 1 year plan both via the draft and FA.
IMHO of course! LOL!!
DRAFT
1st Marc Dareus, DT, BAMA
2nd Marv Austin, DT, NC
2nd Martez Wilson, MLB, ILLI
3rd Luke Stocker, TE, TENN
6th Allen Bradford, RB, USC
7th Cortez Allen, CB, The Citadel

FA (after the draft)
SAM James Anderson (CAR)
FS/SS Eric Weddle (SD)
RB DeAngelo Williams (CAR)
G/C David Baas (SF)

So the defense is in the beginning phases of being rebuilt on the fly, DENs front 4 become a true force,(Dareus,Austin and Doom) the LBs are now one of the best in the NFL (DJ, Wilson and Anderson) and the secondary is somewhat respectable and dangerous. (Bailey, Weddle, Goody and Hill/McBath)
As for the offense, personally i am hopeful that DEN has already made intital contact with DeAngelo Williams and we have the inside track to signing him. Knowshow is a bust. Let me say it again. Knowshow is a bust.
Hes slow, horrible vision, and he gets injured picking up the phone.Yes, i know DWILL has had some injuries, but his absolute superstar, probowl ability trumps it. DEN needs superstar talent to help this offesnse, and TT, and DWill adds just that. Hes worth it. If Knowshowe could do hapf the things DWILL does on the field i would say keep, but he plain blows. Add DWill and Allen Bradford and DEN has a monster running attack to go along with a new shiny TE for TT and the already good WR corps. Baas can play C or G and is projected to be able to play LT. Yeah, hes a versatile O-linemen with skills thats on the market. Huge too. 6-4 330. Road grater. The offesne is set.
Not bad for one offseason. But DEN will need to hit on all picks in the draft and absolutely ATTACK FA with a vengence. You gotta pay to get the talent and DEN will need to do just that.

BORDERLINE
04-28-2011, 10:29 AM
The defense sucked last year and With Doom back and possibly Marcell at DT we can instantly get more production from our D-Line, yeah the dead last defense but maybe we can get it to the middle of the pack. Tebow should keep us in games and keep the chain moving something Orton could only do when he threw bombs to Lloyd but we need to have a running game. If Moreno starts how he finished the year we could at least have some hope of playing meaningful games in late december.

topscribe
04-28-2011, 10:48 AM
I expect a precipitous upsurge this year. We seem to forget the Broncos have
one of the best defensive backfields and one of the best passing games in
the league. They need to (1) slow down the run on defense and (2) pick up
the run on offense.

They will add the personnel they need for item #1 this year, and for #2,
the O-line was already blocking better at the close of last year, and the
RBs, who are good enough, will be healthy.

This is a 10-6 team this year. I believe that.

-----

TXBRONC
04-28-2011, 11:25 AM
IMHO of course! LOL!!
DRAFT
2nd Marv Austin, DT, NC

FA (after the draft)
SAM James Anderson (CAR)
FS/SS Eric Weddle (SD)
G/C David Baas (SF)

So the defense is in the beginning phases of being rebuilt on the fly, DENs front 4 become a true force,(Dareus,Austin and Doom) the LBs are now one of the best in the NFL (DJ, Wilson and Anderson) and the secondary is somewhat respectable and dangerous. (Bailey, Weddle, Goody and Hill/McBath)
As for the offense, personally i am hopeful that DEN has already made intital contact with DeAngelo Williams and we have the inside track to signing him. Knowshow is a bust. Let me say it again. Knowshow is a bust.
Hes slow, horrible vision, and he gets injured picking up the phone.Yes, i know DWILL has had some injuries, but his absolute superstar, probowl ability trumps it. DEN needs superstar talent to help this offesnse, and TT, and DWill adds just that. Hes worth it. If Knowshowe could do hapf the things DWILL does on the field i would say keep, but he plain blows. Add DWill and Allen Bradford and DEN has a monster running attack to go along with a new shiny TE for TT and the already good WR corps. Baas can play C or G and is projected to be able to play LT. Yeah, hes a versatile O-linemen with skills thats on the market. Huge too. 6-4 330. Road grater. The offesne is set.
Not bad for one offseason. But DEN will need to hit on all picks in the draft and absolutely ATTACK FA with a vengence. You gotta pay to get the talent and DEN will need to do just that.

