PDA

View Full Version : Lockout is over

UnderArmour
04-25-2011, 05:07 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/04/25/report-judge-nelson-lifts-lockout/

As expected, a ruling on the players’ motion to lift the lockout came Monday.

As expected, the ruling favors the players.

Chris Mortensen of ESPN reports that Judge Nelson has issued a ruling in favor of the players. The NFL reportedly will seek an immediate stay of the implementation of the decision.
Read rest at link(Not much).

Hopefully there is a delay so that there is no stay of the injunction until AFTER the draft so that we can trade Orton.

GEM
04-25-2011, 05:12 PM
Trade Orton RIGHT FREAKING NOW, while no rule is in place. :laugh:

nevcraw
04-25-2011, 05:13 PM
Not Over yet.. depends if NFL gets a stay.

The immediate impact of the ruling on the status of an estimated 500 free agent players and other player transactions is uncertain. If the league does not get the court to stay the ruling pending an appeal, the league will have to open its doors for players. The NFL also will have to decide whether to impose a similar system that has been in place under the previous collective bargaining agreement that expired on March 11.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=6424084

Northman
04-25-2011, 05:14 PM
Its progress.......

BroncoStud
04-25-2011, 05:23 PM
Worst offseason ever, worst possible year to have draft pick #2, and worst possible year to have Kyle Orton on your roster.

This pretty much just sucks.

chazoe60
04-25-2011, 05:39 PM
Please trade the dead weight (Orton) now!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A 5th, a 6th, or a box of corn flakes. Anything, just get him the Hell away from my beloved Denver Broncos.

underrated29
but the broncos did stay at a motel 6 last night.

Denver Native (Carol)
Fairly long article:

ST. PAUL, Minn.—A federal judge on Monday ordered an end to the NFL lockout, giving the players an early victory in their fight with the owners over how to divide the $9 billion business.

U.S. District Judge Susan Richard Nelson said she was swayed by the players' argument that that the lockout, now in its second month, was causing irreparable harm to their careers.

The plaintiffs "have made a strong showing that allowing the League to continue their 'lockout' is presently inflicting, and will continue to inflict, irreparable harm upon them, particularly when weighed against the lack of any real injury that would be imposed on the NFL by issuing the preliminary injunction," Nelson wrote.

The NFL promised an immediate appeal.

"We will promptly seek a stay from Judge Nelson pending an expedited appeal to the Eighth Circuit Court of Appeals," the league said. "We believe that federal law bars injunctions in labor disputes. We are confident that the Eighth Circuit will agree. But we also believe that this dispute will inevitably end with a collective bargaining agreement, which would be in the best interests of players, clubs and fans. We can reach a fair agreement only if we continue negotiations toward that goal."

http://www.denverpost.com/breakingnews/ci_17925032

Tned
04-25-2011, 05:45 PM
What's the irreparable harm? I don't get it.

GEM
04-25-2011, 05:47 PM
Gotta pay that child support, mang!

:lol:

MileHighCrew
04-25-2011, 05:51 PM
Hopefully player movement is allowed at the draft. I think it is very important for the Broncos. I am also hope FA is open so the markets can be set

Juriga72
04-25-2011, 05:54 PM
Trade Orton RIGHT FREAKING NOW, while no rule is in place. :laugh:

marry me right now..... LOL

titan
04-25-2011, 05:57 PM
Worst offseason ever, worst possible year to have draft pick #2, and worst possible year to have Kyle Orton on your roster.

This pretty much just sucks.

Agree on #1 and #3 but worst year to have the #2? With the Panthers probably blowing pick #1 (Newton) we get the best player on the board. True, we can't trade the #2 pick in any deal involving players, but we could still trade it for picks (and the broncos trades last year during the draft were just for picks). It's pretty much agreed any labor deal is going to have a rookie salary cap making pick #2 more valuable than last year. In the last few years teams didn't want to draft that high due to the $$$ it would cost them.

yardog
marry me right now..... LOL

:tsk:

Denver Native (Carol)
What's the irreparable harm? I don't get it.

:questionmark::questionmark::questionmark::questio nmark::questionmark:

Dzone
04-25-2011, 06:01 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/04/25/report-judge-nelson-lifts-lockout/

Read rest at link(Not much).

Hopefully there is a delay so that there is no stay of the injunction until AFTER the draft so that we can trade Orton.
Haha, my thoughts exactly. The first thing I thought when I read this was "WooHoo, hope we can trade Orton now!"

dogfish
04-25-2011, 06:30 PM
so you're saying there's a chance?

