PDA

View Full Version : Best mock draft of 2011

rationalfan
04-27-2011, 03:48 PM
By Matt Taibbi, Rolling Stone's political writer. He writes what we all think.

2. Denver - MARCEL DAREUS, DT, Alabama

Having John Fox make this pick right after Richardson, who just fired him, sets this up as an outstanding vengeance/karma pick. In Denver’s place I would go with probable immediate megastar wideout A.J. Green here, to really make it hurt, but they probably think they can’t take Green, and the fun part is why: ousted coach Josh McDaniels in recent years spent two high picks on jury-still-out offensive skill guys (Tim Tebow and Demariyus Thomas) and left the team with only two players on defense likely to still be Broncos two years from now. Even better, those two defensive cornerstones are Champ Bailey, who turns 33 in June and in 2014 will be making $10 million a year as a 36 year-old cornerback, and Elvis Dumervil, a 5’11” d-lineman with a torn ACL. So the Broncos probably feel like they have to go defense here, which is too bad, because Kyle Orton throwing to Brandon Lloyd and A.J. Green would be fun to watch.

But Fox will take Dareus here, in the hope that the former Alabama stud quietly and consistently dominates while back in Carolina, Newton blows up in old boss Richardson’s face – either in a torrent of ugly TO-ish scandal-headlines, or via the more painful, death-by-a-thousand-cuts alternative, i.e. multiple agonizing years of Jamarcus Russellesque/Joey Harringtonoid ineffectiveness aggravated by vain hopes and brutal self-deceptions (like the inevitable hiring of a new offensive coordinator, leading to inevitable training camp news stories: “For Top Pick Newton, Is Switch Finally Coming On?”), petering out ultimately in another 1-15 season five years from now. Such a scenario might actually kill Richardson, and yet this is the obvious karmic storyline buried in this draft and straining to emerge. I don’t know if it will happen, but it’s there.

Read the rest here:

http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/blogs/taibblog/2011-nfl-mock-draft-20110427

rcsodak
04-27-2011, 03:52 PM
Doom has a torn ACL?
I quit reading this dumbass after that. :coffee:

Northman
04-27-2011, 03:54 PM
He had me at hello when he drafted a DT. Great mock. lol

rationalfan
04-27-2011, 04:01 PM
Doom has a torn ACL?
I quit reading this dumbass after that. :coffee:

not like i'm trying to defend taibbi, but he's at least as accurate with the facts as half the people on here.

rcsodak
04-27-2011, 04:03 PM
not like i'm trying to defend taibbi, but he's at least as accurate with the facts as half the people on here.
Yes, but he's PAID to be! :laugh:

rationalfan
04-27-2011, 04:51 PM
Yes, but he's PAID to be! :laugh:

you gotta read the whole thing. it's not meant to be a fact-based bit of prophecy. it's an entertainment/humor item. case in point:

4. Cincinnati - AJ GREEN, WR, Georgia

The sad thing is the Bengals will surely find a way to **** this up anyway, no matter how great this kid is.

topscribe
04-27-2011, 05:03 PM
I don't know about this guy. Ironically, just about the only positive choice
among the first 15 is Denver's selection of Dareus. But I'll have to admit: He is
entertaining and funny. :laugh:

-----

rcsodak
04-27-2011, 05:06 PM
you gotta read the whole thing. it's not meant to be a fact-based bit of prophecy. it's an entertainment/humor item. case in point:

4. Cincinnati - AJ GREEN, WR, Georgia

The sad thing is the Bengals will surely find a way to **** this up anyway, no matter how great this kid is.

Thought you said it wasn't fact-based? :lol:

Still....ACL? Not even the same appendage!

GEM
04-27-2011, 05:17 PM

accurate? He mistook a pectoral for an ACL.

:laugh:

rationalfan
04-27-2011, 05:30 PM
accurate? He mistook a pectoral for an ACL.

:laugh:

you're not disproving my point. read the inverse of your interpretation.

topscribe
04-27-2011, 05:31 PM
you're not disproving my point. read the inverse of your interpretation.

Take it easy, RF. The article was tongue-in-cheek, and so are these posts . . . :)

-----