PDA

View Full Version : I love this Broncos team!

omac
10-15-2008, 10:46 PM
Finally got to watch the Jacksonville game. It's too bad about the loss, but great effort.

There were a few turnovers, but luckily, most weren't very costly. The great strip when Jay was moving inside the pocket just gave Jacksonville the ball at about the place where Wester caused Taylor to lose it. The Cutler INT at the 10 was as good as a punt to pin them there. The Marshall fumble was a key one, though.

It was the cause for a potential 14 point swing, but he made up for it playing his heart out. That play where bounced off some tackles and went across the field and several defenders for extra yards before being forced out of bounds. Incredible. The way he tries to get extra yards, he gets himself in more of a risk to lose the football. That happened with AD of the Vikings too last season.

I didn't like a lot of the playcalling on 3rd and 2 or 1; for all the accolades on Bates playcalling (and rightfully desserved), he gets a little too cute and a bit predictable on 3rd and short. He likes to go with the "surprise" pass, even though I'm sure defensive coordinators have pegged him down on those. If we were gonna run it on 4th and 1 anyway, I'd rather we'd have 2 tries starting with 3rd and 1. I'd also rather we kicked that FG on 4th down, but I guess with the way Pittman was bulldozing over their defense, they felt confident he could get it; running a pass play on 3rd and 1, then going for it on 4th down is just a little to cocky, though. :D Now that it looks like Pittman seems like a very dependable option, we can lean on him more.

Our receiving corps took a big blow when Stokley went down; Jay was then without his #2, #3, and #4 receivers. Martinez, Jackson & Jackson did commendable jobs, but the difference was very evident. I'm glad Martinez seems to be much better at catching the football now. Great run by him on the return.

Although the defense was gashed by key missed tackles, I like how they were hitting hard and flying towards the ball. They had some good run stops, and even some good penetration towards Garrard, one with Peterson causing the fumble. Even our pass coverage for most of the game was pretty good. The defense made some good stops, but the plays they missed were key to the game.

There were 2 iffy pass interference calls on against the defense during very critical downs, but those are just the breaks in the game.

Michael Pittman looked great as the #1, maybe the best we've seen from our RBs all season. The season's still pretty early, though, so I'd rather not let the 33 year old play too much. I'd rather keep him fresh for late in the season, and the playoffs, hopefully.

Hats off to Jacksonville, they played pretty tough. Garrard made some plays with his feet and his strength to avoid negative plays. Mojo was great, and so was Matt Jones.

A good loss never tastes as sweet as a bad win, but this was a good one. Because of Pittman, Selvin wasn't missed much on offense, but Stokley (when he went out), Tony, and Eddie sure were. We were forced into playing "Jacksonville-ball", and they just beat us at their game.

Can't wait for Stokley, Tony, and Eddie to get healthy. :cheers:

sacmar
10-16-2008, 05:16 PM
I'm with ya...i got carried away and caught up with our early success but you know what they are already better than i thought we'd be. Those first couple of games may have got our expectations a little too high but this is a team that will win some and loose some and either way i'm here every week they play.