PDA

View Full Version : Does Ugoh Provide an opening for the pass rush?

BigBroncLove
09-26-2007, 11:04 PM
Well, I htought I'd bring this up for discussion. The Colts obviously have Rookie Tony Ugoh in as their new Left Tackle. While he has played fairly well thus far, I think our speedy DE's, and even Rice, will provide a real test for the young rookie. What do you think of the matchups he will face? and if that will become real pressure against Payton....

I personally think he provides the best opening for the Denver D to take advantage of. I think he will do well on run blocking, but against Dumervilel, Moss, or Rice he will be tested on his kick out and plant. Especially Dumerville who seems to use leverage very well. I think if the Broncos want to create pressure, he is their best option to attack besides the blitz (which I am not high on given how well the TE's catch, and how well ADdai can be in short routes, especially in the flats..... blitz will be risking a lot IMO if done with some type of regularity)

TXBRONC
09-26-2007, 11:13 PM
Well, I htought I'd bring this up for discussion. The Colts obviously have Rookie Tony Ugoh in as their new Left Tackle. While he has played fairly well thus far, I think our speedy DE's, and even Rice, will provide a real test for the young rookie. What do you think of the matchups he will face? and if that will become real pressure against Payton....

I personally think he provides the best opening for the Denver D to take advantage of. I think he will do well on run blocking, but against Dumervilel, Moss, or Rice he will be tested on his kick out and plant. Especially Dumerville who seems to use leverage very well. I think if the Broncos want to create pressure, he is their best option to attack besides the blitz (which I am not high on given how well the TE's catch, and how well ADdai can be in short routes, especially in the flats..... blitz will be risking a lot IMO if done with some type of regularity)

I would agree that Ugoh could be their weak link.

shank
09-26-2007, 11:19 PM
ugoh is there weakest link, but that doesn't necessarily make him a weak link. he has played well so far, extremely well for a rookie LT. i'm sure we'll get more pressure sunday than the last couple of times we've played the colts, hopefully resulting in some turnovers.

BigBroncLove
09-26-2007, 11:22 PM
ugoh is there weakest link, but that doesn't necessarily make him a weak link. he has played well so far, extremely well for a rookie LT. i'm sure we'll get more pressure sunday than the last couple of times we've played the colts, hopefully resulting in some turnovers.

I agree, he has played very well, especially for a rookie. I do hope the Denver D can take advantage of him though. HE is a pretty prototypical LT. He has good size, but seems to react well. I think if we are going to blitz, overloading the left side will be an effective tool since he will be less likely to react properly to them. I also think the speed of our DE's can take advantage of his inexperience. It will be a matchup I'll be watching closely, because the rest of that Oline is just downright scary...

TXBRONC
09-26-2007, 11:30 PM
I agree, he has played very well, especially for a rookie. I do hope the Denver D can take advantage of him though. HE is a pretty prototypical LT. He has good size, but seems to react well. I think if we are going to blitz, overloading the left side will be an effective tool since he will be less likely to react properly to them. I also think the speed of our DE's can take advantage of his inexperience. It will be a match up I'll be watching closely, because the rest of that Oline is just downright scary...

Hopefully if there is anything that gives Ugoh problems hopefully Bates finds it and exploits it.

BigBroncLove
09-26-2007, 11:32 PM
Hopefully if there is anything that gives Ugoh problems hopefully Bates finds it and exploits it.

I agree. I imagine givin our lack of real talent at the NT position they will pull the LG to help Ugoh if he starts to have problems, but Bates knows his packages, and I'm sure he'll have some surprises for us. :beer: here's to hoping for introducing Ugoh to the NFL Jim Bates style :beer:

TXBRONC
09-26-2007, 11:41 PM
I agree. I imagine givin our lack of real talent at the NT position they will pull the LG to help Ugoh if he starts to have problems, but Bates knows his packages, and I'm sure he'll have some surprises for us. :beer: here's to hoping for introducing Ugoh to the NFL Jim Bates style :beer:

While Manning is very difficult to raddle I think it can still be done. But we have to knock him down a few time.

dogfish
09-27-2007, 12:24 AM
ugoh lacks natural knee bend and comes out of his stance too high, letting DLs get under his pads-- he doesn't have great base strength and gets pushed around when he loses leverage. . . he needs to learn to sink his hips to anchor against the rush better-- something howard mud, their terrific OL coach, will no doubt be working on. . . he's very beatable. . . will smith was beating him consistently when they played new orleans. . . of course, we saw how much good that did them. . . . :ahhhhh:

TXBRONC
09-27-2007, 06:45 AM
ugoh lacks natural knee bend and comes out of his stance too high, letting DLs get under his pads-- he doesn't have great base strength and gets pushed around when he loses leverage. . . he needs to learn to sink his hips to anchor against the rush better-- something howard mud, their terrific OL coach, will no doubt be working on. . . he's very beatable. . . will smith was beating him consistently when they played new orleans. . . of course, we saw how much good that did them. . . . :ahhhhh:

If that's case with Ugoh (and I doubt you DF) Dumervil ought to be able to beat him consistantly considering his natural leverage advantage.

Joel
09-27-2007, 07:48 AM
I don't really think it matters, because you'd have to be on crack to go at Champ and Bly when our run D is so pitiful. Note: Tony Dungy is NOT on crack, and neither is Joseph Addai. Put the game on your rookie LT against the Leagues top secondary, or put it on your still Pro Bowl guards and proven back against possibly the worst run D in the League; how is that a choice...?

underrated29
09-27-2007, 11:20 AM
as much as peyton likes to pass i do agree, they will probably run the ball alot.

i still think this game is going to be a shootout. it sucks because i have peyton as my ff qb, so maybe he can throw for 4 tds, but never have a lead. unfortunatly i think they will have a lead, and probably run the ball a lot too.

I HATE THE COLTS AND MANNING. sometimes i hate ff too.

TXBRONC
09-27-2007, 11:53 AM
I don't really think it matters, because you'd have to be on crack to go at Champ and Bly when our run D is so pitiful. Note: Tony Dungy is NOT on crack, and neither is Joseph Addai. Put the game on your rookie LT against the Leagues top secondary, or put it on your still Pro Bowl guards and proven back against possibly the worst run D in the League; how is that a choice...?

There is an off chance that as minimal as it may be that they we actually hold their running game in check. Keeping that in mind I don't think for a minute that Peyton wont put the ball 30 to 40 times regardless of our run defense.

Retired_Member_001
09-27-2007, 03:54 PM
There is an off chance that as minimal as it may be that they we actually hold their running game in check. Keeping that in mind I don't think for a minute that Peyton wont put the ball 30 to 40 times regardless of our run defense.

Peyton's head is too big ( I mean that both ways :laugh: ).

There's no way Peytato head wont throw the ball more than 25 times. His ego is too big.

I agree.

Tom33
09-29-2007, 08:17 AM
The broncos have a shot because the Indy Dis not that good this year.

TXBRONC
09-29-2007, 11:57 AM
The broncos have a shot because the Indy Dis not that good this year.

So far Tom statistically speaking they are way better than they were last year. This year they're only giving up about 95 yards rushing per game, last year they led the League with 178 yards rushing per game. I have hunch some of that might be due to their high powered offense but nonetheless they appear to be better at this point.

dogfish
09-29-2007, 02:35 PM
So far Tom statistically speaking they are way better than they were last year. This year they're only giving up about 95 yards rushing per game, last year they led the League with 178 yards rushing per game. I have hunch some of that might be due to their high powered offense but nonetheless they appear to be better at this point.

new orleans thinks they're pretty good!

:laugh:

hopefully we can give them a better challenge. . . .

omac
09-29-2007, 03:56 PM

It's not very indicative of their rush defense, though; New Orleans was a below-par rushing team last season, and they were only about 5 or so yards off of their average rushing against Indy. Houston was another below-average rushing team last season, plus their #1 and #2 rbs were injured, so they were down to their #3, plus their #1 and #2(or #3) receivers were down too.

Against a top rushing offense, Tennessee, they allowed about 140 yards rushing.

TXBRONC
09-29-2007, 04:18 PM
It's not very indicative of their rush defense, though; New Orleans was a below-par rushing team last season, and they were only about 5 or so yards off of their average rushing against Indy. Houston was another below-average rushing team last season, plus their #1 and #2 rbs were injured, so they were down to their #3, plus their #1 and #2(or #3) receivers were down too.

I'm understanding you correctly then we're thinking along the same lines. I not sure that 95 yards per game is as good as it looks. Tomorrow we'll see if we can get the job done.

Joel
10-04-2007, 04:45 AM

We got our runs and they got theirs; most of their passing was in the second half when we were desperately throwing everything but the kitchen sink at Addai and his anonymous backup without stopping either. Interesting stats on Indy giving up just over 170 rushing yards/game when they were #32 last season, and 140 against a "good" Tennessee rush. Here's some more stats courtesy of NFL.com:

Denver rushing D, yards/game: 181.0, yards/carry: 5.0 League rank: #31 (ahead of Miami).

Our passing D is #1, even after facing Manning and the Colts, giving up about 114 yards/game.

So once again, which part of our D would you attack if you were Indy--or San Diego, or anyone else...?