PDA

View Full Version : Belli-cheat talks Broncos football

LRtagger
10-15-2008, 01:31 PM
http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afcwest/0-3-476/Belichick-talks-Broncos.html

October 15, 2008 1:49 PM

Posted by ESPN.com's Bill Williamson

New England coach Bill Belichick talked about the Denver Broncos Wednesday in a press conference leading up to the Monday night Broncos-Patriots game at New England. Here is a sampling of his comments:

Opening statement:

Belichick
Bill Belichick: After watching Denver over the last couple days, this is a real impressive football team. They have some familiar faces and a lot of new ones; some rookies are making a big impact for them. As usual, I think they are one of the best-coached teams in the league. I think Mike [Shanahan] does a tremendous job with his players, especially offensively. They are a very fast starting team. They score early and they score often. They are really throwing the ball well. They have an outstanding group of receivers, tight ends, [running] backs and their offensive line is playing well.

Defensively, they are fast. They have a very veteran secondary other than Jack Williams who comes in on sub for them. But their four starters are very experienced, fast linebackers and are a disruptive front. [They] are very good in the kicking game. They are right in the top of the league in kickoff coverage, punt coverage and returns. They have done a good job on the long field goals. Real solid football team, really good in every area of the game, well coached, fast, tough and we have a lot to get ready for this week. They are pretty good. They would be a lot more fun to watch if we didn't have to play them.

Q: Have they become more of a passing team?

BB: They have always had a good balance offensively and they still continue to do that. For example, against San Diego they were spread quite a bit. [Jay] Cutler is throwing the ball well. Their receivers are outstanding and are very good with the ball in their hands, especially [Eddie] Royal and [Brandon] Marshall. Those guys break a lot of tackles [and] make people miss in the secondary. [Tony] Scheffler too -- he is a receiver playing tight end. They have very good skill players and Cutler is throwing the ball well; he is very mobile in the pocket as well. It is fair to say they are throwing more than they did when we saw them two years ago.

Q: Have you noticed any difference in Jay Cutler this year compared to last?

BB: No. He looks pretty good to me. We didn't play him last year but he looks very good, very athletic, has a strong arm [and] can make all the throws. He can throw the ball as far as you want to throw it, as far as it can be thrown. He can get it down there but he has a good touch. He uses all of his receivers and tight ends. He will get the ball to the back some but he has hit the receivers and tight ends so much that the backs have become a lesser option for him. But he is very good. They do everything well, they really do.

Q: Rookie running back Ryan Torain could start practicing this week. Would that be difficult to prepare for?

BB: It is something that we will have to do the best we can to prepare for him. It was a little bit like the Kansas City game when [Branden] Albert didn't play all the way through preseason and then he lined up at left tackle. You go on what you've got. If he is in there than we will do the best we can to get ready for him. Some guys we know more about than others but that is a little bit of the case in the first half of the season. You are going to run into some guys you just haven't seen as much of. You have less to go on but sometimes that is true of your own guys too.

Q: Is there any difference in Denver's running game? Are they rotating guys through a little more than they were?

BB: Scheme-wise, no. The hard part about their running game isn't the plays; they run basically the same plays. They create a lot of different formations and they build them differently. You don't really see it until right when the ball is snapped. That's the hard part. It is the run force and getting everyone in the right position. Not that they do a lot of different blocking schemes; they don't have very many blocking schemes but they attack the edge of the defense probably as well as any team in football. That is really the heart of the problem, getting your run force and getting your perimeter guys in proper leverage to play the plays.

Q: How much do they use the 3-4 defense?

BB: They mix it in there. I would say they are primarily a 4-3 team, but they will mix it in there. They give you some different looks out of their 4-3 and 3-4 group and when they go into their sub packages they have some different looks on that too. They have a good mixture defensively. The one thing about it, no matter who is out there, it is a pretty fast group. They have fast players - guys that can run. It is hard to circle them up and get around all of them. You have to get into the defense and get some space there. It is hard to outrun [Champ] Bailey, D.J. Williams, [Nate] Webster, [Dewayne] Robertson and all those guys. They are a very good pursing team.

TXBRONC
10-15-2008, 01:33 PM
Thanks LR.

Ziggy
10-15-2008, 01:35 PM
Fluff. I'm guessing that with all the nice things he had to say, he's planning on winning by 30.

LRtagger
10-15-2008, 01:36 PM
Fluff. I'm guessing that with all the nice things he had to say, he's planning on winning by 30.

Thats what I was thinking while reading.

BroncoNut
10-15-2008, 01:43 PM
If he's not planning on winning, he shouldn't be coaching.

I read most of this, I think he's pretty accurate in describing the Denver Broncos. I think some of it is fluffed up, sure. thanks for the article LR.

claymore
10-15-2008, 02:17 PM
He was more than nice about our defense.

frauschieze
10-15-2008, 02:24 PM
He was more than nice about our defense.

I wonder if he was watching the right film.

Medford Bronco
10-15-2008, 02:30 PM
I wonder if he was watching the right film.

He must have been watching the 2005 film when the Bronx beat
the Pats in the playoffs and Brady threw 2 picks and they fumbled like 3 times.

Fan in Exile
10-15-2008, 03:05 PM
He's just avoiding any bulletin board material there's no reason to get the other team fired up after all.

BroncoNut
10-15-2008, 03:05 PM
He's just avoiding any bulletin board material there's no reason to get the other team fired up after all.

prolly

JKcatch724
10-15-2008, 04:17 PM
are a disruptive front.

This is about when I disregarded everything he said.

NameUsedBefore
10-15-2008, 04:57 PM
Defensively, they are fast. They have a very veteran secondary other than Jack Williams who comes in on sub for them. But their four starters are very experienced, fast linebackers and are a disruptive front.

No mention of the d-line.

El-oh-el.

spikerman
10-15-2008, 05:05 PM
No mention of the d-line.

El-oh-el.

I think that's what he meant by "and are a disruptive front". Obviously he was lying or he's never actually seen them play.

NameUsedBefore
10-15-2008, 05:11 PM
I think that's what he meant by "and are a disruptive front". Obviously he was lying or he's never actually seen them play.

I thought he was talking about the linebackers (in the 3-4 we've been toying with).

Lonestar
10-15-2008, 05:40 PM
BB was providing ZERO bulletin board fodder..

He is pumping smoke up SLowick butt or he has not watched the defense play.. Especially the dLINE note the small D..

Sometimes it is hard to get the real drift of the press conference till you see it.

While he was talking about our defense, he had a look on his face like a hungry lion looks at a wounded zebra..

BroncoWave
10-15-2008, 05:53 PM
He's not really in much of a position to give any bulletin board material seeing as he's kind of Shanny's bitch.

dogfish
10-15-2008, 06:00 PM

no doubt, but sometimes the best laid plans of mice and men. . . .

Lonestar
10-15-2008, 06:27 PM
no doubt, but sometimes the best laid plans of mice and men. . . .

don't you mean mikey and men..:laugh::laugh::laugh: