PDA

View Full Version : Updated to 1.1.2 -- Free BroncosForums.com Android app now available in the Android Market

Tned
04-22-2011, 10:08 PM
Ok, the Android app is now available to install on your android device. While I'm responsible for the dodgy color scheme you will see in the mobile app, we can thank Mastershake for the nice BroncosForums.com graphics used in the Android Market, app icon, etc.

This is the first release of the vBulletin mobile suite, so it still needs some refinement. I expect vBulletin to be releasing upgrades with no features and a few bug fixes fairly regularly, and I will get the BroncosForums version uploaded to the Android Market as soon as possible after vBulletin releases updates.

You can install BF Mobile (https://market.android.com/details?id=com.vbulletin.build_166) at the Android Market place.

One thing that will probably jump out at you is when viewing a thread, BB code (quotes, bold, font color, etc.) don't display right. So, you will actually see the [ quote] tags rather than seeing the quoted material like you are used to. If you click on a post, it will zoom into that post and then it displays properly. vBulletin is aware of this and that will hopefully be fixed in their first update.

I have registered for an Apple Developer account, and on Thursday they asked for some documents for verification, which I have sent. I have no idea how long it will take to complete, but I expect them to activate my account sometime next week. After that, I will publish the Iphone version of the app, but I am told there will also be some delay while Apple reviews and approves the app. I am told this can be days or weeks.

The http://mobile.broncosforums.com/forums link is still available for people that don't have an android or just want a lean, slimmed down interface. There is more information about the mobile view here: http://www.broncosforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=139591

EDIT: 6/22/2011

The Android app has now been updated to version 1.1.2 with the following changes:

•Support for BBCode (formatting: bold, quotes, etc.)
•Added link to Last Unread Post
•Added reload button
•Ability to install on SD Cards
•New pagination bar
•Added spanish language pack
•Bug fixes

Lonestar
04-22-2011, 10:40 PM
Ok, the Android app is now available to install on your android device. While I'm responsible for the dodgy color scheme you will see in the mobile app, we can thank Mastershake for the nice BroncosForums.com graphics used in the Android Market, app icon, etc.

This is the first release of the vBulletin mobile suite, so it still needs some refinement. I expect vBulletin to be releasing upgrades with no features and a few bug fixes fairly regularly, and I will get the BroncosForums version uploaded to the Android Market as soon as possible after vBulletin releases updates.

You can install BF Mobile (https://market.android.com/details?id=com.vbulletin.build_166) at the Android Market place.

One thing that will probably jump out at you is when viewing a thread, BB code (quotes, bold, font color, etc.) don't display right. So, you will actually see the [ quote] tags rather than seeing the quoted material like you are used to. If you click on a post, it will zoom into that post and then it displays properly. vBulletin is aware of this and that will hopefully be fixed in their first update.

I have registered for an Apple Developer account, and on Thursday they asked for some documents for verification, which I have sent. I have no idea how long it will take to complete, but I expect them to activate my account sometime next week. After that, I will publish the Iphone version of the app, but I am told there will also be some delay while Apple reviews and approves the app. I am told this can be days or weeks.

MAKE SURE TO USE SCOPE..

that may hurry it along.

sorry about the caps.

SR
04-22-2011, 10:52 PM
Good job...looking forward to the iPhone app, even though Tapatalk works just fine.

cuzz4169
04-22-2011, 10:59 PM
nice job on the app. thank you

NightTrainLayne
04-22-2011, 11:29 PM
I don't know if I trust this site well enough to accept the permissions.

Tned
04-23-2011, 12:37 AM
By the way, I know about the typo in the app description (brocnosforums), but even though I have updated it in the Android publisher website, it still shows the old description. I'm trying to figure out how to get that updated/fixed.

sneakers
04-23-2011, 12:41 AM
I have it now!

Tned
04-23-2011, 12:49 AM
I have it now!

Cool. There are a number of things they are aware of and should hopefully address, like there is no "go to first unread post" functionality. Things like that.

However, this app was only released by vBulletin on Tuesday, so if you guys see any problems let me know, and I will add it to vB's bug/feature request list.

girler
04-23-2011, 01:14 AM
Oh no, now I can be addicted to this site even in the car or in bed. :shocked:

guitarj
04-23-2011, 03:08 AM
Thanks, downloaded! Works for me

Davii
04-23-2011, 11:30 AM

TNed, did you make this just for me? I think you made this because you know that forums being blocked on government computers have taken my time down to next to nothing on here, but I have this amazing android thing in my pocket.

I heart you.

NightTrainLayne
04-23-2011, 11:48 AM
I installed the app, but it's not as easy as just loading the full site. A little easier to read, but that's about it.

Plus, obviously, no moderator functions on it.

frauschieze
04-23-2011, 12:02 PM
Looks like the description has been updated. Downloading now!

Tned
04-23-2011, 12:10 PM
I installed the app, but it's not as easy as just loading the full site. A little easier to read, but that's about it.

Plus, obviously, no moderator functions on it.

I'll check on the moderation stuff. Just the week before release they were touting it including mod functions.

Its faster than Fullsite but lacks some features. Hopefully it will keep being improved.

frauschieze
04-23-2011, 12:14 PM
It's way easier to read than on full site and I like the auto changing pages. It will be interesting to see what modifications happen. Mod access would be sweet. Thanks for doing this, Tned. One more reason I should ban myself for the duration of my college career.

NightTrainLayne
04-23-2011, 12:17 PM
I'll check on the moderation stuff. Just the week before release they were touting it including mod functions.

Its faster than Fullsite but lacks some features. Hopefully it will keep being improved.

My new phone is the Thunderbolt, on the Verizon 4G network. Speed ain't a problem, it loads just as fast as my laptop.

I'll keep an eye on it as it is updated though. It is easier to read, sized for the phone better.

Davii
04-23-2011, 12:21 PM
My new phone is the Thunderbolt, on the Verizon 4G network. Speed ain't a problem, it loads just as fast as my laptop.

I'll keep an eye on it as it is updated though. It is easier to read, sized for the phone better.

It loads quick on 3G, I have the EVO and I know 4G loads faster than my laptop in many instances.

Tned
04-23-2011, 12:25 PM
It's way easier to read than on full site and I like the auto changing pages. It will be interesting to see what modifications happen. Mod access would be sweet. Thanks for doing this, Tned. One more reason I should ban myself for the duration of my college career.

I'll see if I can block your mobile access for your own good!!! :lol:

Yea, I agree I like the scrolling down to see full thread without having to change pages. Now if they would just add the go to first post functionality.

NightTrainLayne
04-23-2011, 12:26 PM
It loads quick on 3G, I have the EVO and I know 4G loads faster than my laptop in many instances.

The 4G is unreal. I've run the laptop through the phone's wi-fi on 4G, and it is absolutely blazing. No noticeable difference from the cable modem.

I went ahead a went with the Thunderbolt so that I could lock up unlimited data through Verizon for the next two years. Looks like they're going to go to a tiered plan before they release any other phones on the 4G network.

Davii
04-23-2011, 02:18 PM
The 4G is unreal. I've run the laptop through the phone's wi-fi on 4G, and it is absolutely blazing. No noticeable difference from the cable modem.

I went ahead a went with the Thunderbolt so that I could lock up unlimited data through Verizon for the next two years. Looks like they're going to go to a tiered plan before they release any other phones on the 4G network.

Sprint seems to be the only company not planning a tiered plan. That makes me happy, I get unlimited everything for 75 a month and only 20$ add a line. My bill is significantly less than most people I know on other networks. If it stays that way, great, if not then I will move to someone else.

I think the tiered plan is a bad idea, it will definitely hamstring the development of many smart phones. On the plus side though, maybe it will force Apple to stop tracking customers every move in order to save bandwidth!

Tned
04-23-2011, 11:26 PM

Ok, there are some moderation tools (delete post, move, etc.). I didn't see them at first, because if you go to a thread via "home" or "newest posts" the option isn't available.

If you go to forums, then enter a forum, and then enter a thread, then there is a moderation button at the bottom that gives you options. Plus, you have the ability to edit posts.

Davii
04-23-2011, 11:43 PM
Ok, there are some moderation tools (delete post, move, etc.). I didn't see them at first, because if you go to a thread via "home" or "newest posts" the option isn't available.

If you go to forums, then enter a forum, and then enter a thread, then there is a moderation button at the bottom that gives you options. Plus, you have the ability to edit posts.

Is there a way to read PM's?

Tned
04-23-2011, 11:46 PM
Is there a way to read PM's?

