PDA

View Full Version : Why not place Josh Barrett on the 53 man roster

roomemp
10-15-2008, 02:56 PM
Seriously.......Wouldn't you rather see him part of the eight man front. He might get burned in coverage but at least he could lay the wood against the run. Bring some attitude and fire to the D.

Traveler
10-15-2008, 04:11 PM
Seriously.......Wouldn't you rather see him part of the eight man front. He might get burned in coverage but at least he could lay the wood against the run. Bring some attitude and fire to the D.

Can't hurt IMO

SmilinAssasSin27
10-15-2008, 04:15 PM
I'd personally love to see what the kid can do in live action.

jrelway
10-15-2008, 04:21 PM
he must be in shannys doghouse or something.

LRtagger
10-15-2008, 04:26 PM
He just must not be game-ready yet. But at this point I don't see how he could make our defense any worse. At the same time I don't want to break the kids development by putting him in there too early.

Retired_Member_001
10-15-2008, 04:44 PM
I'd definitely give him a chance.

Skinny
10-15-2008, 04:47 PM
The season is still fairly young. I would'nt be suprised to see him on the active roster at some point before the season is over.

Alot of analysis in their draft reports said that Barrett played relatively soft considering his size and speed. Never really played to his full potential. Combine that with the mental errors youngsters usually make, and as mentioned in the Mile High Report that he's easily fooled on play-actions, fakes, etc... , having veterans McCree and Manuel i can understand why he is'nt on the active roster as of right now.

As much as i would also love to see him come in and contribute, i don't won't to just throw him in the fire if he's not prepared and see him struggle and hurt his confidence. Bring him along adequately and let him grasp the game from the practice feild and the film room. Hopefully that patience will pay off for us.

TXBRONC
10-15-2008, 05:19 PM
He just must not be game-ready yet. But at this point I don't see how he could make our defense any worse. At the same time I don't want to break the kids development by putting him in there too early.

Yeah kind of a double edged sword.

Npba900
10-15-2008, 07:44 PM

I think allowing him to play late in the 3rd and 4th Qtrs would help his development tremendously....so long as the game isn't on the line.

Ziggy
10-15-2008, 09:13 PM
I think allowing him to play late in the 3rd and 4th Qtrs would help his development tremendously....so long as the game isn't on the line.

I think you may be right Npba. The problem is, we've only had one game out of six that the game wasn't on the line in the third and fourth quarter. Something tells me that it's going to be that way in most of the next 10 games also.

LRtagger
10-16-2008, 10:25 AM
BIOGRAPHY: Full-time starter the past two seasons totaling 38/1/7 as a senior after 82/3/6 the previous year.

POSITIVES: King-sized defensive back coming off a disappointing campaign. Instinctive, displays a good head for the ball, and quickly diagnoses the action. Knows where he is on the field, displays ability in zone coverage, and possesses a closing burst of speed. An intimidating force in the middle of the field who can be a knockout hitter.

NEGATIVES: Not fluid or quick changing direction, loses ground when transitioning to run with opponents in coverage, and displays marginal lateral speed. Does not consistently play to his size or wrap up when tackling.

ANALYSIS: An imposing safety who.s at his best in the box, Barrett comes off an uninspired senior campaign, which caused his stock to drop. Rebounding with a sensational combine performance, he offers potential as a conventional strong safety and may be given looks at outside linebacker in a one-gap system. Barrett must quickly show some urgency in his play and get his game back on track to reach the potential that scouts feel he has.

PROJECTION: Early Third Round

Sounds like exactly what we need considering Manuel played in the box for a majority of the plays against Jax, but still did not make a difference against the run.

The knock on Barrett is he has the build of a linebacker, but he does not hit like one. If he can learn to hit and wrap up, he sounds like an athletic John Lynch.

LRtagger
10-16-2008, 10:40 AM
Here's another evaluation

Positives: Has a tall frame with decent overall muscle definition and long arms, but appears a bit lean in the lower body...Plays at a low pad level, keeping the action in front of him, but will struggle coming out of his breaks due to stiff hips...Shows good acceleration closing on the ball, running with good balance and body control coming up to make plays along the line...Has a good closing burst on action in front of him (struggles to get back on the route when the receiver gets behind him)...Is quick to close on the ball, when he locates it, but is very inconsistent when reading keys and bites often on play action...Has good field intelligence and won't have issues digesting a complicated playbook...Better playing in the box, as he likes to make plays in front of him (loses sight of the ball when playing deep)...Takes good angles on the move and has more than enough speed to run with the tight ends and covers receivers better than most safeties, when he comes out of his breaks cleanly and doesn't yield a big cushion...Loses some of his quickness when he gets flat-footed in his backpedal, but is quick to close when coming up in run force...Adjusts well to the receiver's moves in the route and when he sees the pass leave the quarterback's hands, he has the burst to get a good jump on the ball (will bite on play-action, though)... Anticipates the receiver's moves well when trailing and it is rare to see him under-play the ball when in zone coverage...Has good body adjustment skills to get under the thrown ball, but needs to time his leaps better to high point it...Has the range and speed to chase down plays going long distances (will struggle turning out of his breaks, but can stay on the hip of a receiver when mirroring)...Hands are suspect in attempts to make the interception, but he uses them well in attempts to reroute short-area receivers or shed blocks vs. tight ends...Plays under control and takes good angles to shorten the field and reduce the ball carrier's cut back lanes...Needs to get more physical with bigger blockers (likes to avoid), but does have the quickness to take a wide loop and pressure the pocket on the blitz...Not the type who will use his hidden strength to physically punish an opponent, but does generate enough force to bring the ball carrier down in isolated situations...Smart and instinctive enough to make the defensive calls...Has a knack for getting his hands into a receiver's jersey to reroute his opponent without getting caught...Also uses those hands well to ward off low blocks when working down the line...Has the hand strength to lock on and drag down the receiver (opponent will slip past when he gives a side, though)...Effective gunner on special teams...When playing in the box, he demonstrates the pursuit angles and range to string plays wide.

