PDA

View Full Version : Goodell: Football's Future if the Players Win

BroncoWave
04-26-2011, 12:49 AM
Pretty interesting article written by Goodell. Not saying I agree or disagree, just putting it out there.

Football's Future If the Players Win
There would be no draft. Incoming players would sell their services to the richest teams.
By ROGER GOODELL

Late Monday afternoon, U.S. District Court Judge Susan Richard Nelson issued a ruling that may significantly alter professional football as we know it.

For six weeks, there has been a work stoppage in the National Football League as the league has sought to negotiate a new collective-bargaining agreement with the players. But Judge Nelson ordered the end of the stoppage and recognized the players' right to dissolve their union. By blessing this negotiating tactic, the decision may endanger one of the most popular and successful sports leagues in history.

What would the NFL look like without a collectively bargained compromise? For many years, the collectively bargained system—which has given the players union enhanced free agency and capped the amount that owners spend on salaries—has worked enormously well for the NFL, for NFL players, and for NFL fans.

Read more here: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704132204576285090526726626.html?m od=wsj_share_twitter

Npba900
04-26-2011, 05:31 AM
The owners need to be very careful they do not over reach.

tomjonesrocks
04-26-2011, 10:25 AM
Pretty interesting case--it sounds like the law may very well be on the players side, even though if they get everything they ask for the league would be a disaster. Well, unless you're a New York or Dallas fan in which case what the players want is a wet dream.

arapaho2
04-26-2011, 10:38 AM
if thats what the players want....fine, as a owner i would ask every team small or large, seek solidarity and just agree that no team will pay more than a million dollars per season per any player or position once existing contract expires

Juriga72
04-26-2011, 10:38 AM
For a guy who has no interest in the NFL, just what the owners want... Propaganda from that side at best.

Even Bud Seilig is like..."Dude....."

rcsodak
04-26-2011, 10:43 AM
if thats what the players want....fine, as a owner i would ask every team small or large, seek solidarity and just agree that no team will pay more than a million dollars per season per any player or position once existing contract expires

Dreamy idea, tho illegal.

Davii
04-26-2011, 10:57 AM
Unfortunately that would be illegal. I don't see all of those demands being met. Every other sport has a draft. I don't see the salary cap going away as I think the league can show they would cease to exist in short order without it.

I think more than anything the players are showing their hand and forcing the owners to reach an agreement that is fair to the players. If I were faced with all that I knot I'd be willing to give a bit more in CBA.

arapaho2
04-26-2011, 11:09 AM
Dreamy idea, tho illegal.

why...there is no union....there is no minimun or maximun cap...there is no law in this country that says a qb MUST be paid 100 million is there

you enter a non union workforce you get paid what the company will pay...if you dont like it you dont work

silkamilkamonico
04-26-2011, 11:31 AM
The more power the players have, the more lopsided system you have, and the NFL will lean more towards the NBA and MLB in terms of team spending and competing.

BORDERLINE
04-26-2011, 12:34 PM
why...there is no union....there is no minimun or maximun cap...there is no law in this country that says a qb MUST be paid 100 million is there

you enter a non union workforce you get paid what the company will pay...if you dont like it you dont work

that's how I see it. the players are looking to establish a market value and if all the clubs put it at 1 million a season I don't see how that's a illegal. You know what really sucks is that he top tier players are gonna rake in the money while all of the back-ups are going to be making considerably less money since there won't be a minimum. A proven veteran back-up will be paid like a undrafted rookie.

Lonestar
04-26-2011, 02:24 PM
Players need to realize that the owners do not have to cater to the union.

There is a point where it is more profitable to sink all your money in municipal bonds and be guaranteed a stable rate of return, tax free.
If that happens only the mega egos of synder Davis jones will stay in the market place and it will shrink.

The players should be careful of what they wish for.

If the owners get the stay and this gets into sept then the unity and possibly the union will splinter.

UnderArmour
04-26-2011, 02:36 PM
Players need to realize that the owners do not have to cater to the union.

There is a point where it is more profitable to sink all your money in municipal bonds and be guaranteed a stable rate of return, tax free.
If that happens only the mega egos of synder Davis jones will stay in the market place and it will shrink.

The players should be careful of what they wish for.

If the owners get the stay and this gets into sept then the unity and possibly the union will splinter.

Owners need to realize that the players do not have to sign a collective bargaining agreement. Players do not have to provide their services under an arrangement like a collective bargaining agreement. Players can provide their services as individuals just like in any other job market. Problem is: The good players will be overpaid and many NFL teams will be uncompetitive and this will be bad for long term growth of the game. But, the Mannings and Bradys will get paid.

ktrain
04-26-2011, 11:24 PM
Pretty interesting case--it sounds like the law may very well be on the players side, even though if they get everything they ask for the league would be a disaster. Well, unless you're a New York or Dallas fan in which case what the players want is a wet dream.

what the owners need to do is make the work conditions terrible for the players. They cannot collude to keep salaries down, that is illegal and fairly easy to prove.....

I would suggest the following:

1. Play 2 games per week
2. Expand the season to 20 weeks
3. Expand rosters to account for all the extra injuries that will inevitable result from a 50 game regular season. hire a bunch of scrubs for $100k a year to fill these extra spots, and cut you non stars when they are injured due to being over played......

the players will be begging to go back to 16 games with a draft, limited free agency etc.....
4. take away many of the other perks