Yep. Hit the menu/settings button (can't remember what Android calls it, but the button that most apps use to get to settings), it will bring up a menu, which includes forums, notifications, messages and more.

There is also a notification bar near the top of the app that will show if you have any notifications, and if you do and click on that, it will bring you to a list of notifications, and you can click on messages to view PMs.

SR
04-24-2011, 09:55 AM
TNed, did you make this just for me? I think you made this because you know that forums being blocked on government computers have taken my time down to next to nothing on here, but I have this amazing android thing in my pocket.

I heart you.

The Air Force doesn't block this site...at least not here. ;)

SR
04-24-2011, 09:57 AM

Verizon is doing a lot of things I don't like...like the no unlimited data and the no more new every two. I'm glad I got my iPhone and unlimited data when I did.

Tned
04-25-2011, 11:19 AM
Verizon is doing a lot of things I don't like...like the no unlimited data and the no more new every two. I'm glad I got my iPhone and unlimited data when I did.

The incredible amount of data that smartphones, and specifically Ipods are using, have swamped AT&Ts network, and Verizon fears the same thing.

I don't like them putting the caps in place, but I understand.

slim
04-25-2011, 01:18 PM

Price of gas > $3.50 and richie rich here gets a new phone.

Interesting.

Tned
04-25-2011, 05:58 PM
Anymore feedback on the app?

GEM
04-25-2011, 06:02 PM
I downloaded it and used it a couple times. I am such a creature of habit though, I don't like it as much as just using the full site. I am not a gadget and gizmo kind of gal, so I haven't taken the time to go through the mobile site. Sorry.

frauschieze
04-26-2011, 12:38 AM
It doesn't recognize when you've read threads on the mobile site, and then go back to the regular site. Kind of annoying. But it's still pretty convenient and I'll continue to use it.

gnomeflinger
04-26-2011, 12:53 AM
I'll have to check it out.

Tned
04-26-2011, 07:37 AM
It doesn't recognize when you've read threads on the mobile site, and then go back to the regular site. Kind of annoying. But it's still pretty convenient and I'll continue to use it.

I'll pass that on and find out what the status is on fixing it.

vBulletin just released an update for the mobile app for their own site, but I think it mostly fixes bugs. They are using that as their beta test, and then once they feels it's ok, they will release it to us to roll out. This is the process they will be using.

They say they are working on the go to new post, BB code (getting quotes, bold, etc. to appear correctly) and links that don't work.

Hopefully, they will fix most of the bad stuff quickly.

Tned
05-11-2011, 12:54 PM
Ok, I just uploaded an update to the Android app to the marketplace. It's primarily some bug and user interface fixes.

vBulletin still haven't fixed the "go to first unread post" and a few other things like that, but hopefully those will be coming soon.

MasterShake
05-11-2011, 04:51 PM
The graphics for the app icon are ******* sweet as ******* hell! Surely a handsome man with impeccaple taste designed them!

:lol:

muse
05-11-2011, 05:28 PM
Erm, would it be possible for the Android one to incorporate the Move to SD function? I have fewer than 20 mb left on internal storage, can't even install flash player...

Tned
05-11-2011, 05:56 PM
Erm, would it be possible for the Android one to incorporate the Move to SD function? I have fewer than 20 mb left on internal storage, can't even install flash player...

vBulletin is programming the Iphone/Android apps, but I will definately make that suggestion to them. It might be a little while, because they are working on bug fixes and core functionality (like go to first post, quotes/formatting showing correctly, etc), but I'll make sure it's on their list.

BigSarge87
05-11-2011, 06:11 PM
FWIW, I have the droid version and I love it. Thanks to everyone (Just TNed?) who made it possible. It works great on my X.

Tned
05-26-2011, 08:44 PM
Just a heads up, very soon I will have an update for the Android app that fixes a number of bugs, and also adds a "go to first unread post" for each thread. It's just been released for testing by vBulletin and assuming that goes well, the previous versions have been made available to us 3-5 days later.

There Iphone app is still several versions back and not as stable/full feature as the Android app (that really needed this upcoming update), plus I have to provide more info to get my Apple developer account approved before they will take my $100 fee (I REALLY hate Apple). However, I will try and get the developer account issue resolved, so when they do finally release an equivalent iOS app, I will do my best to make it available.