Good grief when did you get so long winded. :lol:

rcsodak
04-28-2011, 11:30 AM

I hope you're not saying Hillis wouldve saved last year. NO rb/fb could've done that, imo.

silkamilkamonico
04-28-2011, 11:31 AM
I expect at least 8 wins this year. And playoffs next year.

SOCALORADO.
04-28-2011, 11:31 AM
Good grief when did you get so long winded. :lol:

Well you asked for it! there it is, DAMMIT!
I just text' that whole plan to Elway and Fox so you should see a carbon copy of that starting tonight.
hold on a sec....Elway just text' back to me that its a go.
So we go that goin for us...

rcsodak
04-28-2011, 11:33 AM
IMHO of course! LOL!!
DRAFT
2nd Marv Austin, DT, NC

FA (after the draft)
SAM James Anderson (CAR)
FS/SS Eric Weddle (SD)
G/C David Baas (SF)

I highly doubt Austin will be there in the 2nd. And isn't there 2-7's?

Traveler
04-28-2011, 11:34 AM
IMHO of course! LOL!!
DRAFT
2nd Marv Austin, DT, NC

FA (after the draft)
SAM James Anderson (CAR)
FS/SS Eric Weddle (SD)
G/C David Baas (SF)

Like the Baas acquisition. Nice swing player.

Here's my dream scenario for Year 1:

Draft the following:

#1 - Von Miller, LB, Texas A&M, 6'-3" 246 lbs.
#2 - Marvin Austin, DT, North Carolina, 6'-3" 310 lbs.
#2 - Orlando Franklin, OT, Miami, 6'-6" 316 lbs
#3 - DeMarco Murray, RB, Oklahoma, 6'-0", 213 lbs.
#6 - Robert Sands, FS, West Virginia, 6'4" 217 lbs.
#6 - Jordan Cameron, TE, USC, 6'-6" 254 lbs.
#7 - Owen Marecic, FB, Stanford, 6'-1" 246 lbs.

In FA:

Kevin Boss, TE, 6'-6" 253, NYG (pretty complete TE)
Alan Branch, DT, 6'-6" 338, ARZ(better suited as "40" front tackle IMO).
Charles Johnson, DE, 6'-2" 275, CAR (if Carolina let's him test the market)

As much as I'd like to see the team acquire Williams services, we need someone one can stress the edges, ala KC's Jamaal Charles. Demarco Murray would fill that need. Keep Lendale White as the power back.

We've already got our blocking TE in Quinn. Kevin Boss has nice skills in both blocking and can stress the seams. That will give the team significant time to train up Jordan Cameron, who has a tremendous upside.

Adding Branch to the rotation of Vickerson, Austin, Leonard, gives us 4 gap pentrating DT's who can also stop the run.

With Dumervil and Miller bringing heat off the edges, teams would be forced to gameplan two elite pass rushers and create more opportunities for our CB's to get turnovers.

We can't fix all the defensive woes this year, but I'd like to think this would be a good start.

Traveler
04-28-2011, 11:35 AM

I agree, but one can hope.

SOCALORADO.
04-28-2011, 11:37 AM

So replace Austin with Paea or Liuget. Whateva works.
I am not sure about 2 7ths. I thought we only had one.

arapaho2
04-28-2011, 11:40 AM
I hope you're not saying Hillis wouldve saved last year. NO rb/fb could've done that, imo.

a guy who can pick up the tuff 3rd and short instead of being forced to pass...woulda helped alot

arapaho2
04-28-2011, 11:42 AM

Draft the following:

In FA:

As much as I'd like to see the team acquire Williams services, we need someone one can stress the edges, ala KC's Jamaal Charles. Demarco Murray would fill that need. Keep Lendale White as the power back.

