PDA

View Full Version : The first qtr of the Raiders game

lex
09-27-2007, 12:58 AM
OK, I watched the 1st qtr of the game vs the Raiders and focused on the following players: Pears, Meyers, Holland, Gordon, Thomas, Burton, DJ, and Ian.

Basically, Meyers, Holland and Pears really struggled. And so did DJ Williams. I put a letter grade on each play where they were engaged with another player or in a position to impact the play. Here's what Ive totalled:

Pass Plays
Gordon: C, B, C
Thomas: C, C, A
DJ: A, A, B, B, C

Run Plays
Gordon: C, C, D, D, B, B, D, B
Thomas: C, A
DJ: F, F, D, A, F, A, F, D, F

Pass Plays
Meyers: C, B, C, D, D, C, D
Holland: B, A, C, D, D, B, F
Pears: F, C, D, A, C, C, B, D

Run Plays
Meyers: D, C
Holland: A, C, D
Pears: B, C

Im sure there are people more qualified to do this than me but when you watch a play focusing on a particular player, you see a lot of interesting stuff.

Basically, Gordon is a little better than Ive been giving him credit for even though 3 of his 'D's came from double teams where he was pushed around far too easily. One of his 'B's came from holding his ground on a double team.

Williams is really struggling. Notice how much better he is on passing plays than running plays which is probably what youd expect from an OLB trying to play MLB.

Thomas' 'A' on a running play came when DJ overpursued and so there was no one to fill but as Thomas was engaged with his blocker (Gallery), he was able to peel off and make the tackle Vargas for a 4 yard gain. This was on a 3rd and short I believe and if there would have been ANY LB help, it would have been a no gain. This was the best example of a guy shedding a block to make a tackle that I saw and it was from a rookie.