PDA

View Full Version : All Healthy Hands On Deck For Broncos

Denver Native (Carol)
10-16-2008, 05:03 PM
http://cbs4denver.com/broncos/Mustard.martinez.broncos.2.841006.html

Players Who Were Cut From The Team Get Another Chance

DENVER (CBS4) ― The Broncos don't quite have a help wanted sign hanging outside their Dove Valley facility, but it's close.

Football injuries are an unfortunate fact of life in the NFL, but everyone knows that when someone goes down, his replacement is expected to step right in and get the job done.

Tight end Chad Mustard was just about ready to start his second career as a teacher in Nebraska before starter Tony Scheffler got hurt and the Broncos called him up.

"I saw (Scheffler) come up lame there at the end of the game and I thought, 'Maybe it's just a tweak or something' ... I thought he'd be alright."

Mustard has been waived and then signed again multiple times by the Denver Broncos. That's been his situation since he started in the NFL (He played for Cleveland and Carolina before being a Bronco).

"Hopefully while I'm here I can contribute and hopefully once (Scheffler) is back I can stay," he said.

Obviously the pay as a pro football player is far more lucrative than a teacher's salary, so for Mustard hanging around and being ready to play throughout all these years has paid off.

Glenn Martinez got cut from the team before the season started and was getting used to his second career -- a cleaning business -- but then the Broncos special teams and wide receiver units started to get a little thin.

He rejoined the Broncos roster earlier this month, happily leaving his day job behind, at least for a little while.

"Me and my brothers, we opened up a family business -- a window and carpet cleaning business. My brothers have been doing it for 6 or 7 years."

Martinez got some playing time on Sunday at wide receiver with Eddie Royal being out and Brandon Stokely getting a concussion, and he's been returning kicks for the team. He nearly broke one long return for a touchdown against the Jaguars.

Does Martinez think playing football is more fun than his family business?

"Oh yeah."

Tight end Nate Jackson reflected on the chances unheralded athletes can get in the NFL when they fill in for players who get injured.

"Every week on every single team this is happening," Jackson said. "Guys get opportunities in unexpected ways but you have to take advantage of them."

Long snapper and tight end Mike Leach said that this is the time during the NFL season when a team's depth really starts to pay off.

"The great Patrick Hape (a relative unknown Bronco) once told me 'The more you can do, the more they make you do and the less you get paid.' So I'm ready."

With Martinez, Leach and Mustard in the lineup at this midway point in the season, it's possible the hero in some upcoming game could be the long snapper, the teacher or even the carpet cleaner on the Broncos roster.

sneakers
10-16-2008, 07:04 PM
Thanks DN!

omac
10-16-2008, 07:24 PM
Nice article, Carol! :cheers:

Martinez, Mustard, and Leach don't have anything close to probowl talent, but they're thankful for every chance they can be a part of an NFL team, and they work hard all the time. It's guys like these that put guys like Walker and Henry to shame.

dogfish
10-16-2008, 07:32 PM
gotta love patrick hape references!

:laugh:

rcsodak
10-16-2008, 09:18 PM
I'd like to see NJackson get cut, and them keep Mustard. Not only can he catch the football, something Nate is incapable of doing on a consistent basis, but he can block as well.

Den21vsBal19
10-17-2008, 01:46 AM
Bit unfair to include Leach in the group, we all know he's pretty close to being the best long snapper in the league ;)

Good article though :D