Negatives: Has an even proportioned, big frame, but is at maximum growth potential and any more weight will impact his impressive timed speed...Despite his timed speed, he has just adequate foot quickness and body control in his backpedal...Lacks suddenness closing on plays in front of him and is a little tight in his hips, as he is not able to suddenly plant and drive out of his breaks (gathers some)...Has good leaping ability, but like former ASU standout Adam Archuletta, he has poor timing on those jumps, failing to make proper adjustments to get under the ball or reach it at its high point...Has the frame of a linebacker, but it is rare to see him generate a lot of power behind his hits...Has impressive workout numbers, but they fail to translate to the football field (averaged just 3.7 tackles per game during his career)...Can close on the ball in front of him, but needs to drive harder with his legs and extend his arms to properly wrap and secure the ballcarrier (will dive at runners or take a side rather than square up)...Does not have the recovery burst to get back on the route when the receiver gets behind him...Not an instinctive player, making poor reads (or late) at times and is prone to biting on play-action...Must develop looser hips, as he struggles when redirecting and changing direction...Allows too much of a cushion vs. short-area receivers, who just settle into soft spots in front of him...Plays too flat-footed and is too rigid in his turns to come out of his cuts with a sudden burst... Has a litany of injury problems that lead to durability issues...For a player of his size, he tends to try to out-finesse blockers rather than attack them with aggression...Must show better consistency, as he will disappear for long stretches on the field and simply throttles down when not involved in the action (this, more so than injuries, led to a three-game benching in 2007).

Compares To: ADAM ARCHULETTA-Chicago...Just like Notre Dame's Tom Zbikowski and Archuletta, Barrett is a workout warrior who will greatly impress a team with his athletic ability, but all three fall under the "looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane" category. He has the size that the football gods would wish for all safeties, yet needs to be prodded to play up to that level at a consistent pace. He has a litany of injuries throughout his career that makes you wonder if Alan Alda and the M*A*S*H unit is going to be needed on the sideline. It is humorous that some experts compare him to Washington's LaRon Landry. While impressive athletically, he lacks the power, football intelligence, consistency and ability to change the tide of the game the way Landry does.

I highlighted in yellow the things where I think Barrett could be an improvement over Manuel. I highlighted things in red that I think would make Barrett a liability in our secondary.

HolyDiver
10-16-2008, 12:13 PM
he must be in shannys doghouse or something.

Probably right..........I'm sure Shanahan sees all that talent, but he probably has bad work ethics. A 225 pounder running in the 4.3? Must be frustrating for a coach to leave him on the PS, especially since we really could use Safety help right now.

CoachChaz
10-16-2008, 12:39 PM
He could at least help on ST

LRtagger
10-16-2008, 01:19 PM
Probably right..........I'm sure Shanahan sees all that talent, but he probably has bad work ethics. A 225 pounder running in the 4.3? Must be frustrating for a coach to leave him on the PS, especially since we really could use Safety help right now.

Everything I have read says that he is a workout warrior. It's no surprise considering his build and speed. I imagine his coverage and tackling skills have kept him off the roster. Those are things that can be fixed. If work ethic were the problem, then Mike shouldnt have drafted him.

turftoad
10-16-2008, 02:20 PM
Look, the guy was a 7th round (last round in the draft) draft pick. How many 7th round rookies do you see make an impact or even the active roster in thier first year??

I'll answer that, not many.

If he was ready, I'm sure he'd be moved up to the active roster. He's young, green and will get his chance. Just probably not this year.

Simple Jaded
10-16-2008, 02:28 PM
The only reason that I can think of why he's not on the active roster is that he hasn't been as good on ST's as he was advertised.

That, and the fact that Shanahan has a hardon for scrubs like Calvin Lowry and Vernon Fox......

56crash
10-16-2008, 02:32 PM
you know I think all the guys with the with an X on Slowik face need to see a shrink... get a grip

LRtagger
10-16-2008, 03:14 PM
you know I think all the guys with the with an X on Slowik face need to see a shrink... get a grip

I think Slowik needs to get a grip on the Defense.

The image in my signature is actually from a Green Bay website when they wanted him fired as their DC. It is no coincidence what he has turned our defense into.

Besides, after reading your banter in the DirectTV thread, it is you, my friend, that I think needs to get a grip.