We've already got our blocking TE in Quinn. Kevin Boss has nice skills in both blocking and can stress the seams. That will give the team significant time to train up Jordan Cameron, who has a tremendous upside.

Adding Branch to the rotation of Vickerson, Austin, Leonard, gives us 4 gap pentrating DT's who can also stop the run.

With Dumervil and Miller bringing heat off the edges, teams would be forced to gameplan two elite pass rushers and create more opportunities for our CB's to get turnovers.

We can't fix all the defensive woes this year, but I'd like to think this would be a good start.

your dream scenario for the 32nd ranked defense is to draft mainly offense

SOCALORADO.
04-28-2011, 11:43 AM

Draft the following:

In FA:

Love the effort! I am still leary of Miller, but whatever.
Cameron would be nice, but he will take some time and Boss can be an immediate impact security blanket for TT. Like Murray too.
Love the Johnson and Branch signings too, although i think that Johnson could be tough to pry away from CAR.
Dont like Sands or any safeties in this draft. Hips are a bit of an issue, but again, solid overall draft and FA and i like that like mine, you are rebuilding on the fly, and geting impact players at critical positions of need.
This team will need to spend some coin in FA if its going to compete.

TXBRONC
04-28-2011, 11:54 AM

As you me a different perspective on a post by JR the same can be said here. TJR didn't say Hillis would have last season. He said basically that McDaniels decision to get rid of Hillis was a terrible season.

TXBRONC
04-28-2011, 11:56 AM
Well you asked for it! there it is, DAMMIT!
I just text' that whole plan to Elway and Fox so you should see a carbon copy of that starting tonight.
hold on a sec....Elway just text' back to me that its a go.
So we go that goin for us...

Wow I was worried. :lol:

Traveler
04-28-2011, 11:57 AM
your dream scenario for the 32nd ranked defense is to draft mainly offense

Does seem that way, huh?

I'm going off the premise that defense is not the only place we have holes. And I'm pretty sure we won't find many quality defensive players in the 6th and seventh rounds.

Sure, we could use our first four picks on the defensive side of the ball, but Fox's new power rushing offense doesn't have the required players either IMO.

As was stated in a DP article yesterday, the "Big 3" don't believe defense is as bad as it seems. Of course we all agree that the DL must be addressed and I'm sure they will do so.

Just trying to address some of the team's biggest needs.

What would you do differently?

silkamilkamonico
04-28-2011, 11:59 AM
McDaniels decision to get rid of Hillis was obviously terrible.

But in the grand scheme of things, high profile RB's do not win SuperBowls. They just don't.

TXBRONC
04-28-2011, 12:08 PM
McDaniels decision to get rid of Hillis was obviously terrible.

But in the grand scheme of things, high profile RB's do not win SuperBowls. They just don't.

I don't think anyone is saying Hillis would win a Super Bowl for us but having a solid running game is an important part to have.

topscribe
04-28-2011, 12:11 PM
I don't think anyone is saying Hillis would win a Super Bowl for us but having a solid running game is an important part to have.

It's critical. The difference will be like day and night in 3rd down conversions
and red zone performance. The entirety of the Broncos' failure last year was
the running game . . . on both sides of the ball . . .

-----

Lonestar
04-28-2011, 02:58 PM

Just have to ask what talent did we bleed? Jay BM ts not worth TE issues they had even with mikes coaching staff. hillis I grant I'd love to have back besides him what RB was worth a crap.

Our OL is better today than it was before especially if Harris is gone. An ok run blocker but a swinging door against speed rushers.
Do we really have less talent today than we did when mike left.
His entire starting defense sans DJ, doom and champ are looking for work.
Let alone starters.
Wr are IMO stronger faster and more consistent than before.

I just do not see that we are worse than were before.

TXBRONC
04-28-2011, 03:28 PM
Just have to ask what talent did we bleed? Jay BM ts not worth TE issues they had even with mikes coaching staff. hillis I grant I'd love to have back besides him what RB was worth a crap.

Our OL is better today than it was before especially if Harris is gone. An ok run blocker but a swinging door against speed rushers.
Let alone starters.