Denver Native (Carol)
04-25-2011, 06:46 PM
If anyone is interested, you can open the link, click on the word here and read the whole thing - It is 32 PAGES long :eek:

http://www.nfllockout.com/2011/04/25/brady-et-al-v-nfl-preliminary-injunction-order/

Juriga72
04-25-2011, 07:05 PM
they lost me at "As of today"

nevcraw
04-25-2011, 07:09 PM
they lost me at "As of today"

I was done at "United States"... zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Denver Native (Carol)
04-25-2011, 07:18 PM
From antitrust attorney in know. RT @JasonLReimer: If I were a player, I'd show up tomorrow at team facilities to argue for workout bonuses.
23 minutes ago via ÜberSocial

http://twitter.com/#!/AdamSchefter

Denver Native (Carol)
04-25-2011, 07:34 PM
Despite judges ruling, Broncos keep status quo unless diected to do otherwise by the NFL. So, in effect, the lockout continues.
24 minutes ago via Twitter for BlackBerry®

http://twitter.com/#!/thegarymiller/statuses/62669503691108353

UnderArmour
04-25-2011, 08:07 PM
Doesn't matter. If players show up tomorrow and are not let in, the plaintiffs in the Brady case will be held in contempt of court. -THEY HAVE TO- let in Broncos players tomorrow morning should they should up for work. They do not have a choice in the matter. Offseason training starts tomorrow at 8 AM sharp. Get your popcorn ready.

Denver Native (Carol)
04-25-2011, 08:22 PM
Doesn't matter. If players show up tomorrow and are not let in, the plaintiffs in the Brady case will be held in contempt of court. -THEY HAVE TO- let in Broncos players tomorrow morning should they should up for work. They do not have a choice in the matter. Offseason training starts tomorrow at 8 AM sharp. Get your popcorn ready.

I am not sure how this works - the owners have already filed an appeal.

UnderArmour
04-25-2011, 08:29 PM
I am not sure how this works - the owners have already filed an appeal.

This court or the appeals court has to grant a stay on the injunction in the meantime. Until a stay is granted, the lockout is not in effect. If the owners uphold the lockout without the court granting a stay, they are in contempt of court and subject to further legal measures.

Denver Native (Carol)
04-25-2011, 08:29 PM
NFL consultant and Chicago-based sports business expert Marc Ganis says the league could still get leverage.

"Nelson's decision was reasonably predictable but still a tough loss for the NFL. The league needs to get a win either from the NLRB or the 8th Circuit (Court of Appeals) to get the players to become more open to a true negotiation. For the moment, it appears the players have the upper hand in any negotiation for a new CBA, which makes the process even more unlikely to achieve an agreement....The players — if they want an agreement quickly — would be very smart to negotiate with the league hard right now. Since it is reasonably predictable that the 8th Circuit will overturn Judge Nelson, the players never will have more leverage than they do right now. But football fans shouldn't hold their breath waiting for that," Ganis said.

full article - http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/2011-04-25-ruling-players-favor_N.htm

Denver27og
04-25-2011, 08:40 PM
i thought everyone LOVED orton in here..

what happened?

SM19
04-25-2011, 08:51 PM
http://twitter.com/#!/thegarymiller/statuses/62669503691108353

Makes sense. It's not in the interest of the teams to push trades through this narrow window, since it would just give the injunction added legitimacy. Naturally they'll continue to act as though the lockout were ongoing (except where doing so might cause them to be in contempt of court).

Denver Native (Carol)
04-26-2011, 12:04 AM
From article:

The news set the stage for an interesting Tuesday morning, with the possibility of many players reporting to their respective team's headquarters.

Aiello said late Monday night that if players show up, they will be allowed into facilities.

"If a player comes to the facility, he will be treated courteously and with respect," Aiello said.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81f77c4f/article/judge-grants-players-injunction-nfl-appeals-ruling?module=HP_headlines

dogfish
04-26-2011, 02:02 AM
From article:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81f77c4f/article/judge-grants-players-injunction-nfl-appeals-ruling?module=HP_headlines

rumor has it tim tebow is currently sleeping in his car in the player's lot at dove valley. . .

Npba900
04-26-2011, 05:28 AM
rumor has it tim tebow is currently sleeping in his car in the player's lot at dove valley. . .

I heard Tim also brought his head lamp and lap top computer to work on his "Book"!;)

UnderArmour
04-26-2011, 08:45 AM
http://twitter.com/#!/RichCimini/statuses/62869033359380480

D'Brickashaw Ferguson just left, says he wanted to work out but couldn't. Says this should count toward 750k w/o bonus.
Jerricho Cotchery was also illegally asked to leave the Jets facility. This is not going to help the NFL's case. Ferguson is sure to sure the Jets for his workout bonus now and the NFL is sure to be held in contempt of court.

EDIT: They were allowed into the facility just not allowed to use the cold tub or the weight room(?) and then asked to leave(?). Will clarify later.

LordTrychon
04-26-2011, 09:09 AM
So good to see political BS in here. :rolleyes:

Thataway to the P&R section, guys. ======>

I'm really interested to see if the stay gets ruled on, and how quick.

As much as I'd like the Broncos to be able to deal players RIGHT NOW... I don't agree with the court's decision on this, and really hope that the NFL gets some support in the other courts.

And it's not reasonable to expect all the clubs to know exactly how to proceed right away. Two legal battles still going on, and the rules as to how to treat players etc. have all been thrown out the window as of right now.

NightTrainLayne
04-26-2011, 09:45 AM
Several Political posts have been removed from the thread. Please leave political posts where they belong, in P&R.

BigDaddyBronco
04-26-2011, 09:47 AM
Several Political posts have been removed from the thread. Please leave political posts where they belong, in P&R.
Thank you Hitler.....

NightTrainLayne
04-26-2011, 09:49 AM
Thank you Hitler.....

I believe the correct salutation is "Heil".

T.K.O.
04-26-2011, 09:52 AM
i think we might see a quinn trade before an orton deal.....as Elway has already stated that orton is the starter....until TC that is;)

rcsodak
04-26-2011, 10:00 AM
so you're saying there's a chance?
Boooooo

tomjonesrocks
04-26-2011, 10:14 AM
Seems like the owners are really getting their ass handed to them so far--which is quite surprising to me.

What the players want is certainly not good for the fans. Who gives a shit about the fans though?

Might as well make some lemonade from lemons though and get Orton traded now though, as others are suggesting...

GEM
04-26-2011, 10:55 AM
The owners should be careful of keeping their facilities closed to players. The judge isn't going to look so kindly upon being disregarded.

rcsodak
04-26-2011, 11:09 AM
I think teams will be allowed time to get coaches/trainers back 1st. Plus, judge judy might give the stay appeoval just to muddy things up.
And the 8th CCA is the polar opposite of the 9th, meaning she could easily get overturned.

GEM
04-26-2011, 12:33 PM
I think teams will be allowed time to get coaches/trainers back 1st. Plus, judge judy might give the stay appeoval just to muddy things up.
And the 8th CCA is the polar opposite of the 9th, meaning she could easily get overturned.

8th is Dody, another player friendly judge....don't see it turning out much different.

rcsodak
04-26-2011, 12:38 PM
8th is Dody, another player friendly judge....don't see it turning out much different.he's an Appealate Judge?

GEM
04-26-2011, 12:48 PM
he's an Appealate Judge?

I dunno. On Mike & Mike this morning they said that the next thing is with the Dody judge, so they don't expect a whole lot different. :shrugs:

Warhawk
04-26-2011, 01:39 PM

My gut feeling is that she won't stay it. The reason? The weakness of the two main arguments the league is likely to use:

1. There will be chaos because we are not ready for the league year to commence.

The judge should have no time for that garbage - that's the league's fault for not preparing for what was a very possible outcome. The truth is they didnt want to prepare for that outcome.

2. We are confident the injunction will be scrapped on appeal.

The appeal court review is based on the ruling of the previous judge. They don't have the leeway to start over. Basically, they'd have to find something was seriously wrong with the original ruling. If Judge Judy feels that her ruling is strongly constructed (and that does seem to be perception of the media lawyer types right now), she won't be inclined to stay it.

Anyway, take it for what it is worth. The situation is such a mess, it's hard to see how things are going to work out at this point.

SM19
04-26-2011, 01:58 PM
8th is Dody, another player friendly judge....don't see it turning out much different.

Judge Doty is a district judge for the District of Minnesota (which is within the 8th Circuit; that's probably where the two Mikes' confusion comes from). He's not on the Court of Appeals.

GEM
04-26-2011, 02:22 PM
Thanks SM. I did wonder when I heard it, but didn't think much of it.

atwater27
04-26-2011, 06:26 PM

To deny and try to cover up the politics involved in the current NFL situation is to be completely blind and does a disservice to it.

GEM
04-26-2011, 06:28 PM
To deny and try to cover up the politics involved in the current NFL situation is to be completely blind and does a disservice to it.

When said political point that was deleted was pointing out what side of the fence the judge sat on, it has nothing to do with the conversation at hand.

atwater27
04-26-2011, 06:32 PM
When said political point that was deleted was pointing out what side of the fence the judge sat on, it has nothing to do with the conversation at hand.

Are you kidding? This just in.... there is not a hole in the middle of a doughnut. Because the hole just takes away from the subject of doughnuts.:tsk:

GEM
04-26-2011, 07:01 PM
Are you kidding? This just in.... there is not a hole in the middle of a doughnut. Because the hole just takes away from the subject of doughnuts.:tsk:

To have this argument just continues on the derailment of the thread. There is a thread in Town Hall on the subject that you are more than welcome to converse in.

Let's get this back on topic.

dogfish
04-26-2011, 08:21 PM

so start a thread in the politics forum. . .

:defense:

atwater27
04-26-2011, 08:27 PM
so start a thread in the politics forum. . .

:defense:

No. I ain't talkin bout it anymore here. Y'all can pussyfoot around the real meat of the issue and pretend it isn't political. I'll just laugh in the background and read about the political ramifications in the SPORTS page.

dogfish
04-26-2011, 08:37 PM
No. I ain't talkin bout it anymore here. Y'all can pussyfoot around the real meat of the issue and pretend it isn't political. I'll just laugh in the background and read about the political ramifications in the SPORTS page.

will it be an eeeeevil laugh?

Tned
04-26-2011, 08:48 PM

Great. Laugh about it without the commentary here. Win/Win.

Denver Native (Carol)
04-26-2011, 09:25 PM
The NFL is a long way from playing football.

One confusing day after a federal judge ended a 45-day lockout, small groups of players showed up at team facilities Tuesday -- let inside but told they would not be allowed to work out. Most left in a matter of minutes on a strange day with more questions than answers and the judge said she will take at least another day to consider whether she should put her order on hold.

U.S. District Judge Susan Richard Nelson in Minneapolis has given the league until 6 p.m. ET Wednesday to resubmit a request for a clarification on her ruling Monday that lifted the lockout. The league previously had filed an expedited motion for a stay. The stay would put Nelson's decision on hold pending further appeals. Nelson also gave the players until 10 a.m. ET Wednesday to respond to the stay request.

rest of article - http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81f7b5fe/article/judge-gives-league-a-day-to-refile-ruling-clarification-request?module=HP_headlines

atwater27
04-26-2011, 09:27 PM
Great. Laugh about it without the commentary here. Win/Win.

:heh:

You hear that?

Denver Native (Carol)
04-27-2011, 10:06 AM
MINNEAPOLIS -- NFL players say the league's request to put a federal judge's lockout ruling on hold should be denied because every day it remains in effect they suffer more harm.

Lawyers for the players filed their response to U.S. District Judge Susan Richard Nelson on Wednesday morning.

Nelson is weighing a request from the owners for a stay, which means the preliminary injunction she issued to lift the lockout would be frozen during the appeals process.

If Nelson grants the league's request, players want the NFL to post a $1 billion bond, roughly 25 percent of players' compensation last year.

The NFL says it needs the stay to keep the league year from starting before the rules are fair and clear.

rest of article - http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81f81ffa/article/players-cite-harm-to-careers-in-filing-to-prevent-lockout-stay?module=HP_headlines

rcsodak
04-27-2011, 11:32 AM
Judge Doty is a district judge for the District of Minnesota (which is within the 8th Circuit; that's probably where the two Mikes' confusion comes from). He's not on the Court of Appeals.
Exactly. They're more like Dork and Dork. ;)

My point was the 8th ACC is in St Louis, and condidered.....ummmmm.....the polar opposite of the 9th which is in Caleefornia. (Pc enuf? ;) )

GEM
04-27-2011, 12:49 PM
Exactly. They're more like Dork and Dork. ;)

My point was the 8th ACC is in St Louis, and condidered.....ummmmm.....the polar opposite of the 9th which is in Caleefornia. (Pc enuf? ;) )

Just fine because that is legal talk, not political. ;)

rcsodak
04-27-2011, 02:31 PM
YAY ME!

It wasn't even difficult. ;)

atwater27
04-27-2011, 06:16 PM

Yeah, because there is absolutely no politics involved in law and judges. LMMFAO

GEM
04-27-2011, 07:09 PM
Yeah, because there is absolutely no politics involved in law and judges. LMMFAO

Take it to town hall and stop derailing this thread.