BroncoJoe
05-26-2011, 10:29 PM
Lol -

content rating:
Low maturity

frauschieze
05-27-2011, 10:02 AM
Lol -

:laugh:

It says that? Awesome.

Davii
05-27-2011, 11:20 AM

It says that? Awesome.

It made me laugh when I saw it. Interestingly enough the official NFL app says the same.

Tned
05-27-2011, 12:58 PM

It says that? Awesome.

Yea, hate to say it, but I think we resemble that description! :lol:

Tned
05-27-2011, 12:59 PM
It made me laugh when I saw it. Interestingly enough the official NFL app says the same.

Yea, it's a funny phrase they are using, but it's the result of saying there isn't nudity, strong sexual content, violent material, etc. when creating the app description.

BroncoWave
05-31-2011, 11:36 AM
Any update on the iPhone app?

Tned-Mobile
05-31-2011, 05:58 PM
Any update on the iPhone app?

No. They are having trouble getting the updates through, because Apple can take up to six weeks to approve an app, which then delays how quickly they get it out to users to test. vBulletin has been releasing the updates that work just for vBulletin.com as a means of testing.

On top of that, I haven't had a chance to finish the paperwork for my developer account. When I get back from the current trip that I'm on (on the 8th), I'll start work on it again.

Tned
06-22-2011, 06:15 PM
The Android app has now been updated to version 1.1.2 with the following changes:

•Support for BBCode (formatting: bold, quotes, etc.)
•Added link to Last Unread Post
•Added reload button
•Ability to install on SD Cards
•New pagination bar
•Added spanish language pack
•Bug fixes

rcsodak
06-22-2011, 06:46 PM
Spanish?

Glad to see you assimilate.

:rolleyes:

guitarj
06-24-2011, 04:30 AM
Looking good! Thanks for all you do!!
I don't post much, but I lurk a lot.

Tned
07-25-2011, 06:57 PM
Bumping for people that don't know about it.

guitarj
07-29-2011, 11:24 PM
Bumping for people that don't know about it.

Any chance you can make this available on tapatalk? Thanks again for all you do!

RedFalcon
07-30-2011, 02:10 AM
Downloaded the app too, works just great. Many thanks...

Tned
07-30-2011, 08:32 AM
Any chance you can make this available on tapatalk? Thanks again for all you do!

Nope, there have just been too many security issues related to Tapatalk in the past. Tapatalk is a more polished app right now, but I'm not willing to work with them at this point. Hopefully, vBulletin will keep improving their app over time.

guitarj
07-31-2011, 12:28 AM
Nope, there have just been too many security issues related to Tapatalk in the past. Tapatalk is a more polished app right now, but I'm not willing to work with them at this point. Hopefully, vBulletin will keep improving their app over time.

Ok. Didnt realize they had an app. Seems to be geared for forum developers and administrators. To Bad it doesnt provide a glossary for users to access all their forums. Maybe thats coming sometime. I like the way tapatalk is layed out, but no Bronco or guitar forums Im a member of are on there.

Tned
07-31-2011, 12:45 AM
Ok. Didnt realize they had an app. Seems to be geared for forum developers and administrators. To Bad it doesnt provide a glossary for users to access all their forums. Maybe thats coming sometime. I like the way tapatalk is layed out, but no Bronco or guitar forums Im a member of are on there.

The way vBulletin works, each forum (like BF) has to buy their mobile suite, customize it, then upload it to the Android Market or Itunes on our own developer account.

I have the Android app on the Android Market place (just search BroncosForums), but haven't gotten my Apple developer account setup, because it's a pain in the butt. Hopefully, I'll have that done and an Iphone app up before the season starts.

UrbanBounca
07-31-2011, 08:40 PM
Tned,

I'm loving the app, but I can't seem to stay signed in. I tend to "back out" of every app to properly close it, but when attempting on the BroncosForums.com app, it's saying I need to sign out. I don't want to have to sign in every time I open the app.

Tned
07-31-2011, 08:43 PM
Tned,

I'm loving the app, but I can't seem to stay signed in. I tend to "back out" of every app to properly close it, but when attempting on the BroncosForums.com app, it's saying I need to sign out. I don't want to have to sign in every time I open the app.

I'll check on that. When I use it, I Just leave it open and let Android shut it down after it hadn't been used in a while.