People who actually evaluate for living don't see it that way.

Slick
04-28-2011, 03:34 PM
Nice posts Traveler and Socal.

It's extremely disappointing to me the way this off season has turned out. I think it hurts us more than most teams because we have so much work to do.

I was curious to see if Fox is able to draw solid FA talent instead of the scrubs we end up signing year after year.

I'm really, really glad Wink is gone. McCoy staying on worries me a little.

What worries me is if Fox thinks he can work some sort of miracle (try to make the playoffs at the expense of letting younger players gain necessary experience). I am fully prepared to watch us struggle again this season, but I hope that's with a young QB learning the ropes and some new defensive players learning to play together in yet another new scheme.

Trying to stay optimistic.

TXBRONC
04-28-2011, 03:39 PM
Nice posts Traveler and Socal.

It's extremely disappointing to me the way this off season has turned out. I think it hurts us more than most teams because we have so much work to do.

I was curious to see if Fox is able to draw solid FA talent instead of the scrubs we end up signing year after year.

I'm really, really glad Wink is gone. McCoy staying on worries me a little.

What worries me is if Fox thinks he can work some sort of miracle (try to make the playoffs at the expense of letting younger players gain necessary experience). I am fully prepared to watch us struggle again this season, but I hope that's with a young QB learning the ropes and some new defensive players learning to play together in yet another new scheme.

Trying to stay optimistic.

I think Fox is much more realistic than that.

topscribe
04-28-2011, 03:52 PM

Let alone starters.

I really believe that. Our weakness on the front three was the primary reason
for the open floodgates in run defense. The front three in a 3-4 would play the
middle two in the 4-3, so the same deficit in talent would apply, and that's
right up the middle. That defensive configuration had people playing out of
position, including Ayers, Hunter, and D.J. Just getting them back to where
they belong will do wonders, IMO, and getting Dumervil back will be dramatic.

Now, if they can get a Dareus to go along with Vick in the middle, maybe
draft another DT in the second or third, add a LB or two, and maybe get
Thomas and Bannan back, and all the sudden the Broncos have a defense.

The other problem was the running game. Getting KM and LenDale back
healthy is going to make a difference, and the line seems to be gelling, finally.
Getting on to DeAngelo Williams like ugly on ape until he signs will help, too.

Where the Broncos have holes, they are gaping holes, no doubt. But there
aren't as many of those as many people think, IMO . . .
-

arapaho2
04-28-2011, 04:15 PM
Does seem that way, huh?

I'm going off the premise that defense is not the only place we have holes. And I'm pretty sure we won't find many quality defensive players in the 6th and seventh rounds.

Sure, we could use our first four picks on the defensive side of the ball, but Fox's new power rushing offense doesn't have the required players either IMO.

As was stated in a DP article yesterday, the "Big 3" don't believe defense is as bad as it seems. Of course we all agree that the DL must be addressed and I'm sure they will do so.

Just trying to address some of the team's biggest needs.

What would you do differently?

well alot is gonna depend on who we get with #2

i do think we need to address a pass catching TE
we have a fb that can serve for another season...not the best , but when you run outta a predominate single back its not crucial
as for a rb...i think we need a powerhouse back...free agency or undrafted players can filll that void if white doesnt work

aside from the TE...we need defense...lbrs and line

SpringsBroncoFan
04-28-2011, 04:53 PM

Draft the following:

In FA:

I like Murray but the only way I'd take a RB is if Ingram is sitting there at 36 and we already picked Dareus/Fairley.

If we had Miller at 2 & Austin/Paea are off the board then probably also...

Unless we already draft two DT's the 67 needs to be value, preferably LB or OT...

I'd also prefer to see OT at 46 but am worried now that Cannon having cancer is going to set off a run on OT earlier...

I'd be concerned if Sands falls that far, I like Gomes as a project S who can play both spots. I love Cameron as a project too.

We can get starting S & LB, with help at DT, TE, & RB in FA, hopefully Fox & Co already know where they stand with Williams & Anderson...

Draft for value where we can't get it in FA, otherwise fill the needs in FA...