PDA

View Full Version : Telesma- O(H)M review

Northman
04-22-2011, 12:21 PM
www.itsallaboutmusic.net (http://www.itsallaboutmusic.net)

Yea yea, I know.

Ive have seen Telesma live 3 times so far and have yet to write a review on the last opus "O(H)M" let alone dive deeply into the Telesma experience. Maybe its because im still in a mezmerizing trance and daze from the talent that oozes from band members Chris Mandra, Jason Sage, Ian Hedsford, Bryan Jones, and Brandon Wildman respectively. Or it could simply be the beautiful haunting voice of Joanne Juskus the lead vocalist i dont know but one thing is for certain. I LOVE this band and everything that it incorporates and embodies into their music.

Leaving the music aside for just a moment and focusing on what they bring to their live shows is something of a splendid grandeur all its own. With a sense of spiritual freedom filled with mysticism and shamanistic vibes the band and the audience gets lost within themselves as they dance and sway to the music. After having some discussions with the band personally and learning that a majority of what happens in the audience is of total fan participation with the use of glowing hoola hoops and other psychedelic gadgets that get twirled around as they dance makes it that even more inviting.

Furthermore, bellydancers such as Leyla Fahada who have been working with Telesma by performing at their shows for a while now adds a whole other dimension to an already breathtaking live performance. Whether its the twirling around and dancing in the audience or balancing swords on their heads as they dance is truly amazing.The entire experience is something to truly behold for any individual who can reach deep inside themselves and find their inner zen. As i have experienced myself, if one member is down or not feeling up to standards the rest of the band engages and picks up the slack in support with a unique versatility and improvisations that the band showcases with flawless effort. The energy and wave of the musical atmosphere that Telesma create is truly one of a kind with band members who are humble and as down to earth as you can possibly get.

Yet, as fantastic as the live shows are it really is the music that is the driving force behind it all. And with that we dive into the world known as O(H)M. Almost being 5 years since its release the album has lost NONE of its luster or impact. Its as fresh today as it was when it was first recorded and that says something about how well the music is written. Having added elements that range from didgeridoo's, wind instruments, stand up bass, as well as quite a few other interesting and unique equipment it gives the music a rich and textured soundscape that in my mind cannot be matched.

Although my favorite tracks are "Waking Serpent", "Immanence", "Polarize", "Egyptian Sun", and "Penumbra" every track is fabulous and showcases every ounce of talent that these individuals possess. There are so many elements that they add which range from ambient to progressive to trance and funk. The possibilities are endless with Telesma and there are no boundaries holding them back. As a avid metal fan who has seen countless bands dabble with such elements in their own music, this is the main focus of Telesma and it is very easy for me to appreciate the art that is being conveyed throughout this record.

The musical connection that Telesma generate with their audience goes deeper than anything i have witnessed in over 35 years of listening to music. When i first started this review you may have thought that i was joking in regards to being mezmerized. Not so, the music does just that and totally envelopes the listener never letting go. This album takes you beyond the real world and places you into a world of serenity and peace and total imagination. I once heard at a recent show that Telesma is a musical experience that you can actually see, hear, and taste and although at the time didnt understand it i do now. With soothing vocals and a blend of cosmic energy this is a vessel that has easily transported my soul well beyond anything i could have imagined.

At this point in time ive only heard one new track called "Action" but eagerly await more from this band. But for now O(H)M will continue to get massive play from me that will continue to test my senses, continue to move me, continue to inspire me, and continue to open a door to another dimension of my mind and caress my cerebral. Whether its Joanne singing her beautiful melodic and tranquil voice, Chris strumming and lighting up his guitar, Byran slapping and burning up the frets of his bass, Ian with the didgeridoo and other unique instruments, Jason on the bongo's and keyboards, or Brandon adding the percussion one thing is for certain. Telesma is the embodiment of music, taking the listener well beyond the vision of reality. As a fan of music that is often chaotic and crushing they hit me in a way that no rock or metal band ever has. Frankly put, i am a prismatic slave drinking the intoxicating sound known as Telesma.
Although this vid is dated (different members) the music is the same and atmosphere as well. Very good and high quality vid, check it out ya'll. :)

cHhnfcKW35s

A more recent lineup.
OFVtFhIF-K8

BroncoNut
04-22-2011, 12:28 PM
nice write up North. Poetic

they have a seductive quality about them