Reidman
08-02-2011, 10:15 AM
Damn apple, they take wayyyy too long to approve things. I'm hardly ever on a laptop or computer anymore except to watch movies and trying to navigate forums in a mobile browser is ridiculous! Thanks for trying to push this through Tned. I used to get a popup when going to vbulletin boards saying there was a mobile version but I don't remember what it was....

Tned-Mobile
08-02-2011, 03:28 PM
In the meantime you can try http://mobile.broncosforums.com/forums

Tned
08-08-2011, 01:37 PM
Hey, it would be helpful if you could go to the android market and post some reviews on the BF Mobile app -- hopefully, good reviews/5 stars, but that's your call.

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.vbulletin.build_166

NightTerror218
08-11-2011, 06:14 PM
I will be getting an Android phone prob next Friday.....I will get the app might away

Tned
09-13-2011, 07:54 PM
vBulletin is close to releasing an upgrade for the Android app. Hopefully, within the next week or so. It fixes a number of bugs, and is supposed to improve paging and refreshing of threads. Hopefully it also fixes the new post function.

rcsodak
09-28-2011, 01:09 PM
Should a thread not ever show being read? I always end up at the 1st post when revisiting or after posting.

Mobile Post via http://Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

Tned
09-28-2011, 02:50 PM
Should a thread not ever show being read? I always end up at the 1st post when revisiting or after posting.

The "go to first unread post" feature and some other thread marking stuff isn't working. I'm hoping the next version that vB releases, which is in testing, will fix that, but I don't have any confirmation yet.

rcsodak
09-28-2011, 02:56 PM
The "go to first unread post" feature and some other thread marking stuff isn't working. I'm hoping the next version that vB releases, which is in testing, will fix that, but I don't have any confirmation yet.
K. Thx, T. Figured it couldn't be ME! ;')

Rick
09-28-2011, 10:32 PM
I didn't read the posts here so if if someone already posted..or if I am missing a setting sorry.

I will probably use it at some point but will wait until there is a way to turn off avatars?

I have sigs and avatars disabled on main site as well and would like to use that on the app.

Good job on it, very nice.

Tned
09-28-2011, 10:51 PM
I didn't read the posts here so if if someone already posted..or if I am missing a setting sorry.

I will probably use it at some point but will wait until there is a way to turn off avatars?

I have sigs and avatars disabled on main site as well and would like to use that on the app.

Good job on it, very nice.

I'm not sure. I'll try and remember to check into it tomorrow.

Thnikkaman
11-24-2011, 10:53 PM
tned, I've been enjoying the droid app for a while now, and there are a couple pod things that would be nice.

2 store the apps data files in the sd card
3 fix the unread post button, it doesn't seem rio work 90 percent of the time.

Tned
11-24-2011, 11:46 PM
tned, I've been enjoying the droid app for a while now, and there are a couple pod things that would be nice.

2 store the apps data files in the sd card
3 fix the unread post button, it doesn't seem rio work 90 percent of the time.

About two months ago they said the next version was only a few weeks from release, but they have not released it yet or given another update. I'm hoping the unread post feature is fixed.

If the SD card isn't on their feature request list, I'll see if I can add it.

rcsodak
11-25-2011, 01:27 AM
How about uploading pics?

Tned
11-25-2011, 12:15 PM
How about uploading pics?

You can with the android and Iphone apps, but not the mobile site you are using.

Also, after the season, I am going to upgrade to vBulletin 4.x -- can't keep putting it off -- and the mobile site (not app) is supposed to be much, much better than the limited one currently in use at mobile.broncosforums.com

BroncoJoe
11-25-2011, 03:27 PM
You can with the android and Iphone apps, but not the mobile site you are using.

Also, after the season, I am going to upgrade to vBulletin 4.x -- can't keep putting it off -- and the mobile site (not app) is supposed to be much, much better than the limited one currently in use at mobile.broncosforums.com

That's cool - the app is nice looking, etc, but I am so used to the mobile site I continue to use that one. The biggest reason is it removes unread threads from view, when you choose today's posts.

Thnikkaman
11-25-2011, 04:02 PM
that would be awesome. either that our better data management since I end up having to delete the app data every three or so days since it eats up my internal storage.

mobgod
09-10-2015, 11:41 AM
Where is the app I like to use it rather than the mobile site